Standard-type Battleship

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

thehelmsman #21 Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

Seaman

• Members
I love the Standards, as well as their New York-class predecessors. Magnificent fighting ships, all. They were remarkably ahead of their time in design and construction, but unfortunately even the far-sightedness of the Standard concept could not redeem them from the rise of naval air power.

Even more unfortunate, none of them survive. In fact, the world's only remaining pre-40s battleship is one of the New Yorks: USS Texas, BB-35, the last of the dreadnoughts.

Posted Image

--Helms

Tricericon #22 Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Postthehelmsman, on 05 April 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

I love the Standards, as well as their New York-class predecessors. Magnificent fighting ships, all. They were remarkably ahead of their time in design and construction, but unfortunately even the far-sightedness of the Standard concept could not redeem them from the rise of naval air power.

Even more unfortunate, none of them survive. In fact, the world's only remaining pre-40s battleship is one of the New Yorks: USS Texas, BB-35, the last of the dreadnoughts.

--Helms

Mikasa would like a word.

I am aware that my normal typing style can come across as rude on the internet. However, rest assured that no offense is intended.

Windhover118 #23 Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Captain

• Alpha Tester

View PostTricericon, on 05 April 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

Mikasa would like a word.

Make that, last of the US Dreadnoughts.
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
-John Paul Jones

ATCVenom #24 Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:12 AM

Petty Officer

• Members
Man..... the solidarity of the modernized 'standard' US battleships never ceasea to impress me.  Although I'm sure I'm wrong with this assessment, it really does seem like these particular battleships coulda gone toe to toe with some of the best BB's afloat come the end of the war -  particularly at close range.

Edited by ATCVenom, 20 April 2013 - 05:12 AM.

Daltron #25 Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:47 AM

Warrant Officer

• Alpha Tester
I love the standards. It's like Jean Claude Van Damme: he's epic when he's younger, and he may start looking older as he ages, but he can still pack a huge punch.

That's what I love about these. They can lay the hurt down on anyone, even to the end of the war. If only they had a faster speed, they'd rival even the Iowas, in my mind.

In my opinion, I'd take any pre-war battleship over a 'fast battleship' any day of the week.

Getting the most out of your drakmas since 1914
Greetings, friend. I'm Dalton Neal, CEO of D.S.R.. You might know us as a vital participant of the 1921 senate hearing on the limitations of the Washington Naval Treaty, and you've most likely used one of the many products we invented but other people have somehow managed to steal from us. Bethlehem Steel can eat my bankrupt...

Kukailimoku50 #26 Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

Seaman

• Members
IMHO the USS Texas was the most badass of all US battleships built. No other US battleships could say that at the time it was commissioned that it was the most pwerful battleship in the world......although her reign at the top was very short because not long after the Brits launched the Queen Elizabeths. The Texas was also one of the very first shp designs to recognize the potential threat of aircraft against warships incorporating a suite of AA batteries into it's design

Daltron #27 Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Alpha Tester

View PostKukailimoku50, on 22 April 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

IMHO the USS Texas was the most badass of all US battleships built. No other US battleships could say that at the time it was commissioned that it was the most pwerful battleship in the world......although her reign at the top was very short because not long after the Brits launched the Queen Elizabeths. The Texas was also one of the very first shp designs to recognize the potential threat of aircraft against warships incorporating a suite of AA batteries into it's design

Nevada's were lauded as the best at their launching, and then after that the Pennsylvania's. Besides, even the Dreadnought had some form of AA capabilities.

Getting the most out of your drakmas since 1914
Greetings, friend. I'm Dalton Neal, CEO of D.S.R.. You might know us as a vital participant of the 1921 senate hearing on the limitations of the Washington Naval Treaty, and you've most likely used one of the many products we invented but other people have somehow managed to steal from us. Bethlehem Steel can eat my bankrupt...

Scootaloo23 #28 Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:39 AM

Commander

• Alpha Tester

View PostDaltron, on 22 April 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Nevada's were lauded as the best at their launching, and then after that the Pennsylvania's. Besides, even the Dreadnought had some form of AA capabilities.

By that standard though, every ship which could point its guns upwards had AA defense. In fact, the first flak came about when soldiers decided they would start shooting back at the plane strafing them, with everything from Rifles, to Machine guns, and often mortars and artillery. Needless to say, just throwing up a bunch of junk in the hopes they would hit something didn't work so great, especially as aircraft got faster and hit harder. By the end of the war we start seeing the first attempts at dedicated AA guns, yadadadada.

TL;DR, Planes got annoying, we started shooting at them. There fore, anything can be considered to have potential AA defense.
Future Captain of the Alaska class battlecruiser USS Samoa CB-6.
"I will not abandon ship as long as a single gun can fire."-Julian F. Bectan

ravenwolf68 #29 Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

Petty Officer

• Members
I think the New Mexico and her sisters were sexier because of her clipper bow :glasses:

View PostJagdzeit, on 07 February 2013 - 01:01 AM, said:

the tennesee is such a sexy ship