• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Quaffer #1 Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

Captain

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

MOVE_LEFT A Turn to Port 
MOVE_RIGHT D Turn to Starboard
    Release the A or the D key and the rudder will return to amid ships.

CRUISE_SPEED_UP  W W and S are your engine telegraph keys. Use to set Full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, Stop, Back commands
CRUISE_SPEED_DOWN S  

CMD_MOVE_FORWARD Undefined (formerly R) Advances speed 1 knot, this command is not available through the configuration screen and must be assigned by editing the preferences file manually
CMD_MOVE_BACK Undefined (formerly F) [edited]speed 1 knot, this command is not available through the configuration screen and must be assigned by editing the preferences file manually

CRUISE_ANGLE_RIGHT  E Hold starboard turn, press twice for hold hard starboard.
CRUISE_ANGLE_LEFT Q Hold port turn, press twice for hold hard port.
CRUISE_ANGLE_0  Undefined (formerly H) Steady so, aka rudder amid ships. The command is currently unavailable in settings.  Tap rudder keys or tap E or Q to restore midships.

SWITCH_ATBA_AIRDEFENSE                         P Toggles Secondaries on/off. The command is currently unavailable in settings.

ART_CAMERA    [Shift] Toggles zoom to full binoculars and no zoom
AHEAD_CAMERA                                       V Does not seem to function
TRACK_OBJECT_CAMERA                                         Z Camera follows currently selected flight of planes, shells on the way, torpedoes on the way; an amusing distraction.
MAP_CAMERA_MOVE [Right Mouse][Left Ctrl]  

Zoom level [Scroll Mouse Wheel]  

SHOOT [Left Mouse]  
                                                          Click fire one gun
  Double Click fire all guns that can bear on target
                                                          Click and hold fire all guns that can bear on target in ripple fire.

[Ctrl][Left Mouse] Sets priority target for secondaries and AA

CINEMATIC SHOOT  [Middle Mouse] fire one gun and shift to shell tracking camera.  Useful to establish lead required.

ACTION [Right Mouse] Overview mode. Third person view zoomed out behind ship. Moving mouse rotates camera heading. Return to previous zoomed ziew upon release.  Guns and torpedoes do not change their orientation in this mode.

These keys will switch between AP shells, HE shells and torpedoes, when switching to torpedoes you must re-acquire target lock with "X"

ARTILLERY_AMMO_0 1 Selects primaries High Explosive (detonates on impact)
ARTILLERY_AMMO_1  2 Selects primaries Armored Piercing (penetrates armor and explodes inside hull, maybe)
TORPEDOES_ANGLE 3 Selects torpedoes and Alternates between two torpedo spreads

FIXING_TARGET_POSITION X Acquires/Releases guns target lock. Turns on lead assist for torpedoes.

ABSOLUTE_GUNS_LOCK [Left Shift] X Locks guns on cursor location relative to the map.  Guns will turn to keep lock.
RELATIVE_GUNS_LOCK [Left Ctrl] X Locks guns on cursor location relative to your ship. Guns will not rotate after they have moved to this position

TACTICAL_MAP M  

AUTOPILOT FIRST WAY POINT [Left Mouse]  
AUTOPILOT Subsequent WAY POINT [Left Shift][Left Mouse] Five way points permitted. More may be added as the initial ones are used.

Aircraft Carriers    
CARRIER_SELECT 1  
SQUADRON_0 2  
SQUADRON_1 3  
SQUADRON_2 4  
SQUADRON_3 5  
SQUADRON_4 6  
SQUADRON_5 7  
SQUADRON_6 8  
SQUADRON_7 9  
SQUADRON_8 0  
LAND_LAUNCH F  
ORDER_AIRPLANES [Left Mouse]  
DESELECT_AIRPLANES [Right Mouse]  
MAP_PLANE_ORDER_MOVE [Left Mouse]  
SELECT_NEXT_AIRPLANE [Left Ctrl] [Tab]  
SELECT_ALL_AIRPLANES [Left Ctrl] A  

MAP_SHOW_PLANES [  
MAP_SHOW_DEAD ]  
MAP_RECT_ATTENTION [Left Mouse] or [Left Ctrl] [Left Mouse]  

for mini-map    

MAP_SCALE_PLUS "= or NUMPAD +  
MAP_SCALE_MINUS "- or NUMPAD -  

FREE_CURSOR [Left Ctrl]   

HELP F1 You must hold the F1 key and use your mouse to select one of the other three help screens.

GAME_STATS [Tab] Gives you a list of players and shows if they are sunk or afloat and kills in current battle
STATS [Left Ctrl] [Tab]   

ICONS [Left Alt] or [Left Alt][NumPad Enter] Alternative Battle Interface Mode. Shows player Name, Hit points, Range, Shell Travel Time as an icon above ships.  [Alt]Appears while Alt is held down. [Alt][NumPad Enter] Toggle, press enter again to cancel chat message. Can be permanently turned on in Settings Controls.

