Premium Ship Review -- PLAN Anshan (2.0)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

LittleWhiteMouse #1 Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

The following is aimed at new(ish) players looking to find a little more information about various ships from events, for premium currency or for real-world cash.  The goal is to allow players to make an educated decision before parting with their time and money and to find premium vessels that suit their chosen style of play, whether that is competitive, cooperative, or simply for fun.  The idea here is to elabourate on information not commonly available through reading statistics and provide some (heavily) biased anecdotal evidence to encourage or dissuade you from making your purchase.  The usual disclaimers apply:  everyone knows the Matchmaker clearly loves me because I spend money so that's why I occasionally get really good games, not because I have any particular skills of note.

Other articles in this series:

Without further ado: 

The People's Liberation Army Navy's Gnevny-class Destroyer

Anshan

The Facilitator

Quick Summary:   Gnevny-class Soviet destroyer with an optional upgraded torpedo armament and modified AA suite.  Has a special form of premium camouflage which on top of the usual bonuses, increases free experience gains by 100%.

Cost:   Sold in bundles on the online store starting at $19.99 USD

PROs

• Shell flight characteristics are excellent -- fast and with a low flight arc but without sacrificing range.  These are simply the best among the current in-game destroyers.
  • Excellent AP values on their 130mm rifles, highest for a destroyer with 2500 alpha strike.  More than capable of landing citadel damaging shots against cruisers such as the Cleveland at medium to close range and stacking the damage quickly.
  • Interesting torpedo armament with two different upgrades to choose from.  One has a 4km range but travels at 65kts, the other has an 8km range and travels at 60kts.
  • Premium camouflage provides a bonus of 100% free experience earned per game on top of the usual camouflage bonuses for a tier 6 destroyer.

CONs

• Painfully slow turret traverse of 30s for 180' (6' per second).  The ship will easily out turn her turret traverse.
  • HE values for her 130mm aren't very good.  She shares the lowest alpha at her tier at 1600 and a modest 7% fire chance per shell.
  • Very large surface detection range while firing for a destroyer -- up to 12.9km.
  • Large turning circle for a destroyer at 610m.  Rudder shift time is 4.4s.  Feels more like a light cruiser.
  • AA suite does not have any dual purpose guns and is limited to automatic cannons.  This makes it vulnerable to the proposed changes to AA firepower in 0.5.3.

A versatile ship, the Anshan joins the ranks of the Blyskawica and Gremyashchy as an excellent mid-tier premium destroyer.

The Full Review

Would I recommend?   That 100% bonus free-experience is wonderful to have.  If you love your destroyer gameplay and you do not have a Blyskawica or a Gremyashchy, then the Anshan is very a good purchase.  Just be aware that a Pan-Asia tech-tree isn't coming out anytime soon, which limits her use as a trainer. 

Personally, I'll pass.  I have the Gremyashchy and Blyskawica and the Anshan doesn't offer me anything new.

Recommended Modules:  These are a pretty standard set of options for destroyers, particularly one focused on gunnery.

• Your first slot is easy. Main Battery Modification 1 is the only one that makes sense.
  • For your second slot, Gun Fire Control Modification 1 should be the only choice worth considering.  It's not to your advantage to pay for RoF with improved turret traverse from Main Battery Modification 2, so avoid it at all costs.  Your torpedoes, though nice, are a secondary armament compared to the guns of the Anshan.  You might also be tempted to turn the Anshan into an AA boat after hearing some reviews.  Avoid this.  She just doesn't have enough AA power to make this worthwhile. 
  • For your third slot, I recommend Propulsion Modification 1.  A destroyer that's dead in the water is a dead destroyer.
  • For your fourth slot, the best choice is Steering Gear Modification 2.  This reduces her rudder shift time down to 3.5s.

Recommended Consumables:   Keep in mind that the Destroyer Damage Control Party is on a 60s cooldown normally and that the premium version drops this down to 40s.  In addition, premium versions of other consumables will provide an additional charge along with reducing their reset timers.  I would strongly suggest going with the premium version of the Damage Control Party.

