Dogfighting expert on Cruisers?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Yasenpoi #1 Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:40 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I was wondering if the dogfighting expert skill would help cruiser fighters at all.  I thought it might be kind of interesting to use it on a cruiser if possible.

_Dreadnaught_ #2 Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Alpha Tester

View PostYasenpoi, on 03 August 2015 - 03:40 AM, said:

I was wondering if the dogfighting expert skill would help cruiser fighters at all.  I thought it might be kind of interesting to use it on a cruiser if possible.

Even if it can work, there are better level 3 skills to get instead.

CBT I had: Senjo/Zao, Des Moines, Montana and Yamato. BUY THE MURMANSK.

CBT WoWP, CBT WoT, Fallen Alpha WoWS, Alpha WoTG, CBT AW

Yasenpoi #3 Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

You might be right but I don't really know what to get.  I could see +20% torpedo acquisition being useful.  Damage control probably has some use, but I just buy the premium version which has decreased timer already.  I have had a few situations where a few extra seconds could help, but it rarely happens.  I have tried superintendent, but I don't think I usually need that many charges and the most important AA ability doesn't have a limit on charges.

I heard dogfighting expert makes a pretty big difference in CV vs CV, so I thought it might be interesting to see if I could use it on my fighter planes.

zzazarc #4 Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Beta Testers

If anyone actually knows if fighter "spotter" planes can benefit from this please advise, as I was actually on forum just to research this very topic, would certainly do it if it works....and don't understand the point of "better things to get for 3 points, when you can get more than one of that level with 3 more points....thanks

TabbyHopkins #5 Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:56 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

View Postzzazarc, on 09 August 2015 - 11:50 PM, said:

If anyone actually knows if fighter "spotter" planes can benefit from this please advise, as I was actually on forum just to research this very topic, would certainly do it if it works....and don't understand the point of "better things to get for 3 points, when you can get more than one of that level with 3 more points....thanks

Well, he means that if you plan to go for a tier 5 skill, as that takes a total of 15 points to get.

Top 5 favorite ships to play: 1)Arkansas Beta 2) Scharnhorst 3) Belfast 4) Senjo 5) Imperator Nikolai I (Bonus) Dunkerque

*Official Brick thrower* "I always see you everwhere asking for stuff,... You're like a hobo-ninja 0.0" - Abyssal_Flaggship

Baldassare #6 Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:54 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I am interested to know the answer to this also.

Does the comander skill 'Dogfighting Expert' improve the Catapult Fighter?

thegamefilmguruman #7 Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:34 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

I know the Air Superiority level 5 perk gives a two plane fighter flight vs just one (half an IJN sqaudron!), so I expect Dogfighting Expert would improve the fighter.

Strachwitz666 #8 Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:00 PM

Seaman

• Members

This question has never been answered, AFAICT, from googling every area and time it has been asked . Does dogfighter skill increase by 10%/lvl the DPS of CATAPULT fighters if there is tier diff. between them and enemy aircraft ?  Please I don't want to hear that there are better skills or other skills that  do or do not affect catapult fighters.

CaptGodzillaPig #9 Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

Ensign

• Members

View PostStrachwitz666, on 14 May 2017 - 04:00 AM, said:

This question has never been answered, AFAICT, from googling every area and time it has been asked . Does dogfighter skill increase by 10%/lvl the DPS of CATAPULT fighters if there is tier diff. between them and enemy aircraft ?  Please I don't want to hear that there are better skills or other skills that  do or do not affect catapult fighters.

From what I have found looking around the Wiki is that it most likely does apply, though why would you?  Even in the wiki spec builds for AA (Non CV) there is no mention of using this skill.  Catapult fighters are at best, a slight help but generally just a target.  Other fighter squadrons will chew it up and they won't even last long against rear gunners if you aren't providing AA help to them.  Considering this skill does nothing for you if your plane (not ship) is the same or lower tier and why would you waste skill points on it?   If you really have to know for sure, equip your captain with it and see what the difference is.  
Every corpse on Mt Everest used to be a highly motivated person....

Lillehuntrix #10 Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:37 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

You might be able to see a difference control-hovering over your fighter consumable in game; I doubt the difference is big enough to shift the ship's AA rating (and it is not clear whether AA ratings take fighters into account anyway).  Not that one would, but an interesting conceptual question.

