Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers

Hmmm...

Port...

Bottle of Port... 

Ship in a bottle!

Spoiler

My Warship Skins (Mostly Historical) Ships available: 

MikasaFusō, Nagato, Amagi, Zeonic ShimakazeArkansas β, Texas, BogueIndependence, SaipanRanger, Saratoga, König Albert, Leander, Minotaur

Latest:  Sweet Home Alabama

Trp_81 #143 Posted Today, 02:33 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

USS Artisan in Espiritu Santo.

Spoiler

Edited by Trp_81, Today, 02:58 AM.

DarthDoge #144 Posted Today, 03:41 AM

Captain

• Members

I could've done better but I somehow managed to squeeze this out while in finals season.. damn edumacation lol eating up all my time.

DarthDoge's Military Port

https://imgur.com/gallery/QIuqI

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hopefully I win something, I never win in contests.

Admiral_Cirno #145 Posted Today, 04:00 AM

Seaman

• Members

Please excuse the terrible artwork, but I think this could be an interesting port concept:

http://imgur.com/a/OEDNk

The basic idea is displaying the ships as model ships on a wall or a desk.  When a ship is selected it moves to the front.  Also, framed paintings of ships or blueprints can be placed on the wall as well, and could be linked to special functions such as info screens etc.  

Again, sorry I lack the artistic skills to draw it better.

donald_wang #146 Posted Today, 04:04 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Okay here is my post 

​Since we got Italian ships in the game(only one though), why not a Italian Harbor? 

Spoiler

And a different view 

Spoiler

The port contains a beautiful view of the city's most renowned buildings like the doge's palace and the St. Macro Basilica and its bell tower.(although I can't find a better angle using google street view) 

For the container ship, I think the last ducal barge in 1727  (or the bucentaur in Italian ) should be very interesting:

Spoiler

(The giant, decorated, red-roofed galley which played a important role in for ceremonies in the Venetian Lagoon)

Other features: I think a few dozen gondoliers rowing around, and a venetian galley in its full might at middle ages like this one will be good

Spoiler

Jorge_555 #147 Posted Today, 04:59 AM

Seaman

• Members

Well this is my ticket, the subject of my pueto becomes a combination between German and Japanese converting this port into a mini-port with space for a single ship, boats and hydroplanes, I hope you like it and good luck to everyone.

NikoPower #148 Posted Today, 05:21 AM

Community Corgi Enthusiast

• Administrator

Great work everyone, just a little under 12 hours left. If you haven't submitted your entry, don't wait! Do it now. 

- Created by Jorge_555

"To be honest in some strange way when I think of Niko I just imagine a Corgi, like my brain knows that Niko is a human but the Corgi image just works." - Devastator5000

RHINO_Mk_II #149 Posted Today, 05:26 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

We have a future/fictional port in Yokosuka, so I figured why not...

Spoiler

Ranked Season 43rd place (70.23% wins) of 3550 players | Ranked Season 53rd place (72.73% wins) of 3484 players | Ranked Season 61st place (79.03% wins) of 4323 players

Supremacy League Season 21st place | Supremacy League Season 3 Gold Division1st place

Vaporisor #150 Posted Today, 07:02 AM

Ensign

• Members

Thanks to real life getting in the way, I didn't have much time to do the visual aides for the contest, but hope that is okay.  I have made images to explain what I mean, and hope the idea comes across.  I do mechanical design and due to a shortage on time, I would not have been able to do the models, and instead tried my hand at poorer image editing.  For designs of ports, the port itself?  There is so many.  But I was thinking more along the "building with features" and thought, what if our port was a game driven feature?

WHAT IF INSTEAD OF A PORT, THE "PORT" WAS A DEPLOYED FLEET?

This means a dynamic screen.  A wide range of ideas, some of which have multiple components depending on desired complexity

1.  FULL FLEET DIV!
What I mean is when you finish a map, you don't go to some port, but the port instead is a model of the fleet on maneuvers.  So your active ship is centered, and then around you are a fleet composition.  In example picture, there is the active ship, a carrier in background, and a battleship with a service ship.  Properly modeled would have been able to have multiples of each with cruisers and destroyers.  Equal in size and composition to an in game match.

Options:  When you chose your ship, a quick fog will blow in and out to hide the ship transition.  In addition, the fleets will be a pre-made composition of ships of that tier and nation.  Specialty ships being with their closest ally.  In the instance of low tree population, such as french or royal navy, the missing ships can be filled in by the US or more of their appropriate cruisers/destroyers as seen fit.  In the example pictures, ships are all Tier 5 US.  Germany would have more battleships in place of carriers.

