Mouse's Guide to Being a Teamkiller

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Matthewl419 #41 Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Come on Mouse, I can't believe you became a dirty little team killer... 

As to how, this is what I bet LWM did :look:,  :child::izmena::red_button::ohmy:...

USN: St Louis, Langley, Farragut, Cleveland, New Mexico, Pensacola, Ranger,New Orleans,  Iowa, Montana.   German: G-101, V-170, T-22, Bayern, Gneisenau, Hipper.   IJN: Hatsuharu, Fubuki, Fuso, Ryujo, Akatsuki, Nagato, Kagero.   RN: Leander.   Russian: Gnevny, Budyonny.

Premium: Tachibana, Mikasa, Smith, Albany, Emden, Katori, Kamikaze R, Texas, Graf Spee

Arpeggio: ARP Kongo, ARP Kirishima, ARP Haruna, ARP Hiei, ARP Myoko, ARP Haguro, ARP Ashigara, ARP Nachi, ARP Takao.

Other:

orangeandblue #42 Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:18 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

As always, appreciate your write-ups LWM. Love your guides and the "Cat and Mouse games. :) Many players still don't seem to have even a basic understanding of pink players on their team and generally assume the worst case scenario for that player (they must be some form of low life team killing scum), so your guide, for those players wise enough to actually read the forums of the game they play, is much appreciated. I've turned pink 2 times in 134 games. I don't remember what caused the first one I just remember being surprised because I never intentionally target team mates or just as bad, disclose locations of friendlies in battle chat as I've had done to me in World of Tanks. The second time I was playing the tier II IJN destroyer and I fired a couple volleys of torpedoes at enemy ships. What seemed like quite some time later I suddenly hear, "You have sunk an ally!" or something like that and the notification in the battle chat that I was being penalized for team damage. So....I realized then and there that just because the torps have a range of 8+km doesn't mean you should utilize that range, especially given the fact that the torps are pretty darn slow. So you can fire from stealth. Not such a great deal if the torpedoes think they're in a school zone. Creeping along for 8km in the water if your torps miss or allied players aren't able to avoid them, viola! Pink it is.

My thoughts on this system are:

Pros:

• It does discourage the intentional shooting of allies and will eventually result in these players (hopefully mostly due to intentional team damage) being weeded out of the system when a "pattern" is noted.
  • It makes players think twice before pulling the trigger as to where your shells or torpedoes are likely to land.

Cons:

• There seems to be a fair amount of misunderstanding out there about why players become pink and as I stated above and as you refer to in your guide about the "boobish" actions / reactions of players in random battles. I've noted the couple of times that I was pink that in general the worst assumptions were made about me and I noticed friendly shells splashing in the water near me in a few games. Hopefully players are penalized if they TK a pink player as well.
  • Although the chances seem like they would never be a concern to a decent player who pays attention to the mini map and where they're firing, there is something inherently disconcerting about the idea of spending real world money on a game that you could potentially be perma-banned from. I suppose if you're that bad or reckless you don't belong in the game anyway but say you have a few premium ships or even a premium membership, it's not like that $$ would be refunded to you.

I haven't played around with this myself much but thinking about it - there are a few ships out there which specialize in long range combat and some of them have quite the high firing arc, float time. I wonder what the chances of an allied ship running into your shells fired in this manner are? Long range sniping is kind of cool, but not if you're running that risk and especially if you've invested quite a bit of time and money in the game.

Again, +1 LWM. Happy skull collecting. hehehe

"On the third morning, a chaplain visits our company. In a tired voice, he prays for the strength of our arms and for the souls of the men who are to die. We do not consider his denomination. Helmets come off. Catholics, Jews, and Protestants bow their heads and finger their weapons. It is the front-line religion: God and the Garand." - To Hell and Back by Audie Murphy

CAPT_Rob #43 Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:51 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostLert, on 26 May 2016 - 07:32 PM, said:

After she got pink we went into a tier 3 battle with premies. I told the team "Sorry about this, she's new to the game and accidentally torpedoed someone in her first battle."

They believed me.

They probably believed you because they did it themselves, I know I have.

