SO a how about a hard core naval sim version of WOWS...

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

TL_Warlord_Roff #1 Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

You got this awesome artwork, all those models done to the umpteenth degree...

and honestly if there was a "Hardcore" version of WOWS that was entirely by the numbers historically as dead on as ya'll can make it, well, ya know, it might, ya know, shut a buncha people up!.. no commander skills, modules and add ons.  No options no player picking mods.  Players earn ship up grades.. and some ships don't have up grades.  If it didn't exist historically, it wont be there.   And everyone starts in DD's.. Getting ones self into a BB will be a bit of a long process..

There's a handful of hard core navel sims out there..including some die hard's running heavily modded version of Great Naval Battles 5,  Jutland and Distant Guns, Ironclads, Victorian Admirals, and a few other titles...I'm only familiar with the ones available in the US market.

As far as I know the best worlds ww-II ship combat sim might not even be available in the US!

But on the side, just a spare time project a World of Warships Hard Core mode.  Let folks play it for free, keep it upgraded as needed, and when players go on and on about play balance in the main game, reward them with a weeks worth of premium time in the hard core game..

*cackles maniacally!*.

Set your course / the thunder of the guns beckon you onward / A hell of shell shot and fire await / Sailors to their duties attend / deep in their wombs of steel.

Stat Link removed... I like to surprise people...

Red_Raven_168 #2 Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:10 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Alpha Tester

can't wait to read the whine threads when dispersion is set to "historically accurate" :trollface::popcorn:

View PostCapnCappy, on 28 June 2016 - 08:12 AM, said:

You realize you're commenting on a thread that's older than some players?

DerekSlide #3 Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:15 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostRed_Raven_168, on 22 June 2016 - 01:10 PM, said:

can't wait to read the whine threads when dispersion is set to "historically accurate" :trollface::popcorn:

I was just thinking that. People would have so much fun with a ~5% hit rate.

twitch.tv/derekslide

OVERPOWERED GAMING RECRUITER

Destroyer_WolfgangZenker #4 Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:16 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Silent Hunter? More hardcore then that is nothing that i can think of

I have the guts to do what’s right even when everyone else just runs away.

Nachoo31 #5 Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:18 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostDerekSlide, on 22 June 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

You sure?   When I visited the Mighty Moe they said its guns could hit a Dime 2 miles away.  They were actually accurate.

Edited by Nachoo31, 22 June 2016 - 06:18 PM.

Looking for Clan?  TheKriegsmarines [KMS]  

Have you clicked on the picture in my profile?  Enjoy!

http://na.warshipsto...836912/dark.png

1Sherman #6 Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:19 PM

Commander

• Alpha Tester

View PostDerekSlide, on 22 June 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

And then they'd complain about USN ships being OP because of the Ford Mk 1 Fire Control Computer.

"To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art."

"War. It's all you've ever known, isn't it? You were so young when you survived the Clone War. No wonder you're as equipped in spirit to fight as well as you do. War is, in your blood. I study the art of war, work to perfect it. But you, you were forged by it.

"Everything leading up to this moment has been rehearsal. The real performance is about to begin. I'm counting on it."

"They revealed their meager defenses. Now we will crush them."

"I'm not accepting surrenders at this time. I want you to know failure, utter defeat, and that it is I who delivers it crashing down upon you. Now. let us proceed."

Destroyer_WolfgangZenker #7 Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:19 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostNachoo31, on 22 June 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

You sure?   When I visited the Mighty Moe they said its guns could hit a Dime 2 miles away.  They were actually accurate.

With the new radar and upgraded ship after the 70-80s sure , but not in 1930

You can hit a can of soda on the other side of the world with today's tech

Edited by PrinzMakaay, 22 June 2016 - 06:23 PM.

BladedPheonix #8 Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:23 PM

Captain

• Alpha Tester

View PostPrinzMakaay, on 22 June 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

You can hit a can of soda on the other side of the world with todays tech

actually the Iowas employed 1940s radar, which suprisingly was better than 30s radar. though lets be honest, most of the targets that the Iowas faced were non-moving targets on land.:bajan:

Destroyer_WolfgangZenker #9 Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:25 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostBladedPheonix, on 22 June 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

actually the Iowas employed 1940s radar, which suprisingly was better than 30s radar. though lets be honest, most of the targets that the Iowas faced were non-moving targets on land.:bajan:

That^

Can't agree more

vonKaiser #10 Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:32 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

Heck with the real fire rate, true realism turning/stopping/maneuvering times would be enough for most to cry. 

For the love of god Wargaming, please remove the atrocious Citadel hit noise

Sincerely, a Tinnitus sufferer. (Edit 7/7/16 - Thank you soooooo much for the change Wargaming)

Random Gaming Moments, Ship Reviews and gameplay breakdown by yours truly: https://www.youtube.com/c/vonkaiser

for_SCIENCE #11 Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

You, I and a few other rivet-counters would appreciate it, but I imagine modifying WoWS to make a sim would still require a significant investment of time and money to refine the current engine and physics to a realistic level.

