Right of way for ships discussion

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

kerensky914 #21 Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Supertester

My two cents on this topic.  Granted, bigger ship should generally have the right of way.  But also, f you are behind another ship, please assume that he has no idea you are there.  It's like skiing or snowboarding, the guy in front has right of way because he probably doesn't see you coming up behind him.

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes.  Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Lew_Patton #22 Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

I'm a newbie, but my pet peeve is getting rammed in the rear. Should be no excuse for that.

Veteran of the 1st Infantry Division, "The Big Red One"  

2ndAcr01 #23 Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:28 PM

Seaman

• Members

I will admit that I have rammed a few ships, one in my Minakaze, I was gunning the last enemy DD and got closer than I like to an allied Cruiser as the DD died. The cruiser, a Furry Taco if I remember right, decided to turn into my path, I slammed into full reverse trying to avoid him, but we collided anyway, which halted his turn just enough that he ate a volley and died.

I said I was sorry and had slammed full reverse to try and halt my forward progress.

It does happen. I have been rammed more times than I can count, I just chalk it up and keep going, 99% of the time I don't expect any apology, it happens and is not worth my time getting irritated about.

aether_tech #24 Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:05 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers
  • Members

View PostPcolaTy_1, on 31 December 2015 - 07:13 PM, said:

Actually, I think the right of way should go to whoever has low maneuverability. For example

Destroyer vs Cruiser - Cruiser has RoW

Cruiser vs Battleship - Battleship has RoW

Any ship vs carrier - carrier has RoW.

You want my Imperator NIcolai to manuver around a Rujio?

I am insane.

But I am not stupid.

Maybe a little psychotic...

TheTitan0914 #25 Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:08 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I believe that it really depends. If you are a Destroyer and you say in chat that you are headed for a specific target that is clearly in front of you, and a Battleship or Cruiser cuts you off, you had the right of passage. But if you are just going along one way and a ship is turning out of the way of projectiles or just turning to go another way, the bigger ship has the right a way. But, if you are just dodging shots and you happen to run into someone, it's no big deal. I'd say in a firefight, the DD has the right away because it must turn and maneuver quickly so that it doesn't get destroyed while delivering torpedo's. Just me theory.

USN: Baltimore, New Orleans, Pensacola, New York, and Farrugat

IJN: Hatsuharu

Need Pensacola Help? Click Here! (or PM me for any American Cruiser help): http://forum.worldof...3527-pensacola/

NK_33 #26 Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

I think the ship getting shot at by the entire enemy team has the right of way.  He has a bit more on his mind that sailing in a straight line waiting for his guns or torps to reload.

Everybody just makes up quotes on the internet
- Hammurabi

Curmudgeon without portfolio

dcr66 #27 Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Unlike real ships where someone is always looking forward while someone else are dealing with the guns; WoWS is promoting distracted ship handling in the worst possible way. Once the shooting starts, you are to shoot and use the tiny map to determine whether you have turned enough. You may or may not bother with CTRL-X to lock the guns to check your surroundings.

48 yrs old .NET Team Lead / Sr Software Developer. Modern naval history guru. 

Supertester in World of Tanks Console - Xbox One

RolandTGunner #28 Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

There's always going to be careless drivers out there.

Sometimes collisions are unavoidable in the heat of battle, I get that.

But it's really annoying while sailing a BB at 1/4-1/2 speed and getting rammed by a full speed DD and having to pay out way more than I get back.

They need to balance the team damage compensation better. Maybe that would help people pay attention.

TDBraun #29 Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:50 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Remember that just because you have the right of way doesn't mean you have no responsibilities, or no need to watch where you are going. This is true even for Battleships. And once a collision happens you can and should help the situation.

For example, one time I was in a Cruiser and saw an enemy Destroyer was closing to torp a nearby friendly Battleship. I rushed across the BBs course line to chase off the DD, and succeeded, but ended up impaling myself on the bow of the BB, who did nothing to avoid it. Okay. My fault I guess. But the BB just kept plowing ahead full speed, no turning, with me stuck on his bow unable to get off. He shot off his guns in my face at some distant enemy doing me damage, and this went on for a good 30 seconds, no exaggeration. All he had to do was slow down a bit to let me off. I don't even know if he knew I was there. Finally I shot off my gun into the water and he typed "LOL" in the chat (I didn't think it was funny) and he slowed, leaving me to slide off dead in the water and shortly after I was hit by torps from that DD and died. I got pretty mad and called him a "Sh**head" in the chat. He just said he had the right of way.. period. He probably wasn't even aware I saved him from eating 5 torps in his side.

Gothik_Knight #30 Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

The right of way rule is simple.. I have the right of way.

Seriously though, avoiding a collision is everyone's responsibility.  Yes, a person might expect the Destroyer to do more to avoid the collision, but if the Battleship player isn't trying to avoid the collision also, then that Battleship player is at fault should the collision occur.   If both ships take reasonable action to avoid a collision and the collision still occurs, then it was an unavoidable accident.  If one ship doesn't try to avoid the accident while the other does, the ship that didn't try to avoid the collision is negligent and therefor at fault.  If neither ship tries to avoid the collision, they both deserve what they get.

