Add the ability to Color Shell Splashes

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

1nv4d3rZ1m #1 Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:52 PM

Vice Admiral

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

Today instead of suggesting a new game mechanic I have decided to look at a more graphical change. 

In the 1930s and 40s navies around the world started adding dye to their shells. This was done to improve the ability of ships to concentrate fire on a single target by coloring the splashes allowing ships to see where their shells landed even with other ships shooting the same target. Previous to this addition it was difficult for fleets to concentrate fire on targets because it was very difficult to tell which ship's shells made which splashes so the gunnery officers could not make corrects to hit the target better. 

Spoiler

I would like to see the ability to color the splashes made by shells hitting the water as well as the ability to choose from a selection of historical colors which color you want for your ship. Historically each class had multiple different colors they could use, this feature would give people more customization of their ships. The Colors could even be unlocked for each ship class in some kind of progression rewarding players for accomplishing something with that ship, starting with the default white splash and getting the opportunity to add colors as you became more experienced with the ship. What I am envisioning is you are getting shot from a Yamato in the distance and the first salvo lands near you and the splashes are Green (the Musashi color) the reaction would be "Wow this guy is an experienced Yamato driver" because he completed the green mission. 

People should also be given the ability to turn off colors if they dont like seeing the extra colors or their computer is not powerful enough. Adding a check mark (defaulted to off) to the settings screen that allows people turn on colored splashes would make sure that anybody that did not want this feature would not have to see it. 

Note: I am only recommending being able to select from a list of historical colors that each ship class had, not the ability to pick any color. 

USN Dye Colors

Spoiler

IJN Dye Colors

Spoiler

RN Dye Colors

Spoiler

MN Dye Colors

Spoiler

Batwingsix #2 Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:57 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

As someone types "Taste the rainbow" in open chat with shells from 4 different ships hitting near the enemy....
Spoiler

KM: Hindenburg / Roon / Tirpitz / Admiral Hipper / Prinz Eugen / Scharnhorst / Yorck / Admiral Graf Spee / Bayern / Konig / T-22 /  Konig Albert / Emden /  RN: Belfast / Leander / Warspite / Danae / Campeltown /  US: Missouri / New Orleans / Pensacola / Indianapolis / Atlanta / Saipan / Sims / Cleveland / Arizona / Farragut / Bogue / Marblehead / New York / Texas / Omaha / Nicholas / Arkansas Beta / Langley / Albany / Smith / IJN: Mogami / Atago / Myoko / Fujin / Kamikaze R / Kamikaze / Iwaki Alpha / Yubari / Ishizuchi / Tachibana / Mikasa / RU: Mikhail Kutuzov / Leningrad / Budyonny / Molotov / Krasny Krym / Gremyashchy / Kirov / Murmansk / Imperiator Nikoli I / Aurora / Diana / Other:  Lo Yang / Blyskawica / Anshan / Dunkerque / Perth / 

Jinxed_Katajainen #3 Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:00 PM

Rear Admiral

• Supertest Coordinator

View PostBatwingsix, on 02 March 2016 - 11:57 AM, said:

As someone types "Taste the rainbow" in open chat with shells from 4 different ships hitting near the enemy....

'They're shooting at us in Technicolor!' - USS White Plains crew

Edited by Jinxed_Katajainen, 02 March 2016 - 05:00 PM.

CPU: Intel i7 4770K, MB: ASUS Maximus VI HERO, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB, GPU: Geforce GTX 1060

Herr_Reitz #4 Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:02 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

There are mods out there which do this - check Aslain.com WoWS mod pack :red_button:

DoomStomper #5 Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:05 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

I like it! :great:

My Stats

PC Specs
 Intel i7 - 6700k processor, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo cooler, Asus Z170 motherboard, MSI GTX 980 Ti GPU, Crucial 16GB DDR4 RAM, Corsair Graphite 760t case, EVGA Supernova 850G2 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate 2TB HDD, Acer XB271HU monitor, Windows 10

OnTheHouse #6 Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:08 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostBatwingsix, on 02 March 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

Ah that is way too funny!!!!!!!
Feb2016-Feb2017

alexf24 #7 Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:25 PM

Captain

• Members

Mods do that already. There are more than one included in Aislain's suite.

I shoot an arrow in the air, where it lands I do not care, I get my arrows wholesale -- Curly Howard (with a wink to Longfellow)

1nv4d3rZ1m #8 Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:29 PM

Vice Admiral

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

View PostHerr_Reitz, on 02 March 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

There are mods out there which do this - check Aslain.com WoWS mod pack :red_button:

View Postalexf24, on 02 March 2016 - 09:25 AM, said:

Mods do that already. There are more than one included in Aislain's suite.

