Jump to content


River's Guide to 'Git Gud'

Guide Suggestions Improving Balance Somewhat dubious I need sleep.

  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

RivertheRoyal #1 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

    Captain

  • Members

  • 4,679
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

Hello everyone. 

 

Odds are, you've seen the term 'Git Gud' before.

Maybe you've used it yourself (Or a variation thereof), or had something similar parroted at you in the past when making a post on the forums, or saying something in-game. 

 

So, what does it mean? What should you take away from it? 

 


The (kinda) start of it all:

 

Once, there was a game. It was called Dark Souls

 

Okay, so the term 'Git Gud' did not originate from Dark Souls, as is commonly assumed.  

 

It is, however, very much a part of that particular game's mentality, and as such the community of Dark Souls adopted 'Git Gud' for themselves. It stars in numerous memes and stories involving Dark Souls, and has become somewhat infamous among their circles.

I guess before explaining 'Git Gud', I should talk a bit about Dark Souls itself, as a game. You know, since I'm sure there are some who haven't heard of it, nor know of it's reputation.

 

So then, Dark Souls. 

 

It's a bloody difficult game where you almost spend more time dying than playing. Someone going through the game gets very used to those crimson words scrawled across the screen's middle, in a mockery of your pathetic attempt to 'beat' Dark Souls.  

 

It's a genuinely and unapologetically hard game to play through. 

The mobs are difficult. 

The plants will kill you. 

The bosses will crush your ego. 

Hell, even the chests full of loot will occasionally try and murder you viciously.

 

 

Lots of people who play Dark Souls do it for the challenge, and the fulfillment of processing in a difficult game. It requires a lot from you, in dedication and patience. There is no 'easy' way to the finish line, and no ways to artificially lower the difficulty. (It actually get's harder the more you play through it.)  

 

To beat the game, you have to 'Git Gud', as the players would say.

 

So then, that brings us back the the original question.

What is 'Git Gud'?  

 


What does it mean!?:

 

Speaking simply, it's just a bad way of spelling 'Get Good', meant somewhat as a mockery towards whomever the phrase might be directed. Typically, it's used in response to specific types of people and/or comments. 

 

And...er...we're rather well aquatinted with the types of comments that might inspire the 'Git Gud' retort. 

How about an example or two? (Or seven...)

 

"____ class is OP, and needs nerfing!"

"____ class is UP, and needs buffing!" 

"____ class needs to be added!" 

"____ mechanic sucks, and needs to be removed!" 

"____ mechanic need to be added!" 

"MM is broken, and sucks!"

"The game hates me in particular!" 

 

By no means am I limiting the 'Git Gud' inducing comments to only these—no, there are far, far more that have been passed around these forums, and dismissed. 

 

So then, what does it mean when you write a thread about one of the above issues (or anything else) and someone responds with a 'Git Gud' like comment? What should you take it as? 

Well, simply—it normally means that you should probably look at your own performance in game, and see if perhaps there might be something that you can improve on. At least, that's what it's meant as towards those who complain of game balance and fairness in things like Dark Souls, and Call of Duty (*shivers*). 

 

However, my own interpretation of getting good is somewhat different. 

 

 


My own opinion:

 

Okay, so look—I don't like the term 'Git Gud', at all. 

It's just not a very helpful answer to someone asking or suggesting something. 

 

I do agree with the sentiment behind getting good, though. 

A player should always strive to better themselves and their gameplay. Even if they're just playing for fun.

And especially if they have an complaint which is based upon game balance.

Someone should know full well the consequences of their suggestions, and how it might effect the game as a whole.

And the only way to do that, is to have experience of the whole game.  

 

 

I firmly believe that someone should play the game as it exists now, instead of trying to get the game balance to change.

If you want to get better at the game, use what's available to your ownadvantage, instead of letting the red team use it. 

 

That's the very first thing you need to do in order to win more. 

Accept the game as it is. Use what you have to gain an upper hand, and win. Abuse the mechanics to sink as many ships as you can. Learn to counter things, with whatever means are needed. Be ruthlessly cold-blooded, and don't care about fairness and 'game balance'. In fact, tell fairness where it can shove off to. 

Because, you want to be stacking the odds in your favor. That's how you win—by making sure the enemy will lose an engagement.

 

 

And if game mechanics are patched, or otherwise change? 

Adapt. 

It's not the end of the world. The developers were just doing their job—which is making sure their game remains playable, and has a modicum of balance. 'Cause, that's what they do. They make the changes. (Not us here on the forums) 

I prefer to trust them, and I like to think that they know what they're doing. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. 

Doesn't really matter, in the end.    

 

 

 

Oh, and everyone else? 

If you see a player struggling with the game, or making...questionable tactical decisions, be nice. 

Give them good, solid advice, and try to at least help them. Be mindful of your tone while doing it, as well. There's a fine line between helpfulness and snobbery. 

And if the player doesn't want your help, drop it there. No use in arguing with them past that point. 

