How to Carrier.

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Noctikz #41 Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:51 PM

Seaman

• Members

Thank god for this guide as I had no idea what I was doing (thank god I was also in a Coop game lol)

Carrier_Furious #42 Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:47 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

View PostCaptain_Dread, on 09 October 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

Thanks for the clarification.  I have noticed the increase spread with fighters attacking.  And I don't think the ships that I am attacking are high enough tier to have the AA burst yet, so it must be the difference in nation technology.  Bummer.

If I'm not mistaken, WG will later change the spread to where it starts off wide but narrows itself out the further it goes, or vice versa. 

Carrier_Furious #43 Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:48 PM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

View PostNoctikz, on 11 October 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

Thank god for this guide as I had no idea what I was doing (thank god I was also in a Coop game lol)

Glad I could help, if you have any question, please feel free to ask.

JezzyGirl #44 Posted 16 October 2015 - 01:46 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I have the Langley and the Independence. I do better with the Langley and thanks to your guide I think I'll start doing better with the Indy. I play in the minimap mode, is that the best way to play?

Carrier_Furious #45 Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:34 AM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

View PostJezzyGirl, on 15 October 2015 - 07:46 PM, said:

I have the Langley and the Independence. I do better with the Langley and thanks to your guide I think I'll start doing better with the Indy. I play in the minimap mode, is that the best way to play?

I don't play all that much anymore, so I can't really tell you whats the right way to play. Top down view or mini map view both work. Develop your own play style and do what you do best. 

Edited by Carrier_Furious, 16 October 2015 - 04:35 AM.

Fishrokk #46 Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

F.

For respect, not to land my planes.  Nice guide, good job on keeping it up.

“OPEN FIRE WHEN READY. FEAR GOD. DREADNOUGHT.” - R Adm J Edward Snyder, USS New Jersey (BB-62)

I'm trying to expand my mind.  First I gotta do something about all these hobgoblins.

Hanz_Gooblemienhoffen_42 #47 Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:05 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Dont even play CVs but this is a good guide...and thanks OP for taking the time to write it up...!  +1

ortonmc #48 Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:58 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I'm a CV newbie. I'm getting the hang of the controls (thanks to this Guide!) but there are a couple of things that I haven't figured out, and haven't found answers in the forum.

1. How can you tell when your aircraft are low or out of ammo?

2. As I understand it, the carrier has a reserve of planes so if a couple of planes in a squadron are destroyed, they are replaced from the reserve. How can you tell how many planes there are in the reserve? (Or am I completely misunderstanding how it works?)

Thanks

Jonny_Recon #49 Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:43 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Beta Testers

Excellent guide, thank you for posting this.

tremor3258 #50 Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Good guide - should note dive bomber manual drop became much tighter and more useful, at least IJN side, after 5.1, so there are more benefits to not fire and forgetting, while hoping the RNG would help out.

Hurlbut #51 Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

This need a nice update. Fighters' Barrage which make grouping squadrons disadvantageous. The drops adjustment and such.

Edited by Hurlbut, 31 December 2015 - 04:18 PM.

Cruiser_Gneisenau #52 Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

How to carrier:

A) Do not research carriers.

B) Enjoy life.

FKKarpeDiem #53 Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:37 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostCarrier_Furious, on 07 October 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

Then chances are RNG is just not on your side. Don't ever engage enemy planes over enemy AA fire, unless it is to open a path for your bombers. 

There are some higher tier ships you only want to engage while they are alone and not covered with AA from another ship. Dont fly over them either. At the lower levels, AA is almost negligible. At the upper end, it can be very damaging if you are not paying attention. I also park my planes, either early in the battle, or as they are waiting to be assigned some work, over some island near the middle of the board.It saves them from enduring non-essential ship AA fire as they wait. 

Those CVs with the 1-1-1 are great overall CVs. Those with the 0-2-1 are gonna have their planes shot down soon. Those with the 2-0-1 arrangement are defenders only. The negligible damage from bombers are sometime openly mocked in the chat. I will engage any fighter group out there so i can have my TBs create real damage. Facing a 2-0-1 group almost ends up as an rngesus clash. It all depends on who shoots down the fighters on who wins between the teams. I agree with the OP, dont shoot down the last fighter, make them return to base.

Edited by DKW_86, 24 January 2016 - 12:42 AM.

Carrier_Furious #54 Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:20 AM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

View PostHurlbut, on 31 December 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

This need a nice update. Fighters' Barrage which make grouping squadrons disadvantageous. The drops adjustment and such.

I haven't been on all that much. school and other games getting in the way. Then there's the fact that this is the only game that makes me get violent.

I will probably update some time in the future when i have the time to play the game.

Yes, I know this is a late reply.

Carrier_Furious #55 Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:23 AM

Ensign

• Beta Testers

Also if you guys have nothing productive to say then don't comment on this guide.

This is a guide to help new carrier players, I don't want to hear "Don't play carriers"

Casas5591 #56 Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:56 AM

Seaman

• Members

Do you have any intermediate/advance advice for CV's?

In particular:

How do you position your planes initial early game to late game?

Should I group up my TB squads or split them up with a fighter squad middle zone to screen or is the "safety in numbers approach" better?

What should my strategy be in asserting air control and how do I accomplish that, tactically?

How do I CV as a bottom fish?

How many torpedo strikes should I be averaging in tier 5?

Any more helpful CV threads that you redirect me to for further knowledge?

Thank you for making this thread ^_^

Edit: For reference, I'm in my Zuiho

Edited by Casas5591, 25 February 2016 - 03:00 AM.

