Mouse's Guide to Being a Teamkiller

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

LittleWhiteMouse #1 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:19 AM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

Right, now I'm not talking about how to get away with murdering your team mates.  That's not what this thread is about.  This is about what happens and what to do if you accidentally team kill and what to expect when it happens.  We're clear?  Cool.  Let's begin!

So... you got a little overzealous in your killing spree and "accidentally" murdered one of your own team mates.  Maybe that friendly destroyer zigged when you thought they would have zagged.  Maybe your secondaries finally managed to hit something -- unfortunately that something ended up being a friendly between you and your intended target.  Or maybe you tried to rescue some beleaguered torpedo planes from a friendly carrier from the two Red fighter squadrons chasing them down and you clipped them with your strafe.  Whatever the reason...

YOU ARE NOW PINK.

Oh dear.  And the worst part was that I didn't get to murder Lert to turn this nice colour, just some innocent bystander in his not-so immediate vicinity.

So how does this work?  How do you get rid of it?  What are the consequences?  Is Wargaming going to come to your house?  Will they take your favourite ship away?

Don't worry, it's not that bad.  Or it shouldn't be if you take care.

You Are TeamKiller!

Let's start with how you earn it.  Wargaming is quiet on the exact formulas used and with good reason.  They don't want Trolls and misfits to game the system and know what thresholds they could push to avoid getting penalized for it.  But simply put, do enough team damage and you will get flagged for it.  Kill a team member, and you almost guarantee that you'll change your hue for lightish red tone.  You do not turn pink immediately.  The penalty will be applied on the next game you participate in.  Here's what it does:

• Your name changes to a pretty colour visible to all of your allies (but not your opponents).
  • Any damage you do to friendly ships will be reflected back to you at a two hit point penalty to you for every one you do to a friendly.  All damage sources count -- yes, even ramming.
  • Your credits will be deducted to pay the full repair costs of whomever you team damage.
  • Your account will be flagged as someone who has done team damage.  Accounts that get flagged regularly end up on NyxWGA's list.

It's this last measure which should be of particular concern for players.  NyxWGA has a list.  It's not a nice list. It's a list of misbehaving players.  Let me get out the quote bubble.

NyxWGA's post!

Yikes.  I know what you're thinking:

"Mouse, you're a terrible driver.  You crash into islands, ships, spits of land, fjords, peninsulas, beaches, cliffs, ships, and bits of dirt surrounded by water.  Aren't you worried that you're account is being flagged for team damage everytime you fail at WASD?" 

That's a very valid concern but don't you worry about it.  Nyx has said incidental damage like accidentally ramming someone or a few stray shells from your secondaries splashing a friendly won't get you flagged on this list UNLESS said actions result in the killing blow of a friendly ship.  Really, what Wargaming is focusing upon with this TK-list system are those problem-players who think blowing up their allies is a reasonable solution to whatever problems they're facing.  This system is in place to flag and track players that are regularly killing off their allies -- not chowderheads like myself who succumbed to a blood frenzy and ended up reaping a collection of skulls that "just happened" to include one that belonged to one of our team mates.  MOVING ON!

So it's pretty easy to turn pink.  But being pink doesn't necessarily mean you've got a dedicated Teamkilling troll on your team roster.  But there's another reason why you're seeing more and more pink players these days.

YOU ARE TEAM KILLER!

The number beside that unfortunately translated message means how many games remaining until you're off probation.

Pink Stains

When you kill a friendly, you receive an in game message, warning you of your transgression.  It's pretty hard to miss when there's nothing else going on.  But in the heat of the moment, you might not immediately understand what went so horribly wrong that you ended up sinking a friendly.  Having replays enabled will allow you to revisit your moment of shame and figure out exactly what went wrong.  Suffice to say, you're most likely at fault.  Like 99.99% of the times, it's going to be something you did that you shouldn't have.  Yes, even if they swerve into your torpedoes, it's still your fault.  You have full control on when your weapon systems fire or not and it's your responsibility to make sure no friendlies could possibly be hurt by their discharge.  If you haven't learned that your allies can and will act in hilariously unpredictable (and inefficiently boobish) fashions, welcome to Random Battles!  About the only time it isn't your fault has to do with colliding with low-health friendlies as they could potentially ram you and commit suicide that way.  That's rarely going to happen.  Suffice to say, if you're credited with someone's death, apologize, own up and buck up.

Once you go pink, you're going to be pink for a while.

Whiter and Brighter

To clean those Pink Stains off your record, you're going to have to play some games.  It's not damage based (contrary to rumour), but based on keeping clean over a number of games.  Simply put, don't inflict any team damage for five games (Team Battles, Random Battles, Co-Op or Ranked Battles -- it doesn't matter) and you'll stop appearing pink.  However, if you inflict ANY team damage whatsoever during these games, it won't count. This won't restart the penalty but you won't progress towards counting down the required number of games.  I haven't tested for myself if team killing someone else while pink will restart the five game count (or tag an extra 5 games on) and I'm not terribly inclined to try it to find out.

To keep track of your progress, you can refer to the Detailed Report page of your battle results screen.  This will let you know how many games you have remaining before you've got a clean slate.  Keep in mind that ANY form of team damage will make the game you're playing not count towards the 5 games -- this includes scratching the paint of a friendly ship.  So sail extra carefully to expedite returning to good graces. 

Though I was given a 5-game penalty, it took me 6 games to clear my team killer status because I bumped a friendly Kongo in one game for 9 damage.  You must avoid doing ANY damage to allies during your probation period to clear your pink status.