Recommended Captain Skills:  You'll be looking to specialize your Anshan towards a mobile gunship, primarily.  To this end, you want to focus on skills that will improve her gunnery while reducing her detection.  Keep in mind that Captain Skills will be changing shortly and if you're reading this post 0.5.3, the information here may be out of date.

• For tier 1, Situational Awareness is absolutely essential for destroyers.  This should be followed up with Basic Fire Training when you can afford to spend the extra point to increase her rate of fire.
  • For tier 2, you have your choice between Expert Marksman for increased turret rotation speed and Torpedo Armament Expertise.  Use the former if you find yourself fighting with the slow traverse of the Anshan's guns.  Use the latter if you lean heavily on your torpedo armament and want to accelerate it's rather slow reload.
  • For tier 3, Superintendent is the best choice, giving you an additional charge of your Speed Boost and Smoke Launcher consumables.
  • For tier 4, Advanced Fire Training is absolutely essential, increasing your fire range to 14.28km.  This will allow you to be able to fire from concealment in open water. 
  • For tier 5, Concealment Expert is the current best choice.  This will open up your fire from concealment range from 12.9km down to at least 12km, giving you a 2.2km window which is much more comfortable.

If you find yourself already comfortable with the 1.3km stealth window Advanced Fire Training provides, you may want to consider Demolish Expert rather than Concealment Expert on your second pass to increase the fire chance of your HE shells.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse, 28 March 2016 - 04:22 AM.

Q♥  Most Recent Review: HMS Hood

LittleWhiteMouse #2 Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:01 PM

Captain

• Members
    Beta Testers

For those wondering, this is an edited version of my original review for the Anshan.  This one is less coloured towards comparing her directly to the Gremyashchy and should feel like a more balanced look at how the ship stands upon its own merits and flaws.  I asked Niko to lock and move the older review.  It can be found (with all of the excellent comments) here.

The Full Explanation

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse, 10 February 2016 - 07:14 PM.

ValkyrWarframe #3 Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:03 PM

Captain

• Members

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 10 February 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

Or hope the player who has it is dumb enough to sail in a straight line and spam guns, like most of the DD players I see at Tier 5-7

Key: *In top 50 players on the server, Can't afford at the moment, 

USN: Clemson, Benson, St. Louis, Cleveland, Atlanta* (Guide Coming Soon!), New Orleans, New York, North Carolina, Iowa, Strike Bogue, Strike Ranger, Strike Lexington

IJN/Fleet of Fog/Dragon: Shinonome, Hatsuharu, Kagero, ARP Ashigara/Haguro/Myoko/Nachi, Southern Dragon, Mogami, ARP Takao, Mikasa, ARP Haruna/Hiei/Kirishima/KongouNagamon, Amagi, Hiryu

Soviet Union/Russia/Royal Navy: Kiev, Ognevoi, Svietlana*, Kirov*(My Guide), Chapayev, Dmitri Donskoi, Moskva* (My Guide)Black Swan (kek), Fiji, Edinburgh, Neptune

Kriegsmarine/Marine NationaleT-22Konigsberg, Admiral Graf Spee, Yorck, Nassau, Gneisenau, Bismarck, Friant, Émile Bertin (Guide Coming Soon!), La Galissonniére, Dunkerque (Gift from TenguBlade)

Mexicanarmada15 #4 Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I absolutely love the gnevy, one of my favorite dds. Its good at killing dds at its tier as well as being able to citadel cruisers that come to close. Nothing like charging down a bb who will panic and then torp him in the face. I have repeatedly killed 6 ships in one game with it though haven't been able to get higher lol. Getting the anshan will at least give me a reason to get the kiev once that discount comes around. The anshan in the battles I have used it plays exactly like a gnevy but the torps at 8km give it versatility through utility. It is a dd that can do well in more situations making it more dangerous for its tier. At tier 6 which is probably where it should be with those torps and guns means you will face bensons and fubukis in which case you stay closer to cruisers who will assist you in taking them down. But in tiers 5 6 and even 7 it is very competitive. If the gnevy was like the anshan I would say drop the ognevoi lol.
Spoiler

Lonewolfpj #5 Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

Thanks Mouse :medal:

Nachoo31 #6 Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:31 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

Dang it.  The tier 8 is coming too.  Question is do I really need another premium DD.  I do just fine in the Fujin.

