How to improve the Visual Quality and Anti-Aliasing of World of Warships - A Step-by-Step Guide

graphics sweetfx reshade anti-aliasing jaggies guide step-by-step gfx gpu nvidia

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

vas7eel #1 Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:24 AM

Seaman

• Members

Hello all,

I spent some time figuring out how to improve the visual quality of the game.  Mostly this was by digging through reddit and a posts on the EU forums, which were in german.  This required a little effort to get working, because the settings offered up wouldn't work for me.  Through some trial and error, and further reading from other sources I managed to fine a good balance between performance and visual quality while greatly improving the anti-aliasing over the in game options.  Finally, the wires and ropes on the ship look good!

I also spent some time installing SweetFX + Reshade, creating a profile that I think looks better than the vanilla Warships experience.  So after all of that, I thought I'd share how to do it, in one easy place and include the things I modified.

Below are my system specs, it's fairly high end but no longer top dog.  I'm posting so you can compare performance if necessary and help with any troubleshooting.  Please note this setup is Nvidia only, I have no clue how to fix AA (Anti-Aliasing) with AMD cards, but there's probably something similar.  I'm getting a fairly solid >60fps with occasional dips to 55fps @ 2560x1600. 

Update 07/20/16

• Modified Texture filtering to fix skybox issues on certain maps.  This was reported on reddit, and by using the new values it seems to have fixed it.
  • Added an explanation how to revert setting back to the default, to un-install the AA settings.

My system:

• Windows 10 64bit
  • i5-4690k @ 4.2Ghz
  • 16Gb Ram
  • Nvidia 980ti
  • Nvidia driver at time of writing: 368.81

Initial Steps:

1. Make sure you have the latest Nvidia drivers installed
  2. Download and install NVIDIA Inspector 1.9.7.6 [274.83 KB]​​- Original German link
  3. Open World of Warships.  Go to Settings and make sure you set Antialiasing: FXAA -> OFF

4. Optional, but recommended - press ALT-Enter to put your game into windowed mode.  You can put it back into fullscreen mode after you have confirmed that the Antialiasing is improved and working.  I found that the options suggested on the German forums crashed my game, and sometimes my system, but when in windowed mode I was able to close the application.

5. Close World of Warships

Image showing Antialiasing turned off, in case you can't find it.... Doh!

After you have done the initial steps above, it's time to configure things.

Setting up Anti-aliasing to fix jaggies

1. Nvidia Inspector will have two applications, The nvidiaInspector (allows you to monitor your GPU and overclock if you'd like) and nvidiaProfileInspector (allows you to customize graphics options per game, with more control than the nvidia tools in the control panel allow). Open nvidiaProfileInspector 
  2. There is a drop down/search box called Profiles:, click and type World of Warships and select.
  3. Now follow these next steps to the T, you will need to type in the following, you should copy paste.
    • Compatibility
      1. Antialiasing compatibility: 0x404012C1
        1. Don't worry if the above code doesn't show up in the list, you can just type it in
      2. Antialiasing compatibility (DX1x): 0x404012C1 
        1. Don't worry if the above code doesn't show up in the list, you can just type it in
      3. SLI compatibilty bits: 0x42480005 (World of Tanks, World of Warships) - After you paste the numbers, I went ahead and selected it from the menu, just to be sure.
    • Sync and Refresh 
      1. Vertical Sync: Force on
      2. Vertical Sync Tear Control: Adaptive
    • ​Antialiasing 
      1. ​Antialiasing - Behavior Flags: None
      2. Antialiasing - Mode: Override any application setting
      3. Antialiasing - Setting: 4x [4x Multisampling]
      4. Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling: 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling
    • Texture Filtering
      1. Anisotropic filtering mode: User-defined / Off
      2. Anisotropic filtering setting: 4x
      3. Texture filtering - LOD Bias (DX): -0.1250
      4. Texture filtering - LOD Bias (OGL): -0.1250
  4. Click Apply Changes on the upper right corner

To revert AA settings back to default do the following

1. open nvidiaProfileInspector 
  2. There is a drop down/search box called Profiles:, click and type World of Warships and select.
  3. click "restore defaults" button 
  4. click apply
  5. you have now "uninstalled" the AA settings.

nvidiaProfileInspector settings

Now this should give you a MUCH improved look to the game, the horrible ship jaggies on wires and ropes should now look awesome.  Start Wows and check your ships out in port, to make sure it looks better, while giving you an acceptable frame rate.  If things are running, and you went into windowed mode you can go back to fullscreen, with ALT-Enter.