2. THE REPAIR SHIP
The repair ship is actually the source point for my proposal.  What I wanted to see was your ship from the previous match in it's end of map condition.  So in the picture case, It is an undamaged New York.  Boo.... hiss... battleships without damage.  In execution, the damage shaders would be applied, so all destroyed components would be destroyed, all shaders representing hull damage would be there.  If you sunk, then this ship would be loaded up in a full damage visual.  So max shaders, every turret out of commission, no planes, and so on.

3.  LOCATION
This is where it gets tricky saying "a port design"  What I would like to see is for it to actually use a port based off your last map you played on.  So if you were in Arctic, you would be on arctic map with your fleet.  If you were on Two Brothers, that is where you will be upon leaving.

4.  TIME OF DAY
Once more drawing from the past match, time of day would make use of dynamic lighting and reflect your overall score for your team.  If you were number one for everybody, Then it is mid day.  The sun is full in the sky.  If you were about mid, the sun is setting a fair bit.  As you drop into the lower half, it becomes night with bottom of the board being a dim moon.  The moon will be full at moonrise and then drop to a sickle as you hit the lowest in match.

5.  WEATHER
Weather is reflected by your victory.  This one would be a set in gradients.  An overwhelming victory would be clear skies until a crushing defeat is a heavy storm......

Now for examples.  Again, due to time, I couldnt do locations, but as such, just made.

CLEAR AND SUNNY DAY

CLEAR SUNSET

CLOUDY SUNSET

PARTIAL COVER NIGHT

MID DAY STORM

BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES!

I know it doesn't compete up to some of the excellent modelling that others did.  But I wanted to focus on feature potential and ideas.  Please consider the concept on the whole even though it is based around dialog.  I think it would make for an amazing and immersive experience.

xtcmax #151 Posted Today, 07:22 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Niko, i am very disappointed in you, man. It is 00:22 AM and results are not up. Whats up with that?

pikohan #152 Posted Today, 07:26 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Postxtcmax, on 25 May 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

Niko, i am very disappointed in you, man. It is 00:22 AM and results are not up. Whats up with that?

It doesn't end 'til tomorrow 9AM PST?

Vaporisor #153 Posted Today, 08:09 AM

Ensign

• Members

Well, been chilling and thinking.  And at the hour before I crash, I thought of something that would make an amazing base.  But since I only got the pics for the historical reference, want to put it up for the cool factor.

Would have been fun to do something like the Balaklava naval museum.

I could not do this any justice, but am imagining it all scaled up.

https://en.wikipedia...mplex_Balaklava

NOT TO SCALE

Dang, wish I thought of this location a week ago.  It would be pretty wild if scaled up to hold battleships

Have a map

Edited by Vaporisor, Today, 08:18 AM.

Scryer117 #154 Posted Today, 11:16 AM

Warrant Officer

• Alpha Tester

Here's my take.. Custom port design, I codenamed: Port Endurance. Decided to include ships I designed to give the port some scaling.

I could have added some more ships, notably more DD's & some PT & tugboats, but decided not to since I've already hit like 700k+ polygons w/ all the ships I added. Regarding the port features. I designed 2 roofed dry docks(also usable as regular docks) to protect important ships from spying eyes, usually BBs & CVs, especially if they're under repair or maintenance, each can hold 2 battleship-sized ships, end to end. The 2 docking areas with the CVs and BBs in them, can be used as dry docks for ship repair. Multiple warehouses can be seen, simply for storage of munitions and parts, as well as some personnel accommodation facilities. The open area to the north-west quadrant of the overhead image is reserved for seaplane parking, including a ramp.

The entrance to the port is guarded by 4 triple-6in gun turrets, similar to those used on the Cleveland-class, and includes an armored gate that opens/closes, to protect the harbor from enemy incursions, especially from enemy submarines. A lighthouse is also included for navigation. Roads are visible along the port area for ease of transport of supplies and personnel.

Overhead View

Spoiler

View 1

Spoiler

View 2

Spoiler

View 3

Spoiler

View 4 (Port Gate)

Spoiler

Features

Spoiler

Scryer117 #155 Posted Today, 12:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Alpha Tester

Wasn't expecting I'd make the deadline, since I had to take care of some exams. 

Skolopendra #156 Posted Today, 01:01 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

My port submission is Shanghai.

The reason I feel that Shanghai is the most appropriate choice is because its history has had more diverse international influences than nearly any other city I can think of as well as its development being in strong connection to its location where one of the longest rivers in the world meets the pacific. The first known settlements in the area are from the Neolithic age between 5000 and 3300BCE and during the Ming dynasty a defensive wall was erected around the whole city to protect against Wokou pirates. In the 1800s as Western powers continued to expand their influence overseas they came to “offer” trade to China, when the Chinese government refused the British forced the import of opium into the country. After China lost the two Opium wars to British, French, and American forces Shanghai was made one of the Treaty Ports with extraterritoriality, creating essentially foreign land known as the International Settlement and the French Concession.