Looking for Clan?  TheKriegsmarines [KMS]  

Have you clicked on the picture in my profile?  Enjoy!

http://na.warshipsto...836912/dark.png

Khafni #7 Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:37 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Thanks!

Morpheous #8 Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

I just got one shotted in my Anshan (full health) by another Anshan last night, I was like, what just happened?  We were just starting to duel, I got in my shot first, then BOOM!  Detonation.  He told me he fired HE and got the hit...wow.

Argh_My_Liver #9 Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:47 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers

Thank you for taking the time to re-write this review Mouse, I don't believe it is a good idea to focus on what something isn't rather than what it is and thats what my issue with your previous review was.

No the Anshan is not the Gremyaschy and quite frankly that is a good thing because the Gremlin is more than a little OP, with only its premium status saving it from a well deserved whack with the nerfbat. The Anshan is a very good ship that is available for a reasonable price. Again thank you for taking the time to put this together :honoring:

BarbedWireRat #10 Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

Excelent update, thanks for the thoughtful insights.  

Also, take a look at turret 3.  Its firing arc is not as restricted as is the Gnevny/Gremy which needs to show more broadside to train on the target.  So Anshan can get more guns on target while maintaining a slim frontal profile.

If locked on a target directly in front of you...

Anshan: (1/2)-(3)--(4)

Gnevny/Gremy: (1/2)------(4)--------(3)

Special_Kay #11 Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:51 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

I'm a little surprised to see you so strongly against Main Battery mod. 2. Given I would be manoeuvring profusely any time I'm under fire, I expect the better traverse would ultimately mean more shells on target than otherwise, even with a half-second faster reload. Granted, when you're alone against a torpedo boat that doesn't fire back, you'll lose the 10 or 15% damage output from reload inefficiency, but it seems like a good trade-off to me as you don't need to worry about maximizing main battery output for the times when you aren't under fire.

I am on vacation through June and into July 2017. There will be stretches where I am around infrequently, interspersed with stretches of complete absence.
Learn how to quantify the effect of fire chance modifications!

Enable replays! You never know when you will discover a bug or witness someone exploiting or being abusive, and demonstrating it to WG staff is much more difficult without a replay.

LittleWhiteMouse #12 Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:17 PM

Captain

• Members
    Beta Testers

View PostSpecial_Kay, on 10 February 2016 - 02:51 PM, said:

I'm a little surprised to see you so strongly against Main Battery mod. 2. Given I would be manoeuvring profusely any time I'm under fire, I expect the better traverse would ultimately mean more shells on target than otherwise, even with a half-second faster reload. Granted, when you're alone against a torpedo boat that doesn't fire back, you'll lose the 10 or 15% damage output from reload inefficiency, but it seems like a good trade-off to me as you don't need to worry about maximizing main battery output for the times when you aren't under fire.

I'm generally against Main Battery Modification 2.  You do make a good point -- it was one that Lert championed when I was writing my ARP Myoko review.  I think it's more valuable before you unlock Advanced Fire Training.  You'll be closer to your targets, taking bigger risks to stay near at hand while visible.  Once you unlock the fire from stealth meta, which I thoroughly champion for all destroyers, then maneuvers matter very little.  You are effectively outside of all enemy torpedo range short of a stealth launch from an enemy destroyer,  so you need maneuver very little if at all once you have your target in range.  At this point, the loss of DPM from Main Battery Modification 2 hurts more than it helps. 

Simply put, Main Battery Modification 2 is a bandaid that doesn't quite work as much as we need it to while at the same time hurting our ship in an area it's supposed to excel.

