Introduction to Aiming

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Red_Raven_168 #1 Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:44 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Alpha Tester

This guide came about from trying to coach a family member in the basic concepts of aiming/gunnery used in this game.

First thing you may notice is that I use a crosshair mod because I find the one supplied by the game to be hopelessly inadequate. This mod package has several crosshair mods so you should be able to find one to your liking. The one that I am using is an older version by Hooterez.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/25508-mod031-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview-v036-16062015/

Above is a cruiser that is not targeted.

This is a destroyer that is targeted. Notice the white circle around the red destroyer symbol. This white symbol is sometimes referred to as the Celtic Cross. It designates the target that your plotting room is actually taking note of. Alternately it is the target that you are locked onto by range also known as target lock. Of note, you cannot lock onto a ship unless it is within your gun's range. Your gun's range is signified by a dotted circle drawn around your ship on the mini-map.

You establish target lock by aiming directly at the ship for a couple seconds or by aiming at it and typing X.

For a little more information, notice the trail of smoke coming from its smokestacks. They can actually tell you what direction the ship is moving and with experience you can get a feeling for how fast the ship is moving too.

Hint -> zoom in to target by hitting the shift key. For more fun, scroll the mouse button to get an even closer view.

This is the mini-map. It is normally located at the lower right corner of your screen. In this image you will notice gunnery range as signified by the dotted circle in the upper left corner of the mini-map. You may also notice a grey cone emanating from the ship. This is the view range. Anything you can actually see will be inside this grey cone.

In this image a destroyer is targeted and notice my aiming point (the yellow marker on the far right). The ship is relatively close, but there is insufficient lead so the shells are falling behind it. Notice the splash and yellow tracers going to the far left. This means I should move my aiming point to the right, approximate 6 numbered ticks on my aiming bar. Did you notice the numbers on this particular aiming crosshair? For now aim for the center of the ship. With practice you will be intending your shots to fall under the smokestacks or other designated critical areas.

In this image, notice the shot (the orange glow) is below the ship and ahead of it. I need to adjust my aim at least 3 numbers to the left and up!! Try to get the long/horizontal bar from the crosshair on the waterline of your target. Later you can aim higher or lower as experience dictates. The short form of this recommendation is . . . if the shot falls short, raise the targeting mark.

Here we see the shot going well beyond the target . . . lower the crosshair. (yes there's also too much lead, but needed extra lead for the image)

This is a nicely complex image. The targeted ship is the one on the left. Notice the Celtic Cross. Also notice that ship is moving to the left but I targeted far to the right. You guessed it. Shot behind the ship and far too low.

The last part that's harder to show in images is . . . a turning target will require more lead if it is turning towards being parallel to you and less lead if turning towards being perpendicular to you.

With time and practice you can land even your first volley on target. Have patience. Practice every day, even if its only 1 or 2 battles. Somehow your subconscious will process the information and you will improve.

For Advanced Aiming/Where to Shoot, consider this excellent guide http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/32522-tedsters-updated-and-expanded-where-to-shoot-guide/

View PostCapnCappy, on 28 June 2016 - 08:12 AM, said:

You realize you're commenting on a thread that's older than some players?

Sirus_Patton #2 Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:16 AM

Commander

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters

Rather nice guide, good writing.

If I post it, it's speculation or general knowledge.  Look elsewhere for your NDA information.

Jjtt0105 #3 Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:51 AM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

nice guide

leova #4 Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:23 AM

Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

As somebody with 0 experience in this game, having just bought it yesterday, this looks incredibly helpful

Hantz #5 Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:30 AM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

Awesome guide for anyone that is new or needs a refresher  ;)

thehumanslayer12 #6 Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

+1
System Specs

Mottlee4 #7 Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:56 AM

Seaman

• Alpha Tester

Well done, I did not know there were mod's for this already, Is there some place for them?