"No Captain can do far wrong if he lays his ship alongside an enemy." - ADM Lord Nelson

"Attack - repeat - ATTACK!" - VADM William F Halsey

HMCS_Devilfish #44 Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:08 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I was a pinky for 5 games which I accidentally deserved so am a tad more carful were I launch torps but what gets me is some idiot T bones me and at the end of game stats I also get the Pink TK warning

Mackdi #45 Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:37 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

"Yes, even if they swerve into your torpedoes, it's still your fault.  You have full control on when your weapon systems fire or not and it's your responsibility to make sure no friendlies could possibly be hurt by their discharge."

This is straight [edited]. I am not responsible for a teammate who can see my torps in the water turning into the torps after they were fired at an enemy and missed or the enemy was killed before the torps got there. Players need to be smart enough not to tunnel vision. I should not be penalized for anothers retardedness. I just got pink because an idiot teammate turned into my torps. When I launched he was heading away from my torps, then suddenly he changes direction and right into my torps. Yet i'm the bad guy. Pink status should only be applied when a replay verifies it was done on purpose...you know like really close range or when someone says in chat they will team kill and then actual does it.

MAY ALL YOUR CRATES BE SUPER CONTAINERS!!

SorryIjustLeftUsmoking #46 Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:25 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 27 May 2016 - 12:19 AM, said:

Oh dear.  And the worst part was that I didn't get to murder Lert to turn this nice colour, just some innocent bystander in his not-so immediate vicinity.

LMMFAO... IKR?... :playing::red_button::D

View PostFog_Cruiser_Australia, on 27 May 2016 - 01:01 AM, said:

I think pink carriers are adorable. Their aircraft squadrons are also pink!

Hehe... You should paint us a CV in several shades of pink & release it as a mod... And pretty pink torps with a shark mouth on the business end...

View PostBrushWolf, on 27 May 2016 - 01:36 AM, said:

I was trying to target a pink plane yesterday and wondering WTH was wrong. Then an enemy plane appeared and I knew why. :amazed:

HAHAHAHA... Had to laff at u, hehe...

View PostCatCalico, on 27 May 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

Now if people really want to be jerks all they have to do is swerve right into the torps going by. "Hey, it's his fault he fired them, and I just wanted to see how he looked in pink." I think this could be even worse than actual team-killers. They'll be getting their jollies off knowing they caused people to be pink.

Just Saying.

^^^ THIS! ^^^ Don't give them ideas, babe, because I JUST saw that very thing happen last night & the guy he swerved in front of was ALREADY pink... Then he went off on the a$$clown for cutting in front of him right went he rippled off the torps... The guy who he hit told him point blank in chat "yeah, I did that JUST for you!..." 1 of our other team-members (a BB) told him he would shoot & sink him if he saw that crap again... After the torps hit, the jerk had about 12 hp left, so it was almost a 2nd TK for that person... NOT very damn funny at ALL!...

Some of these clowns have NO clue how to be a team player NOW - I would HATE to see how they act on a tier 5+ game... :angry::amazed:

LittleWhiteMouse #47 Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

View PostMackdi, on 06 June 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

"Yes, even if they swerve into your torpedoes, it's still your fault.  You have full control on when your weapon systems fire or not and it's your responsibility to make sure no friendlies could possibly be hurt by their discharge."

This is straight [edited]. I am not responsible for a teammate who can see my torps in the water turning into the torps after they were fired at an enemy and missed or the enemy was killed before the torps got there. Players need to be smart enough not to tunnel vision. I should not be penalized for anothers retardedness. I just got pink because an idiot teammate turned into my torps. When I launched he was heading away from my torps, then suddenly he changes direction and right into my torps. Yet i'm the bad guy. Pink status should only be applied when a replay verifies it was done on purpose...you know like really close range or when someone says in chat they will team kill and then actual does it.

You're at fault.  It sucks, but that's the case.

There would be no team kill regardless of which way said person swerved if you hadn't put fish in the water where they had the chance of striking a friendly.  Players already have enough to worry about between dodging incoming enemy fire that they shouldn't have to be worrying about friendly fire coming from their rear.  If you want to be downright blunt about it -- you're the one endangering your team by not exercising fire discipline because you're more hungry for glory (experience, credits, awards and kills) than you are about the well being of your team mates.  Don't fire when you can risk hitting a friendly.  When you have especially slow torpedoes (55 knots or slower), you have to really take a good hard look around or risk splashing one of your own.

