Right of way for ships discussion

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

nathan1981 #1 Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:16 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

This seems to come up a lot.  Several times teammates collide and one decides to get mad about it.  It really shouldn't be a big deal because it's just a game, but people do enjoy trying to play games well.  So, I thought right-of-way should be discussed a bit.  Granted, most people probably aren't going to even bother reading this but who knows, it might help some people.

If a ship isn't moving, it has the right of way.  That doesn't mean a ship should run right into you and stop right there then blame you in chat, I'm assuming the players aren't deliberately being obnoxious.

If two ships are moving, the biggest ship has the right of way.  Cruisers and Destroyers shouldn't collide with a moving Battleships because the Battleships simply cannot maneuver as easily, though everyone should be aware of everyone else.  Destroyers shouldn't collide with any teammate.  Carriers basically should never be collided with by any teammate.  

A Battleship really has right-of-way at all times so long as they aren't being silly.  If there are some teammates sitting at the corner of an island, the battleship shouldn't try to full-steam that edge of the island.  

The reason I'm posting this is because it keeps happening and it baffles me.  I was in a Myogi and a teammate Cruiser T-Boned me.  It was about a minute into the match, the Cruiser was fleeing the side of the map they were placed at for the entire other side of the map.  That was ridiculous enough, but then they put their bow into my stern and proceeded to ask me if I was blind.  They apparently believed that I was responsible, as though it were a ground-pounder intersection and I had run a red light.  The high seas rules for right-of-way are not the same as the rules for cars.  It would help if people knew this.  It would also help if people didn't treat a ~1% notch to HP as significant, but hey, one step at a time.

Doutech #2 Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

It has always been a general rule of thumb since CBT that the less maneuverable ship always has the right of way.

Lert #3 Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:44 PM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

Rule of tonnage, very simple.

That said, I do like your 'as long as they aren't being silly' addendum.

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

Ship hipster: I liked Alabama before it was cool

10T0nHammer #4 Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

Rear Admiral

• Supertester

Agreed.

it's such a silly thing to get mad over. I usually make a joke of it if I'm not in a fire fight, like this time I hit a Kongo's stern with my Fuso's bow. I typed "sorry you just have such a beautiful stern" then we laugh about it. Or when I got t-boned in a BB by a DD in the first minute of battle, I typed "sorry I thought I could drift need for speed style around you" lol

Overmatch Mechanics Suck and Here is Why                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Mayhem1 #5 Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

I do like to run over DDs in my BB for no other reason but because they have small blind captains. Tell me to move..OK  Ill move right over you..To bad you can submerge a DD when you T bone one...They wont do that again..

4wilds #6 Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:03 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Supertester
  • Beta Testers

Agreed.

I've had DDs and CAs run into my BB and then get mad and tell me to watch where I am going. I've also had an Atlanta full on T-bone me because he was scoped in and not watching his surroundings get mad at me and shoot me saying it is my job to avoid him because he was firing at an enemy ship. I then told him to shoot me again and see what happens, he called me an a-hole and got out of my way.

We should kill someone tonight...I mean like a hobo or something

Jimmy_Patterson #7 Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:46 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

my favorate excuse  "oh sorry...thought you needed help to manover" we all make mistakes but genenrally im good about not running into people

ShermanMedium #8 Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:39 PM

Rear Admiral

• -Members-

BBs have the right of way, always. No exceptions, never.

I hope to become a blue in rating by the time summer rolls around. I am always open to suggestions on how I may improve. I primarily main USN DDs and secondarily main VMF DDs, KM DDs, and KM BBs. I am casually grinding USN BBs, IJN BBs, and VMF CLs/CAs. Presently, my max tier is IX.

10T0nHammer #9 Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:41 PM

Rear Admiral

• Supertester

View PostShermanMedium, on 20 November 2015 - 01:39 PM, said:

BBs have the right of way, always. No exceptions, never.

But what if two BBs are coming right at each other?!

Skull_004 #10 Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Post10T0nHammer, on 20 November 2015 - 03:41 PM, said:

Higher Tier has right of way, if Tie suggest .... *placeholder for suggestions*

"May Your Shells ALWAYS find their mark!"

Harathan #11 Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:25 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View Post10T0nHammer, on 20 November 2015 - 01:41 PM, said:

Head on? Both turn right. 
Teamwork is OP. Give it a try.

10T0nHammer #12 Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:26 PM

Rear Admiral

• Supertester

View PostHarathan, on 20 November 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

Head on? Both turn right. 

Everyone knows BBs only go straight!!! Why do you think torps are so OP!

MnemonScarlet #13 Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:12 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

It's always awkward when some cruiser hits your BB, then catches the salvo/torps meant for you and disintegrates... >.>
Spoiler

aether_tech #14 Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:23 AM

Commander

• Beta Testers
  • Members

My Konigsberg got t-boned by a scopped-in Tenyru who...also shot me while trying to shoot a Wyoming (or was it a new york?). While I was dueling retreating Omaha and a  charging Farragut.

