How to Control your Win Rate

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

BlailBlerg #201 Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

This is great.  Halsey, what video was this?  
Which iChases do you think are the most useful?

Bill_Halsey #202 Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:15 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostBlailBlerg, on 03 January 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

This is great.  Halsey, what video was this?  
Which iChases do you think are the most useful?

Linky:

http://forum.worldof...91#entry2686691

Well, right now I'm grinding out the Farragut into the Mahan and I followed his tips on how to play the Farragut. You will have to look at his reviews one ship at a time and see if it's worth it. But right now his review of the Farragut is spot on. LHM and Lert's reviews on premiums are also pretty good.

My own tips:

1. The minimap is one of your tools for situational awareness. Hit the "+" key 1-2 times so you can see what is happening around you while in the scope and hitting the rmb button while using the scope. Dammed useful if your zooming around islands in a dd.

2. Get the replay feature. It helps to see what went wrong and just as important, what went right.

3. Get into the habit of doing what is called an after action review to see what needs improvement.

Edited by Bill_Halsey, 03 January 2017 - 11:15 PM.

War_Maggot #203 Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:46 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Bill, any relation to Bull?

Giantsgiants #204 Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Stumbled upon this while browsing the World of Tanks forum. Now I know that ships don't behave in the same way as tanks, but a ton of stuff mentioned can still apply to here, especially the material on the mental game (awareness, analysis, decision making, etc).

I think this is good additional reading if you want more material.

http://forum.worldof...s-and-thoughts/ 

Edited by Giantsgiants, 14 January 2017 - 09:36 AM.

Capt_of_Satisfaction #205 Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:04 PM

Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Excellent article Mouse, thank you!

The one very important point I noticed, staying with one ship until you master it.

I play several, but agree with this. I do take out one boat far more than others, the Cleveland, but the point is made and I wish more would heed this advice.  I run that ship so much that all other ship arc firing solutions are that much harder to play.  So, I do play one far more than others, but want to have some fun in my other boats, too.  I also been playing a very long time but was away from WoW for a couple months and I'm so clueless about some of the newer ships it's like I'm a noob again. Knowing the opponent ship is also huge in this game. Knowing the characteristics, strengths, weaknesses and tools of other ships is crucial IMO and that is best learned by playing them.  OTOH, I realize we can't play them all and mastering one ship is great advice.

I was a CBT, so that factors in, trying out all the ships as they came along.  Also, playing over 14k games on WoT helps, but just like that game, you are subject to the matches and people you are matched with, and just like that game, there will always be idiots to screw things up.  

It is a shame we live in such hurried times and people have weak attention spans.  Everyone and their brother has ADHD or ADD and/or they TL;dr because they're lazy, not wanting to READ or even WATCH YouTube to learn more.  I don't understand why you want to play a game with blinders on.  I'm only a fair player for different reasons, but always try like hell to learn the game and help the team win.

Thanks for the fine work!

Cpt_MacDein #206 Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:30 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

This CARRY theory is Bunk. Out pf 294 battles I have 282 victories. How By working with the other players and doing one of three simple things 1: If there is a carrier, protect it, If you have a smoke screen, use to  cover your team mates as well as your self, and if you are in a Battle ship, play smart and stand off and hit from mid to long range for your guns as getting closer will get you killed FAST! with very few positive results

evanr1940 #207 Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:10 AM

Seaman

• Members

View PostCpt_MacDein, on 28 January 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

This CARRY theory is Bunk. Out pf 294 battles I have 282 victories. How By working with the other players and doing one of three simple things 1: If there is a carrier, protect it, If you have a smoke screen, use to  cover your team mates as well as your self, and if you are in a Battle ship, play smart and stand off and hit from mid to long range for your guns as getting closer will get you killed FAST! with very few positive results

That's a 96% win rate? That is not that great for coop.

Macabe #208 Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:52 AM

Fleet Admiral

• Supertest Coordinator
  • Members
    Alpha Tester
    In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers
    Supertester

View PostCpt_MacDein, on 28 January 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

Yes, in co-op. Where bots are excessively easy to deal with. Random battles is another thing entirely. The who battleship at long range thing: That's not how you play battleships.

Fleet of Fog Commander

Supremacy League Admin and Head Referee

Self-Proclaimed Forum Mascot

World of Warships Forum Cat. Pet at own risk.

evanr1940 #209 Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:14 AM

Seaman

• Members

View PostMacabe, on 28 January 2017 - 08:52 PM, said:

Yes, in co-op. Where bots are excessively easy to deal with. Random battles is another thing entirely. The who battleship at long range thing: That's not how you play battleships.