If your performance is noticeably slower, you can try lowering the Antialiasing settings from 4x to 2x for most or all of the options and try again.  For me, these were the settings that worked best.  After you are happy, close Wows.

Setting up SweetFX to improve the visual quality of the game

Download and install SweetFX 2.0 (Preview 8 | ReShade 1.1.0)

1. Run ReShade Setup.exe

2. When installing, select the WorldOfWarships.exe executable from wherever you've installed Warships.

3. It will autodetect the proper directX type, 

4. your warships install directory will now have a SweetFX directory in there

5. Download the attached zip file,  Attached File  vas7eel_SweetFX.zip   9.32K  and extract the two txt files to the SweetFX directory in your Wows installation from step 4.

6. I have bound the key "Pause/Break" to turn SweetFX on/off.  You can reconfigure keybindings in the Global_settings.txt file 

7. Launch World of Warships.  You will know that SweetFX is running by seeing a splash screen on the upper Left of the game as it loads. 

8. Enjoy a more beautiful game!

FYI, I've added my SweetFX preset to the SweetFX DB.  This means that those of you that use Overwolf can switch to different SweetFX presets while in game, which is handy.  

I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial.  Let me know how it works for you guys.  It made a huge visual difference to my game, and without much of a performance hit for my setup.  I'm just happy that it looks so much nicer.  I hope you all get the same results.  

I'm probably going to be working on a more cinematic version of the SweetFX profile.  I'll share it with you here if it is something I think works better than this,  I personally prefer a more natural, realistic look over a hyper saturated one, so I don't punch up color too much.  

Some not-so-great-but-better-than-nothing before and after

Yamato

Atlanta

References:

http://forum.worldof...ing-aktivieren/

http://reshade.me/

https://www.reddit.c...or_wows_nvidia/

Edited by vas7eel, 21 July 2016 - 06:58 PM.

pmgaudio #2 Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:34 AM

Vice Admiral

• Members

interesting...I will mess around a bit tomorrow... thanks

“Leave the gun....
Take the Cannoli”
  __Clemenza

:child:

DelroyMonjo #3 Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:43 AM

Ensign

• Members

Looks  like it did wonders for the jaggies on the guys and the wires but some details seem to be softened somewhat,  maybe because of shadows,  not sure.

Might give it a try when I dig out my WQHD monitor to try out my shiny new GTX1070.  Tried SweetFX on another  game but didn't see much improvement although I didn't pursue it too much.

Spoiler
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz @4.2GHz
CoolerMaster Hyper Evo 212 CPU heatsink/fan 
RAM 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 933MHz (10-11-10-30)
Motherboard ASRock Z87 Extreme6
ASUS PB277Q (2560x1440@75Hz) 27" monitor
EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB GPU 
 223GB Crucial_CT240M500SSD1 ATA Device (SSD)Games
 238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB ATA Device (SSD)  Win 7 and drivers 
 931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device (SATAIII)Other programs for daily use 
  TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223L ATA Device
Audio
 Realtek High Definition Audio ALC1150 Audio Codec
Speakers  Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers

Mezurashi #4 Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:49 AM

Will this work on lower spec cards? Just curious... (Lower spec as in Nvidia 750ti and Nvidia 650).

Edited by Mezurashi, 18 July 2016 - 03:21 AM.

Credits to Panbun for the awesome signature image.

~ Moving at the speed of sight. ~

Helpful links: EULA || Terms of Service || Game Rules and Violations and Forum Rules

Big_Spud #5 Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:50 AM

Commander

• Beta Testers

Tried this a while back and it never actually worked, and it still doesn't now. No idea why, but its a damn shame.
.- ..- - .. ... - .. -.-. / ... -.-. .-. . . -.-. .... .. -. --.