Remember, doing Team Damage isn't to be encouraged.  Do everything you can to avoid killing off your team mates, even if they deserve it (maybe especially when they deserve it).  But if it does happen, apologize and take steps to bring your account back to good graces promptly.  And be a good sport about it too in chat.  A lot of people may be wary about how you turned pink.  Let them know it was accidental.  A lot of people will have had similar experiences and will be quite amused by your mistake.

Q♥  Most Recent Review:  Duca D'Aosta 0.6.3.1

Personator #2 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:25 AM

Captain

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

"You are Teamkiller!" This makes me laugh every time I see it :teethhappy: Because it reminds me of this vv

Current progress on all ship lines

Game OST -- Replay Ctrl Change -- Relaxing Time

Gavorche #3 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

Congratulations, you are now officially supporting breast cancer awareness!

Will update my post page when I post s***.

"They are the living reminders of all the good we failed to do/ that's why we know, deep in our hearts/ that they're all our children too." - John, from the musical "Miss Saigon"

Atomicfireball #4 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:27 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

Even if you hit a friendly, you can get the pink warning. 

Last night one of my secondaries hit a NC, did not damage her but I got the warning.

Watching two Battleships duel it out is like watching two old people fornicate. It's slow, sloppy and not very satisfying. 

Watching two Destroyers duel it out is like watching two orphans fighting over the last scraps on the floor. 

Wo_9 #5 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:28 AM

Captain

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

awww how did u get the pinky. 

Missouri, Get!

TY Rolkasa for the Sig     

EroSun #6 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:28 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Supertester

Pink skulls for the skull throne for mouse!

Spoiler

Lert and I were divisioned with her when she went pinkie pie.  Told her if she made a forum post about it I would give her a pink skull.  :B

Edited by EroSun, 27 May 2016 - 12:32 AM.

"Stand aside, I'm coming through. This is Ching Lee."  -Admiral Willis Augustus Lee, USS Washington BB-56, Second Naval Battle Guadalcanal.

"Preserving Peace, Prepared for War." Motto SSN-787 USS Washington Virginia-Class Nuclear Attack Submarine.

Lert #7 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:29 AM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 27 May 2016 - 12:19 AM, said:

• Any damage you do to friendly ships will be reflected back to you at a two hit point penalty to you for every one you do to a friendly.  All damage sources count -- yes, even ramming.

Makes me wonder what happens if two pink players ram and rub up against eachother. Does the reflected damage count as teamdamage and does it exponentially escalate from there?

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

Ship hipster: I liked Alabama before it was cool

Personator #8 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:31 AM

Captain

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostLert, on 26 May 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

Makes me wonder what happens if two pink players ram and rub up against eachother. Does the reflected damage count as teamdamage and does it exponentially escalate from there?

Ooh interesting. Inb4 both detonate upon ramming :D

Pulicat #9 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:31 AM

Commander

• Members

Psh, you gained karma while Pink. Popularity bias. haha : ) 

I do find it odd however that ramming someone will mean the game wont count, despite being incidental damage.

LittleWhiteMouse #10 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:32 AM

Captain

• Members
    Beta Testers

View PostPulicat, on 26 May 2016 - 07:31 PM, said:

I do find it odd however that ramming someone will mean the game wont count, despite being incidental damage.

I was surprised too.  But then it explained why some players seem to stay pink forever.  Even a slight bump will leave them pink for one more game, so it's easy to stay pink for a while.

Lert #11 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:32 AM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostPulicat, on 27 May 2016 - 12:31 AM, said:

After she got pink we went into a tier 3 battle with premies. I told the team "Sorry about this, she's new to the game and accidentally torpedoed someone in her first battle."

They believed me.

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

Personator #12 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:38 AM

Captain

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostLert, on 26 May 2016 - 04:32 PM, said:

After she got pink we went into a tier 3 battle with premies. I told the team "Sorry about this, she's new to the game and accidentally torpedoed someone in her first battle."

They believed me.

GGNORE

LittleWhiteMouse #13 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:39 AM

Captain

• Members
    Beta Testers

Lert had a little too much fun with my being pink.

If you want to know what ACTUALLY happened, it's from this replay yesterday: Mouse is a dirty, no good, back stabbing, Kharn-emulating, Team Killer.

Lert #14 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:43 AM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 27 May 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

Lert had a little too much fun with my being pink.

Ofcourse. It was funny. Also, floods for the flood god! Shells for the shell throne!

slak__ #15 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:47 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

this one is very good

not as good as this one

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/64213-mouses-guide-to-stealing-kills/page__fromsearch__1

but very good non the less.

Pink Stains  sounds mildly disturbing 

AldoRey50 #16 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:51 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Pinky & the Brain - anyone remember that cartoon? (Actually, I'm too old - my kids watched it)

Si vis pacem para bellum    www.britannica.com/topic/Carbonari

The flag of the Carbonari

pmgaudio #17 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:51 AM

Vice Admiral

• Members

DON'T FIRE AT YOUR ALLIES

“Leave the gun....
Take the Cannoli”
  __Clemenza

:child:

YumeNoMahoutsukai #18 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:53 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

LittlePinkMouse

Panbun #19 Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:01 AM

Captain

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

I think pink carriers are adorable. Their aircraft squadrons are also pink!

slak__ #20 Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:05 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

View PostAldoRey50, on 26 May 2016 - 08:51 PM, said:

Pinky & the Brain - anyone remember that cartoon? (Actually, I'm too old - my kids watched it)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users