Illegal Mods and Consequences

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

NyxWGA #1 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:02 AM

Player Experience Supevisor

• Developers

POPULAR

Good day, Commanders,

Please take a moment to read this message, it’s actually quite important!

We’re happy to inform you that we’ve taken another step in our struggle against unwanted exploiting of our game mechanics through client modifications and outright cheats. A group of players was banned earlier today. These players have been identified by us as using forbidden modifications, including aim assist mods.

These players have been banned for 7 days. After this punishment is over, they will be unbanned and receive amnesty. However, should a player be caught by the system a second time, the game ban applied to his/her account will be permanent.

Please don’t ask us about the details of the system’s operation – we won’t tell!

At this point, we would like to remind everyone that cheating sucks. Cheating only makes someone appear to be good at the game, it doesn't actually make them good at the game, and it lessens everyone else's enjoyment. If you’ve been using such modifications and were not caught this time, or have been considering using them, please stop now. You will end up losing your account entirely by continuing to use these.

I also want to stress that we are now and will continue to take steps to improve gameplay and fairness for everyone. I know some folks disagreed with the TK bans. I know some folks will also disagree with these bans.

BUT - The majority of our players have expressed disappointment that we have not taken action against these blatant offenses in the past. We wish to work towards improving that, and NOT disappointing our players in this manner. I don't think what we are asking is unreasonable. We're simply asking that you do not take actions that inherently cause other players to be unhappy. Everyone has the right to play a game without another player ruining their experience.

Please feel free to ask questions or give feedback in this thread. If you have been affected by this or the TK ban, and don't feel that it has adequately been explained to you, please send a support ticket. Feel free to even mark my name on it, and I will instruct the other folks in support to send them to me, if they have my name on them. Most of you know that I've been around awhile, and I think of myself as pretty fair and pretty responsive to the needs of the community. If you feel that you got the short end of the stick, I am happy to look in detail at it, to ensure it was done correctly.

Action Stations!

javascript:void(0)

Kombat_W0MBAT #2 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:06 AM

Commander

• Members

And this is why you guys are great.

HARDCORE_BR #3 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:07 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Cheating should have zero tolerance .  My opinion . 
Stats -

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.” - Sun Tzu ,The Art of War 

FallenZulu #4 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:08 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers

I pleasantly welcome this new proactive stance against cheaters. But I personally would find it helpful to have a list of mods that would be considered dangerous, As not everyone might know.

awiggin #5 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:09 AM

Captain

• Members

View PostFallenZulu, on 22 May 2016 - 06:08 PM, said:

I pleasantly welcome this new proactive stance against cheaters. But I personally would find it helpful to have a list of mods that would be considered dangerous, As not everyone might know.

^ This.

We can assume you are talking about aim-assist and other mods that might give a direct advantage, but a white-list of approved mods would help immensely...

The forum posts this might  generate should be amusing though..:teethhappy:

Edited by awiggin, 23 May 2016 - 02:11 AM.

Lord_Zath #6 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:11 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • Beta Testers
    Supertester

Neat!

ValkyrWarframe #7 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:13 AM

Commander

• Members

Why do people even use these kind of illegal mods such as aim assist?  Use your mind and you won't suck.

*In top 50 players on the server 

USN: Clemson, Benson, St. Louis, Cleveland, Atlanta* (Gift from an Anonymous User), New Orleans, New York, North Carolina, Strike Bogue, Strike Ranger, Lexington

IJN/Fleet of Fog: Hatsuharu, Kagero, Furutaka, ARP Ashigara/Haguro/Myoko/Nachi Mogami, ARP Takao, Mikasa, ARP Haruna/Hiei/Kirishima/KongouNagamon, Amagi, Ryujo

Soviet Union/Russia/Royal Navy: Kiev, Ognevoi, Svietlana*, Kirov*(My Guide), Chapayev, Dmitri Donskoi, Moskva* (My Guide)Black Swan (kek), Fiji, Edinburgh

Kriegsmarine/Marine NationaleT-22Konigsberg, Admiral Graf Spee, Yorck, Nassau, Gneisenau, Dunkerque (Gift from TenguBlade)

Eberjager #8 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:14 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

TYVM!!!

