Illegal Mods and Consequences

• Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic

Okie_navy_prime #121 Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:09 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Sounds great.  I hope its true and I hope it works. 

L0GIX #122 Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:29 PM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

View PostDirty_Deeds, on 23 May 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

WG SEA and WG RU are both shaming the players before banning them.

Seriously, after browsing their forums last night and this morning, I am envious of their clusters.   This cluster wants to protect its unique little snowflakes from any embarrassment or uncomfortable feelings.  They get a week off from the game with no other repercussions and then get to continue to play as if nothing happened.  

Just look at the stats of the players banned on the RU server (there's a thread over there listing their names as people see them in brown)  Everyone I checked so far has a record of more then 2000 games, better then 57% win rate and a K/D ratio of between 2.5 to 3.5.   These are players who have cheated probably for several months now and they don't even lose any of that progress they got through cheating.

The RU blacklist thread is HERE. (Russian)

My stats are better than that and I don't run any mods, I feel I'm under threat now.

NikoPower #123 Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:46 PM

Community Coordinator

• Developers

View PostRion12, on 23 May 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

So, to be absolutely sure, everything in Aslain's to date is fair game?

It's certainly nice to have an answer for that one.

Currently, this is true. If for some reason illegal mods show, this can change. If you look at the mods from Aslain's mod pack, they don't give you an unfair advantage with information you couldn't get from normal gameplay.

"To be honest in some strange way when I think of Niko I just imagine a Corgi, like my brain knows that Niko is a human but the Corgi image just works." - Devastator5000

RolySproly #124 Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:52 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Beta Testers

View PostL0GIX, on 23 May 2016 - 06:29 PM, said:

My stats are better than that and I don't run any mods, I feel I'm under threat now.

Same. Im assuming after a bunch more baddies screw up and show me their broadside for easy cits, i'll have amassed enough reports for "cheating" to possibly trigger a flag. (I have no idea how this system works).

i've lost count of how many times ive been accused of cheating because of cit pens, detonations, or one salvoing straight lining BBs with torps. Its unreal how many problems could be solved with just "git gud".

RoundsDownRange #125 Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:00 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

NyxWGA should get a Battle Star for outstanding performance in the line of duty :medal:

Bad stats, willing to learn. Been gone to long. Help me Obi-wan Kenobi

NikoPower #126 Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:00 PM

Community Coordinator

• Developers

One thing you all need to remember, if you are/were using illegal mods, there is a pretty high chance you would have been picked up in our sweep.

"To be honest in some strange way when I think of Niko I just imagine a Corgi, like my brain knows that Niko is a human but the Corgi image just works." - Devastator5000

BullHalsey #127 Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Great to hear; takes a contemptible loser to cheat

vakhnenko #128 Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:16 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostDirty_Deeds, on 23 May 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

WG SEA and WG RU are both shaming the players before banning them.

Seriously, after browsing their forums last night and this morning, I am envious of their clusters.   This cluster wants to protect its unique little snowflakes from any embarrassment or uncomfortable feelings.  They get a week off from the game with no other repercussions and then get to continue to play as if nothing happened.  

Just look at the stats of the players banned on the RU server (there's a thread over there listing their names as people see them in brown)  Everyone I checked so far has a record of more then 2000 games, better then 57% win rate and a K/D ratio of between 2.5 to 3.5.   These are players who have cheated probably for several months now and they don't even lose any of that progress they got through cheating.

The RU blacklist thread is HERE. (Russian)

Ha, that thread is friggin hilarious.

I like the public shaming idea, btw. Too bad we are not doing it here on NA. I think EU cluster is also protecting the precious feefees of their cheaters.

Spoiler

DarthDoge #129 Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:19 PM

Captain

• Members

Aslain has made it explicitly clear in the past: THERE WILL BE NO CHEATS IN HIS MODPACK(S)!

MajorRenegade #130 Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:32 PM

Admiral

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View Postvakhnenko, on 23 May 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

Ha, that thread is friggin hilarious.

I like the public shaming idea, btw. Too bad we are not doing it here on NA. I think EU cluster is also protecting the precious feefees of their cheaters.

He made a Game of Throne reference "So, I decided to create a public blacklist of our talented friends who are now forced to walk the road of redemption at King's Landing." Shame, Shame!!

>Major Collection of Mods<<
   >>Join [ERN] Equestrian Royal Navy Today<<  http://ernavy.enjin.com

Somers381 #131 Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:34 PM

Seaman

• Members

I agree with both the cheat bans and the TK bans under the grounds that your system does so fairly. This being said I know your teamkill system in flawed at the moment. Last week I was shooting in smoke with my Benson when a random DD that was on fire and about to die sailed in front of me and one shell hit him for less than 300 damage. This killed him and I turned pink. I did not recieve a ban or anything for this luckly because he was even confused as to how I killed him. This needs to be fixed because what if this guy was angry for some reason and reported me to be banned? I did 300 accidental damage to the guy which is hardly a team kill.