 

 

 


 

TL;DR

Don't hate the game for 'unfairness'.

Instead, try using it to your advantage.

Maybe that's why the developers put it in?  

 

 

 



Doomlock #2 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

  • 1,777
  • Member since:
    07-09-2013

Nice post, Horde told me about the origin of the phrase before. I don't really like the phrase either, it shows a lack of effort to explain an issue to someone.

 

Edit:

Spoiler

 


Fair winds and following seas! -Doomlock

Doom lord of HiNon: Purveyor of ship knowledge.

 

My Complete list of Warship Pics and AHLA's


Zero_Kelvin #3 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 464
  • Member since:
    09-15-2016

View PostRivertheRoyal, on 19 May 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

 

Oh, and everyone else? 

If you see a player struggling with the game, or making...questionable tactical decisions, be nice. 

Give them good, solid advice, and try to at least help them. Be mindful of your tone while doing it, as well. There's a fine line between helpfulness and snobbery. 

 

 

 

If they're being stupid, they don't deserve courtesy.


Edited by Zero_Kelvin, 19 May 2017 - 08:30 PM.

This user has been DELETED


Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper #4 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:33 PM

    Lieutenant Junior Grade

  • Members

  • 1,581
  • Member since:
    11-17-2015

View PostZero_Kelvin, on 19 May 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

 

If they're being stupid, they don't deserve courtesy.

 

Spoiler

Edited by Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper, 19 May 2017 - 08:35 PM.

"I had to find myself another flagship because I could no longer exercise command from one which was shot to pieces."

Ships in Port:

German Tech Tree Suggestion     Enable Training Rooms Manually

 


tcbaker777 #5 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:37 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,456
  • Member since:
    11-04-2015

View PostZero_Kelvin, on 19 May 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

 

If they're being stupid, they don't deserve courtesy.

 

if they need help ill give  it to them in this game, because clearly, unlike you, i care about the new players staying

" Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die" - Herbert Hoover 

"War never ends, it only rests"

"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its stupidity" - Dwight D. Eisenhower 

Official Meme Lord of HiNon Clan


Zero_Kelvin #6 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 464
  • Member since:
    09-15-2016

View Posttcbaker777, on 19 May 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

 

if they need help ill give  it to them in this game, because clearly, unlike you, i care about the new players staying

 

 

My problem with new players is that, more often than not, they lack initiative to learn before they play. They need to be informed before they even consider downloading the game. Preferably, they know the game back and forth before they even start playing, then they're actually prepared, can do well from the start, and they only have themselves to thank for it, instead of relying on other players for advice and reinforcing their laziness.

 

I don't think we should lower our standards for other players just because they're "rookies".


This user has been DELETED


RivertheRoyal #7 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:45 PM

    Captain

  • Members

  • 4,679
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

View PostZero_Kelvin, on 20 May 2017 - 12:42 AM, said:

I don't think we should lower our standards for other players just because they're "rookies".

 

You don't have to lower any standard. 

Rather, you just have to try and be nice. Otherwise, what's the point in even helping? 

So, I guess its a raising of standards instead? 



Zero_Kelvin #8 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:47 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Members

  • 464
  • Member since:
    09-15-2016

View PostRivertheRoyal, on 19 May 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

 

You don't have to lower any standard. 

Rather, you just have to try and be nice. Otherwise, what's the point in even helping? 

 

I ask again, why do we need to try and be nice to people who don't pay us the same courtesy by learning before they play?

 

Help those who help themselves.


This user has been DELETED


RivertheRoyal #9 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

    Captain

  • Members

  • 4,679
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

View PostZero_Kelvin, on 20 May 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

 

I ask again, why do we need to try and be nice to people who don't pay us the same courtesy by learning before they play?

 

Help those who help themselves.

 

I never said you have to help them, did I?

 



DerKrampus #10 Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:08 PM

    Ensign

  • Members

  • 956
  • Member since:
    07-01-2015

I always took it as a shorter way of saying...

 

"I've lost count of the number of 'BBs please stop sniping from the back' threads I've seen this week.  

The presence of yet another such thread makes me want to kill myself.  

With a spoon.  

Please cease your caterwauling at once.  

Perhaps if you spend more time playing the game, and less time whining, you'll actually improve."

 

:P


 


Carrier_Lexington #11 Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

    Ensign

  • Members

  • 1,160
  • Member since:
    12-25-2014

View PostRivertheRoyal, on 19 May 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

Hello everyone. 

 

Odds are, you've seen the term 'Git Gud' before.

Maybe you've used it yourself (Or a variation thereof), or had something similar parroted at you in the past when making a post on the forums, or saying something in-game. 

 

So, what does it mean? What should you take away from it? 

 


The (kinda) start of it all:

 

Once, there was a game. It was called Dark Souls

 

Okay, so the term 'Git Gud' did not originate from Dark Souls, as is commonly assumed.  

