First Impressions: USS Kidd (Flamu video)

USS Kidd USN DD First Impression

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

jagerkuro #61 Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:31 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Edited

Just found an image of it with two.

netcup #62 Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:34 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostKitsunelegend, on 19 May 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

This is flamu. Anything he says, I refuse to listen to cause he's a massive D-bag.

As for the Kidd....she's a bloody USN DD ffs! Shes not supposed to have awesome torps! Shes a gun boat! A GUN BOAT! A BOAT WITH GUNS! And they're AWESOME guns at that! Set her up for anti-DD operations and she'll sing a golden song.

Bloody hell people.... :fishpalm:

As a side note, I will be buying this ship the MOMENT it comes out. I love my Sims, and have been slowly grinding my way up the USN DD line recently, for the sole purpose of getting the Fletcher at tier 9. Having a dedicated tier 8 DD captain trainer will be AWESOME.

I really don't know where this hate toward Flamu comes from, because there are a lot more toxic NA CCs out there than he is. Anyway, I wonder who I would rather believe when it comes to a ship review, a very competent player at this game and -dispite you like it or not- one of the best players in the game or you? You talk big as if you would know so much about US DDs but according to your Warships.today stats have you not even played 500 (actually it show 402 batles so the 500 is very generous) random battles on your account, with barely average stats. You say you grind up the US DD line and are eager to have a premium trainer for your Fletcher? Well, again according to WT are you still at the tier 3 Wickes with 3 played games and a 33% winrate. You say how much you love the Sims, yet you have -you know, according to your own stats- played only 5 battles in it with a 40% winrate.

Your whole comment is based on your hate toward Flamu as a person, but if it comes to game competence you should maybe not criticize a very well known skilled player that even WG listens to when it comes to ship balancing in a way you did - or at least have the stats to back it up.

crzyhawk #63 Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:42 AM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 19 May 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

Why would you use your torpedo oriented build on a Tier VIII USN DD with half the torpedo armament of any of the Tier VII+ USN DDs?

My Fletcher isn't torpedo oriented.  I do most of my work with the guns.  That's why I would use my Fletcher captain on my Kidd.  I might not be interested in this boat, if I could get Lo Yang to perform as well as my Benson.  I can't, I need that 5th gun, and rarely hit with torps anyways.

lemekillmister #64 Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:50 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

I suspect Kidd needs and will get some kind of special help for faster torpedo reload; something similar in effect to Akizuki. 

I'm a spudman, I got eyes all around.

ryuukei8569 #65 Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:50 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View Postgoldeagle1123, on 19 May 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

Akizuki still was an AA monster for a DD, it deserves DF if they're going to give Kidd DF. As for the main IJN DD line, they should get the Shiratsuyu's 5 second torp reload booster in it's own slot. That would make them competitive.

I really hope your not asking to have torpedo reload booster paced on Shimakaze. That would be way too insane.

Gearing  Des Moines  Montana  Midway  Fletcher  Iowa  North Carolina  Atlanta  Sims  Saipan  Arizona  Marblehead  Texas  Wyoming  Yamato  Zao  Shimakaze  Hakuryu  Atago  Kamikaze  Hosho Ishizuchi  Mikasa  Umikaze  Großer Kurfurst  Hindenburg  Bismarck  Tirptiz  Scharnhorst  Bayern  Konig  Konig Albert  Nassau  Emden  Moskva  Khabarovsk  Mikhail Kutuzov  Molotov  Murmansk  Imperator Nikolai  Bogatyr  Storozhevoi  Warspite Campbeltown  Dunkerque  Anshan  Lo Yang  Blyskawica

HazeGrayUnderway #66 Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:06 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View Postryuukei8569, on 19 May 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

I really hope your not asking to have torpedo reload booster paced on Shimakaze. That would be way too insane.

Torpedoes.

Torpedoes everywhere!

:hiding:

ryuukei8569 #67 Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:13 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostForgMaxtor, on 19 May 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

My guess is that the Gearing's lower main battery DPS for AA on a per-tube basis is justified in WG's minds by the fact that the Gearing's turrets have a slightly slower rotation rate, rotation is very important stat to consider when estimating AA capability.  Planes move much faster than ships.

However, I don't agree.  Either the mount is fast enough to track the target, or its not, and 25 deg./sec. is fast enough to track a WWII-era aircraft through the vast majority of attack profiles.  There are a very limited set of circumstances where the Gearing's turrets would not be able to track an aircraft target, but the Fletcher's would.

Gearing's main battery also had much better sky arcs than the Fletcher's -- the Fletcher's midships mount especially was fairly occluded.  This is another factor that should give the Gearing an AA advantage, but is not considered in the game.

Ts because in wargamings screwed up logic, mountings that have multiple barrels should have less DPS per barrel than a single barrel. This kind of AA DPS crap is present on every AA gun in the game. Twin mount guns have more AA DPS per barrel than quads of the same gun, single mount guns have more per barrel DPS than twins

Gearing  Des Moines  Montana  Midway  Fletcher  Iowa  North Carolina  Atlanta  Sims  Saipan  Arizona  Marblehead  Texas  Wyoming  Yamato  Zao  Shimakaze  Hakuryu  Atago  Kamikaze  Hosho Ishizuchi  Mikasa  Umikaze  Großer Kurfurst  Hindenburg  Bismarck  Tirptiz  Scharnhorst  Bayern  Konig  Konig Albert  Nassau  Emden  Moskva  Khabarovsk  Mikhail Kutuzov  Molotov  Murmansk  Imperator Nikolai  Bogatyr  Storozhevoi  Warspite Campbeltown  Dunkerque  Anshan  Lo Yang  Blyskawica

Battlecruiser_Tiger #68 Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:17 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostSlimeball91, on 20 May 2017 - 02:10 AM, said:

what is the point of the Kidd.

