Outfitting Roon - Slot 6

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Captain_Dorja #1 Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

So I just got Roon the other day, and I really liked Hipper because it was a good damage dealer and a great fleet support ship (the only thing I didn't like about the ship was that it was pretty damn hard to carry in it since it was a support ship).

I played the Hipper with Steering Gear Mod 2 and Concealment Mod - I found that it gave Hipper the combination of enough stealth to not be spotted from Jupiter, but the agility to dodge enemy fire with surprising effectiveness. I'm happy overall with my captain build, and I know what I want to put on Roon in all the slots except slot 6. 

Concealment, or double rudder shift? What are your thoughts? Right now I'm leaning double rudder shift, since with just Steering Gears Mod 2, Roon has about half again slower rudder shift than Hipper. and it's concealment is pretty close to Hipper even without the concealment mod.

USN: All BBs, CAs, DDs. Lexington, Missouri, Alabama, Saipan, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Arizona, Texas, Albany, Lo Yang

IJN:  Hiryu, Hatsuharu, Yugumo, Mogami, Amagi, Tachibana, Kamikaze R, ARP Kirishima, ARP Kongo, ARP Haruna, ARP Hiei, Fubuki, Akatsuki, ARP Ashigara, ARP Haguro, ARP Nachi, Nagato, ARP Takao, Atago
Germany: Bayern, Hipper, Emden, Nurnberg, Scharnhorst, Prinz Eugen, Tirpitz

Russia: Shchors, Kiev, Imperator Nikolai, Gremyashchy, Anshan, Molotov, Leningrad, Mikhail Kutuzov

Britain and Allies: Leander, Campbeltown, Perth, Warspite, Dunkerque, Blyskawica, Belfast

KmsH44 #2 Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Rudder shift will save you more than the still-high detection.

Bergy1972 #3 Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Rudder go for rudder

pufek #4 Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I use detection all the way. Proven to be very effective !:izmena:

Life it is to short to be wasted in stupid things, so enjoy it to the fullest.

vonKaiser #5 Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

Detection IMHO.  I find her to be satisfyingly nimble and early on in game I tend to hang back launching shells at distance.  When I get too focused I can simply stop firing, disappear into the nothingness and pick a time when I want to be seen again.  Double rudder is good for juking and dodging but all you need is that one bad shell to hit you and hurt.  You might avoid it with the double rudder, you might avoid it due to concealment. 

Basically, what's YOUR playstyle?  Aggressive?  Hang back?  Personally I think that's going to be your motivating factor.  I can tell you concealment but if you're up in the thick of battle duking it out with DD's, yeah it's not going to work to well to have concealment.  Conversely if you're support ship 2nd or 3rd line that double rudder would be nice, but might be wasted due to the fact that you could dodge pretty well just given the shell flight time. 

For the love of god Wargaming, please remove the atrocious Citadel hit noise

Sincerely, a Tinnitus sufferer. (Edit 7/7/16 - Thank you soooooo much for the change Wargaming)

Random Gaming Moments, Ship Reviews and gameplay breakdown by yours truly: https://www.youtube.com/c/vonkaiser

Kapitanleutnant_Ford #6 Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

Rudder 
Stats

Captain_Dorja #7 Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:20 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

I think I'll go double rudders right now.

Also - polite aside to people commenting in here - it's helpful to drop in a one or two word answer like many of you did, and for that I think you. It's a lot more helpful to answer with a bit of your reasoning, experiences, or the way you use the specific equipment to help advance your play style. That helps a lot more.

USN: All BBs, CAs, DDs. Lexington, Missouri, Alabama, Saipan, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Arizona, Texas, Albany, Lo Yang

IJN:  Hiryu, Hatsuharu, Yugumo, Mogami, Amagi, Tachibana, Kamikaze R, ARP Kirishima, ARP Kongo, ARP Haruna, ARP Hiei, Fubuki, Akatsuki, ARP Ashigara, ARP Haguro, ARP Nachi, Nagato, ARP Takao, Atago

Russia: Shchors, Kiev, Imperator Nikolai, Gremyashchy, Anshan, Molotov, Leningrad, Mikhail Kutuzov