Panbun #9 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:18 AM

Captain

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

Thank you for the announcement! I'm glad such firm steps are being taken towards the use of illegal mods.

MidnightShamalan #10 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:18 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

casper_gunner #11 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:19 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

HAHAHAHAHAHAH THERE IT IS TY WG!!!!!!!!!!!! proof is right there for every1 to see at this point just because theyre illegal and ppl claim to have no knowledge DOESNT mean they dont exist and ARENT being used

Bl4ckBaron #12 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Alpha Tester

Well done Nyx - Bravo Zulu!

A single TKer and/or cheater can be responsible for dozens or even more players leaving WoWs in disgust.

For every TKer/cheater ban the chances of WoWs success increase.

Please keep up the good work and clean this wonderful game from this useless and malicious scum.

Best regards.

Deathskyz #13 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Postcasper_gunner, on 23 May 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH THERE IT IS TY WG!!!!!!!!!!!! proof is right there for every1 to see at this point just because theyre illegal and ppl claim to have no knowledge DOESNT mean they dont exist and ARENT being used

Thing is.

Most people acknowledge they exist.

What's disputed is their impact on the game and the amount of players using them. Both of which are exceedingly exaggerated .

Legend Has It That The Nyan Hetzer Is Still Flying Somewhere In The Universe In Search Of The Nyan Cat...

It's Not The Torpedo With Your Name On It That You Need To Worry About;

It's The Hundred Others Addressed: "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN"

Calphayus #14 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:20 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Supertest Coordinator
  • Alpha Tester
    Beta Testers
    Supertester

View PostNyxWGA, on 22 May 2016 - 09:02 PM, said:

Good day, Commanders,

Please take a moment to read this message, it’s actually quite important!

We’re happy to inform you that we’ve taken another step in our struggle against unwanted exploiting of our game mechanics through client modifications and outright cheats. A group of players was banned earlier today. These players have been identified by us as using forbidden modifications, including aim assist mods.

These players have been banned for 7 days. After this punishment is over, they will be unbanned and receive amnesty. However, should a player be caught by the system a second time, the game ban applied to his/her account will be permanent.

Please don’t ask us about the details of the system’s operation – we won’t tell!

At this point, we would like to remind everyone that cheating sucks. Cheating only makes someone appear to be good at the game, it doesn't actually make them good at the game, and it lessens everyone else's enjoyment. If you’ve been using such modifications and were not caught this time, or have been considering using them, please stop now. You will end up losing your account entirely by continuing to use these.

I also want to stress that we are now and will continue to take steps to improve gameplay and fairness for everyone. I know some folks disagreed with the TK bans. I know some folks will also disagree with these bans.

BUT - The majority of our players have expressed disappointment that we have not taken action against these blatant offenses in the past. We wish to work towards improving that, and NOT disappointing our players in this manner. I don't think what we are asking is unreasonable. We're simply asking that you do not take actions that inherently cause other players to be unhappy. Everyone has the right to play a game without another player ruining their experience.

Please feel free to ask questions or give feedback in this thread. If you have been affected by this or the TK ban, and don't feel that it has adequately been explained to you, please send a support ticket. Feel free to even mark my name on it, and I will instruct the other folks in support to send them to me, if they have my name on them. Most of you know that I've been around awhile, and I think of myself as pretty fair and pretty responsive to the needs of the community. If you feel that you got the short end of the stick, I am happy to look in detail at it, to ensure it was done correctly.

Action Stations!

