Premium Ship Review - ROCN Lo Yang

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

SgtMajorBuzz #61 Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

A dirty little tactic I have been working on... find the lone CA or BB in the last half of the match, get in front of the ship, preferably when they are firing at someone else, pop smoke when they are about 2 km from my detect range and stop. As long as I am in the smoke, their radar never gives them the audible alert of my presence. Once I estimate they are close enough, I use sonar and put 10 torps into them at about 2km in a tight spread. It's tricky to pull it off, and its suicidal if it fails, but they payoff is glorious.

Edited by SgtMajorBuzz, 13 September 2016 - 07:48 PM.

WhiteRecon #62 Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:27 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostSgtMajorBuzz, on 13 September 2016 - 07:47 PM, said:

A dirty little tactic I have been working on... find the lone CA or BB in the last half of the match, get in front of the ship, preferably when they are firing at someone else, pop smoke when they are about 2 km from my detect range and stop. As long as I am in the smoke, their radar never gives them the audible alert of my presence. Once I estimate they are close enough, I use sonar and put 10 torps into them at about 2km in a tight spread. It's tricky to pull it off, and its suicidal if it fails, but they payoff is glorious.

yeah, I'm at 10 battles, haven't tried that move yet - but sounds fun.  That German hydro tho, it can bite ye.  

Khafni #63 Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:42 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostCanadatron, on 31 July 2016 - 07:57 AM, said:

I bought it back when it was originally offered. It's a C hull Benny with Sonar. Performs to less than Benson standards with DMG and WR that rest slightly below Benson averages. I'd say it's a worth it buy if you are a big time USN Destroyer player, but then you'd probably already have the Benson.....

I basically purchase -most- of the DDs offered unless they are T3-T2 stuff. I don't regret the purchase of the Lo Yang, I just haven't put it to much use yet! I do have a captain that I share between both the Anshan and Lo Yang, which helps immensely.

I'm looking at getting the Lo Yang but am not sure how to 'balance' the captain skills between Lo Yang and Anshan. The play styles are quite different due to the ships' design differences. How have you set up your captain? Or have you decided to have a captain for each with different skills?

BlailBlerg #64 Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostKhafni, on 07 December 2016 - 03:42 PM, said:

I'm looking at getting the Lo Yang but am not sure how to 'balance' the captain skills between Lo Yang and Anshan. The play styles are quite different due to the ships' design differences. How have you set up your captain? Or have you decided to have a captain for each with different skills?

She's an amazing ship and fun, but share a captain with Anshan doesn't really work. 

Khafni #65 Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:21 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostBlailBlerg, on 07 December 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

She's an amazing ship and fun, but share a captain with Anshan doesn't really work. 

Yeah. That's what is holding me back. I know BFT for both. SI for both (IMO). CE for both. Anshan needs EM but both benefit from LS. I have AFT on Anshan right now but will probably respec to SE because both will benefit from that (or DE). My Anshan captain is 16 pts now and soon to be 17. Once there I will have BFT, EM, LS, SI, SE or DE, and CE. Thinking hard on getting Lo Yang. May do it in the next 16 hours or so she is still on sale.

Thanks for the input!

BlailBlerg #66 Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Is there any use for this ship with the Germans out now? 

HazeGrayUnderway #67 Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:56 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostBlailBlerg, on 21 December 2016 - 11:21 AM, said:

Is there any use for this ship with the Germans out now? 

IMO, no.

1.  Lo Yang is really a Hull-C Benson but with Hydro access.

2.  The German DDs get Hydro.  Not only that, the same tiered one as Lo Yang has longer ship detection range than Lo Yang's own Hydro consumable by about 1km.

3.  Lo Yang was never a USN Captain Trainer and Pan Asia Ships are few.

The only real draw for Lo Yang is for some reason you really insist on having a Hull-C AA oriented Benson but want Hydro instead of Defensive Fire.  But if you want a Hull-C AA Benson, then get the Benson herself.  If you wanted a DD with Hydro, go German.  They're FREE.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 21 December 2016 - 08:07 PM.

WhiteRecon #68 Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:37 AM

• Members

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 21 December 2016 - 11:56 AM, said:

IMO, no.

1.  Lo Yang is really a Hull-C Benson but with Hydro access.

2.  The German DDs get Hydro.  Not only that, the same tiered one as Lo Yang has longer ship detection range than Lo Yang's own Hydro consumable by about 1km.

3.  Lo Yang was never a USN Captain Trainer and Pan Asia Ships are few.

The only real draw for Lo Yang is for some reason you really insist on having a Hull-C AA oriented Benson but want Hydro instead of Defensive Fire.  But if you want a Hull-C AA Benson, then get the Benson herself.  If you wanted a DD with Hydro, go German.  They're FREE.

I really like the yangker, finally got the concealment so went with 6km torps.  The Germans may be free, but they are big and clunky and seen from the moon when they pull the trigger.  I still like my Hang Lo Yang.

SgtMajorBuzz #69 Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostWhiteRecon, on 22 December 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

I really like the yangker, finally got the concealment so went with 6km torps.  The Germans may be free, but they are big and clunky and seen from the moon when they pull the trigger.  I still like my Hang Lo Yang.