Red_Raven_168 #8 Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:13 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Alpha Tester

View PostMottlee4, on 27 June 2015 - 09:56 PM, said:

Well done, I did not know there were mod's for this already, Is there some place for them?

most mods go into the res_mods folder

Caskie1_Actual #9 Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:21 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

HI All,

Red's guide is one of the better ones.  I also highly recommend Aslains Mod package.  It's easy to use and you don't have to know any programming to install it.   Just go to www.aslain.com and look for the World of Warships Mod Pack.  Click the link to download it, and you'll get an interface from which you can choose exactly what mods you want for the game.  There is even a helpful preview screen for each mod that lets you see exactly what you're picking.  MAKE SURE YOU DONATE TO ASLAIN - HE DOES ALL OF THIS OFF DONATIONS.   There are no "cheat" mods on his site and no viruses.  Download with confidence.   Once you choose all the mods you want, click install and it's all done for you.  Voila! 

https://www.youtube.com/user/TanksForTheMammeries

Twitch.tv/tanks_for_the_mammeries

Caskie1_Actual #10 Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:33 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

Here's a video about the mods:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TanksForTheMammeries

Twitch.tv/tanks_for_the_mammeries

Kemosabe58 #11 Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

Seaman

• Members

Bravo Zulu!!

TPete0352 #12 Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:06 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Great guide and very informative 

Fog_Battleship_Poltava #13 Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:17 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Thanks for the great guide.

___TWIGGY___ #14 Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:40 PM

Seaman

• Members

Nice guide.  I look forward to playing the game some more once they decide to implement an invert mouse y-axis feature.

Red_Raven_168 #15 Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:11 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Alpha Tester

View Post___TWIGGY___, on 13 July 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

Nice guide.  I look forward to playing the game some more once they decide to implement an invert mouse y-axis feature.

invert is on their "to-do" list, but no known eta.

RainbowDash007 #16 Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:56 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Alpha Tester

wow thank you for the great advice

Always ready to make friends using the strongest weapons in the galaxy

The_Calgarian #17 Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:21 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

great advice,  taught me something

I used to play Sea Hunt on Colecovision                                              

KSN #18 Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

WarGaming really needs to check things before they go doing a Community Spotlight.

I don't mind someone earning money from their hard work by way of 3rd party ad/software... but OMG - not only is this hosted on a terrible download site, but the downloader set off my anti-virus like the 4th of July (lots of Red).

I'm not making any accusations, but ... just wow.  The community effort is appreciated, but the WOWS Mod pack is ummm ... suspect imo.

Downloading the mod package via the linked downloader was a HUGE mistake -- so if you're not a 'power user', or under 20 - may be best not to mess with the mod pack tbqh *shrug.

And if you decide to download it anyway... enjoy all the new Adware on your Computer, EVEN if you decline every single offer pushed to you that looks like part of the actual mod download process. There were 5 Adware programs on my computer, even though I carefully declined everything... shame really; The community needs good crosshair mods.

Edited by KSN, 22 July 2015 - 04:38 PM.

KiloSierra - November

Guten Tag! Ach wie ich liebe dieses Schiff!!

~ Brechen Zitadellen, ausweichend Torpedos und Spreng Zerstörer ~

Red_Raven_168 #19 Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Alpha Tester

View PostKSN, on 22 July 2015 - 09:28 AM, said:

yadda yadda yadda

what are you talking about

this isn't a download

if you are talking about looking for a crosshair - that's a different thread

Edited by Red_Raven_168, 22 July 2015 - 07:56 PM.

KSN #20 Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostRed_Raven_168, on 22 July 2015 - 05:10 PM, said:

what are you talking about

this isn't a download

if you are talking about looking for a crosshair - that's a different thread

You posted this link http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/25508-mod031-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview-v036-16062015/ in you original post... so it's valid, in light of the community spotlight of your commendable effort, to mention the 'what happens when...' regarding the download in the other thread via that link.

Otherwise you should delete the link reference.

KiloSierra - November

Guten Tag! Ach wie ich liebe dieses Schiff!!

~ Brechen Zitadellen, ausweichend Torpedos und Spreng Zerstörer ~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users