Premium Ship Review - ROCN Lo Yang

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

madmikey77 #21 Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:51 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I bought it. Definitely over-priced, but I enjoy playing DDs.

The Hydro may not seem like a big deal, but that combined with the ridiculous rudder shift makes the Lo Yang the ultimate DD hunter. DDs can try and hide in their smoke, but with sonar up, they're never going to be able to torp you. I've only played 3 games so far, but managed to catch a couple of DDs who decided to hang in their smoke.

Eventually though I'm guessing people will learn and just run once they see a Lo Yang charging their smoke.

PhonkEL #22 Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:31 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View Postmadmikey77, on 24 February 2016 - 06:51 PM, said:

Eventually though I'm guessing people will learn and just run once they see a Lo Yang charging their smoke.

What's nice is if you play right, you can see them but they can't see you because of their own smoke. Gah, now you're making me reconsider...

Can you "premium" Hydro for a 40s cooldown?

Super_Dreadnought #23 Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

Silly me for thinking that Lo Yang was with the ROCN, and not the RCN. I'm sure Canadians everywhere will be pleased with their first representative.:trollface:

+1 Nice review btw. I'm swinging towards buying atm.

Canadatron #24 Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:48 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostSuper_Dreadnought, on 24 February 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

Silly me for thinking that Lo Yang was with the ROCN, and not the RCN. I'm sure Canadians everywhere will be pleased with their first representative.:trollface:

+1 Nice review btw. I'm swinging towards buying atm.

YANGBANG! Smoke 'em if ya got em!
-={FOG}=- Community Member

LadyJess #25 Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:51 PM

Ensign

• Members

as always a bang up review Mouse .. always enjoy reading your write ups and i do love your avatar .

Super_Dreadnought #26 Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:27 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostCanadatron, on 24 February 2016 - 07:48 PM, said:

YANGBANG! Smoke 'em if ya got em!

Personator #27 Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:32 AM

Captain

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

Is it 1.5x creds for prem, and does it apply to this ship? I don't remember because I don't often play prems in this game :V My only one is the Grem, and USN DDs are currently my fav (used to be Cleve b4 nerf)

Current progress on all ship lines

Game OST -- Replay Ctrl Change -- Relaxing Time

LittleWhiteMouse #28 Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:04 AM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

View PostPersonator, on 24 February 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

Is it 1.5x creds for prem, and does it apply to this ship? I don't remember because I don't often play prems in this game :V My only one is the Grem, and USN DDs are currently my fav (used to be Cleve b4 nerf)

For science, I took both ships into Co-Op a handful of times, fired my guns once, fired my torpedoes once and then made sure I died without doing any damage or earning any ribbons.  Here's what happened in two tier 6 to 8 Domination Matches where my teams won and wiped out the enemy. 

It appears that the ships share the same costs for HE ammunition but the torpedoes are more expensive to launch on the Lo Yang (3 times as expensive).  The repair costs on the Lo Yang are 22,000 credits less expensive and she appears to earn almost 1.5x as much as the Benson (1.42x).  I hope this helps!

Benson (B-Hull)

• Repairs              91,000 credits
  • HE Shell costs           10 credits per
  • Torpedo costs            50 credits per
  • Income Earned        13,277 credits

Lo Yang

• Repairs              69,000 credits
  • Torpedo costs           150 credits per
  • Income Earned        18,911 credits

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse, 25 February 2016 - 02:04 AM.

Q♥  Most Recent Review: HMS Hood

Raptor_alcor #29 Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:35 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

I really wish I had money, I want a destroyer that's newer than my gremmy but I am just not lucky enough. 

The happy blue fox. 

Personator #30 Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:41 AM

Captain

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 24 February 2016 - 06:04 PM, said:

For science, I took both ships into Co-Op a handful of times, fired my guns once, fired my torpedoes once and then made sure I died without doing any damage or earning any ribbons.  Here's what happened in two tier 6 to 8 Domination Matches where my teams won and wiped out the enemy. 

It appears that the ships share the same costs for HE ammunition but the torpedoes are more expensive to launch on the Lo Yang (3 times as expensive).  The repair costs on the Lo Yang are 22,000 credits less expensive and she appears to earn almost 1.5x as much as the Benson (1.42x).  I hope this helps!

Benson (B-Hull)

• Repairs              91,000 credits
  • Torpedo costs            50 credits per
  • Income Earned        13,277 credits

Lo Yang

• Repairs              69,000 credits
  • Torpedo costs           150 credits per
  • Income Earned        18,911 credits

Thanks a lot for the info! Really makes me want the ship now. But I dislike packages :/

Current progress on all ship lines

Game OST -- Replay Ctrl Change -- Relaxing Time

Venom81 #31 Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

Nice write-up as always.

I do notice that my concealment rating is 6.4km with the concealment mod and camo.

