Premium Ship Review - IRN Diana

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

LittleWhiteMouse #1 Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:11 AM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

The following is aimed at new(ish) players looking to find a little more information about various ships from events, for premium currency or for real-world cash.  The goal is to allow players to make an educated decision before parting with their time and money and to find premium vessels that suit their chosen style of play, whether that is competitive, cooperative, or simply for fun.  The idea here is to elabourate on information not commonly available through reading statistics and provide some (heavily) biased anecdotal evidence to encourage or dissuade you from making your purchase.  The usual disclaimers apply:  everyone knows the Matchmaker clearly loves me because I spend money so that's why I occasionally get really good games, not because I have any particular skills of note.

Other articles in this series:

Without further ado:

The Imperial Russian Navy Pallada-class Cruiser
Diana

Quick Summary:  A slow, squishy protected cruiser with a five 152mm gun broadside.
Cost:  The Diana has not been sold yet on the North American server and has only been given away through promotions.  She's a rare little ship.

PROs
  • Good broadside firepower for tier 2 with five 152mm rifles.
  • Good range for a low tier cruiser of 11.8km.
  • Enormous hit point pool with 22,100hp -- the most of any tier 2 cruiser.
  • Decent secondary armament.
  • Sees a maximum of tier 3 opponents.
CONs
  • Dreadfully slow at 19.0 knots.
  • Little to no armour anywhere.
  • Sluggish turret traverse of 5' per second.
  • Takes module damage very regularly.
  • Lobbing shell arcs.
  • Horribly outclassed by ships like the St.Louis and Bogatyr.

The two Pallada-class cruisers presently in the game, with the Diana (Captained by Critter8) alongside the Aurora. 
These two ships are of different tiers, making this a fail Division which dragged the poor Diana up into a tier 4 game.  Shame on us.

The Full Review

Would I recommend?
 It's hard to recommend a ship that's so difficult to get a hold of.  Really, the Diana and Aurora are almost identical, what with being sister-ships.  The Aurora has more guns but no secondary guns, is a tier higher and is slightly tougher and more agile.  If the Diana does become available later, watch the price.  If you wouldn't spring for the Aurora at that cost, it's probably not worth grabbing the Diana.  The game play will mirror each other, though the Diana does so a tier lower.  She's valued presently at about 500 doubloons which seems a fair price to me and I'd happily pull the trigger for that amount.  The catch will be if we ever see her at that cost.

For collectors, there's obviously a lot of appeal.  She's a beautiful looking ship and very well modeled.  Her handsome green hull really makes her stand out among the Russian and Soviet cruisers.

Bouncing a 105mm AP shell from a Dresden.  Miracles do happen.

Recommended Upgrades, Consumables & Captain Skills
As a low tier, ship, there's not a lot of options for the Diana.  For modules, you're limited to a single slot, so Main Battery Modification 1 should be the only one worth considering.  For consumables, she only has access to a Damage Control Party.  Though you will see a lot of fires being started and your engine and rudder will often be damaged, I would advise against purchasing the premium version of this consumable.  Credit earning is already so low at this tier that you don't want to eat into what little credits you're earning, especially as some of these problems can be alleviated through Captain Skills.

When bringing a Captain over onto the Diana, you may find that gunship Captains, such as from the Kirov, work best with the Diana.  Anything specializing in AA or to try and take advantage of increasing the range of low caliber weapons just doesn't show any synergy with this low tier cruiser.

• For your first skill, take Situational Awareness.  As ever, it's very important to know when you're spotted.
  • From tier 2, Last Stand is very handy.  Your Damage Control Party is going to be used often and this way you can ignore engine and steering gear damage for the most part.
  • For your third skill, Vigilance is best.  There are a lot of torpedoes thrown around in low tier matches, especially on very fast reload timers.
  • Arguably Demolition will serve you best at tier 4, increasing the performance of your respectable HE rounds.
  • None of the skills at tier 5 look worth it to me for the Diana -- at least not in a way that will appreciably change the meta on how she's played.

Other worthwhile skills include Expert Marksman at tier 2 to assist in her turret rotation speed.  You could try and maximize her secondaries through Basic Fire Training and Advanced Fire Training but short of getting in very close, you'll not see much in the way of dividends for so heavy an expenditure.  As some Soviet Destroyers and AA cruisers will be taking these skills, you can always experiment with them in the Diana and see if they pay off for you.  Keep in mind, this will only extend their range to 3km.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse, 01 April 2016 - 02:04 AM.

Q♥  Most Recent Review: HMS Hood

Drakomis #2 Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:30 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I had this boat, it's fun to play. Thanks for the info on how to improve her!

Contents of this post are subject to questioning unless verified by a third-party agency.

taut #3 Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:51 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

Have one and I rarely play it as Aurora is essentially the same only waaaay better, but good lord is it a pretty ship.

OscarMike_ #4 Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:54 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

Is that not an aurora with green paint?

EDIT: I now see after reading further they are sister ships.  my bad :)

Edited by Amphibiouz, 01 April 2016 - 01:55 AM.

taut #5 Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:58 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

View PostAmphibiouz, on 31 March 2016 - 08:54 PM, said:

Is that not an aurora with green paint?