Britain and Allies: Leander, Campbeltown, Perth, Warspite, Dunkerque, Blyskawica, Belfast

hangglide42 #8 Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Hi Captain_Dorja - I'm nearing the end of my time w/ the Roon (15K til Hindenburg) & I've tried both the rudder shift and concealment on the Roon. FYI - I've found both highly workable as my playstyle is usually high maneuver kiting w/ Cruisers so I really do appreciate a good rudder shift,

HOWEVER, I've played the Roon mostly using Concealment.  The reason why is that the 9.1 sec rudder shift is not bad if you are comfortable w/ the maneuvering kiting/shot baiting/dodging style which is very compatible w/ this ship (majority of guns facing rearward).  The 11.1 Concealment, though is useful for disengagement (i.e. dropping from detection) as a very important part of your engagement strategy, as needed, if things get too hot. 

I did the same (prioritize Concealment) on the Ibuki and Baltimore as well (tho those ships have <10 km detection w/ the Capt. Skill & Cammo w/ the Module Upgrade).

Good luck & Have Fun!  The Roon is a great Cruiser!

Edited by hangglide42, 19 May 2017 - 05:35 PM.

Captain_Dorja #9 Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View Posthangglide42, on 19 May 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

Hi Captain_Dorja - I'm nearing the end of my time w/ the Roon (15K til Hindenburg) & I've tried both the rudder shift and concealment on the Roon. FYI - I've found both highly workable as my playstyle is usually high maneuver kiting w/ Cruisers so I really do appreciate a good rudder shift,

HOWEVER, I've played the Roon mostly using Concealment.  The reason why is that the 9.1 sec rudder shift is not bad if you are comfortable w/ the maneuvering kiting/shot baiting/dodging style which is very compatible w/ this ship (majority of guns facing rearward).  The 11.1 Concealment, though is useful for disengagement (i.e. dropping from detection) as a very important part of your engagement strategy, as needed, if things get too hot. 

I did the same (prioritize Concealment) on the Ibuki and Baltimore as well (tho those ships have <10 km detection w/ the Capt. Skill & Cammo w/ the Module Upgrade).

Good luck & Have Fun!  The Roon is a great Cruiser!

Hey thanks. I just realized I was too dumb to remember that I only have the stock hull right now, so my rudder shift is balls. After I get the B hull, I might swap to Concealment.

hangglide42 #10 Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostCaptain_Dorja, on 19 May 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

Hey thanks. I just realized I was too dumb to remember that I only have the stock hull right now, so my rudder shift is balls. After I get the B hull, I might swap to Concealment.

Yep! After I got the rudder shift from the upgraded hull - that's when I tried out the Slot 6 rudder shift vs. Concealment.  Both worked well, just a subtle difference with how you play her.  I liked the German Cruiser line for the most part (not everyone does) because 1) it offers different play styles due to the different gun layouts (AB-XY for the Hipper/Hindenburg and A-XY for the Konigsberg/Nurnberg/Roon) 2) the Hipper/Hindy have analogies in the German BB line w/ the Bismarck/GK.  Enjoy!

Nimitz_1701 #11 Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:52 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

To Captian_Dorja I found that the rouder shift is best on both the Roon and Hindenburg. The reason I say this is that it alows you to dodge in coming fire as well reangle quickly, and finally it makes it easier to dodge torpedoes. I found that this works best for me as I like to keep the guns firing so I got very little from the extra concleament. But that's just me, hope this helps.

m373x #12 Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

Concealment.

Roon has good enough rudder already and 11.1 allows you to as someone once said about Roon: "you go murder hobo on people" and it is damn right.

edit: found it

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/111045-good-bye-fair-seas-thanks-for-the-memories/page__pid__2706521#entry2706521

Edited by m373x, 19 May 2017 - 07:31 PM.

BGolightly #13 Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:26 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostCaptain_Dorja, on 19 May 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

So I just got Roon the other day, and I really liked Hipper because it was a good damage dealer and a great fleet support ship (the only thing I didn't like about the ship was that it was pretty damn hard to carry in it since it was a support ship).