Consumables    

Consumable 1  R Damage Control Party, puts out fires, stops flooding, repairs damaged modules (but not destroyed modules)

Consumable 2 T Destroyer > Smoke   |   Battle Ship > Repair Party (restores some lost hit points ~20%)    |   Cruiser > Protective Barrage if equipped with two or more multipurpose guns

Consumable 3 Y Battle Ship, Cruiser  > Scout Plane if equipped.  Players have no control of the scout, although we used to. Grrrrr. Destroyer >  Speed Boost

Consumable 4 U  

Consumable 5 I Not implemented

HIDE INTERFACE [Left Ctrl] G Hides the Hud.  Good for fancy screen shots.

Camera position switch C Manually switch camera between main battery groups.

CENTERCAMERA [Space] Centers the camera on the carrier, when in carrier plan view.

For when you've entered spectator mode    
Next Ship [Right Mouse]  
Previous Ship [Left Mouse]  
Track Friendly Object under cursor [Space] This is fun to watch airplanes attack the enemy.
Enter Free Look Mode [Left Shift]  
Forward [Up Arrow]  
Back [Down Arrow]  
Pan Left [Left Arrow]  
Pan Right [Right Arrow]  
Change Angle Mouse  

FPS_CAMERA B  
FREE CAMERA [Back] [Right Shift] [Right Ctrl]  
FREE_CAMERA_LIFT NUMPAD 7  
FREE_CAMERA_LAND NUMPAD 9  
FREE_CAMERA_FORWARD_XZ_ALIGNED [Up Arrow]  
FREE_CAMERA_BACKWARD_XZ_ALIGNED [Down Arrow]  

CMD_REPLAY_FREE_CAMERA [Left Mouse]  
CMD_REPLAY_INCREASE_SPEED [Page Up]  
CMD_REPLAY_DECREASE_SPEED [Page Down]  
CMD_REPLAY_NORMAL_SPEED [Home]  
CMD_REPLAY_PAUSE [End]  
CMD_REPLAY_FAST_FORWARD [.]  
CMD_REPLAY_REWIND [,]  
CMD_REPLAY_FAST_FORWARD_X2 [Left Ctrl][.]  
CMD_REPLAY_REWIND_X2 [Left Ctrl][,]  

Communications Functions Audible    
CMD_QUICK_TACTIC F3 Highlight Target for Allies, found in weapons section of controls settings. This marks the enemy under your cursor with an inverted caret icon and sends the "priority target" message.
CMD_QUICK_THANK_YOU F4 Thanks. You've been swell.
CMD_QUICK_AYE_AYE F5 I understand and will comply.
CMD_QUICK_NO_WAY F6 I ain't doing that! You're being silly.
CMD_QUICK_NEED_SUPPORT F7 It would be great if you would work with me here.
CMD_QUICK_SOS F8 Help, or tell my mom I love her.
CMD_QUICK_GOOD_GAME F9 We done good.
CMD_QUICK_GOOD_LUCK F10 May the seven mad gods that rule the sea look favorably on our endeavors.
CMD_QUICK_CARAMBA F11 I am annoyed and my computer is going to attempt caustic banter.

I hope you find this useful.

You may also enjoy:

View Basics

Navigation Basics

Gunnery Basics

Torpedo Basics

Turret Focus

Weapon Bearing (Shift-X) (Ctrl-X) (X)

Help Screens

So you want to buy a new ship
Current Maps

Edited by Quaffer, 26 June 2016 - 09:58 PM.

I am under an NDA and will not comment on Super Testing.

Red_Raven_168 #2 Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:39 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Alpha Tester

thanks for the great information that new players direly seek

View PostCapnCappy, on 28 June 2016 - 08:12 AM, said:

You realize you're commenting on a thread that's older than some players?

Quaffer #3 Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:40 PM

Captain

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

WarGaming will be publishing a set of guides for beginners some time after the Independence Day holiday weekend.  This should get the tyros (brand new players) something to work with as they wait.

P.S.

They have posted the entries  You can find them here.

Edited by Quaffer, 02 July 2015 - 07:56 PM.

Fishrokk #4 Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostQuaffer, on 02 July 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

ICONS [Left Alt] or [Left Alt][NumPad Enter] Shows player Name, Hit points, Range, Shell Travel Time as an icon above ships.  [Alt]Appears while Alt is held down. [Alt][NumPad Enter] Toggle, press enter again to cancel chat message. Can be permanently turned on in Settings Controls.

For reference, this is called "Alternative Battle Interface Mode".  I've been hitting [Alt][NumPadEnter] then [Enter] (to close the chat window) by habit at the start of every game.