Wulfgarn #6 Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:02 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Good info!

I might look into this myself.

Thanks for sharing!

Highest. CV USN Independence BB USN Colorado CA USN New Orleans GER Yorck  RN Leander DD USN Gearing IJN Shimakaze VMF Khab

Premium. Kamikaze R. Blyskawica. Leningrad. Belfast. Graf Spee, Konig Albert. Ishizuchi. Marblehead. Texas. Arizona. Sims. Atlanta. Indianapolis. Kutuzov. Tirpitz. Gremyashchy. Murmansk. Molotov. Prinz Eugen. Scharnhorst. Warspite. Anshan. Lo Yang
Intel I5-3570K @ 3.4GHz . GTX 750 Ti (Max settings). 16 GB Ram . Win 7 Pro 64-bit . SSD 120GB (OS only) . SSD 250GB (Gaming) . Mechanical 2TB (Storage)

vas7eel #7 Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:03 AM

Seaman

• Members

View PostDelroyMonjo, on 18 July 2016 - 02:43 AM, said:

Looks  like it did wonders for the jaggies on the guys and the wires but some details seem to be softened somewhat,  maybe because of shadows,  not sure.

Might give it a try when I dig out my WQHD monitor to try out my shiny new GTX1070.  Tried SweetFX on another  game but didn't see much improvement although I didn't pursue it too much.

I noticed the still seem softer than it does in game, might be imgur scaling.  I'm not sure, but visually it's not as soft in game.  The antialiasing will soften it a bit, but not as much as the stills.  Anyways, give it a shot see if you agree.

vas7eel #8 Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:05 AM

Seaman

• Members

View PostMezurashi, on 18 July 2016 - 02:49 AM, said:

Will this work on lower spec cards? Just curious... (Lower spec as in Nvidia 750ti and Nvidio 650).

I think it should work, but I wouldn't know for certain.  Give it a try and let me know.  You will probably have to lower the settings on the AA.

Kasmir #9 Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:24 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Sweet.

Can you upload your settings to the SweetFX database? Then those of us who used Overwolf to install SweetFX can A/B test it with other settings already uploaded...

Fink117 #10 Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:29 AM

Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Tried this out and it looks pretty awesome Thanks!

Yamato, Montana, Des Moines, Gearing, Großer Kurfürst, Hindenburg, Moskva 

Kitsunelegend #11 Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:57 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Wish there was something like this for AMD cards :(

I is potato incarnate. I taste good with bacon. Fear my potato-yness! >=D

Bacon and coffee pleases teh kitsune -w- 

<a data-cke-saved-href='http://i.imgur.com/t3oH4sk.png' href='http://i.imgur.com/t3oH4sk.png' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t3oH4sk.png</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t...t3oH4sk.png</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t...4sk.png</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t...png</a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>

[Battleships:] Mikasa, South Carolina, Ishizuchi, Arkansas BetaImperator Nikolai I, TexasWarspite, Arizona, Dunkerque, New Mexico, Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, North Carolina, Alabama, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Iowa [Cruisers:] Erie, Albany, Emden, Aurora, Oleg, St Louis, KatoriYubari, Konigsburg, Marblehead, Omaha, Murmansk, ClevelandMolotov, Perth, Duca D'Aosta, Atlanta, Atago, Indianapolis, Prinz Eugen, Mikhail Kutuzov [Carriers:] Saipan [Destroyers:] Tachibana, SmithWickes, Clemson, Isokaze, Lo YangCampbeltownBlyskawicaSimsAnshan

Arpeggio ships: ARP Kongou, ARP Kirishima, ARP Hiei, ARP Ashigara, ARP Nachi, ARP Takao

vas7eel #12 Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:09 AM

Seaman

• Members

View PostFink117, on 18 July 2016 - 03:29 AM, said:

Tried this out and it looks pretty awesome Thanks!

Glad to hear it working for you and that it looks great.    

vas7eel #13 Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:10 AM

Seaman

• Members

View PostKasmir, on 18 July 2016 - 03:24 AM, said:

Sweet.