Edited by Somers381, 23 May 2016 - 07:35 PM.

MajorRenegade #132 Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:43 PM

Admiral

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostSomers381, on 23 May 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

I agree with both the cheat bans and the TK bans under the grounds that your system does so fairly. This being said I know your teamkill system in flawed at the moment. Last week I was shooting in smoke with my Benson when a random DD that was on fire and about to die sailed in front of me and one shell hit him for less than 300 damage. This killed him and I turned pink. I did not recieve a ban or anything for this luckly because he was even confused as to how I killed him. This needs to be fixed because what if this guy was angry for some reason and reported me to be banned? I did 300 accidental damage to the guy which is hardly a team kill.

Don't worry, they don't ban you for accidental kills

>Major Collection of Mods<<
   >>Join [ERN] Equestrian Royal Navy Today<<  http://ernavy.enjin.com

Destroyer_Power #133 Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:54 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

View PostNyxWGA, on 22 May 2016 - 07:59 PM, said:

We worked for an extensive an amount of time to understand these mods and we feel very confident that we have hit the correct people. We lightened the touch here. We could have been more strict, but we wanted to be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that we had the right people. I will admit freely that there are people who are guilty who did not receive consequences because we were not ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN. The list was smaller than I expected, so I am confident that people who were guilty went unpunished - it's not that I wanted that to happen, but I recognize that we do NOT want to give out consequences UNLESS WE ARE SURE.

I know the perception is that we don't want to scare off paying players. I want to stress that is not what is happening here. The majority of players that were banned in this incident were in the top percentage of paying players. These kind of players are, in fact, the kind of players that pay my salary. But I want to reassure you that just because you pay us money, doesn't mean you get to get away with things that the average player does not. Paying us money does not give you a free pass to act inappropriately.

Please note that there are federal privacy laws that we are working to adhere to. What we feel adheres to the law, and what someone else feels adheres to the law may be different. Only time will tell, through a court of law, which of us is correctly adhering to the law. In general, what we really want is to adhere to the law correctly, while still revealing as much info that the rest of the players want to hear.

View PostDirty_Deeds, on 22 May 2016 - 08:12 PM, said:

How would posting the names of the accounts you banned be any different then a mod making a comment in red on one of those people's forum posts here when they violated some rule? It's the same thing.    Unless you were also releasing their account information, you are in no way violating any privacy laws. A username held under an EULA and ToS agreement is not private information.

My example above of former SOE CEO John Smedley banning 30,000 H1Z1 accounts was true as was his posting the apologies publicly on his twitter account.   I have also read something about Valve giving it's game developers the power to inform them of cheaters in their specific games so they can ban them across all Valve/Steam games.

If ban lists are against some federal privacy laws, i would sure love to see some examples.

View PostMajorRenegade, on 22 May 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

try googling privacy law?

View PostINoCU, on 22 May 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

The difference between WG and Smedley is you are asking WG to divulge usernames. With Smedley, he banned them without divulging information either. He is pretty much asking the people to name and shame themselves. That's the big difference. Naming and shaming themselves voluntarily versus having a company release their information to be named and shamed. 

View PostDirty_Deeds, on 22 May 2016 - 08:49 PM, said:

Give me an example of ANYONE or ANY company that ever even got sued, let alone who lost or was convicted of violating a law by posting a usename of someone who was banned.  I have never heard of a single one.

And btw... today over on the RU forums, they are also cracking down on these users.   Difference being that they are making these users brown in color and imposing the same reflected damage effect on them as you get for a TK pink status.  Then tomorrow during working hours, they will apply the seven day bans.  Players over there are now busy posting screen shots of these brown players to keep a record of them.  

Talk about a dysfunctional family of regions.. lol.

Dev post on the RU forum is HERE  (Russian)

Pic below of it translated via Google...

EDIT: Fixed link

View PostDirty_Deeds, on 22 May 2016 - 08:53 PM, said:

A username is not something private.   It's your representative identity on this game that you agreed to use under the terms of Wargaming's EULA and ToS.  It's displayed 100% publicly at all times regardless of what you did.  Them posting it in a list of accounts that were banned does not convey ANY private information what so ever.  RU server is painting them BROWN in the game, for pete's sake!

View PostRed_Raven_168, on 22 May 2016 - 08:57 PM, said:

If they really wanted to - WG could post the number of bans handed out weekly for each category of offence

(without posting the names)

View PostNikoPower, on 22 May 2016 - 09:15 PM, said:

Publishing a set of names doesn't violate any rules. However, publishing names for the sake of publicly shaming them and tying them to a sanction/punishment/consequence is. This is also applies to when you all report teamkillers, chat, and any other violation. We can't share those with you. We can't put out in public that we tagged xxxxx guy for xxxxx reason. Privacy policies are there for a reason.  

