Premium Ship Review - ORP Blyskawica

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

LittleWhiteMouse #1 Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:32 PM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

The following is aimed at new(ish) players looking to find a little more information about various ships from events, for premium currency or for real-world cash.  The goal is to allow players to make an educated decision before parting with their time and money and to find premium vessels that suit their chosen style of play, whether that is competitive, cooperative, or simply for fun.  The idea here is to elabourate on information not commonly available through reading statistics and provide some (heavily) biased anecdotal evidence to encourage or dissuade you from making your purchase.  The usual disclaimers apply:  everyone knows the Matchmaker clearly loves me because I spend money so that's why I occasionally get really good games, not because I have any particular skills of note.

Other articles in this series:

A very special thanks to KillJoy1941 and x2_Weekends for their generosity.

Without further ado: 

The Polish Navy Grom-class Destroyer

ORP Blyskawica

"The Defiant."

Quick Summary:   The first Polish vessel in the game with a good mix of good guns, decent torpedoes and respectable top speed.  Very favourably compared to the Kiev.

Cost:  The Blyskawica was sold in bundles starting at $32.99 USD with 1000 doubloons and 1 week of premium time.  Sale began on Christmas Day 2015 and lasted for 10 days.  This sale was repeated for 48 hours in early April 2016.

PROs

• Heavy gun load-out of seven 120mm (4.5 inch) guns in four turrets.
  • Good range at 12km stock, which can upgrade to 14.4km.
  • Able to shoot from concealment, even in stock configuration (!).
  • Good chance of fire per shot at 8% per HE round.
  • Fast at 39 knots.
  • Can launch torpedoes from concealment with 8.0km range.
  • Largest hit point pool of any Tier 7 Destroyer at 15,500hp.

CONs

• Guns have a slow rate of fire for a Destroyer at 9.2rpm.
  • Slowish turret rotation at 10' per second
  • Rather large surface detection range of 7.7km stock.
  • Torpedoes are slow at 57 knots.
  • Large turning circle for a Destroyer at 610m and 5.8s rudder shift.
  • Terrible AA armament.
  • No other Polish ships in the game and no immediate plans to add any others.  This limits the ability of this ship to be used as a training vessel.

Just in time for New Year's, the Blyskawica arrives in North America.

The Full Review

Would I recommend?  For destroyer enthusiasts?  Absolutely.  She straddles the line between Soviet and US Destroyers, with good (but not great) guns and modest torpedoes.  You don't suffer the enormous surface detection ranges of the Soviets nor the Rainbow Arcs of the American Destroyer gunnery.  She's certainly not a stealthy predator like the IJN Destroyers, but she has the versatility that they lack.  I suspect she may be regularly compared to the Gremyashchy in terms of ability for her tier and I can't sing the praises of that particular destroyer enough.

Do note though, she is the only Polish ship in the game and likely to remain so for a long time, if not indefinitely.  This limits her use as a trainer so that's one hit against buying this Premium.  So you have to love collecting ships, love playing destroyers and/or want a mid-to-high tier ship to grind credits with to make this a worthwhile purchase.

Recommended Modules:

The Blyskawica takes a pretty standard loadout for gunboat destroyers.

• For the first slot, Main Battery Modification 1 is the only one worth while.  The reduced chance of being detonated is all too important for Destroyers.
  • I would equip Gun Fire Control System 1 to increase accuracy at range.
  • For the third slot, Propulsion Modification 1 has the most value.  It's imperative a Destroyer keep moving.  Speed is life.
  • Equip Steering Gear Modification 2.  This will reduce your rudder shift down to 4.6s

Recommended Captain Skills: 

Unlike with many other Nations in World of Warships, the Blyskawica is the only ship available.  This means you will be running a Captain dedicated to her and her skills will always reflect this.

• For Tier 1, the first skill must be Situational Awareness.  Knowing when you're lit or not is life and death in a Destroyer.  Basic Fire Training is also highly desirable, increasing your rate of fire from 9.2rpm to 10.1rpm.
  • Tier 2 has become a bit of a cluttered tier with a lot of nice skills to consider.  Last Stand is just too good for most Destroyer captains to pass up and i would recommend it for the first skill you grab.  Expert Marksman is nice for speeding up your turret rotation, but it's not paramount.  Torpedo Armament Expertise would also be nice to have, to accelerate your reload.
  • For tier 3,Superintendent is the most valuable, giving you a third charge of smoke and speed boost.
  • For tier 4, Advanced Fire Training will increase the range of your guns to 14.4km.  Demolition is also very desirable as it increases the already considerable fire chance up into the double digits.
  • For tier 5, Concealment Expert is useful, dropping her surface detection range down to 6.8km with her premium camouflage. 