Simulators are a niche market, and naval combat even more so. There's a reason that the most recent naval combat sims are the likes of Steam and Iron- there's not enough of a market to support the development costs that 3D AAA graphics and physics modeling require. WoWS does as well as it does because it is more arcade like, which means it is accessible and easy to get into for casual players, which is 95%+ of the playerbase. It's absurd to expect WG to do all this work for free for a tiny fraction of us.

GX9900A #12 Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostPrinzMakaay, on 22 June 2016 - 11:19 AM, said:

also on this, their fire control 'computers' (i use this term lightly) where never upgraded for the main guns, only missile guidance and radar tracking were upgraded. at least from what i have seen... someone please correct me if i am wrong.

SireneRacker #13 Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:15 PM

Captain

• Members

After you get rid of repair party, damage control and give damage even to team rams you will have a flood of whine threads

Proud member of [WAIFU], nothing beats Prinz Eugen

Torpedoes don't have any friends. So they will kill everything in their path. To prevent team kills we should all watch out where we fire those fishes. That means each and everyone of us, DDs of the second line!

No my name does NOT refer to those things from Odysseus! They refer to those loud things attached to a fire truck. Not to beautiful girls singing on the Ocean.

Super_Dreadnought #14 Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

"Ehmagerd! Muh Yamato is being attacked by 300+airplanes at the same time! Nerf CVs moar! Nerf realism!"

"Wargaming wth! 95% of the time I get ocean map! Please gimme more islands to hidez ma cruiser"

"Buff DDs! They no funsies since I can launch torps only once per match!"

meanwhile CV players go make a cup of tea while their airstrike is flying hundreds of kilometers to their destination

NK_33 #15 Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

Abandonloader and the Great Naval Battles series of games.  But no Brits vs Japanese, no Germans vs Italians, and no Russians at all.

Everybody just makes up quotes on the internet
- Hammurabi

Curmudgeon without portfolio

TL_Warlord_Roff #16 Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I'm not say'n it would be uber popular though.. ya never know.. all full on realistic as they can make it version of WOW would not be that difficult..  I'm just sure.. it might not be quite as "hard Core" as say Storm Eagle Studio's jutland or Distant Guns but thoe titles are not so much about commanding a single ship as commanding an entire fleet.   But a more or less hyper accurate within the limitations of the game engine.. with ((important caveate)) as little change to the basic game as possible..  Just use the historically correct numbers for everything..  and a historically accurate scale...yea map size would need to go up...pretty much 4x their current size to be playable..and a single 24 player match could take as long as a hour.  The game would be by nature very unforgiving of player errors... Move wrong, do wrong, you die..

Defiantly not every ones cup earl grey, hot...and just so the rest of us have even a remote chance of doing well, no CV's.. and no paper ships...    just a surface combat game... Carriers are just to powerfull.

And there would be no nerfs... ever...corrections perhaps.. but stats are the historically, technically correct ones for all guns, ships etc.

It would be a labor of love though..

and I'd play it..pretty, and hyper accurate.. yea, bring it on! 

Set your course / the thunder of the guns beckon you onward / A hell of shell shot and fire await / Sailors to their duties attend / deep in their wombs of steel.

Stat Link removed... I like to surprise people...

Submarine_Wahoo #17 Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:45 PM

Commander

• Supertester
  • Beta Testers

View PostGX9900A, on 22 June 2016 - 03:02 PM, said:

also on this, their fire control 'computers' (i use this term lightly) where never upgraded for the main guns, only missile guidance and radar tracking were upgraded. at least from what i have seen... someone please correct me if i am wrong.

They never modernized the FCS because it was already a reliable system. However, hitting a stationary dime 2 miles away isn't the same thing as hitting a maneuvering ship 20 miles (32.1 km) away. I'm sure the Iowa is fully capable of hitting targets at that range, but not with the reliability that people boast about/exaggerate.

"Shoot the Sunza B****es!" (... and the Wahoo did!)

-- One of 52 American WWII submarines on Eternal Patrol --

Mezurashi #18 Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:56 PM

View PostPrinzMakaay, on 22 June 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

Silent Hunter? More hardcore then that is nothing that i can think of

​This is one of the games that got me and my Dad together... actually, I was mad at him sometimes since he hogged the computer all to himself.

Credits to Panbun for the awesome signature image.

~ Moving at the speed of sight. ~

Helpful links: EULA || Terms of Service || Game Rules and Violations and Forum Rules

rustydawg #19 Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

IL-2 Sturmovik has COOP games where 6 or so players can man a single bomber, Pilot, co pilot bombardier, gunners..etc.

I wonder how this game would work if a few hundred players manned each station on a ship like captain, helmsman, gunners, damage control...etc. And on carriers all the guns and damage control manned plus individual pilots for the planes, plus gunners if needed.

Discipline would have to be the order of the day

Just a thought,

rustydawg

Belthorian #20 Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:20 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostPrinzMakaay, on 22 June 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

I served as a gunners mate onboard the Uss Iowa in the 80's. We still used the EXACT same fire control as they used in the 40's for the main and secondary battery. When they were recommissioned in the 80's they could have built a modern fire control computer that would have been 1/100 the size of the MK-8 Range Keeper but they couldn't build one that did the job any better. The only additions we had were radar that measured the speed of the shells leaving the barrel but everything else was original. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users