This is the foundation for Shanghai’s development into a modern international metropolis with the tallest buildings in the Eastern hemisphere, unique local Jazz scene, gangsters, entrepreneurs, and a focal point in China’s fight for democracy as well as its communist movement. It was the fourth largest city in the world during the 1930s and today it is the most populous city proper in the world, thanks in part to having the busiest container port in the world. The myriad of foreign influences on Shanghai’s history is unparalleled in the world.

Shanghai was a globally-connected city before globalism became a common theme around the world. You could find Sikh policemen patrolling the international settlement, and the Shanghai Volunteer Corps had nearly every major power and ethnicity represented within it;

“Scottish, American, Chinese, Italian, Austro-Hungarian, Danish, German, Filipino, Jewish, Portuguese, Japanese, White Russian, and Eurasian companies, amongst others.”

Certain areas under control of the German empire was ceded back to China after Japan’s efforts in WWI (and the resolution of the Shandong Problem), thousands of White Russians came to take refuge during their communist revolution and maintained their own distinct community outside of Russia during the interwar period in Shanghai and engaged in Jazz music. Shanghai had a sizable Jewish population including Baghdadi Jews, bolstered by refugees of the Russian Revolution and during WWII thousands more came from Western Europe since Shanghai was the only place in the world that accepted stateless refugees, even when Japanese forces had already begun their campaigns in China in 1937.

The Battle for Shanghai occurred rather early in the Japanese campaigns in China, and so the Chinese Nationalist forces had the most resources at their disposal, German-trained Chinese officers conducted operations, there were dogfights above the city against IJN carrier-borne aircraft as well as floatplanes launched from IJN warships in the river, Chinese dive and torpedo bombers attacked IJN warships in front of the Bund, light tanks and armoured cars engaged in tight urban warfare in Shanghai more than five years before the Battle of Stalingrad. The Chinese forces didn’t expect outright victory against the Japanese military and so attempted to maintain the fight for Shanghai as long as possible in order to attract Western attention, no Western power assisted as Japan ramped up the engagement of its army, naval landing forces, and naval air power to end the Battle for Shanghai which ended up much costlier than expected but also ended the Nationalist side’s chance to fight head-on in the same way again. Large foreign warships literally sat in the middle of the cross-fire at times and had to make their flags clearly visible at all times in case of collateral damage.

France’s assets switched sides halfway through the war allowing the Japanese acquire it and the Italians had the opposite situation in 1943, suddenly putting their warships at Shanghai in the middle of “enemy” territory requiring immediate scuttling by the crews.

The main features I’d like to see in a port is being able to feel the relevance of the setting and interact with the location in a meaningful way, which is why Shanghai is very appropriate, there are all major Western powers and Japan represented somewhere along its historic Bund’s buildings. I would like to see tech tree ships of each Nation dock by their respective waterfront government buildings and port actions relating to nation such as viewing the tech tree, ship/module research, captain training, etc done by some sort of interactions with those locations in port.

After the Qing Dynasty Shanghai became the centre for international postal distribution in China, and the General Post Office head post is on a waterfront building at the mouth of the Suzhou Creek and adjacent to the historic Garden Bridge first erected 1856 and the Russian Consulate building(also on the waterfront). So naturally that would be a good opportunity to bring a bit of real-life grounding to the messaging/notification system in wows. No excessive clicking around in port is necessary but it would be a nice bit of realism if messages came from that building.

The Eastern side of the river had all of the industrial development during the twentieth century, city powerplants and water filtration as well as factories for all kinds of goods and even foreign machine workshops owned by companies such as General Motors. This section of the port could be used to receive containers and/or apply signal flags/fresh consumables traded from overseas. Today it has the modern skyline facing the Bund and made it the only city in the world with three of the top ten tallest skyscrapers in the world(now it’s only two). Alternatively containers could be collected from the Bund at the large art deco-style Customs House with large clocktower.

Further South along the river is the Jiangnan Shipyard (Kiangnan Arsenal in old romanisation), where the Chinese empire pursued a modernisation during the Self-Strengthening Movement following the wake of the two Opium Wars and the resultant Unequal Treaties. Kiangnan Arsenal and Shipyard was made to create modern firearms and naval vessels, and is where they made their first steamships and domestic steel. It was also used in the twentieth century to build some American river patrol warships and during the Second World War was used by the IJN to dry docked there for repairs. If this also is included in the in-game port the player would be able to see the bright city lights of downtown Shanghai upriver while their ships are in the dry docks similar to the current premium port. For extra relevance this part of the port could be used while changing modules on ships. If a player gets sunk in a match maybe they would load into the dry dock section of the port afterwards instead. Why not.

Shanghai means “Upon the Sea” in Chinese.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Admiral_Cirno, pdro91, martineggdahl, Skolopendra