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse, 09 April 2016 - 06:14 PM.

Q♥  Most Recent Review: HMS Hood

LittleWhiteMouse #2 Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:35 PM

Captain

• Members
    Beta Testers

Good call and done. :)

x2_Weekends #3 Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:39 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

Very nice! Thank you Mouse, for yet another fantastic review.  I'm glad the community can step in and help those who may not have the funds but are fully deserving of being gifted a Premium Ship.  :medal:

J30_Reinhardt #4 Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:40 PM

Vice Admiral

• Alpha Tester

Everytime I read that name I can only think of this:

Moo.

Danny Trejio makes my sandwiches.

I *am* the Brute Squad.

Ice_GopherFC #5 Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:42 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

This was exactly what I was waiting for before I decided to drop some bills. Another great write up!

AutismSpeaks #6 Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:08 PM

Ensign

• Members

Excellent!  +1

Retired ships (All #1 NA ranked):  Storozhevoi,Umikaze,Wakatake,Wickes,Izyaslav,Clemson,Gnevny,Nicholas,Ognevoi,Tashkent,Udaloi

https://warships.today/na - the best site for World of Warships statistics and player rankings, home of the WTR rating

StrixKitty #7 Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Beta Testers

I've always enjoyed the effort put into these ship reviews. The only request I could ever ask for is for more real life information (Especially on the guns)

Like on the Blyskawica's guns:

http://www.navweaps....47-50_m1934.htm

HE pack, muzzle velocity, IRL range...I prefer you use Navweaps when doing so. 

Kriegsmarine Forum Kitty

Details on Computers:

GuttBucket #8 Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:24 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

+1 Great review as always Mouse :honoring:

TheSalesmanLV #9 Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:30 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

These reviews are as enjoyable to read as any Jane's, with the added bonus of an incredibly distracting avi. :look:  I especially like the screenshots.  Thanks for all your effort.

With all these new DDs running around I'm tempted to finally grab the Atlanta, especially at the discount.

sushimaster #10 Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:41 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Hmn, not taking last stand might seem good on paper but irl, as soon as you get in a 6 kms fight with a Mahan or Benson, you're as good as dead, you're not fast enough to escape nor can you surpasses the US DD at that range, lose engine 2 times and be ready to get burn down and since US DD have better camo, that will happen alot. In a scenario where you do not have to worry about being stalk by US DD, that's when Demo or Aft going to shine, but still, it is too unreliable and situational. I'd still take last stand first before demo or Aft. Speaking personally from experience here, fought about 4-5 in my Benson since yesterday.

speed0293 #11 Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:46 PM

Seaman

• Members

Thanks for the write-up.  Now, what shall I do.,................?????   :hmm:

pmgaudio #12 Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:52 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

I was just thinking.... LWM, needs to put up a write up about this ship... and BAM!  here it is... fantastic!

Edited by pmgaudio, 26 December 2015 - 10:52 PM.

“Leave the gun....
Take the Cannoli”
  __Clemenza

:child:

Carrier_Taiyo #13 Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:52 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

That avatar... av... avatar...

I... I can't look away...

...wait, what was the thread about again? :unsure:

(PS, great review as always ;) )

My name is "Carrier," but I play multiple classes.

KmsH44 #14 Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:38 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Well, I personally find it to be a USN DD at heart. It is extremely versatile in the fact that it can stealth fire and stealth torp, however that's not all the similarities with USN. The arc can get abit high at longer range, albeit far better than USN satellite rounds. 

It's maneuverability is also great, with the 610m radius being the same as the much slower Fletcher and Gearing, and the slightly slower Sims. The rudder shift can be brought down to stock USN times in the 4.5 second area.

The Torpedoes can stealth fire, but only barely. I think it's about 100-200m of safe room, yet if they're heading away, you cannot stealth torp them.

The guns are great, but no where near VMF levels. The dmg and arc are similar to the USN 5"/38 guns, but with much better velocity.

I personally find this ship to be a pre arc nerf USN DD.

That's my short take on the Bliss-cah-weach-ah.

Also some things to note LWM:

You cannot say that Mahan has 12 torps, while this is true, you can only fire 8 in a salvo due to the third launcher's placement. Unless you want to turn around (NOT RECOMMENDED) to take an extra swing (that will miss, as the target is already turning and can easily dodge them). It can be misleading to newer players, or makes them think you should fire all 12 at one enemy.

