*sigh* That's why we BB players get such a bad name

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

scruffycavetroll #21 Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

So the other day I take the Yamato out. 

Entire game an Iowa & a Bismarck...A FREAKING BISMARCK sat in the I/J 8/9 boxes for most of the match. 

We lost because chicken crapBB players don't push....and a bismarck no less....a close range brawler sniping...yeah, I called them out. I in the Yamato had more reason to snipe then them. 

Umikami #22 Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostAltWeiss, on 19 May 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

I will add that I think that most players do not stick to a single ship type for every match so I am not sure "BB players" is a term that even makes sense.

I disagree with this opinion; I believe that players play many different types of ships until they find those that are most rewarding to their playstyle, then stick with that class or classes.

And I am absolutely positive I can generate you a list of Captains who are, by their own definitions, "BB Mains", and have no interest in playing different types of ships.

EmperorMaxwell #23 Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Alpha Tester

Ya'll bashing this New York for merely doing what 90% of BB players do from tier 8 and later. LoL. He's a bit early but it's never too early to practice. 

Umikami #24 Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostCapnCappy, on 19 May 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

Said he knew me from the forums but I've never seen him post here.

Cappy, I don't want to burst your bubble of stealth here or nuthin', but at this point in your posting career, pretty much EVERYONE knows you from the forum, as you are a very ... enthusiastic poster!

(and there ain't nuthin' wrong with that!)

Edited by Umikami, 19 May 2017 - 01:55 PM.

Kitsunelegend #25 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Its ok, not all BB captains are like that. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Spoiler

Spoiler

I is potato incarnate. I taste good with bacon. Fear my potato-yness! >=D

Bacon and coffee pleases teh kitsune -w- 

<a data-cke-saved-href='http://i.imgur.com/t3oH4sk.png' href='http://i.imgur.com/t3oH4sk.png' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t3oH4sk.png</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t...t3oH4sk.png</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t...4sk.png</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t...png</a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>

[Battleships:] Mikasa, South Carolina, Ishizuchi, Arkansas BetaImperator Nikolai I, TexasWarspite, Arizona, Dunkerque, New Mexico, Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, North Carolina, Alabama, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Iowa [Cruisers:] Erie, Albany, Emden, Aurora, Oleg, St Louis, KatoriYubari, Konigsburg, Marblehead, Omaha, Murmansk, ClevelandMolotov, Perth, Duca D'Aosta, Atlanta, Atago, Indianapolis, Prinz Eugen, Mikhail Kutuzov [Carriers:] Saipan [Destroyers:] Tachibana, SmithWickes, Clemson, Isokaze, Lo YangCampbeltownBlyskawicaSimsAnshan

Arpeggio ships: ARP Kongou, ARP Kirishima, ARP Hiei, ARP Ashigara, ARP Nachi, ARP Takao

TalonV #26 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:21 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Alpha Tester
  • Beta Testers

View PostEmperorMaxwell, on 19 May 2017 - 08:52 AM, said:

Ya'll bashing this New York for merely doing what 90% of BB players do from tier 8 and later. LoL. He's a bit early but it's never too early to practice. 

Well glad I am in that 10% that has more balls than brains.

​This isn't dueling pistols at dawn. This is war. In war you

never want to fight fair. You want to sneak up behind

the enemy, and bash him over the head.

MrDeaf #27 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:22 PM

Admiral

• Members

View PostKitsunelegend, on 19 May 2017 - 09:17 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

can confirm, player opens can of whoop [edited]

Now with more Youtube.

Subscribe to this thread for latest videos: http://forum.worldof...youtube-videos/

The Corgiolis Effect: When you notice you need more torpedoes on your ship

TalonV #28 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

Admiral of the Navy

• Alpha Tester
  • Beta Testers

Spoiler

Spoiler

One of these days, the fox and the wolf need to go a hunting.