Special_Kay #13 Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:37 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 10 February 2016 - 03:17 PM, said:

I'm generally against Main Battery Modification 2.  You do make a good point -- it was one that Lert championed when I was writing my ARP Myoko review.  I think it's more valuable before you unlock Advanced Fire Training.  You'll be closer to your targets, taking bigger risks to stay near at hand while visible.  Once you unlock the fire from stealth meta, which I thoroughly champion for all destroyers, then maneuvers matter very little.  You are effectively outside of all enemy torpedo range short of a stealth launch from an enemy destroyer,  so you need maneuver very little if at all once you have your target in range.  At this point, the loss of DPM from Main Battery Modification 2 hurts more than it helps. 

Simply put, Main Battery Modification 2 is a bandaid that doesn't quite work as much as we need it to while at the same time hurting our ship in an area it's supposed to excel.

Aha, you and I have different preferences for where a gunship destroyer operates. I tend towards active destroyer defence which means constant vigilance of enemy fire, a lot of dodging, and little time spent broadside to my targets. It's a habit I started nurturing on the Gremyashchy and solidified on the Ognevoi, which now that I think about it is the destroyer where turrets become extremely fast traversing. I gather that, and this is likely where your advice against Main Battery mod. 2 comes from, employing a tactic like mine in a ship like the Anshan is bound to under-perform given her characteristics.

Edited by Special_Kay, 10 February 2016 - 08:38 PM.

I am on vacation through June and into July 2017. There will be stretches where I am around infrequently, interspersed with stretches of complete absence.
Learn how to quantify the effect of fire chance modifications!

Enable replays! You never know when you will discover a bug or witness someone exploiting or being abusive, and demonstrating it to WG staff is much more difficult without a replay.

Nhi_Vanye #14 Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Great review!  Thanks for putting all this effort in to help out the newer players.  It is greatly appreciated! :medal:

"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today" - Vice Admiral Sir David Beatty

LittleWhiteMouse #15 Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:11 PM

Captain

• Members
    Beta Testers

View PostSpecial_Kay, on 10 February 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

Aha, you and I have different preferences for where a gunship destroyer operates. I tend towards active destroyer defence which means constant vigilance of enemy fire, a lot of dodging, and little time spent broadside to my targets. It's a habit I started nurturing on the Gremyashchy and solidified on the Ognevoi, which now that I think about it is the destroyer where turrets become extremely fast traversing. I gather that, and this is likely where your advice against Main Battery mod. 2 comes from, employing a tactic like mine in a ship like the Anshan is bound to under-perform given her characteristics.

I love a good knife fight in my destroyers and I'm no stranger to getting up close with slow-turret turning ships (one need only look at my Warspite track record to see that).  I even prefer getting up close with my Gremyashchy, driving up alongside US Cruisers like the Cleveland and pummeling them at point blank range with AP inside of a smoke cloud.  However, when I'm writing these reviews, I have to be careful not to recommend using tactics that a new player might struggle with.  High-Risk + High Reward are all well and fine for those players who know how to use and abuse them.  But for players looking to get the best bang for their buck with their purchase, I try and recommend tactics and upgrades that will help them in the straight and narrow. 

This doesn't invalidate options like Main Battery Modification 2 when they're used by a player that knows what they're doing and what they've sacrificed to maximize a gain elsewhere.  I wish there were more upgrade options that had a positive and negative attached to them.  It bothers me that there are so many straight and narrow 'acceptable' choices to take (for example, Main Battery Modification 1) with a deficit of interesting choices elsewhere.  This is why I value such ships as the Myoko where several options are good and the choices between them change the playstyle of the ship.

My Gremyashchy reversing in smoke, danger close to an enemy Cleveland and pouring fire into her citadel.  I love a good knife fight and the 130mm of the Gnevny-class DDs are adept at punishing cruisers that stray too close with an exposed broadside, thinking they've got an easy DD kill.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse, 10 February 2016 - 09:17 PM.

Eisennagel #16 Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:35 AM

Rear Admiral

• Beta Testers

Anshan is back in the shop for now, for another 11 days.

Xero_Snake #17 Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:26 AM

Captain

• Members

Speaking of lacking of DP guns, Kiev has one - in-game. Although the standard Gnevny, Ognevoy and Tashkent could have their 76mm AA guns become DP.