The "sniping from the back" people often end up at the bottom of the team ranking. And then they post here to complain about not making credits ;)

McHoliday #210 Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:39 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 04 April 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

Take breaks often.

This.  This is what I forget to do.
So easy to get into marathon mode and skip out on meals.
Thanks for the writeup, LWM.  Helps to be reminded of things I 'know' already.

iDuckman #211 Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:31 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostUjenele, on 04 April 2016 - 02:33 PM, said:

someday my ADHD will let me get past the bubbly red head.

That's not your ADHD, it's your hormones.

I vote to sticky this thread!

iDuckman #212 Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:02 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I'm a little skeptical about the characterization of a Random battle as, essentially, a demolition derby, with every man for himself.  Even if there is no "team" in the sense of coordination, there is something I can do to be cooperative.

• (as mentioned) Defend the flag where appropriate
  • Don't rush into the fray immediately; take your time to learn the situation.
  • Perform your role, e.g. as a cruiser driver, keep the DDs off your BBs.
  • When there's a central slot, cover the slot. Stand back and blow up whatever tries to come through.
  • DDs and light CR, scout.  Find how the enemy is deployed.  Stay undetected and unengaged as long as you can.
  • Throw your weight where it can be most effective: As Capt. Hughes demonstrates in Fleet Tactics, locating the point of decision (through scouting) and concentrating all your firepower there will have a disproportionately winning effect.  While this may not translate directly in WoWs, the principle is sound.
  • Communicate.  You can't say much in chat; make it concise and on point.  "N group, come back. You're getting out of range" for a group that is chasing a single ship toward the corner.

Oh, I suppose there's plenty more, but I hear a bagel calling me. 

Added:

• Keep the booze to a minimum

Edited by iDuckman, 12 February 2017 - 02:31 AM.

YukonHunter #213 Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:19 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

There are simply some ships that do dramatically better than others - even in the same tier and category. Bismark VS North Carolina comes directly to mind. Fiji VS Pensacola. Arizona VS New Mexico. Edinburgh VS New Orleans. Hells, right now Russian cruisers are taking things by storm simply by virtue of asinine amounts of HE spam.

Hells, right now? The game meta is pretty bloody biased, if we are able to be honest here. DDs are at the top o the heap, CA/CLs next, CVs third, and BBs are at the bottom, with the very rare exception. Hell, my stats have skyrocketed since Ive been grinding, and having FUN, in the Bismark, with only the occasional detour in Fiji for Ranked - and many a DD driver are whining that the Bismark is OP (That's a whole other story but is related to this issue). While its true one can 'get good at' a specific ship, that ship generally can be good, bad or ugly depending on the game's current overall meta. I agree that focusing down one ship, getting to know her well, tuning and trimming her well all make a marked difference yes, and I agree that frequent breaks do help - but to try to downplay MM and RNG's effect on any/every game is a tad disingenuous.   My stats up till last week have been crap - why? Because I was focusing on the two worst lines in WG right now, American cruisers past Cleveland and American BBs across the board.  Soon as I got the Bismark - and kitted her out - 0 damage games are almost nill, and anything below 70k damage is below normal for me, and of those its usually because I got nuked/burned to the waterline.

Overall? What ship you select has just as much effect, OR MORE,  on WR and DMG as your skill, or lack thereof. As everyone that has played Ranked can testify, Belfasts are either cleaning house or being derped about in.  Further, as the game's meta is right now there's vastly more emphasis on capping, rather than damage/kills. This means slow BBs and cruisers? You are more a hindrance than help in that regard.

Not trying to crap on your parade here Mouse but the other side of the coin needed to be shown here. One can affect WR, but one has far more control over damage output. Problem is, and ive seen this as others have, focusing on damage output generally tends to shaft your team - and in a game where teamplay is outright necessary, it comes back to what MM hands you. If you are in your Pensacola and MM hands you 6 donkeys, two statpadders and the rest average players, whereas the other team has three or four divisions on it, Ill lay cold hard cash that yer about to have a bad run.  Doubly if youre bottom tier.

pmgaudio #214 Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

never mind

Edited by pmgaudio, 17 February 2017 - 01:43 PM.

“Leave the gun....
Take the Cannoli”
  __Clemenza

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shadowblade91821