For future reference, can you please state the safe zone for torpedoes? I've noticed you gave us the tools to figure it out ourselves, but some people don't try to figure it out and hear "Stealth Torping Abilities" without realizing how difficult the safe zone size makes stealth torping.

Due to the microscopic difference in detection range between the Blys. and all the USN DDs it is able to face, the Blyskawica is not actually in an advantageous or disadvantageous position. As soon as it's detected, it is 99% likely that it will detect the USN DD as well; and vice versa.

Thoughts LWM?

Retnav54 #15 Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:44 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

View Postx2_Weekends, on 26 December 2015 - 08:39 PM, said:

Very nice! Thank you Mouse, for yet another fantastic review.  I'm glad the community can step in and help those who may not have the funds but are fully deserving of being gifted a Premium Ship.  :medal:

Saw in another thread where you'd gifted the Blys to LWM. Good for you mate. When I was in the Navy, we always tried to "take care of our own", good to see there's still people in the world that think of others. What I've seen of LWM on the forums, she certainly deserves a "thank you" from the community.

The reason I try to stay mellow and not get wound up about what happens in game? It's called "perspective" - I spent 20 years on USN submarines in real life - and at my age, I've already been called most any name you can think of.:teethhappy:

Retnav54 #16 Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:56 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

View PostKmsH44, on 26 December 2015 - 11:38 PM, said:

Well, I personally find it to be a USN DD at heart. It is extremely versatile in the fact that it can stealth fire and stealth torp, however that's not all the similarities with USN. The arc can get abit high at longer range, albeit far better than USN satellite rounds.

It's maneuverability is also great, with the 610m radius being the same as the much slower Fletcher and Gearing, and the slightly slower Sims. The rudder shift can be brought down to stock USN times in the 4.5 second area.

The Torpedoes can stealth fire, but only barely. I think it's about 100-200m of safe room, yet if they're heading away, you cannot stealth torp them.

The guns are great, but no where near VMF levels. The dmg and arc are similar to the USN 5"/38 guns, but with much better velocity.

I personally find this ship to be a pre arc nerf USN DD.

That's my short take on the Bliss-cah-weach-ah.

Also some things to note LWM:

You cannot say that Mahan has 12 torps, while this is true, you can only fire 8 in a salvo due to the third launcher's placement. Unless you want to turn around (NOT RECOMMENDED) to take an extra swing (that will miss, as the target is already turning and can easily dodge them).

For future reference, can you please state the safe zone for torpedoes? I've noticed you graze over it sometimes.

Hmmmm, how would you say the guns compare against the stock 5 inch/51's on the Nicholas? From memory, I'm thinking with captains skills, both those, and the guns on the Blys, end up with the same ROF and turret traverse.

The reason I try to stay mellow and not get wound up about what happens in game? It's called "perspective" - I spent 20 years on USN submarines in real life - and at my age, I've already been called most any name you can think of.:teethhappy:

KmsH44 #17 Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:59 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostRetnav54, on 26 December 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

Hmmmm, how would you say the guns compare against the stock 5 inch/51's on the Nicholas? From memory, I'm thinking with captains skills, both those, and the guns on the Blys, end up with the same ROF and turret traverse.

Well..... I honestly can't say... I shamelessly free exp'd past the Nicholas in both beta and release.....

Actually I played a few games in it back in April, huh. Look at that, thought I purely skipped it to the Farragut.

poppajohnpaul2003 #18 Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:44 AM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

great write up

Retnav54 #19 Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:52 AM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

View PostKmsH44, on 26 December 2015 - 11:59 PM, said:

Well..... I honestly can't say... I shamelessly free exp'd past the Nicholas in both beta and release.....

Ah well, no problem, I'll be finding out for myself shortly.:)

Those guns were a good part of the reason I decided to try out the USN DD line a while back. I was checking out the stats on each one up thru Tier 6, and when I saw that the stock guns on the Nicholas were listed as "127mm/51 Mk 7", that clinched the deal. Check out navweaps, those guns were purpose-made high velocity anti-ship weapons, originally as the secondary battery on USN BB's expressly for killing DD's - they're the secondary battery in game for all USN BB's from Wyoming up thru Colorado. IRL, something like 3200 fps, navweaps website says that "the Navy was quite proud of the performance and accuracy of these guns". They gained their place in history at Wake Island in WW2 - there was a battery of these set up as coast artillery - when the Japanese first attacked the island, one gun literally blew an IJN DD out of the water with only 3 rounds, hitting it's magazine - and the rest of the battery severely mauled several other ships.