Also, oddly enough, my RoF is 20 RPM with BFT.  Not sure if the game rounds up but I didn't think so.  Regardless, my Lo Yang currently says 20 rpm.  Again, minor things.  Good work :)

Muh sheeps in pert:

~ US ~  Smith, New York, Texas, Marblehead, Arizona, Benson ~ Japan ~ Tachibana, Yubari, Isizuchi, Kamikaze R, Furutaka, Shiratsuyu, Atago  ~ VMF ~ Murmansk, Budyonny, Molotov, Leningrad, Kiev, Udaloi ~ KM ~  Emden, Konig Albert, V-170, Bayern, Admiral Graf Spee, Nurnberg, Scharnhorst  ~ RN ~  Campeltown, Leander, Warspite, Belfast  ~ PLAN/ROCN ~  Anshan, Lo Yang ~ ORP ~ Blyskawica

centarina #32 Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:35 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

same ROF as benson at 20.0rpm.   it fires fast and furious for sure.    I love both benson and farragut for their gunfire.

IJN: Mikasa,  Ichizuchi, Fuso, Amagi, Katori, kuma, Zao, Tachibana, KamikazeR, Shinonome, Shiratsuyu, Akizuki, Yugumo PA Anshan  

VFM: Aurora,Svietlana,  Murmansk, Budyonny, Chapayev, D.Donskoi, Ognevoi, Kiev, Tashkent, Udaloi, Khab  FRDougay T, Le Gal

USN:   New York, North Carolina,Phoenix,  Marblehead,  Indianapolis, Baltimore,  Farragut, Sims,Benson,Fletcher, Bogue    RN Leander, Edinburgh   

KM:  Konig Albert, Bayern, Graf Spee, Gneisenau, Bismarck, FDG, Emden, Karlsruhe  , Roon, Lib Maas         ARP: Kongo, Myoko, Haruna, Kirishima, Ashigara, Hiei, Haguro,  Nachi, Takao

Notser Certified Potato

LittleWhiteMouse #33 Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:44 AM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

Yes, with Basic Fire Training, your Rate of Fire will jump from 18rpm to 19.8rpm.  The game rounds up.

The Benson, however, with the C-Hull, has 20rpm with 4 guns vs 18rpm with 5 guns on the B-Hull.  The difference is 80rpm on the C-Hull (but with better AA) and 90rpm on the B-Hull.

Q♥  Most Recent Review: HMS Hood

GuttBucket #34 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Great review Mouse ..... spot on IMO.

I bought her and am really pleased with her (loved Benson). The price was on the high side (with the usual bundle) but I buy premium time and doubloons anyway, so taking that into account the ship was nearer to $37, which isn't too bad. Still think Anshan is better value for money though.

Junostorm #35 Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:31 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Great review, good ship, nice sister ship to Anshan.
Retired Captain - IKS StormTooth - C7 Heavy Battlecruiser

Snowmaninblack #36 Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:00 PM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

I run smoke and hydro, both premium with superintendent.

LET THE SEAL CLUBBING COMMENCE!:izmena:

Spoiler

Fishrokk #37 Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:24 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

With her back in the premium shop, I was looking for a good place to ask this question, and your review was the first most logical place since they haven't put up a forum thread announcing the return:

Why does WG keep saying that Lo Yang was a Benson-class destroyer, when she was actually an Allen M. Sumner-class destroyer?  By the write-ups, she's fully 600 tons heavier than a Benson-class, and that's just looking at the very first stat available.

Edit: And apparently Lo Yang should have a sixth deck gun!

More on USN Destroyers here.  The info doesn't come from me, but the community answering a question that I asked.

Edited by Fishrokk, 29 July 2016 - 05:25 PM.

“OPEN FIRE WHEN READY. FEAR GOD. DREADNOUGHT.” - R Adm J Edward Snyder, USS New Jersey (BB-62)

I'm trying to expand my mind.  First I gotta do something about all these hobgoblins.

Nhi_Vanye #38 Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

The Lo Yang in this game appears to be the USS Benson, but there is confusion because there were apparently two retired US DDs with that name in the ROC navy inventory.

• Edit
  • Watch this page

ROCS Lo Yang

ROCS Lo Yang (DD-14) may refer to one of the following destroyers of the Republic of China Navy:

Last edited 6 months ago by an anonymous user

"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today" - Vice Admiral Sir David Beatty

Fishrokk #39 Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:38 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

Interesting.  The Wiki page on the Benson lists the lead being transferred to ROCN in 1954, but doesn't show what they renamed her.

Thanks, Nhi_Vanye!

“OPEN FIRE WHEN READY. FEAR GOD. DREADNOUGHT.” - R Adm J Edward Snyder, USS New Jersey (BB-62)

I'm trying to expand my mind.  First I gotta do something about all these hobgoblins.

Combined_Fleet_HQ #40 Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

welp saves me some cash which means I'll have leftovers for when I throw my wallet at the Scharnhost. Thx for the review

Disclaimer: My stats are reflective of luck, not skill

FOG Recruiter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users