That's why the system penalizes those pulling the trigger and not the person that's hit.  Buck up, own up and smarten up.  Don't shoot your allies.

Q♥  Most Recent Review:  Duca D'Aosta 0.6.3.1

Landing_Skipper #48 Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:43 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

I negligently discharged torps yesterday. Close quarters, crazy time. Sank the enemy ship I was aiming for but also sank a friendly Karlsburg.  I had waited for him to swerve away from my potential torp path, then clicked when I should not have. I didn't even see him swerve back into the path of 1 outside edge torp. He only had 4K of HP left. The first time I sank a friendly in over 1,700 battles. 

Had to do 6 battles in shameful pink because I sort of suicided with almost no damage done to protect a teammate in one battle. 

Maybe it's because my firearms training started over 50 years ago, but the penalty seemed perfectly reasonable to me.  I'd held my fire for 10+ seconds and simply should've waited longer. 

There are intentional discharges and negligent discharges. "Accidental discharge" is an unacceptable term to me. 

P.S. I apologized immediately and my victim then called me a fool. Classy response to apology - no. Reasonable - yes. 

"Plan to be wrong about something." PRR (he knows who he is)

Yuzral #49 Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:45 AM

• Members

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 07 June 2016 - 04:52 PM, said:

When you have especially slow torpedoes (55 knots or slower), you have to really take a good hard look around or risk splashing one of your own.

This.  Thou shalt not launch if there is a friendly in front of you.  I forgot it once with Katori's torpedoes and ended up doing another 6 games with sensei to work it off.

Disclaimer:  Should not be taken as an indication of competence.  Warranties void where applicable.
​Side effects may include: nausea, vomiting, talking like a pirate, a desire to consume grog, ランダム日本語,, torpedoes and torpedobeat-induced rage. 
And my WoWs videos can be found at https://www.youtube....jv2tBl4d2qVvEOW

33nfidel #50 Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

LYW (Love ya work) LWM o7 (+1'd a week or two back)

Such a good thread I've been aware of so long but should be back up on the recent list...

And a plus one to Testament according to Yuzral:

Block Quote

Thou shalt not launch if there is a friendly in front of you.

IF you really want to look na.warshipstoday.com/signature/1014514347/dark.png or http://static.wows-n.../1014514347.png

Captainkidding #51 Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:16 AM

Seaman

• Members

I usually do not say anything about team kill because accident do happen. This time, I just had to say something. Less than five minutes ago, I was killed by my own team. I did not get a sorry. What I did get was that I am a dumb a**, because I turned. This follow player even admitted to everyone on the team that he fired 2K behind me. That I am a dumb a** and other choice words because I turned into his torpedoes. I really had no choice, you see, three enemy ships had their sights on sinking and I thought best that I should turn and not let them. I guess that I had no business in turning and it was my duty to be sunk. 

I just cannot under that logic. He went off on me swearing like a sailor until he too was sunk. I guess he probably blames me that because he was too busy swearing and calling me names to pay attention to what he was doing. I checked his stats and he has only played 532 games and my stats are not good, but I am better than him. He just don't get it and I foresee him team killing others because they are just in his way. 

I now had my say. Everyone have good luck and have fun.

SireneRacker #52 Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:30 AM

Captain

• Members

So I can consider myself lucky. I accidently rammed into an allied Murmansk with my Yorck and my Secondaries hit him. He took 3.8k from me and died. The ten minutes until the game was over felt like hours as I was not sure if I got the status. I didn't but I believe it was damn close.

Proud member of [WAIFU], nothing beats Prinz Eugen

Torpedoes don't have any friends. So they will kill everything in their path. To prevent team kills we should all watch out where we fire those fishes. That means each and everyone of us, DDs of the second line!

No my name does NOT refer to those things from Odysseus! They refer to those loud things attached to a fire truck. Not to beautiful girls singing on the Ocean.