Russian IRN/Soviet VMF tech tree proposals & speculations milestones:

Aircraft carrier line ( Part 1, Part 2 - Carrier-borne aircraft tech line proposal ); Battleship line 2.0; Battlecruiser line; Air defense (PVO) cruiser branch line; 2nd Destroyer line; Premium Collection ( Part 1, Part 2 )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General ideas archives: Battleships & battlecruisers discussions; Cruisers discussions

German lines assisting ideas: Battlecruiser line ( SMS-era, KMS-era ); Aircraft carrier line

Lancer78 #18 Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:37 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Just got half my money back in one game in this ship.  2,264 Free XP.

dEsTurbed1 #19 Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:42 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Buying ship from shop just gives you a comander with no skills. 

No way to invisa fire....

Got wrecked twice sitting in smoke....

Wish I would have known detectability range when firing...

Looks like I'm gonna have to Torp people till I get skills up.

THIS IS NOT WORLD OF BATTLESHIPS...CRY MORE AND IT WILL BE....

"REMOVE STEALTH TORP CHEAT"-Forum topic  found 4/17

If you wanted nuetuered IJN destroyers you succeeded. You could give them 3 sec turret rotation and rail guns to 20 km...it's lack of rof and stealthy torps that are needed.

centarina #20 Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:06 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

I bought this at the end of the sale and experimenting with best use of this ship.     Anshan has torpedo capability similar to mutuski  (6 tors at 60knot 8km  doing 14.4k  vs 59knot/10km/16.3k dmg)   with same reloading speed.     gun is of course gnevny  4 at 12rpm  while farragut now has 5 gun 15rpm(in B hull)   Stealth of course is 7km  vs 6.1 for mutsuki and 7.3 for farragut.   it also has 3k more hp than either.

I've been bit of quandry and struggling with how to use this ship in optimal way.   I always seem to struggle with new DD  and it takes me 10-50 games  (fubuki took 50 games to find comfort)  to settle into the ship due to retraining of captain and upgrade.   Anshan was no different.       Gnevny was ran as long distance gunship   due to short range torps.    but at t6, without AFT,   gunship alone really doesn't work as well.  my ownership started really bad with streak of losses, which resulted in 6loss in a row (once when my computer bsod'd)  and couple derps.       after 14 games, I am at  50%  but my dmg is bit  low still .    . The struggle I have is balancing the gun  vs torp.     without captain skills,  I've been struggling to find the sweet spot between gunning vs torpedo use.     until I get the AFT,  I've decided to play it more like fubuki and that has helped me settle into stable play.   I do use my fubuki as gunship, so I play it fairly aggressive, but not overly so.     so, more torpedo oriented play for now.    I am at 7 point captain, and once I get AFT at 10,  I will be getting BFT then TAE with  LS at15 probably.  alternate is getting TAE/BFT first then AFT , which I may do

This is basically equal to hatsuharu in terms of total capability with slightly better guns/worse torps.   bit worse than mahan.    overall a fair ship at t6. 

Edited by centarina, 24 February 2016 - 06:38 AM.

IJN: Mikasa,  Ichizuchi, Fuso, Amagi, Katori, kuma, Zao, Tachibana, KamikazeR, Shinonome, Shiratsuyu, Akizuki, Yugumo PA Anshan  

VFM: Aurora,Svietlana,  Murmansk, Budyonny, Chapayev, D.Donskoi, Ognevoi, Kiev, Tashkent, Udaloi, Khab  FRDougay T, Le Gal

USN:   New York, North Carolina,Phoenix,  Marblehead,  Indianapolis, Baltimore,  Farragut, Sims,Benson,Fletcher, Bogue    RN Leander, Edinburgh   

KM:  Konig Albert, Bayern, Graf Spee, Gneisenau, Bismarck, FDG, Emden, Karlsruhe  , Roon, Lib Maas         ARP: Kongo, Myoko, Haruna, Kirishima, Ashigara, Hiei, Haguro,  Nachi, Takao

Notser Certified Potato

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users