We love you Nyx:medal:

97tqw3.png

ValkyrWarframe #15 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:24 AM

Commander

• Members

It's time to make a meme out of this

Posted Image

*In top 50 players on the server 

USN: Clemson, Benson, St. Louis, Cleveland, Atlanta* (Gift from an Anonymous User), New Orleans, New York, North Carolina, Strike Bogue, Strike Ranger, Lexington

IJN/Fleet of Fog: Hatsuharu, Kagero, Furutaka, ARP Ashigara/Haguro/Myoko/Nachi Mogami, ARP Takao, Mikasa, ARP Haruna/Hiei/Kirishima/KongouNagamon, Amagi, Ryujo

Soviet Union/Russia/Royal Navy: Kiev, Ognevoi, Svietlana*, Kirov*(My Guide), Chapayev, Dmitri Donskoi, Moskva* (My Guide)Black Swan (kek), Fiji, Edinburgh

Kriegsmarine/Marine NationaleT-22Konigsberg, Admiral Graf Spee, Yorck, Nassau, Gneisenau, Dunkerque (Gift from TenguBlade)

NyxWGA #16 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:30 AM

• Developers

Thanks guys!

I have to admit I was a little nervous to post this, considering how upset some folks were previously. But not so nervous that I wasn't going to do it, because it's the right thing to do. I am a gamer through and through, just like you. People who cheat piss me off, just like you. I get it that people want to win, but cheating is just a super lame way to do it in my opinion. I'd rather be unpopular while standing up for what I think is right, than popular for paying lip service to crap that I don't really believe in!

And this isn't just about me - Wargaming is taking this stand - I am just the messenger but I whole heartedly support it.

StooperDave #17 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:31 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Supertester

View Postawiggin, on 23 May 2016 - 02:09 AM, said:

^ This.

We can assume you are talking about aim-assist and other mods that might give a direct advantage, but a white-list of approved mods would help immensely...

The forum posts this might  generate should be amusing though..:teethhappy:

agreed. a confirmed blacklist, even if it just lists type/theme of the mods that could get you banned, would be a good thing to go along with this type of system. 

Glad to see some action on this finally.

NyxWGA #18 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:36 AM

• Developers

Well I can tell you for certain that anything that includes an aim assist mod is on the list. If it has other components and you want to tell me that "I've disabled that part, I swear" I don't want to hear it. I play all WG games with zero mods (possibly because I come from console where they aren't possible) but there is nothing SO CRUCIAL in your life that you must use an illegal mod to get it. Hell, if there is part of an illegal package that you want, like some crosshair thing, post on the forums asking for someone to provide it without the other parts that are illegal. Pretty sure someone can hook you up.

FallenZulu #19 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:37 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers

View PostNyxWGA, on 22 May 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

Thanks guys!

I have to admit I was a little nervous to post this, considering how upset some folks were previously. But not so nervous that I wasn't going to do it, because it's the right thing to do. I am a gamer through and through, just like you. People who cheat piss me off, just like you. I get it that people want to win, but cheating is just a super lame way to do it in my opinion. I'd rather be unpopular while standing up for what I think is right, than popular for paying lip service to crap that I don't really believe in!

And this isn't just about me - Wargaming is taking this stand - I am just the messenger but I whole heartedly support it.

Can we expect some sort of list of modes or benefits from mods that should be avoided in the near future? Because I think there was some amount of confusing on WoT back then when it came to allowed/not allowed mods.

Deathskyz #20 Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:37 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostNyxWGA, on 23 May 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

Well I can tell you for certain that anything that includes an aim assist mod is on the list. If it has other components and you want to tell me that "I've disabled that part, I swear" I don't want to hear it. I play all WG games with zero mods (possibly because I come from console where they aren't possible) but there is nothing SO CRUCIAL in your life that you must use an illegal mod to get it. Hell, if there is part of an illegal package that you want, like some crosshair thing, post on the forums asking for someone to provide it without the other parts that are illegal. Pretty sure someone can hook you up.

Aslains modpack is safe right o.O

Legend Has It That The Nyan Hetzer Is Still Flying Somewhere In The Universe In Search Of The Nyan Cat...

It's Not The Torpedo With Your Name On It That You Need To Worry About;

It's The Hundred Others Addressed: "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN"

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

seaniam81