$. That's it.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Tiger, 20 May 2017 - 06:18 AM.

[KNMSU] is seeking new members. Please PM me before applying! Thank you!

"Semi-notorious forum twit"

Slimeball91 #69 Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:47 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostBattlecruiser_Tiger, on 20 May 2017 - 02:17 AM, said:

$. That's it.

I understand the money aspect.  I just find it hard to believe enough people are going to spend $50 on this ship.  I'll do my best to make sure people hear my opinion on why this is a poor premium.  If WG adds something to this ship to make it worth while I'll happily recant my present thoughts. 

HazardDrake #70 Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers

View Postcrzyhawk, on 20 May 2017 - 01:48 AM, said:

what you can't do is use your 19 point Gearing/Fletcher captain.

Just use your 19 point Benson captain. It all goes into the same Eliete captain XP bin.

HazardDrake #71 Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:19 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers

View Postryuukei8569, on 20 May 2017 - 05:50 AM, said:

ForgMaxtor #72 Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

Ensign

• Members

View Postryuukei8569, on 20 May 2017 - 06:13 AM, said:

Ts because in wargamings screwed up logic, mountings that have multiple barrels should have less DPS per barrel than a single barrel. This kind of AA DPS crap is present on every AA gun in the game. Twin mount guns have more AA DPS per barrel than quads of the same gun, single mount guns have more per barrel DPS than twins

With WWII-era manual aiming technology, this *is* true for light AA -- the USN did studies comparing the single mount 20mm Oerlikon to the twin, and found that in general, due to issues like additional vibration and smoke generated by the  twin mount 20mm making aiming more difficult, one twin mount was worth only about 1.5 single mounts.  But the twin mounts also took up less deck space, weighed less on a per-barrel basis, and required less crew to operate, so they were deemed still worth it.

But it's probably *not* true of heavy AA like the 5"/L38.  The DP main battery of a Fletcher or Gearing-class DD fired in concert under the direction and control of the master fire director; the crew in the turrets simply fed the guns and under normal operation played no part in aiming.  And since the FCS for the main battery was high on the superstructure, away from the gun mounts themselves, vibration and smoke from rapid firing was generally not a factor.  So it really didn't matter whether it was 2 guns in separate mounts, or 2 guns together in a twin mount.

I don't recall an analysis of mid-caliber AA in this regard.  When I have time, I'll have to dig back through the USN study and see if it says anything regarding the efficiency of the 40mm twin vs. quad mounts.

Edited by ForgMaxtor, 20 May 2017 - 01:26 PM.

HazeGrayUnderway #73 Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostHazardDrake, on 20 May 2017 - 05:19 AM, said:

On thinking about it more, Torp Reload Booster on Shima would be amazing to see, even if WG only temporarily allows it.

15 away!

Reload!  5 seconds!  Ready!

15 MOAR AWAYYYY!

TheStarSlayer #74 Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:42 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers

View PostUmikami, on 19 May 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

Historically, wasn't Kidd a USN DD?

The OP mentioned adding DF for IJN cans, I'd rather get TRB and directly accentuate the IJN strengths than a band-aid on AA.

My Warship Skins (Mostly Historical) Ships available: 

MikasaFusō, Nagato, Amagi, Zeonic ShimakazeArkansas β, Texas, BogueIndependence, SaipanRanger, Saratoga, König Albert, Leander, Minotaur

Latest:  Sweet Home Alabama

Slimeball91 #75 Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:28 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostTheStarSlayer, on 21 May 2017 - 07:42 PM, said:

The OP mentioned adding DF for IJN cans, I'd rather get TRB and directly accentuate the IJN strengths than a band-aid on AA.

Of course, but that isn't going to happen.  The idea of DF for USN/IJN DDs is that it's not really a buff, but rather giving them more of role in the game.  They could use it since power creep has taken a toll.

Azumazi #76 Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:37 AM

Commander

• Alpha Tester

View Postgoldeagle1123, on 19 May 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

Akizuki still was an AA monster for a DD, it deserves DF if they're going to give Kidd DF. As for the main IJN DD line, they should get the Shiratsuyu's 5 second torp reload booster in it's own slot. That would make them competitive.

Should also be mentioned that during Operation Ten-Go, almost all of the Aircraft kills are credited to Suzutsuki and Fuyutsuki. Both of them being Akizuki class and the US after reports listed around 30 aircraft were damaged but recovered from engaging these two including the heavy damage done to Suzutsuki with HVAR rockets to the bow. The 25mm guns were crap, but the Type 98's were actually quite good. Roughly of the 29 aircraft recovered, many of them were no longer serviceable but since they were not downed during the engagement, only 10 are considered kills.

Yamato's older Type 89's had issues due to the suppression runs made against them and the fact they couldn't track nearly as fast as the Type 98's which made them still effective closer into the ships.

Japanese Ship Expert and Ship Design Architect schooled at the US Naval War College.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users