(Unless...DCCA, Dogfighting expert, Superintendent-specced specialized Katori AA build for the win!)

Hurlbut #11 Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

The catapult fighter is just there to bog down fighters for the ship's AA and to panic the bombers.

TenguBlade #12 Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:59 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

Do any of of you realize you dug up a 2-year old thread...

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

awiggin #13 Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostTenguBlade, on 14 May 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

While I agree that it's bizarre that these threads get reincarnated, WG's inability to manage to forums is the problem. 

I've never seen a forum that didn't auto-close threads after a certain time frame.

Lillehuntrix #14 Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

• Members

View PostTenguBlade, on 14 May 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

Fully - that was where Strachwitz noted that "it had never been answered."  It cannot be claimed that the search function was not used!

TenguBlade #15 Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:35 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostLillehuntrix, on 14 May 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

Fully - that was where Strachwitz noted that "it had never been answered."  It cannot be claimed that the search function was not used!

Search function was used.  His brain wasn't if he thinks Dogfighting Expert is worth anything on a cruiser.  The fact that CV squads have between 4 and 7 times more planes will more than equalize any tier advantage - and in that situation the skill doesn't apply to begin with.

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

Lillehuntrix #16 Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

• Members

Right - I don't think the (new) OP was actually proposing to do it, or doubting that there are better uses even for one skill point on a cruiser.  It is an academic question: are cruiser or battleship fighter aircraft "fighters" for purposes of this skill?  Which is worth knowing simply because it is worth knowing.  But also because, if the answer is in fact no, then WG's simple addition of the word "carrier" to "fighters" in the skill description will help prevent some inexperienced cruiser player who does not visit forums or care about numbers from choosing the skill out of naivete.

Strachwitz666 #17 Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

Seaman

• Members

Look , the original question , had to run off the fact the dogfighter skill was a 3 or 5 or whatever point skill back in ancient times, now it is a one point skill. There are numerous "waits" when a commander has 2, 4-5, 7-9, points of skill, where he could have points laying around waiting to grab a higher tier skill(at 3,6,10) and has no other or better use for them. The dogfighter skill says it adds to the DPS of FIGHTERS. Many catapult FIGHTERS  were FIGHTERs with a float stuck on them, Rufe, Wild Catfish,  CAM Huricanes and Spitfires.etc. The usage of single points toward such a skill(added to the fact you can put TWO fighters with another point), is hardly now some waste, if they can, at times,  add to the AA ability/defense of a CA or BB so equipped, for a measly and unused skill  point, so be off(understanding LILHUNTRIX was defending my original point)).  The question stills stand and I am too much a rookie to know the answer, it is a yes or no question. Answering it with some sophistry , just proves you don't know. So the question still stands, and I figure somebody would know this game well enough and/or has tested or can point towards proof of  it to know the answer , yes or no? Thank for any consideration towards answering , if you can. Addenda , I necroed a thread because it is considered a faux pas to start a new thread if there is an old thread on many forums. Check out Axis History forum or combined Fleet, I have seen threads necroed from 15 years ago. Very good forums for WWII history buffs

Edited by Strachwitz666, 15 May 2017 - 01:35 PM.

Seraphil #18 Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

Captain

• Alpha Tester
  • Beta Testers

Going by the description on the skill, I'm hazarding a guess that it does NOT affect catapult fighters.

Strachwitz666 #19 Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

Seaman

• Members

View PostSeraphil, on 15 May 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

Going by the description on the skill, I'm hazarding a guess that it does NOT affect catapult fighters.

​Hard to say, depends much on POV, I guess. To me and others, looks like it may work given the wording. Seems to be an issue with many games founded where there are language differences particularly Russian and even moreso German . Even the titles go wrong . Such as "TANKI" which should be "TANKS" as an English name , but they have used a "Latin plural" ending rule "I" instead of s. Like Octopus to Octopi.  Anyway, really this is a "game rule issues" rather than just a minor translation error. The wording of the skill needs to be better. A simple addition of "carrier" to "fighters" as mentioned should be there. Since it is not , it makes the rule appear to apply to all fighters. IDK . But dang, SOMEBODY should know the mechanics of the game to affirm or negate the question.

Edited by Strachwitz666, 19 May 2017 - 04:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users