IFranchizeI #31 Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:40 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

When I take out my BB and I get hit and it slows me down to zero I get pissed; because I'm driving a new work and it takes FOREVER to gain my speed back lol.

thehelmsman #32 Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:42 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Alpha Tester

View PostShermanMedium, on 20 November 2015 - 04:39 PM, said:

BBs have the right of way, always. No exceptions, never.

False. If you're in a BB coming up behind somebody who's engaged, yield the space they need to maneuver.

Rule of thumb: if somebody in front of you is being shot at, they're not looking at you. They're looking at whoever is shooting at them. Stay out of their way, regardless what class of ship they're in.

--Helms

THE HARBOR

pikohan #33 Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

In general I'd agree with the less agile ship having the right of way, but having read this thread I do think there is something to be said about yielding to a ship who is engaging the enemy. Not sure how practical that is, but it's a good point.

CAPTMUDDXX #34 Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:21 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

yes there should be right of way considerations but in this game they are rarely considered

IceSerpen7 #35 Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

Commander

• Members

There also should be considerations with regards to necro of ancient threads, but...you know...

Quaffer #36 Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

Captain

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

Well one good necro deserves another. So without further ado...

In the fall of twenty twelve the forums were begun
A chance to play the biggest ships that had the biggest guns
The threads came fast and furious. We had a lot of fun
With experts, trolls and humorists, the threads were never done

The older threads were sinking down, regardless poor or good
And every necromancer, knew and understood
They had to seek the necro, their diligence was key
And find the threads forgotten, now lost beneath the sea

We'll find the threads that warmed our hearts and never mind the fuss
We gotta bring 'em back 'cause the world depends on us
Hit the decks a-runnin' boys and spin those winches 'round
When we find our favorites we'll send the divers down

"We're writing new threads all the time and they deserve their day"
"Leave those old ones in their graves or else just go away"
"We don't much like your antics" was the critics sound
But when the smoke had cleared away the necros would not drown

So through long days and weary nights the necromancers sail
While anti-necromancers, against the practice rail
And somewhere neath that ocean, I know they gotta be
We gotta raise the necro from the bottom of the sea

Now some old threads are excellent to show the newbie green
Still some are just plain stupid, and some are just plain mean
Not every thread is worthy of coming back again
We all should use discernment before we post and grin

Johnny Horton - Sink the Bismarck

I am under an NDA and will not comment on Super Testing.

Camo68 #37 Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:31 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

IRL:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Regulations_for_Preventing_Collisions_at_Sea

It can be condensed down to every vessel has a responsibility to take appropriate action, where possible, to avoid a collision.

Common sense keep to starboard and be obvious about your actions to avoid collisions  and dont expect the other vessel to take action

Having said that my brother in law sails  in international competitiions and the tactics around the use and abuse of the right of way rules are an entire race in themselves!

In the game where lives are not at risk and ships are made of pixels its simpler - Watch where you are going!

My Current Ships

thehelmsman #38 Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:49 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Alpha Tester

Hell, I didn't do it.... <.<

--Helms

THE HARBOR

poeticmotion #39 Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:40 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

When I see a pink ship that hasn't moved several minutes into the game, I try to make time to run into it and damage him a little...since it seems like a lot of pink players load into games and sit there afk to work off their pink status, it's nice to make sure that this afk game didn't count for them. :D

Tier 10: Khabarovsk, Kurfurst, Minotaur, Tier 9: Fletcher, Friedrich, Udaloi,, Z-46 Tier 8: North Carolina, Bismarck, Z-23, Edinburgh ARP Takao, Akizuki, Kiev, Ognevoi Tier 7: all ARP Myokos, Gneisenau, Leningrad, ShiratsuyuFiji, Tier 6: Budyonny, FarragutShinonome, Fuso, Leander, Bayern, Graf Spee  Tier 5: Kamikaze-R, all ARP Kongos Tier 4: Clemson, IshizuchiV170, Kaiser Tier 2: Tachibana, Mikasa

My guides: Poetic's Guide To Getting Gud Or At Least Less Bad: Tips From A Former Potato     Poetic's post-0.6.0 guide to DD skills and capt builds

The URL Guy is OP, but please don't nerf him. 

Aduial #40 Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:09 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View Postpoeticmotion, on 03 February 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

When I see a pink ship that hasn't moved several minutes into the game, I try to make time to run into it and damage him a little...since it seems like a lot of pink players load into games and sit there afk to work off their pink status, it's nice to make sure that this afk game didn't count for them. :D

You cruel, cruel person........:D

My terrible stats:

My Favorite ships: Mogami, Myoko, Clemson, T8 Fubuki (sadly, the T6 Fubuki doesn't feel quite as good), Mikasa, Gneisenau, Fletcher

My topics: Aduial's commander build recommendations (post 0.6.0)               Remove Detonations from Ranked battles              Mogami deserves a buff           Rebalancing Aircraft Loadouts          Repair Party for Tier 8 Cruisers?           Strafing:           Suggestion about carrier MM          

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users