Now I've got the check box ticked.  (Hopefully that will work out as advertised.  Personally, I think it should be on be default.)

“OPEN FIRE WHEN READY. FEAR GOD. DREADNOUGHT.” - R Adm J Edward Snyder, USS New Jersey (BB-62)

I'm trying to expand my mind.  First I gotta do something about all these hobgoblins.

Quaffer #5 Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:53 PM

Captain

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

If you turn it on in the control settings you can't turn it off in the game.  I'm still using [Alt][NumPad Enter], [Enter].

Fishrokk #6 Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

Hmm... You might be right.  The one time I did [Alt][NumPad Enter], [Enter] in a carrier, it was a bad time until I figured out the problem.

(Hint: Never do that in a carrier!)

“OPEN FIRE WHEN READY. FEAR GOD. DREADNOUGHT.” - R Adm J Edward Snyder, USS New Jersey (BB-62)

I'm trying to expand my mind.  First I gotta do something about all these hobgoblins.

iguana832 #7 Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:28 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Thank you. Played for the first time last night and had a blast. I am looking in the forums on how to improve my gameplay and just plain old figure out this game. Refreshing to see someone taking the time to help improve the game instead of the typical WG sucks rant.

Caskie1_Actual #8 Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:13 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

Quaffer's list in printable form found within the video.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TanksForTheMammeries

Twitch.tv/tanks_for_the_mammeries

ThatSinkingFeeling #9 Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:53 PM

Seaman

• Members

Pressing 'B' for FPS Camera - does this recover from the hover view you get when selecting '3' for Torpedoes?

Quaffer #10 Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:55 PM

Captain

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

No.  You cannot zoom when your torpedoes are selected.  This is actually a good thing because the use of torpedoes requires knowledge of the situation beyond your target and aiming directly at your target with torpedoes is an excellent way to miss.  I recommend Torpedo Basics for anyone who is interested in using torpedoes or evading them.

Carrier_Taiyo #11 Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:19 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostFishrokk, on 02 July 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

Hmm... You might be right.  The one time I did [Alt][NumPad Enter], [Enter] in a carrier, it was a bad time until I figured out the problem.

(Hint: Never do that in a carrier!)

What does alt-numpad enter-enter do when in a carrier?

My name is "Carrier," but I play multiple classes.

Caskie1_Actual #12 Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostGuardianLegend, on 05 July 2015 - 02:19 AM, said:

What does alt-numpad enter-enter do when in a carrier?

https://www.youtube.com/user/TanksForTheMammeries

Twitch.tv/tanks_for_the_mammeries

LittleWhiteMouse #13 Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:25 PM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

Thank you so much, Quaffer.  I've been looking for a way to spice up the screencaps I like to take.  The freecamera controls you listed work amazingly in replays.  Here's my quick instructions:

1. When watching your replay, click the Left Mouse Button to unslave your point of view from the recorded positions you were looking during the game.
  2. Hit Right Ctrl, Right Shift and Backspace all at the same time.  This will unlock your camera from your vessel (this can be done in game too if you're not careful).

Controls are: 

• Arrow Keys to pan your camera forward and backward or to strafe left or right.
  • Mousewheel up (zoom in)
  • Mousewheel down (zoom out)
  • Number pad 7 (Numlock must be off):  increase camera height.
  • Number pad 3 (Numlock must be off):  decrease camera height (though only if you're looking down).

You can get some pretty spectacular screenshots like this.  It would also work well for making some cinematic short films.

US attack craft are blown apart from the combined AAA from a Queen Elizabeth Class Battleship, two Cleveland Class Cruisers and a Hiryu Class Carrier.

Taken from the replay from this post.

From the same game.  With the controls, you can bring the camera right down to the water's surface (or beneath!).  You can also use the zoom feature to give the illusion of playing with the depth of field.

Tokamak_Raven #14 Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:39 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Is there any way to rebind the "P" key for toggling secondaries on or off?

Quaffer #15 Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:32 AM

Captain

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

They have not provided it as a control you have access to in settings.  See: Help Screens Patch 0.4.0 and Default Settings.

If you are willing to go through the back door you can make a copy of your preferences file. Then edit the preferences file to include CMD _SWITCH_ATBA_AIRDEFENSE and your desired key.  This works best if you have already changed at least one of your control settings from the default. The game will have then added the key assignment code to the preference file.

<keyboardControl>                 
      <CMD _SWITCH_ATBA_AIRDEFENSE>           
            <keyCode>     KEY_P     </keyCode>
       </CMD _SWITCH_ATBA_AIRDEFENSE>     
</keyboardControl>

Substitute whatever you want for KEY_P  e.g. KEY_N to have N be the toggle.

If it messes up your game, delete the preferences file and restore the backup. If you forgot to make a backup the game will make a new one with the defaults settings.