​This isn't dueling pistols at dawn. This is war. In war you

never want to fight fair. You want to sneak up behind

the enemy, and bash him over the head.

Pope_Shizzle #29 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostBronco, on 19 May 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

Am I the only one to notice that this entire toxic chat exchange was initiated by the OP during a match in which they were winning handedly. OP, why did you feel the need to harass your fellow teammates in a clearly won battle? Cry wolf much??

Teachable moments come during both success and failure.

View PostBronco, on 19 May 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

No need to call them out like that though. Just let them be. They will obviously never learn.

People can't learn if nobody bothers to teach them.

Madwolf05 #30 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:37 PM

Commander

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostBronco, on 19 May 2017 - 07:44 AM, said:

Am I the only one to notice that this entire toxic chat exchange was initiated by the OP during a match in which they were winning handedly. OP, why did you feel the need to harass your fellow teammates in a clearly won battle? Cry wolf much??

Well, I noticed a few things myself:

1. The person who tried to provide helpful information to the New York in question wasn't the OP. 

2. The person who tried to provide helpful information did so at a time when the battle was surely won, as to provide the least negative experience possible.

3. USN BBs have great armor, and vertical dispersion that is better than the IJN under 12km, and better than the KM over 8km. 

4. The message delivered wasn't done with much malice

5. The response was both incredibly toxic in language, and displayed a clear ignorance to game mechanics. If he had listened to the other player he would enjoy better results and experience.

6. You've not only chastised the wrong person, but done it in an incredibly toxic and insightful way.

View PostPope_Shizzle, on 19 May 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

Exactly. You have to pick your spots and do it in a friendly way to get the best responses, band the recipient of the knowledge should response in kind. If Petyon Manning is giving a young kids tips on how to be a better QB, are we going to get angry at Peyton Manning or the kid if the kid tells Peyton Manning to "eff off?"

Spoiler

Spoiler

Bravo! Had a match in my Alabama yesterday where I did about 178k damage, 4 kills, and secured a victory with a Clan mate when it looked like a sure loss. BB games like that and yours are the most gratifying.

I challenge you to beat my 71k in a South Carolina! :3

Check out my Twitch Channel: HERE

CPU: Intel i7 3770K, MB: ASUS Maximus V, RAM: 16GB, GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7900

Treediagram #31 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:41 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostPope_Shizzle, on 19 May 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Yet even if you try to teach em they refuses to learn because "oooh let me play the game I want to. Stop criticizing me"

p.s. Treediagram: I named this after the mathematical one, not from To Aru series!

Eagerly waiting for RN and DKM CV Tech-Tree and CV Rebalance

CV Captains are also customers, in case you guys forgot it.

My AA DPS and Aerial Combat Calculator

Skpstr #32 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostBronco, on 19 May 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Am I the only one to notice that this entire toxic chat exchange was initiated by the OP..

I hope so, OP didn't participate in the exchange in the first place. :D

Frederick_The_Great #33 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:49 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostRivertheRoyal, on 19 May 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

Only 23.6km? 

No, this type of person will likely fit the range mod, and sit even further back. 

Camping in J10 is how i win all my battles.  Clearly they have the same idea.  Genius.

Peregrinas #34 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostPope_Shizzle, on 19 May 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

People can't learn if they are too stuck-up to take criticism.

Skpstr #35 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostTreediagram, on 19 May 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

Yet even if you try to teach em they refuses to learn because "oooh let me play the game I want to. Stop criticizing me"

I had a similar situation the other day, although we were losing. I wasn't toxic, but perhaps a bit sarcastic, but I basically informed him that you don't pay more if you get sunk, and you score better if you get closer and hit more.

Didn't get a response, but a little while later, I got a PM from him, thanking me very much for my explanation of something he didn't know, (and didn't know to wonder about) and saying that his next couple games had been much more fun and rewarding.