EDIT: I now see after reading further they are sister ships.  my bad :)

​pretty much, yeah. some minor differences like less guns (you have to squint to find them) and some other minor details

Mr_Alex #6 Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:07 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

Getting hold of a Diana is easy buy a Asus motherboard, not sure if they will still honour the codes that come with it

Marcanbus_NA #7 Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:23 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

Take a look at this beauty

Spoiler

Ships in port:

US Navy: Montana, Des Moines, Lexington, Benson, SimsIndianapolisSaipanAtlanta, ArizonaTexas, Albany, MarbleheadIJN: Yamato, Zao, Fubuki, AtagoKamikaze RFujinIshizuchi, YubariTachibanaRussian Navy: Khabarovsk, Dmitri Donskoy, Molotov, Diana Lima, Mikhail Kutuzov, Aurora, Murmansk, Imperator Nikolai IRoyal Navy: Neptune, BelfastWarspiteCampbeltownKriegsmarine: Hindenburg, Tirpitz, Prinz Eugen, Bismarck, Graf Spee, T-22, Konig Albert, EmdenPolish Navy: Blyskawica. Pan-Asia: Lo YangAnshan.

taut #8 Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:59 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

View PostMarcanbus_NA, on 31 March 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

Spoiler

Certainly more rare, but I like the Diana in green moar

why_u_heff_to_be_mad #9 Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:16 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Out of curiosity

Why the need to put the  "prefix" before the name of ships,,.,,, all of them,,,with completely made up prefixes in most cases 

LittleWhiteMouse #10 Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

Captain

• Members
    Beta Testers

View Postwhy_u_heff_to_be_mad, on 31 March 2016 - 10:16 PM, said:

Out of curiosity

Why the need to put the  "prefix" before the name of ships,,.,,, all of them,,,with completely made up prefixes in most cases 

National Identifiers.  Quite handy for players looking for a ship in a particular tech tree.

HMS:  His Majesty's Ship

USS:  United State's Ship

IJN:  Imperial Japanese Navy

KMS: Kriegsmarine Schiff

SMS: Seiner Majestat Schiff (His Majesty's Ship)

VMF: Voenno-Morskoy Flot (Military Maritime Navy)

IRN:  Imperial Russian Navy 

ORP: Okret Rzecyzpospolitej Polskeij (Vessel of the Republic of Poland)

PLAN:  People's Liberation Army's Navy

ROCN:  Republic of China Navy

Fog:  Fleet of Fog

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse, 01 April 2016 - 10:17 AM.

xCaptainObviousx #11 Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:08 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 01 April 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

Department of Redundancy Department?

LittleWhiteMouse #12 Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:27 PM

Captain

• Members
    Beta Testers

View PostxCaptainObviousx, on 01 April 2016 - 07:08 AM, said:

Obviously.

Red_Raven_168 #13 Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:22 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Alpha Tester

View PostxCaptainObviousx, on 01 April 2016 - 05:08 AM, said:

interesting profile you got there C.O

View PostCapnCappy, on 28 June 2016 - 08:12 AM, said:

You realize you're commenting on a thread that's older than some players?

KTcraft #14 Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:37 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

So for TLDR, don't buy unless you are a collector?

"Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." -Jesus of Nazareth, son of god  Matthew 10:32-37

For the mild mannered among us (my stream)

Extraordinarii #15 Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:40 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Are you going to review the Bottlesheep and other bath boats?

Discipline and organization are bound to triumph over inefficiency, disunion and disorder.

Red_Raven_168 #16 Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:48 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Alpha Tester

View PostKTcraft, on 01 April 2016 - 04:37 PM, said:

So for TLDR, don't buy unless you are a collector?

more like ::: don't worry about not being able to buy it unless you are a collector

LittleWhiteMouse #17 Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:52 PM

Captain

• Members
    Beta Testers

View PostRed_Raven_168, on 01 April 2016 - 06:48 PM, said:

more like ::: don't worry about not being able to buy it unless you are a collector

Bingo.  Gnash your teeth if you're a collector and can't get a hold of her.  In the current meta, she's not great.

OnTheHouse #18 Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:52 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostMarcanbus_NA, on 31 March 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

Spoiler

Worst camo scheme ever thought of....looks like a kid's basketball shoe

Matthewl419 #19 Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 01 April 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

National Identifiers.  Quite handy for players looking for a ship in a particular tech tree.

HMS:  His Majesty's Ship

USS:  United State's Ship

IJN:  Imperial Japanese Navy

KMS: Kriegsmarine Schiff

SMS: Seiner Majestat Schiff (His Majesty's Ship)

VMF: Voenno-Morskoy Flot (Military Maritime Navy)

IRN:  Imperial Russian Navy 

ORP: Okret Rzecyzpospolitej Polskeij (Vessel of the Republic of Poland)

PLAN:  People's Liberation Army's Navy

ROCN:  Republic of China Navy

This is really useful... (been  wondering about KMS and IRN). Also, great review.

USN: St Louis, Langley, Farragut, Cleveland, New Mexico, Pensacola, Ranger,New Orleans,  Iowa, Montana.   German: G-101, V-170, T-22, Bayern, Gneisenau, Hipper.   IJN: Hatsuharu, Fubuki, Fuso, Ryujo, Akatsuki, Nagato, Kagero.   RN: Leander.   Russian: Gnevny, Budyonny.   French: Friant.

Premium: Tachibana, Mikasa, Smith, Albany, Emden, Katori, (Classic)Kamikaze R, Texas, Graf Spee, Southern Dragon. 

Arpeggio: ARP Kongo, ARP Kirishima, ARP Haruna, ARP Hiei, ARP Myoko, ARP Haguro, ARP Ashigara, ARP Nachi, ARP Takao.

Other Stuff:

thegamefilmguruman #20 Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:52 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

The AFT/BFT/EM nerf hit this ship HARD.  Before those nerfs the turrets turned at a decent rate, shot faster, and reached out to 13.6km, making it arguably the best T2 cruiser.  It's a shadow of its former self now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users