Don't bother asking about the C key that switches your gun turret camera from turret to turret.  That one is hard coded.

jjdanois #16 Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

NOTE!!! Look at Quaffer post right after this one. He recommends using the preferences file for key mappings and his way is correct and much better. I have left the text of my post intact for information purposes but DO refer to his post for the proper way to edit hotkeys!

In case this hasn't been mentioned:

Location of your preferences (does NOT include key mappings): C:\Games\World_of_Warships\preferences.xml

Location of key mappings: C:\Games\World_of_Warships\res\command_mapping_config.xml

If you edit this files, make sure you use an editor that only does straight text, i.e. no formatting. For these kinds of purposes, I suggest you download the very good free editor Notepad++. Under no circumstances can you use an editor that does formatting, such as WordPad or Word.

The key mappings work roughly as follows. It maps a key (or key combo) to a command. Then, elsewhere in the same file, it maps that command to an in-game function. Examples:

<CMD_HIDE_INTERFACE
                keyCode="KEY_G KEY_LCONTROL" />
        <CMD_FREE_CAMERA
                keyCode="KEY_BACKSPACE KEY_RSHIFT KEY_RCONTROL" />
        <CMD_TACTICAL_MAP
                keyCode="KEY_M" />

In that snippet we can see that the command to hide the interface is assigned to CTRL-G, the free camera to Right Shift + Right Control + Backspace, and the map command is on the M key. Elsewhere in the same file we find the following:

<hotkey
                    name="IDS_HIDE_INTERFACE"
                    command="CMD_HIDE_INTERFACE" />
            <!--<hotkey
                    name="IDS_FREE_CAMERA"
                    command="CMD_FREE_CAMERA" />-->

<hotkey
                    name="IDS_TACTICAL_MAP"
                    command="CMD_TACTICAL_MAP" />

Here we see the commands (bound to keys) getting bound to in-game function (the labels starting with IDS). Notice the section that starts with <!-- and end with -->. This is a comment section. Basically, anything in between <!-- and --> will be ignored. So, according to this, the free camera has been disabled. You could, potentially, re-enable it by simply deleting the <!-- and --> and it should be working again. However, I have not tried this, so I don't know. Maybe they disabled it because something was wrong with. Who knows? Try it, if you like. If you change your mind, you can always add the <!-- and --> back in the file.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, make a backup copy of the original file before you edit it. In case something goes wrong or you can't remember what changes you made or whatnot. Just copy the backup right back and all should be well again.

Hope this helps,

Julian

Edited by jjdanois, 26 July 2015 - 06:13 PM.

Quaffer #17 Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:18 PM

Captain

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

Actually if you make any key assignment changes through the settings menu your C:\Games\World_of_Warships\preferences.xml will contain the changes.  Your comment about backing up your files is a very good idea.

I discourage making changes to the C:\Games\World_of_Warships\res\command_mapping_config.xml.  Any changes you make here will become the default keys when you go to settings and ask for the default.  If you mess it up and you don't have a good back up you may need to reinstall. Remember when you suggest things, that there will always be some part of the population that will not get things right on the first try.  We should strive to keep things as forgiving as we can for the ham fisted among us.

If you mess up your preference file you can always delete it and start over with just a little time and effort lost.

The command structure in the preference file has three parts.  If they are not all included odd things will happen in the game.

<CMD _SWITCH_ATBA_AIRDEFENSE>           Call for command change in this case toggle secondaries/AA
            <keyCode>     KEY_P     </keyCode>         Assign key for command  in this case P.
       </CMD _SWITCH_ATBA_AIRDEFENSE>         Close call for command change note the / before CMD_... this tells the program you're finishing the request.

Jjtt0105 #18 Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:39 PM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

thx for the guide

mrpape #19 Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:37 AM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

How do you go back to normal AA and/or Secondary priority default?

IE...You select a primary AA or Secondary Battery target (Ctrl+left mouse button), but how do you release and go back to multi target?

Also, the last use of the ALT key is perhaps the least well known, but absolutely lethal when used correctly. Torpedoes are equipped with two salvo firing modes that are displayed on your HUD from the beginning, using the 3 button by default to switch between them. While the narrow spread or wide spread work most of the time, there are a few times that the narrow isn't narrow enough or wide quite as sweeping as you need. Using ALT unlocks a third mode: individual torpedo launches. Using the ALT key allows a player to snipe the Torpedoes with greater precision, or flood a lane with bubbling doom, but I have not been able to figure this out yet.

Thanks

MrP

Edited by mrpape, 24 August 2015 - 12:40 AM.

Swarmers #20 Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:15 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

For those interested in finding out the internal command name quickly, the attached file may be of use.  I got tired of looking up key names and created a this for my own use but I see others have the same interest.  The start of this document has a list of ship names and their types. 

Attached Files

• Attached File   World of Warships tables.pdf   62.9K

Also tagged with Guide, Keyboard

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users