Thanks buddy........and I quote "****ing a** ur in m way!!!!!!!!!!"

I forget how many exclamation marks he used. He sunk not a single ship, and bottom'd on the charts that game.

Rule 1:  Get out of the way for bigger slower, less maneuverable ships.

Rule 2: Don't interrupt someone's line of fire. 

Rule 3: Don't Scope All The Time. Use the Right-Click Button A LOT.

Rule 4: When you t-bone someone, it is your fault. You could slow down, and/or turn. Get your [edited]out of your aiming reticle and click that right-mouse button.

I am insane. But I am not stupid. Maybe a little psychotic...

AMD K6-2+ 550MHZ, ABIT Apollo VP3 MB, 128MB SDRAM, Maddog ATI 9250, Maxtor 10GB 5400RPM Hard Disk Drive, Intel Pro/100 Network Card, sexy beige case!

FKKarpeDiem #15 Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:17 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

1) Reality is that the least maneuver-able ship, IE A WInd Powered Sailboat would have the right of way.

A OMG Tanker/Larger CV/BB would obviously be next.

2) The ship to the right always has the ROW as well.

The lights on a ships are configured to show you a RED if you are to the LEFT of the ships ROW.

If you are the ship to the RIGHT, you will always see a GREEN light telling you that you have ROW.

This is reality, not CGI/GUI/etc.

My problem with getting bumped or rammed by a colleague is this:

1) You cannot fire without hitting them. You would then be a sitting duck on the map. I love to see 2 adversaries collide, just lob shells, you have to hit something.

2) I was hit by a St Louis (trying to avoid torps). He ended up pinning us both to an island and we both got our butts shot clean off. Torps,(sitting still right?) and shells poured in relentlessly.

Edited by DKW_86, 26 December 2015 - 08:22 AM.

Captain_Wizard #16 Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:25 PM

Seaman

• Members

I hear what you all are saying - but in the real-world right of way has NOTHING to do with size.  Sailboats always have right of way over powered ships.  Other than that there are very specific rules for a lot of situations - but if everyone follows one rule then there are no collisions - always turn to the right.

I should also point out that in the Navy we had an unofficial rule "Law of Gross Tonnage" which meant that even if you had right of way over the oil tanker, don't expect anyone to be on his bridge, and even if so, he ain't a gonna maneuver.

I realize that almost no one on WOWS is an actual pilot or officer of the deck so mostly I stick with the always turn right rule and assume no one is on the bridge of the other ship.  It usually works. except for the guys creeping up on your port side when firing to starboard.  WOWS ought to put a collision alert sound like they do for islands.

Apewar #17 Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:45 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Dont get mad...dont start typing,  just play the game.

1Sherman #18 Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:56 AM

Commander

• Alpha Tester

View PostLert, on 20 October 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

Rule of tonnage, very simple.

That said, I do like your 'as long as they aren't being silly' addendum.

I think that right of way should go to whoever is going the fastest of the two. That way, the faster ship doesn't have to slow down.

"To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art."

"War. It's all you've ever known, isn't it? You were so young when you survived the Clone War. No wonder you're as equipped in spirit to fight as well as you do. War is, in your blood. I study the art of war, work to perfect it. But you, you were forged by it.

"Everything leading up to this moment has been rehearsal. The real performance is about to begin. I'm counting on it."

"They revealed their meager defenses. Now we will crush them."

"I'm not accepting surrenders at this time. I want you to know failure, utter defeat, and that it is I who delivers it crashing down upon you. Now. let us proceed."

1Sherman #19 Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:57 AM

Commander

• Alpha Tester

View Post10T0nHammer, on 20 November 2015 - 11:26 PM, said:

Everyone knows BBs only go straight!!! Why do you think torps are so OP!

Oh if only that were true. I would be a much happier CV pilot if it were so.

"To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art."

"War. It's all you've ever known, isn't it? You were so young when you survived the Clone War. No wonder you're as equipped in spirit to fight as well as you do. War is, in your blood. I study the art of war, work to perfect it. But you, you were forged by it.

"Everything leading up to this moment has been rehearsal. The real performance is about to begin. I'm counting on it."

"They revealed their meager defenses. Now we will crush them."

"I'm not accepting surrenders at this time. I want you to know failure, utter defeat, and that it is I who delivers it crashing down upon you. Now. let us proceed."

PcolaTy_1 #20 Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:13 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Post1Sherman, on 31 December 2015 - 06:56 PM, said:

I think that right of way should go to whoever is going the fastest of the two. That way, the faster ship doesn't have to slow down.

Actually, I think the right of way should go to whoever has low maneuverability. For example

Destroyer vs Cruiser - Cruiser has RoW

Cruiser vs Battleship - Battleship has RoW

Any ship vs carrier - carrier has RoW.

Edited by PcolaTy_1, 01 January 2016 - 01:14 AM.

"Relationship status: Wife asked me what I wanted for dinner and proceeded to tell me that I am wrong". - Some guy on Tumbler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users