D_I_P_Scout #53 Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

This is good post and should be required reading.  Even with the new system I have been in games where someone opens fire on a pink flagged player and screams, 'TEAM KILLER!" in chat.  I have tried to explain that becoming a Team killer yourself and getting flagged pink because you killed someone who thought they had a perfect launch solution for torps and then the friendly Phoenix turned into their torps is counter intuitive and does not make that individual a dedicated team killer.  But now you are for killing them.  Just yesterday was in a game where a Wyoming opened up on a pink flagged tenaru.  He had him down to half health before I convinced him to cease fire.   Still thanks for laying it all out and explaining it in detail.  Myself, I like to brawl in my bb and my secondary gunners are drunken team shooting SOB's so I am glad the system takes this into account.

Edited by D_I_P_Scout, 11 June 2016 - 03:18 PM.

Landing_Skipper #54 Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:33 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

When PINK - a quick message to reassure teammates before the battle starts seemed to avoid nastiness - both verbal and artillery.

OTOH when I see a PINKIE and they offer no response to "Hey, what happened?" I give them a w-i-d-e berth. 

"Plan to be wrong about something." PRR (he knows who he is)

Giantsgiants #55 Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:14 AM

• Members

Mouse, I understand intentional teamkills would get your account flagged, but what about accidental kills? Like if maybe you didn't think that friendly DD would turn into your torpedo spread and you end up killing him by accident? Or if something like this happens? Yes, you will get a pink name, but do you still get flagged?

Edited by Giantsgiants, 13 June 2016 - 05:17 AM.

LittleWhiteMouse #56 Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:26 AM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

View PostGiantsgiants, on 13 June 2016 - 12:14 AM, said:

Mouse, I understand intentional teamkills would get your account flagged, but what about accidental kills? Like if maybe you didn't think that friendly DD would turn into your torpedo spread and you end up killing him by accident? Or if something like this happens? Yes, you will get a pink name, but do you still get flagged?

Accidental kills count along with deliberate kills.  The system doesn't differentiate between them.  Once you've killed more than 5 people in a given month, your account gets flagged.  They're then looking at how much team damage you've done.  If it's in less than 10% of your games, you're fine.  They'll write it off as an accident but you'll probably be issued a warning.  If you've done some form of team damage in 11% of your games or more, then you're looking at some time away from the game with a temporary suspension.  Yes, even if the kills and damage was accidental.  They're not differentiating because it's too easy to pretend you didn't mean to and troll others.

If you've done it in over 20% of your games, you'll lose your account.

Q♥  Most Recent Review:  Duca D'Aosta 0.6.3.1

33nfidel #57 Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:57 AM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

Have to say this is another one of your Diamond threads LWM, I've found myself posting it in the Q&A channel ingame a few times...

:medal:

IF you really want to look na.warshipstoday.com/signature/1014514347/dark.png or http://static.wows-n.../1014514347.png

AnA10Pilot #58 Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:03 PM

Rear Admiral

• Beta Testers

Well, I'm sad to report I finally went pink. :(  A friendly tirpitz was fighting a Kiev. Tirp was about 5 km and the Kiev was 7km and on the other side of the tirpitz. My secondaries started going off and before I could turn them off a shot had set the tirpitz on fire. Unfortunately his stuff was on CD so he continued to burn...... eventually it added up to 15k damage and the game went "stop firing on friendlies" and then Nuked my amagi from about 30k health as a pentalty. :( My getting nuked by MM caused us to lose the game.  Makes me sad but hey, I [edited] up and got punished for it. Hopefully won't happen again and I'll be more mindful of my secondaries. 

thanks again for the good thread LWM. :great:

dionkraft #59 Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:35 PM

Ensign

• Members

Today was my first day of PINK and I worked it off today as well.

Just use DD and head out to the enemy with turbo on and just go after them with no care for points or survival. Kinda fun in some ways being a Kamikaze to just go for the kills with no concern of survival. Also good practice for your torpedo runs even if you kill one but the other DD gets you as well.  Another interesting tactic in the meanwhile on ISLANDS was to turbo over to two capture points which intersect and straddle both boundries and then stay still and emit smoke. Capture both (by yourself) and then wait for someone sailing by (as long as its NOT FRIENDLY) and drop torpedoes. 

THANK YOU LITTLE WHITE MOUSE..

Enigmaz63 #60 Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Beta Testers

well .. if they want to do a list.. let them make the lists.. w consequences for the crappy players... that jack up the fun and enjoyment of the team.. 

i think wg.. should just run this system.. having the games penalized and move the hell. on...  

there is a benefit to our policing our own too...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users