NeoSolstice #57 Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:29 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Alpha Tester

I could answer this in Furious' stead for now. With Zuiho as reference, I'll answer your questions.

Question 1

How do you position your planes initial early game to late game?

Regardless of tier, reconnaissance is essential. Throughout the game, fighters (and optionally dive bombers) should be used and deployed as forward scouts, either adjacent to friendly DDs, ahead of them, or in locations that are completely in the dark. But don't fly them out too far in case of enemy bombers. In the end, they are not pure reconnaissance planes, they're fighters, necessary to take down enemy air strikes. When positioning bombers, they should/could be held back in reserves in the air until you find a suitable (least dangerous) path for your strike aircrafts. The other option is to adjust the flight patterns of your bombers manually as they fly towards your enemies.

Question 2

Should I group up my TB squads or split them up with a fighter squad middle zone to screen or is the "safety in numbers approach" better?

Against strike configurations, you could hold your bomber formations tightly without issue, especially against USN CVs. But as long as they have one fighter squadron in the field, try to spread out your bombers to avoid strafing runs on your strike aircraft. Moving your planes against air superiority configurations are much harder, but the concept is the same. Try to spread your squadrons out a little bit to avoid strafing runs. The reference carrier is Zuiho after all. As soft as her fighters are, they can be used to delay or bog down 1 fighter squadron if they're after your bombers when you make your attack. So make sure the strike counts.

Question 3

What should my strategy be in asserting air control and how do I accomplish that, tactically?

If they're an air superiority carrier, typically a Bogue at that tier, establishing an air space for a bombing strike is a hefty task, let alone asserting control of the skies. Because  of this, you had to play what I call a "cat-and-mouse" game, using diversionary tactics to lure away their fighters while you move bomber in for an attack. It's very hard to explain this because everyone has their own style doing this - some daring, some overly cautious - but it's good to find a good middle ground. Keeping your bombing frequency high increases your team's chances of a win. Against a different configuration, game play are much looser as fighters are less prevalent. At this stage, try to maximise bomber kills, while keeping your fighters healthy. If they target any of your planes, just have them go on a wild goose chase. You have more than one squadron doing damage after all.

Question 4

How do I CV as a bottom fish?

If in a 4-CV match, assist/coordinate your planes with your friendly CV. It'll bolster you team's overall strike capabilities and air defenses if they have fighters. But generally at that tier, AA should not be too significant to warrent any changes in play style, with the execption of American AA crusiers like the Cleveland.

Question 5

How many torpedo strikes should I be averaging in tier 5

Hm...ideally, you want to be striking throughout the entire game. In 20 minutes and taking account of obstacles, 4-6? To be honest, I don't really count this so, I don't really know, lol.

Now, best luck on your endevours with Zuiho and have fun!

Welcome to the WoWS forums, feel free to browse around! A good source for any unanswered questions and meeting others.

And yes, you can call me Neo for short! :3

Sakuzhi #58 Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:17 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

Block Quote

radious

I know the post on this is old but

There's no 'o' in radius or radii.

Block Quote

Hm...ideally, you want to be striking throughout the entire game. In 20 minutes and taking account of obstacles, 4-6? To be honest, I don't really count this so, I don't really know, lol.

With the Zuiho, think of it on a per-trip basis. You want to hit at least 1 Torpedo per TB group you send out (so for your strike group you should average 2 hits per go)

Ideally? You want to get 3-5 hits per trip, which isn't terribly hard on BBs/CVs, and some cruisers.

Edited by Sakuzhi, 25 February 2016 - 02:19 PM.

• Mostly plays battleships and is excellent in them (warships.today)

Floyd_Kershner #59 Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:43 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

As the originator of this topic I want to thank everyone who has contributed. I still enjoy CVs but find them the absolute hardest ship to Captain in the game. You are very dependent on your teammates. If they don't do a good job of keep that sneaky DD from the rear there is not much you can do. I like playing the Langley since most of the similar tier ships have awful AA. As of release 2.3 I believe they have buffed the Japanese CVs. I used to always win a Dogfight between Langley fighters and Jap fighters. Now I often loose. And it is more painful since I have fewer fighters. I have stopped upgrading past the Tier 6 CVs. Just too hard to micro manage everything and the AA is so much better. my personal best is to sink 2 BBs in 1 battle.

I would like to hear from others regarding strafing. I have not be able to do it well. what is the range? how do you set up for it?

NeoSolstice #60 Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Alpha Tester

View PostSakuzhi, on 25 February 2016 - 06:17 AM, said:

With the Zuiho, think of it on a per-trip basis. You want to hit at least 1 Torpedo per TB group you send out (so for your strike group you should average 2 hits per go)

Ideally? You want to get 3-5 hits per trip, which isn't terribly hard on BBs/CVs, and some cruisers.

I think it was implied how many times Zuiho can attack with torpedo planes (trips) at that tier,  not how many hits?

As for strafes, they are generally set up using the alt key. Similar to manual drops with torpedo planes, except with fighters. And instead of targetting ships you're attacking planes. There are auto targeting like bomb or torpedo drops, however, those are just regular select and attack.

The range of the strafing run is dependent on the amount of ammunition left with your fighters. Less ammo,  shorter range. Norte that it generally uses up around 2 bars per strafing run.

Welcome to the WoWS forums, feel free to browse around! A good source for any unanswered questions and meeting others.

And yes, you can call me Neo for short! :3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users