I agree. I was starting to think the Lo Yang was obsolete with the new German DDs,  but in my opinion,  they are awful in their current state. I, too, am going to hang out with my Yang out

WhiteRecon #70 Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

• Members

View PostSgtMajorBuzz, on 22 December 2016 - 08:16 AM, said:

I agree. I was starting to think the Lo Yang was obsolete with the new German DDs,  but in my opinion,  they are awful in their current state. I, too, am going to hang out with my Yang out

lol, German DDs are zero interest to me right now.  Really liking Lo Yang with a speed flag.  The two torp choices are so different, they are both useful depending on mood.  Heading into an engagement you can prep the field with the slow ones way in advance, and they have way low detection too.  I'm used to my Shima torps being seen by anyone now, the slow ones can be harder to predict with 9km travel time.

HazeGrayUnderway #71 Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:03 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

If you're looking for a Tier VIII DD Knife Fighter, then Hull-B Benson is already better.  She's also free and you can stuff whatever USN captain you want.  The Hydro on Lo Yang is too short ranged.  3km?  You may as well rely on auto / proximity detection.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 22 December 2016 - 10:04 PM.

WhiteRecon #72 Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:43 AM

• Members

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 22 December 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

If you're looking for a Tier VIII DD Knife Fighter, then Hull-B Benson is already better.  She's also free and you can stuff whatever USN captain you want.  The Hydro on Lo Yang is too short ranged.  3km?  You may as well rely on auto / proximity detection.

Meet me in B-cap, biiish.  Kappa

Umikami #73 Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:09 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

Hey, Mouse; haven't seen you for a minute, so first things first:

A safe and blessed holiday season to you, and all those you love, and a happy new year, from all of us here in the desert, along with a huge thank you for all the hard work you have put into this game during the 2016 player year. All the reviews, the advice, and the hours it took you to do that.

Thank You, from just a player who is grateful.

And, because you ain't getting all those compliments for free, I would like it if, sometime during the new year, we might get your opinions on the new German DD line, and how they need to be played to get the best performance out of them, especially in light of all the emotion on their recent nerfs and release. I had chosen not to play them until the initial rush was over, so I could play them against something other than German DD's, but after looking at the opinions of the player base I might not have to wait as long as I thought I would.

(sadly, I must admit I have spent some of this weekend trashing around in a Tachibana seal-clubbing at tiers 2 and 3 to get an idea of how these new ships performed; and, yes, I am ashamed!)

Anyway, as I know you to be someone who is a dedicated fan of the game, and in light of the very strong emotions around the new German DD's, I just thought some reliable information on them from the best source in WoW would be helpful.

Thanks again for 2016; you made it much better.

Happy Holidays!

Umi

Edited by Umikami, 23 December 2016 - 03:11 PM.

AVR_Project #74 Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

^^^^^^ This post above and more.  Happy 2017 !!

Got a Lo Yang by 'accident' in a Santa box.

Played a couple Co-Ops and read your review.  I actually went with the speed upgrade since rudder shift is already silly fast.  I mean the WASD 'AD' is already good, so I buffed the 'W'.

Earlier posts are absolutely correct that the Anshan (Gnevny) and the Lo Yang (Bensen) are completely different captain setups.  I got an 'Anshan' in a similar 'accident'.

Haven't had much luck against bots with the slower torps since they are despicable creatures that use illegal aim-assist, and can sense torpedoes too quick.  They don't have to wait for the captain to say something.

My impression is that the Hydro is about as useful as...  well..  It's not been useful.  I'd have to do stupid things and risk the game to make it useful.  Grounding out on the center island of an occupied cap is 'stupid things'.  However, if I find myself in this position, it could be used to check the other side to see what they are doing.  It's highly situational and might get used once every 2-3 games.  It's not like the Belfast where I can simultaneously pop smoke and radar and instantly invisifire.

Since you published this article, they separated Upgrade Slot #1: Magazine protection and weapons protection.  On the other hand, they've been giving away Juliet Charlie flags like crazy in the containers and campaigns.  I'm using Main Armaments Mod 1 and permanently assigning the anti-det flags.

Can't say I would have bought this.  In the couple missions today, it's been a lot of fun.

:-)

So much has been lost, so much forgotten. So much pain, so much blood. And for what? I wonder. The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between. But there is still time to seize that one last, fragile moment. To choose something better, to make a difference.  -- Babylon 5

sean_solo7 #75 Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:30 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Your write ups are SO well done.  Every one of them!!  You are a treasure to this community.

EmeraldAcid #76 Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:59 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

So, I ended up obtaining Yang over the weekend when she was on sale. Just a quick inquiry: with the skill changes since the guide was written, what would be recommended for a DD-hunter specc'd Lo Yang?

BlailBlerg #77 Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostEmeraldAcid, on 18 May 2017 - 01:59 AM, said:

So, I ended up obtaining Yang over the weekend when she was on sale. Just a quick inquiry: with the skill changes since the guide was written, what would be recommended for a DD-hunter specc'd Lo Yang?

Been playing Lo Yang again, post change.  I highly recommend

PT
LS
BFT
CE - lets you sneak up on DDs, gives you a lot more comfort torping and going stealth. 
SE - you need the HP
DE or Vigi - Vigilance really helps avoid you dying to torps since youre so close. Its really common.  Even with Hydro.   If you always pop hydro in smoke, you can go DE.   But I REALLY think Vigilance will increase your winrate.  

EmeraldAcid #78 Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:56 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

So, leaks have talked about Lo Yang getting a buff to her Hydro since it was her unique gimmick, until the Germans showed up, and now she's getting German Hydro herself.

5.43km ship detection and 3.75 torp detection when in use. She has 5.8km sea detection at her lowest with Camo/CE/Mod, so that's only a very limited window where she can be seen and not see the offender back. The extra range on torps combined with Vigil is nice too.

But is this enough to really propel her far and away above T-23 as the superior Hydro ship and a proper sidegrade to Benson B?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users