How to Carrier.

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

sam2010 #81 Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:43 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Beta Testers

Question, whats controls you have to push in order to bring the CV back into ground view, still learning the ropes in CV training. 

Quaffer #82 Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:09 PM

Captain

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester

Carrier Plan View

The Plan view for carriers is a top down view that can be zoomed and panned around the map. It is the default view for carriers.  Note the grey rectangle on the minimap depicting the current field of view. You can also see the current waypoints and the attack setup for the selected flight.  Once you have chosen the target for the flight with the Left Mouse Button [LMB] you can grab the attack vector indicator on the circle and drag it to any bearing you desire.  Torpedo bombers usually do better with a flank attack while dive bombers do better attackng down the axis of the ship; or so I have been told. Note the attack plan is shown in the minimap as well.

Center View on Carrier

The control section identifies this as "Bring View Back to Ship". It is the last selection in the controls settings menu. Many patches ago all ships could press shift and pan a top down view anywhere on the map and spin the camera in any direction.  That has gone away for all classes but carriers.  Still, for carriers is is very handy to be able to center the top down view on their ship in order to navigate the vessel or see what is threatening them.  Pressing [Space] brings the view back to the carrier.

For other view techniques have a look at View Basics.

I am under an NDA and will not comment on Super Testing.

Bill_Halsey #83 Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

The other option for ship maneuvering:

1. Go to map mode

2. Hit "1" for the carrier

3. Press "z"

It gives you what would be normal view for other ships. I agree it's clunky. But useful if you will have to ram someone.

rackerrich #84 Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:40 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Howdy....great tutorial on carriers. I just started playing them, and I am getting the hang pretty well except for one thing. I cannot do manual anything. I can't do strafing, and I can't do manual torpedo drops. I unchecked the Alternative Controls feature with no luck. (The only difference seems to be which mouse button you click.)

I checked the Warships wiki on the main game site, and it tells you all about the Alt key. I've tried holding down Alt and clicking and clicking-dragging on just about anything in sight. I'm also wondering if it has to do with the current version, 0.6.3.

So what else should I be checking or trying? 

Thanks!

rackerrich #85 Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:50 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Well, as seems to happen all the time, I found an answer to my previous question. Indeed, manual targeting was removed from T4 and T5 carriers in the latest release. 

BaronVonTom #86 Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:20 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

What a great job he did putting this together.  I wish the training videos were like this.  A basic, intermediate and advanced video for carriers.  That's what is REALLY needed.  I do dis-agree with you on one thing.  You say not to manual drop torps on destroyers.  It should read; do not attempt to manual drop torps on destroyers until you get good at manual drops.  A good captain has the confidence to do a manual drop on dd's and most times will get the kill.  Also....you can add one thing....a manual drop into smoke when you know there is a ship or ships in the smoke usually results in torp hits.  Bottom line is....you have to learn the skills of manual dropping, including cross drops.  That includes with dive bombers as you will hit 3 or 4 bombs on a manual drop compared to one or two with auto drop, sometimes none on a auto drop.   I recommend using co-op to practice manual drops until you get the hang of it.  The dive bomber manual drops are a ton harder to master than the manual torp drops(my opinion).  Additionally, conducting manual torp drops at an angle (stern to bow angle...maybe 45 degrees or less) increases multiple torp hits because most peeps turn into the torpedos to try to avoid them.  With the angle they turn right into 3 of them, sometimes 4 of them.  (something I learned from the great fem...and something that is easier said than done as I am still playing with this).   Finally, if you want to see a real pro at work with a carrier, go over to twitch and watch fem when she is on....usually 10:30 am to 4  pm monday through Friday  (pacific time I think).  You will certainly see some amazing things watching her play a jap cv.  She is also one of a few cv captains on here that can actually carry a team to victory in a cv, even when behind in score or ships.  She is also working on some videos for youtube.  Thanks again for your write up....well done.

WolfmanJack99 #87 Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostBill_Halsey, on 01 January 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

The other option for ship maneuvering:

1. Go to map mode

2. Hit "1" for the carrier

3. Press "z"

It gives you what would be normal view for other ships. I agree it's clunky. But useful if you will have to ram someone.

...or dodge incoming torpedoes.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved."
-Sun Tzu

light.png

http://na.warshipstoday.com/signature/1003540199/light.png

LadyJess #88 Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

Ensign

• Members

Overall a decent basic guide. Where i find all CV guides lacking is the explanation of the actual manual torp attacks. Everyone just mentions pressing the ALT key to attack. There is more to this than is actually explained here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users