View PostJudge_Doom, on 22 May 2016 - 09:28 PM, said:

Not trying to argue or show any disrespect, however, I believe you are mistaken, if there is no harm there is no foul, if the offender committed the act or crime and their name is published for all to see, then it is in fact and therefore no foul.  Being judged by your peers is the most effectual way that gets a positive response from those that are committing an illegal act.  The argument that naming and shaming should not happen because it violates some sort of an agreement or can have harsh consequences for those doing the publishing is nonsense.  The only time that argument becomes relevant and valid is if those names are published and they in fact did not commit any foul or illegal act.  Think about it for a second, how do you think newspapers and other agencies get away with publishing pictures and names of offenders, it is because they actually committed some sort of an illegal act otherwise, yes, the reporting agencies might face some sort of repercussion for falsely identifying and publishing those pictures and names.

APB Reloaded uses FairFight. It announces the player that just got banned in in-game chat, posts it on FFBans website, and tweets the ban.

https://ffbans.org/

https://twitter.com/apb_fairfight

StephenHopkins #134 Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:17 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Awesome, awesome stuff! Have all my plus +1s  Between this and the tougher TK rules, I've come back after a break from last July to about 3 weeks ago now and I play WoWS almost exclusively at this point. GJ WGNA :honoring:

StephenHopkins #135 Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:24 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostDirty_Deeds, on 22 May 2016 - 11:49 PM, said:

Give me an example of ANYONE or ANY company that ever even got sued, let alone who lost or was convicted of violating a law by posting a usename of someone who was banned.  I have never heard of a single one.

And btw... today over on the RU forums, they are also cracking down on these users.   Difference being that they are making these users brown in color and imposing the same reflected damage effect on them as you get for a TK pink status.  Then tomorrow during working hours, they will apply the seven day bans.  Players over there are now busy posting screen shots of these brown players to keep a record of them.  

Talk about a dysfunctional family of regions.. lol.

Dev post on the RU forum is HERE  (Russian)

Pic below of it translated via Google...

EDIT: Fixed link

I love it and I wish we were doing that here instead of protecting the precious little feels...

edit: because that's all we're doing as publishing on your own site won't get you sued as long as you don't: 

a. Misrepresent (wrong nick or violation) or and

b Post irl name, contact info etc.  Publishing ingame nicks is not personally damaging and thus not actionable unless directly tied to a real word identifier as part of the published statement.  

Edited by EliasSims, 23 May 2016 - 08:34 PM.

BossmanSlim #136 Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:29 PM

Ensign

• Members

Saw this question on the EU forum.

Apparently the Aslians mod pack has an enemy ship speed indicator in it; I don't know as I don't use any mods.  Previously in this thread, Aslians mod pack was stated to currently clean of any cheating mods.  I would think that enemy ship speed indicator would be a "cheating" mod as it drastically changes gameplay and probably assists in aiming just as much as an aimbot.

1) Is there an enemy ship speed mod in Aslians?

2) Is that mod considered illegal, in Aslians or not?

"wont pay crapanymore to wg.lot of orange is bad for business.stop giving win to the one you favor.potato need win to.otherwise no more potato in game" - fellow forum poster

Billy_Sastard #137 Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostBossmanSlim, on 23 May 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

Apparently the Aslians mod pack has an enemy ship speed indicator in it; I don't know as I don't use any mods.  Previously in this thread, Aslians mod pack was stated to currently clean of any cheating mods.  I would think that enemy ship speed indicator would be a "cheating" mod as it drastically changes gameplay and probably assists in aiming just as much as an aimbot.

I could be wrong here, but I believe the mod you are referring to gives MAX speed, torp range, etc. It is information from places such as your port and the tech tree, it is just placed in-game. I personally don't use that particular mod because there is a much easier way to tell if you're in range of someone...they're shooting at you.

Edited by Billy_Sastard, 23 May 2016 - 08:36 PM.

NikoPower #138 Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:00 PM

Community Coordinator

• Developers

View PostBossmanSlim, on 23 May 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

This mod isn't illegal because it isn't giving you information you can't already get in the game. If it is the one I think you are talking about is fine. The guy above me seems to be referencing this as well.

Sandman1969 #139 Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:23 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostBossmanSlim, on 23 May 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

The only "speed" mod that I can see is called "Running Lights". It just merely tells the user if the ship is stopped, moving forward or backward and nothing more.

Not seeing any that shows current speed.

Boggins #140 Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:46 PM

Petty Officer

• Alpha Tester

Glad to see the cheaters are getting punished. We don't need a WoWs warpack attack! Just to be clear, Aslain's mods are ok correct?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users