FIX FOR College / ISP Won't Allow Torrents for WoWs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

CadaverHvyMtl #1 Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:21 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

So, you are at College, or have an Internet Service Provider which hates any Torrents, and cuts your bandwidth, preventing you from downloading the updates for World of Warships?

Sadly, the new Launcher does not allow for you to turn off Torrents.  

Support knows of the issue, but has not posted a work around. 

Ard, Niko, and Robots are aware of the issue, and are pushing it up the chain of command.  Ard even sent me a thread from WoT EU forum on how they did a workaround.  

So, until WG realizes they done goofed, here is the fix for you:

Go to your World of Warships folder. 

Find the WoWsLauncher.cfg file.  This file is the configuration file for the Launcher.  Save a copy of this file to a location you can easily restore it from (such as your desktop) in case you accidentally erase, or mess it up, when you modify it.

Open the file with Notepad.

Change the values for these items:

launcher_transport - change from 3 (allow torrents) to 2 (no torrents.)

display_seeding_mode - change from 0 to 1 (so you can see in the Launcher settings if it is using your bandwidth to update other players' computers.)

seeding_mode change from 1 to 0 ( so it does not seed, or start uploading to other players' computers - using the bandwidth YOU PAY FOR to update other players.)

OPTIONALLY: You may want to change the torrent_ports_begin from 6881 to a bunch of letters, which MAY (not sure) prevent the torrent from having a port to use.

OPTIONALLY: You can also change the max_concurrency from 4 to 1 - possibly preventing the torrents, but may slow down your download. (NOT TESTED!!!)

This is what the guts of the file should look like, without the max_concurrency adjustment:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--!!!DON'T EDIT, MOVE OR DELETE THIS FILE!!!-->
<info version="2.0">
    <options>default</options>
    <launcher_transport>2</launcher_transport>
    <max_concurrency>4</max_concurrency>
    <display_seeding_mode>1</display_seeding_mode>
    <seeding_mode>0</seeding_mode>
    <torrent_ports_begin>xxxx</torrent_ports_begin>
    <launcher_ver>050.000136</launcher_ver>
    <content_ver>51.128579</content_ver>
    <client_ver>51.128424</client_ver>
    <supported_chains>f0</supported_chains>
    <selected_target>full</selected_target>
    <supported_launch_types>default</supported_launch_types>
    <lang>en</lang>
    <supported_langs>en,es_mx,pt_br</supported_langs>
    <patch_info_urls>
        <item>http://update.worldo...hips.com</item>
    </patch_info_urls>
</info>

(Please note: The Forum website shortens urls, so the item with the http address in it is update.worldofwarships followed by .com)

Save that as the WoWsLauncher.cfg file in your World of Warships directory, and Viola! NO TORRENTS.

Make sure you save a backup of the modified .cfg file as the Launcher may replace it, after the update!

Hope this helps.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Having come, take.

Fix for those who cannot torrent due to college, or ISP:
http://forum.worldof...age__p__1397147

CadaverHvyMtl #2 Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:46 PM

• Beta Testers

Seems several are having issues with the torrented update...

This modification of the config file may help them, too...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Having come, take.

CadaverHvyMtl #3 Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:32 PM

• Beta Testers

UPDATE:

The Launcher REWRITES The Configuration File each update. 

So... This fix is now broken :(

Working on it, at least before they get my ISP ticked off so much, they stop service. 

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Having come, take.

Rick302 #4 Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:26 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

CadaverHvyMtl ,

Thank you very much... did this and fixed it.. was attempting to do fixes learned in WOT, but no go... I can see why you have the rate of Master Chief ..

Drahkan #5 Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:36 AM

• Beta Testers

View PostCadaverHvyMtl, on 13 November 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

UPDATE:

The Launcher REWRITES The Configuration File each update. 

So... This fix is now broken :(

Working on it, at least before they get my ISP ticked off so much, they stop service. 

It's not necessarily broken; almost all of the config-type files get overwritten every time the game updates, so when it comes to making changes you just need to remake your edits after every update. (BTW, you need to be sure the file is saved as a .cfg file, not a .txt file! I suggest downloading Notepad++ or a similar, free text editor - if on Windows, at least - to use for these sorts of changes.)

You can also turn off the "seeding" aspect of the launcher through the WoWS launcher settings window, right here:

Making sure that box is unchecked is the same as manually modifying the .cfg file, at least as far as the <seeding_mode> param is concerned. As for the other changes, such as the port, it appears that you can't change it to letters via the launcher, although switching to a different port number is at least accepted...but whether or not it will help resolve this "ISP/school blocks torrents"-issue, I can't say.