I played the Hipper with Steering Gear Mod 2 and Concealment Mod - I found that it gave Hipper the combination of enough stealth to not be spotted from Jupiter, but the agility to dodge enemy fire with surprising effectiveness. I'm happy overall with my captain build, and I know what I want to put on Roon in all the slots except slot 6. 

Concealment, or double rudder shift? What are your thoughts? Right now I'm leaning double rudder shift, since with just Steering Gears Mod 2, Roon has about half again slower rudder shift than Hipper. and it's concealment is pretty close to Hipper even without the concealment mod.

hated Roon, but I really enjoy Hindenburg, so I'm going to address this more from the perspective of a Hindenburg player than of a Roon player - I hope that's alright.

I've used both Concealment Systems Mod 1 (CSM1) and Steering Gears Mod 3 (SGM3) on Hindenburg. Overall, I have been more successful with SGM3 than with CSM1. While the stealth is nice, the ship simply isn't very sneaky, and the faster rudder has been - for me - a more powerful defensive tool than improved concealment. I play quite aggressively (probably too aggressively), and I find that the quicker rudder helps me mitigate incoming shells and torpedoes far more effectively than stealth tactics do. With the recent buff to bow plating, maneuvering to mitigate shells is even more effective*.

*The 27mm bow plating is enough to bounce main battery shells from BismarckTirpitzHood, and GneisenauRoon can see all four of those ships, Hindenburg will only see Bismarck and Tirpitz. The majority of the battleships you'll face in either Roon or Hindenburg will overmatch your bow plating anyway, so it's not that big a buff, but it does give you the freedom to charge the T8 Germans.

Hull Classification Symbols

BB: Battleship; CC: Battlecruiser; CB: Large Cruiser; CA: Heavy Cruiser; CL: Light Cruiser; CV: Aircraft Carrier; DD: Destroyer

SeaRaptor00 #14 Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:35 PM

Lieutenant

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • Members

Though I have my Roon fitted out for max stealth, I think that SGM3 might be a better mod for her.  Her need to constantly wiggle her bum to get her guns in and out of arc while dodging incoming fire makes it very attractive. 

I still run full stealth on Hindenburg as well, but SGM3 is pretty troll-y.  I've done both, and SGM3 drives battleship captains insane with rage trying to hit you.

Latest World of Warships Wiki Updates -- My Talk page -- My YouTube channel

"Wiki editors do the Lord's work." --Pigeon_of_War @ WGNA

Acolyte of the Church of Hindenburg and Official Scrub of Task Force Apocalypse (Salt Queens)

Teske #15 Posted Yesterday, 02:07 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Double rudder for me all the way. My thinking is that my guns are usually singing non-stop, so I get nothing from concealment boosters and it's a better investment to focus on evasion.

JochenHeiden #16 Posted Yesterday, 04:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Full concealment build and I had a 10:1 KDR in the ship. It was one of my fastest grinds ever to the Hindenburg. Roon was spectacularly good. 

A super special thank you to Eric_Von_Hess for his incredibly generous gift of Mikhail Kutuzov!

|KRG| Kriegsmaschine - Prushn & JochenHeiden, division partners for life!

Please visit my Youtube page for exciting WOWS Battle Replays:   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCouxqbVLTQRue1omZ-INlag

SeaRaptor00 #17 Posted Yesterday, 04:21 PM

Lieutenant

• WoWS Wiki Editor
  • Members

View PostTeske, on 25 May 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

Double rudder for me all the way. My thinking is that my guns are usually singing non-stop, so I get nothing from concealment boosters and it's a better investment to focus on evasion.

This is definitely one strong school of thought.  The other is that there are times you want to "go dark" and stop firing to re-position or heal up.  You pretty much can't do that in Hindenburg or Roon without a full stealth rig.

The flip side to that, of course, is that just because they can see you doesn't mean they can HIT you (because double rudder shift mods).  It's kind of a circular argument, and one that is really a matter of preference than a clear leader, I think.

Latest World of Warships Wiki Updates -- My Talk page -- My YouTube channel

"Wiki editors do the Lord's work." --Pigeon_of_War @ WGNA

Acolyte of the Church of Hindenburg and Official Scrub of Task Force Apocalypse (Salt Queens)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users