 

It is, however, very much a part of that particular game's mentality, and as such the community of Dark Souls adopted 'Git Gud' for themselves. It stars in numerous memes and stories involving Dark Souls, and has become somewhat infamous among their circles.

I guess before explaining 'Git Gud', I should talk a bit about Dark Souls itself, as a game. You know, since I'm sure there are some who haven't heard of it, nor know of it's reputation.

 

So then, Dark Souls. 

 

It's a bloody difficult game where you almost spend more time dying than playing. Someone going through the game gets very used to those crimson words scrawled across the screen's middle, in a mockery of your pathetic attempt to 'beat' Dark Souls.  

 

It's a genuinely and unapologetically hard game to play through. 

The mobs are difficult. 

The plants will kill you. 

The bosses will crush your ego. 

Hell, even the chests full of loot will occasionally try and murder you viciously.

 

 

Lots of people who play Dark Souls do it for the challenge, and the fulfillment of processing in a difficult game. It requires a lot from you, in dedication and patience. There is no 'easy' way to the finish line, and no ways to artificially lower the difficulty. (It actually get's harder the more you play through it.)  

 

To beat the game, you have to 'Git Gud', as the players would say.

 

So then, that brings us back the the original question.

What is 'Git Gud'?  

 


What does it mean!?:

 

Speaking simply, it's just a bad way of spelling 'Get Good', meant somewhat as a mockery towards whomever the phrase might be directed. Typically, it's used in response to specific types of people and/or comments. 

 

And...er...we're rather well aquatinted with the types of comments that might inspire the 'Git Gud' retort. 

How about an example or two? (Or seven...)

 

"____ class is OP, and needs nerfing!"

"____ class is UP, and needs buffing!" 

"____ class needs to be added!" 

"____ mechanic sucks, and needs to be removed!" 

"____ mechanic need to be added!" 

"MM is broken, and sucks!"

"The game hates me in particular!" 

 

By no means am I limiting the 'Git Gud' inducing comments to only these—no, there are far, far more that have been passed around these forums, and dismissed. 

 

So then, what does it mean when you write a thread about one of the above issues (or anything else) and someone responds with a 'Git Gud' like comment? What should you take it as? 

Well, simply—it normally means that you should probably look at your own performance in game, and see if perhaps there might be something that you can improve on. At least, that's what it's meant as towards those who complain of game balance and fairness in things like Dark Souls, and Call of Duty (*shivers*). 

 

However, my own interpretation of getting good is somewhat different. 

 

 


My own opinion:

 

Okay, so look—I don't like the term 'Git Gud', at all. 

It's just not a very helpful answer to someone asking or suggesting something. 

 

I do agree with the sentiment behind getting good, though. 

A player should always strive to better themselves and their gameplay. Even if they're just playing for fun.

And especially if they have an complaint which is based upon game balance.

Someone should know full well the consequences of their suggestions, and how it might effect the game as a whole.

And the only way to do that, is to have experience of the whole game.  

 

 

I firmly believe that someone should play the game as it exists now, instead of trying to get the game balance to change.

If you want to get better at the game, use what's available to your ownadvantage, instead of letting the red team use it. 

 

That's the very first thing you need to do in order to win more. 

Accept the game as it is. Use what you have to gain an upper hand, and win. Abuse the mechanics to sink as many ships as you can. Learn to counter things, with whatever means are needed. Be ruthlessly cold-blooded, and don't care about fairness and 'game balance'. In fact, tell fairness where it can shove off to. 

Because, you want to be stacking the odds in your favor. That's how you win—by making sure the enemy will lose an engagement.

 

 

And if game mechanics are patched, or otherwise change? 

Adapt. 

It's not the end of the world. The developers were just doing their job—which is making sure their game remains playable, and has a modicum of balance. 'Cause, that's what they do. They make the changes. (Not us here on the forums) 

I prefer to trust them, and I like to think that they know what they're doing. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. 

Doesn't really matter, in the end.    

 

 

 

Oh, and everyone else? 

If you see a player struggling with the game, or making...questionable tactical decisions, be nice. 

Give them good, solid advice, and try to at least help them. Be mindful of your tone while doing it, as well. There's a fine line between helpfulness and snobbery. 

And if the player doesn't want your help, drop it there. No use in arguing with them past that point. 

 

 

 


 

TL;DR

Don't hate the game for 'unfairness'.

Instead, try using it to your advantage.

Maybe that's why the developers put it in?  

 

 

 

 

 


"Heresy!"


RivertheRoyal #12 Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

    Captain

  • Members

  • 4,679
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

View PostCarrier_Lexington, on 20 May 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

 

 

 

A dislike cannon? Care to elaborate? 

Carrier_Lexington #13 Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:43 PM

    Ensign

  • Members

  • 1,160
  • Member since:
    12-25-2014

View PostRivertheRoyal, on 20 May 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

 

A dislike cannon? Care to elaborate? 

 

...Its supposed to be an upvote cannon.... 'cause I ran out of those for the day.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington, 20 May 2017 - 05:43 PM.

"Heresy!"





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users