Anyway, at the very least I hope this helps people who are only experiencing difficulties due to seeding being active and/or because the default port is blocked. It's definitely safer than manually editing a config file if that can be avoided while still solving your problem. :honoring:

CadaverHvyMtl #6 Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:06 AM

• Beta Testers

Problem is the Torrent starts right after the Launcher updates the configuration file.  From what I can tell, you are not "seeding," but a dozen+ connections hit your computer, causing the ISP to react...

The only "fix" I have found, so far, is temporary:  Allow the Launcher to update, then stop is the moment the torrents start, update the file to the above settings, then restart.   The torrents stop, and the download (albeit slower) will continue.  

I Advise AGAINST clicking the ADD button, as this seems to bypass your firewall settings, and gives permission for the Torrent to be allowed.

Edited by CadaverHvyMtl, 24 November 2015 - 06:08 AM.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Having come, take.

Drahkan #7 Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:24 PM

• Beta Testers

Hm, well...that sucks. I was just referring to the Seeding check box, not the ADD button, as you'd think that it would save that change you've otherwise made to the .cfg file. I have never modified that particular cfg file, TBH, and yet when I opened it, it was already set to <seeding_mode>0</seeding_mode>. So it's strange that's not the case for everyone, or just as bad, that even if it is the case, it apparently doesn't actually mean "you won't be seeding" according to your testing. :amazed:

Battleship_California #8 Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:13 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

no longer relevant

Edited by Blazingsandman, 28 April 2016 - 02:06 AM.

Can't think ahead? Play cruisers instead.

Cruisers aren't OP, they simply reward reactionary play. Reacting is their job: using speed and firepower to flex across the map as necessary. Battleships reward predictive play; their job is knowing what will be where and when, and choosing where to make a show of force appropriately. Prediction of naval disposition is the mark of a good admiral. Any decent captain can react to a situation, but the admiral must know the situation before it unfolds. So I challenge you to ask yourself, are you a captain or an admiral? -Special_Kay

In_Cog_Neato #9 Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:43 PM

Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

AN UPDATE:

IF it is a BIG update/patch.  Let the small update happen.  When the 2nd, much larger download starts, stop the download, and turn off the launcher.  THEN adjust the configuration file as stated above with ONE more fix, as there is now an additional line in the file:

<connections_limit>200</connections_limit> change the 200 to something much smaller, like 4.

Then restart the launcher.

IF you do not allow the small update to complete, any modifications to the configuration file will be overwritten, and you will get stuck torrenting.

Edited by In_Cog_Neato, 27 April 2016 - 09:46 PM.

CadaverHvyMtl #10 Posted 28 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

• Beta Testers

UPDATE: You are NOT going to like this.  The fix listed here WILL NO LONGER WORK.  The new updater used across the board, from WoT to WoWs, will FORCE the Torrent. So, the present WoT update force torrents.  Any future WoWs update will do the same...

Even after you Fix the Configuration File, the TORRENT STILL STARTS.

Copy Pasta Report from World of Tonks Support Ticket:  Bold Emphasis Added:

Al Reed

Hi CadaverHvyMtl,

Thank you for contacting Wargaming support!

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some network throttling that has slowed your update process.

Unfortunately there is no longer a way to turn off the torrenting, as it is a part of the update process.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and hope that your ISP discontinues throttling this connection.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Al Reed

Wargaming America Support

You can always check your ticket status by logging into our Support Portal:

https://na.wargaming.net/support/

Please don't forget to fill out our survey once your ticket has been completed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Having come, take.

CadaverHvyMtl #11 Posted 28 May 2016 - 02:58 PM

• Beta Testers

I am presently looking into other options.  Such as OS/firewall/Anti-virus options to block the torrenting.   Have an issue like this, create a support ticket, and complain. Make sure to trash the survey, as it is probably the only way to get the attention of "higher ups," who make decisions like this.

In addition, ALL players SHOULD place some software which watches the addresses from the torrenting sites.  This software, which blocks blacklisted IP addresses, may prevent the torrent from being corrupted by those with less than honorable intentions. Better safe than sorry.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Having come, take.

MJJ007 #12 Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Yup as the previous post indicates the main reason a lot of colleges and companies in my case block torrent is that it opens a semi truck sized hole for hackers etc. to get into your system. Hopefully wargaming clues into this and sets up other options.  Otherwise sooner or later someone will get nailed by the wow, wot etc torrent being hacked into.  If wargaming is unlucky they could then be facing a lawsuit or other legal actions. I hope they fix the process first though. I love the game and would love to be able to play it again. 

ElChingontank #13 Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

This worked for me. Thank you for the information. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users