I am going to assume both of you just read the title of the thread because mods wont change what other people see, just what I see. On top of that they dont add any kind of progression system like I suggested. 

Granitebeard #9 Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:34 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Alpha Tester

Wouldn't be too bad, but the way we trace shells takes from this. Granted it would still look cool.

Sotaudi #10 Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View Post1nv4d3rZ1m, on 02 March 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

I am going to assume both of you just read the title of the thread because mods wont change what other people see, just what I see. On top of that they dont add any kind of progression system like I suggested.

I also think they are misunderstanding what you are suggesting.  The only mods I know of in Aslain's are ones that color the shell itself based on the ammunition type.  For example, blue for AP and green for HE.  It only tells you what type of shell is in the air, not what ship fired them, and they don't leave a  mark in the water.

In regard to the suggestion, I think it is clever, but it is ultimately not worth the effort in my opinion.  For instance, there are four Orange splashes near your ship, but there are two Iowas on the enemy team.  Who fired them?  My Altanta can fire 14 guns every 4.5 seconds, leaving a mass of [insert color here] rather than individual splashes.  Add another Atlanta, and soon the entire area around you ship is [insert color here].

Edited by Sotaudi, 02 March 2016 - 05:54 PM.

1nv4d3rZ1m #11 Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:58 PM

Vice Admiral

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

View PostSotaudi, on 02 March 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

I also think they are misunderstanding what you are suggesting.  The only mods I know of in Aslain's are ones that color the shell itself based on the ammunition type.  For example, blue for AP and green for HE.  It only tells you what type of shell is in the air, not what ship fired them, and they don't leave a  mark in the water.

In regard to the suggestion, I think it is clever, but it is ultimately not worth the effort in my opinion.  For instance, there are four Orange splashes near your ship, but there are two Iowas on the enemy team.  Who fired them?  My Altanta can fire 14 guns every 4.5 seconds, leaving a mass of [insert color here] rather than individual splashes.  Add another Atlanta, and soon the entire area around you ship is [insert color here].

I dont know what the minimum size was for colored shells, I am assuming 6" or 8" which is larger than the Atlanta's shells, I know that the USN 5"/38 didnt get dye bags until after ww2 so I doubt that problem would exist. 

I would agree that its not needed but I believe it would be an interesting addition that would add something positive to the game play. Definitely something I would like to see in the future but also lower priority than some other things that need to be changed. 

Jinxed_Katajainen #12 Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:18 PM

Rear Admiral

• Supertest Coordinator

The idea of progression sounds more appealing than just getting the splash colours.

CPU: Intel i7 4770K, MB: ASUS Maximus VI HERO, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB, GPU: Geforce GTX 1060

Feldernalle #13 Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:38 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Just what the game needs---more bells & whistles.  I'd settle for better MM, divisions with ships of same tier only, and more DD players that can live longer than the current average of 4-6 minutes.

Wilbury #14 Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I actually like this idea, and I don't really like things. A paintball mode would be fun as hell, also. (Not strictly in keeping with the spirit of things, but can you imagine painted up BB's and bright red DD's? It makes me giggle.)

NikoPower #15 Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:22 PM

Community Corgi Enthusiast

• Administrator

This is actually a really good idea. I'll make sure to get a few more eyes on this thread from the WoWS staff side of things.

- Created by Jorge_555

"To be honest in some strange way when I think of Niko I just imagine a Corgi, like my brain knows that Niko is a human but the Corgi image just works." - Devastator5000

Lert #16 Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:31 PM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

I am completely for this.

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

Ship hipster: I liked Alabama before it was cool

Sakuzhi #17 Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostLert, on 03 March 2016 - 05:31 PM, said:

I am completely for this.

Going to need to agree with this.

• Mostly plays battleships and is excellent in them (warships.today)

Zampy #18 Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers

I'm all for this as well

JollyRoger6969 #19 Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:01 PM

Ensign

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester
    In AlfaTesters

I WANT!

Pyryck #20 Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:02 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

In the movie "Kelly's Heroes" with Clint Eastwood and others, Donald Sutherland plays tank commander "Oddball" and references shooting shells with paint in them to make "pretty pictures".

https://www.youtube....h?v=-IatwoA00E0

I would support something like this in-game as it might actually help newer players to aim better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users