Can you upload your settings to the SweetFX database? Then those of us who used Overwolf to install SweetFX can A/B test it with other settings already uploaded...

Yeah, I will do that.  Took a while to put this all together, but I'll upload it back to SweetFX as well.  Thanks for the suggestion.

vas7eel #14 Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:11 AM

Seaman

• Members

View PostBig_Spud, on 18 July 2016 - 02:50 AM, said:

Tried this a while back and it never actually worked, and it still doesn't now. No idea why, but its a damn shame.

What's your setup?  Maybe that will lead to a possible reason.

Prababcia #15 Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:37 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

I will try this later but I have oooold procesor.

World of Warships Soundtrack

YouTube playlist

syraku #16 Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:30 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Hmm, with the link, I got Nvidia Inspector version 2.12, which didn't have the settings mentioned. Am I missing something?

AxK forever

DelroyMonjo #17 Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:40 AM

Ensign

• Members

There are 2 programs in there;  Inspector and Profile,  use the profile.
Spoiler
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz @4.2GHz
CoolerMaster Hyper Evo 212 CPU heatsink/fan 
RAM 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 933MHz (10-11-10-30)
Motherboard ASRock Z87 Extreme6
ASUS PB277Q (2560x1440@75Hz) 27" monitor
EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB GPU 
 223GB Crucial_CT240M500SSD1 ATA Device (SSD)Games
 238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB ATA Device (SSD)  Win 7 and drivers 
 931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device (SATAIII)Other programs for daily use 
  TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223L ATA Device
Audio
 Realtek High Definition Audio ALC1150 Audio Codec
Speakers  Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers

TopGun904 #18 Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Beta Testers

View Postvas7eel, on 18 July 2016 - 02:24 AM, said:

Hello all,

I spent some time figuring out how to improve the visual quality of the game.  Mostly this was by digging through reddit and a posts on the EU forums, which were in german.  This required a little effort to get working, because the settings offered up wouldn't work for me.  Through some trial and error, and further reading from other sources I managed to fine a good balance between performance and visual quality while greatly improving the anti-aliasing over the in game options.  Finally, the wires and ropes on the ship look good!

I also spent some time installing SweetFX + Reshade, creating a profile that I think looks better than the vanilla Warships experience.  So after all of that, I thought I'd share how to do it, in one easy place and include the things I modified.

Below are my system specs, it's fairly high end but no longer top dog.  I'm posting so you can compare performance if necessary and help with any troubleshooting.  Please note this setup is Nvidia only, I have no clue how to fix AA (Anti-Aliasing) with AMD cards, but there's probably something similar.  I'm getting a fairly solid >60fps with occasional dips to 55fps @ 2560x1600. 

(cont.)

View PostKitsunelegend, on 18 July 2016 - 03:57 AM, said:

Wish there was something like this for AMD cards :(

AMD's equivalent of NvidiaInspector is RadeonPro. It isn't in development anymore, but it seems to still "work". It's a helluva lot better than CCC though.

Edited by TopGun904, 19 July 2016 - 09:01 AM.

Nachoo31 #19 Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

I did the Alt-Enter in a game once didn't know how I did it.. that sucked.

Looking for Clan?  TheKriegsmarines [KMS]  

GoldPile #20 Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:56 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Here's a screenshot from one of my threads of maxed AA & resolution for those who are curious. Be warned you will heavily tank your FPS by going 8x MSAA.

As a personal note I find the in game Ansinotropic filtering to be acceptable so I left that as application controlled, also I recommend using SweetFX to capture your screenshots instead of using the default internal game capture as that blurs the image with forced AA on.

I actually don't turn on any SweetFX settings besides having it running for a better screencap since I found SMAA on MSAA thins all geometry without actually reducing jaggies plus it makes the GUI smeary (check your text).

Spoiler

Edit: if you want to see the rest here's the link, these are uncompressed PNGs so in order to not take up all your bandwidth I left them out of this thread.

Edited by GoldPile, 19 July 2016 - 08:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users