Bronco #36 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostMadwolf05, on 19 May 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

1. The person who tried to provide helpful information to the New York in question wasn't the OP. 

6. You've not only chastised the wrong person, but done it in an incredibly toxic and insightful way.

Two things: He's either is playing two accounts or he's name shaming. In either cases, both practices are shunned upon according to WG terms of use. I assumed the OP was playing an alt account rather than the latter since name shaming is the worst of the two evils. I believe the OP was out of line in either case and should not post such threads.

As far as my response being toxic, I will response in like fashion on every thread I see that shames another player for whatever he may have done, good or bad. It's not like any of us are innocent. We all made mistakes playing this game. 

Edited by Bronco, 19 May 2017 - 02:58 PM.

Wowzery #37 Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

Commander

• Members

I will admit, I stick the artillery plotting room mod on my NY to boost the range.  But then again, I know my game usually goes like this.  Snipe at the beginning as the battle shapes up.  Then try to close in and brawl.  Guess that's why I love the USN line so much, they do both.  I've deleted CA at max range and brawled German BBs up close in the same game.

For me, while its bad a USN is doing it, its not as bad as seeing a German BB stay at max range and snipe.  That player really has no idea how to play their ship.

Skpstr #38 Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostPeregrinas, on 19 May 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

People can't learn if they are too stuck-up to take criticism.

At the same time though, the way the criticism is delivered can drown out the message. 

A lot of people can take criticism, but if they think you're being an a-hole, they'll disregard you even if you're telling them what a good job they're doing.

Ideally, you'd criticise like a manager in a union shop, if they were being broadcast to all the employees, with a union rep in the room. Even then, as you say, some people just can't take criticism in the first place.

I know my reaction to being called out in a negative manner would be to lash out, although once I got over it, I would actually consider what was said.

Bronco #39 Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostWowzery, on 19 May 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

I will admit, I stick the artillery plotting room mod on my NY to boost the range.  But then again, I know my game usually goes like this.  Snipe at the beginning as the battle shapes up.  Then try to close in and brawl.  Guess that's why I love the USN line so much, they do both.  I've deleted CA at max range and brawled German BBs up close in the same game.

For me, while its bad a USN is doing it, its not as bad as seeing a German BB stay at max range and snipe.  That player really has no idea how to play their ship.

Good point. I usually play German BBs and I follow a similar pattern. Assist base caps from a distance by snipping any opposing CAs that are opposing the caps then move in into brawling distance to help defend the caps or overtake others once the position of all the ships are known. No sense going in early and over extending before a proper recon is complete. 

RivertheRoyal #40 Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:07 PM

Captain

• Members

View PostBronco, on 19 May 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

Two things: He's either is playing two accounts or he's name shaming. In either cases, both practices are shunned upon according to WG terms of use. I assumed the OP was playing an alt account rather than the latter since name shaming is the worst of the two evils. I believe the OP was out of line in either case and should not post such threads.

As far as my response being toxic, I will response in like fashion on every thread I see that shames another player for whatever he may have done, good or bad. It's not like any of us are innocent. We all made mistakes playing this game. 

Occam's razor. 

You're overthinking this whole thing. This is just something OP saw, and decided to comment on. So, the whole alt account thing is a little farfetched. 

As well, I don't believe anyone's being named and shamed here—which is when someone is purposefully singled out by username in order to accomplish an end which is harmful to a players reputation or mental well-being.

The focus of this thread is on the unnamed BB player, and not the one who called him out.

No, rather, the focus of this thread is on the practice some BB players have of sitting at their max range, and how some people don't listen. It's calling attention to those issues, and not the identity of the BB player, or the one who initially called him out on this practice.   

(Oh, and alt accounts are now allowed by WG, so there's that...)  

View PostWowzery, on 19 May 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Most people use that mod on the lower tiered USN BBs. It gives you a little more flexibility.

The problem, however, is when people then stick to that max range, and don't move any closer. As demonstrated in the OP.   

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users