The way they modeled the velocity and shell arc of these guns in game, at least before they started monkeying around with the Nicholas tech tree, was fairly accurate - compared to a 5"/38, you could drive nails with those guns - they were every bit as good as the guns on the Grem, as far as shell arc, velocity, and accuracy. Some people purposely ran the stock hull 24/7 on the Nicholas, just so they could have all 5 of those guns on board - or like myself, ran the upgraded hull, upgraded torps, and stock guns - it could be quite the little Tier 5 monster - no wonder WG nerfed it and changed the tech tree on it.

When I first watched reviews of the Blys, I noticed the shell arc and velocity of those guns and how they performed, and started thinking to myself "that looks like a 7 gun Nicholas or Grem.... oh heck yes, I WANT one of those!"

LittleWhiteMouse #20 Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:10 AM

Captain

• Members
    Beta Testers

Destroyer & Armament 1km 2km 3km 4km 5km 6km 7km 8km 9km 10km 11km 12km
Mahan, 127mm 0.48 1.03 1.66 2.31 3.03 3.83 4.83 5.83 6.92 8.46 9.59 11.21
Hatsuharu, 127mm 0.42 0.89 1.44 2.01 2.64 3.34 4.22 5.10 6.20 NA NA NA
Kiev, 130mm 0.43 0.90 1.36 1.93 2.48 3.06 3.77 4.44 5.25 6.01 6.83 7.59
Sims, 127mm 0.48 1.03 1.66 2.31 3.03 3.83 4.83 5.83 6.92 8.46 9.59 11.21
Blyskawica, 120mm 0.42 0.88 1.36 1.95 2.54 3.18 3.96 4.72 5.66 6.57 7.55 8.62

High Explosive Shell Flight Time in Seconds to Specific Ranges, per Destroyer.

As shown here, the flight time of the Blyskawica's guns compare closest to the IJN 127mm guns but with better performance.  At max stock range, she's within 1 second of the performance of the 130mm of the Soviets though this disparity only increases at greater ranges up to her maximum of 14km.

In response to KmsH44

1.) You cannot say that Mahan has 12 torps, while this is true, you can only fire 8 in a salvo due to the third launcher's placement.

I can and did!  Muahahaha!  :playing:

Alright, seriously now.  I'm well aware the Mahan has an 4 + 4 + 4 torpedo layout (port, starboard, dorsal).  My own experiences with her are never to fire the 8 then swing around for the 4, but rather to fire the 4 to make my enemies commit to a turn and then hit them with the 8.  Having three launchers is a huge advantage with the Mahan, and it's very easy with the American agility to make use of all twelve against long range targets while still keeping out of detection range.

2.) For future reference, can you please state the safe zone for torpedoes?

I certainly can.  I've been tempted to write a form of stats page for key features that aren't listed without doing math (DPM, Stealth window for firing guns, Stealth window for firing torps, etc) but making tables and charts is really bothersome on a forum format.  I'd prefer to do this as a graphic showing key features, but I need to get my drawing tablet working before I'll do this comfortably.  Like the Warspite review, I will be taking a second pass at these as the patches roll out to keep them relevant.  The Atlanta, for example, is becoming woefully out of date and needs a face-lift. I can try and glue in some of that too.

3.) Due to the microscopic difference in detection range between the Blys. and all the USN DDs it is able to face, the Blyskawica is not actually in an advantageous or disadvantageous position. As soon as it's detected, it is 99% likely that it will detect the USN DD as well; and vice versa.

It depends on the US Destroyer and the Captain, obviously, though you're not entirely wrong.  Even with camouflage, the Sims is visible from 7.3km, the Mahan from 7.7km.  The Farragut is downright stealthy at 7.1km and the Nicholas even more so at 6.5km.  The higher tier USN DDs come in at 7.2km each.  This is a window of 200m to 300m typically (and up to 1km for the Nicholas) with only the Mahan being the fat cow that will be spotted long beforehand.  All of these ranges become moot the moment people start opening fire of course.

This is, however, a marked disadvantage of being seen first.  The ship that spots the other first has a precious few moments of reaction time -- even if they can't avoid being spotted themselves.  This can be enough to line their guns up on target and be ready to pull the trigger if not send a volley already on the way.  With the higher DPM of most of the USN Destroyers, this can guarantee a huge lead on what might otherwise be a close knife fight.  Even the Nicholas can put out 108,000dpm to the 109,480 of the Blyskawica, so that first volley can make all of the difference.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse, 27 December 2015 - 01:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users