Jump to content


Cruisers are weak


  • Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

Fog_Battleship_NCarolina #1 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

    Ensign

  • Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

  • 1,139
  • Member since:
    01-16-2013

I'm struggling to understand why people think cruisers are weak and battleships are overpowered. 

 

In a battleship your game is dominated by RNG, yet in cruisers you are the one controlling everything that happens. I don't understand why people think cruisers are weak when a battleship kills a cruiser that decided to go broadside. Most of them time a battleship shoots at a cruiser if the cruiser has any awareness it will take steps to minimize being hit. I think the big issue is people are idiots and don't know how to play cruisers, rather than battleships being overpowered.


 

PC Specs- Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080, i7 6700k @ 4.7ghz, 16gb 2400mhz GSkills Ripjaw Ram, Asus Z170 E, EVGA 650W Power supply, Corsair Carbide 400C, 240gb Hyper X ssd, 2 1TB WD Blacks, HBT artica 240 AOI


MattttChris #2 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:30 AM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 6
  • Member since:
    10-31-2015

Its because in a cruiser I can neither turn or go bow in without getting citadeled. Cruiser players don't like getting deleted just for turning. Yet BBs love it. There's little cruisers can do to prevent it either. 



m373x #3 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:33 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Members

  • 1,762
  • Member since:
    04-20-2016

View PostMattttChris, on 19 May 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

Its because in a cruiser I can neither turn or go bow in without getting citadeled. Cruiser players don't like getting deleted just for turning. Yet BBs love it. There's little cruisers can do to prevent it either. 

 

Like.. plan in advance?

Fog_Battleship_NCarolina #4 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:34 AM

    Ensign

  • Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

  • 1,139
  • Member since:
    01-16-2013

View PostMattttChris, on 19 May 2017 - 04:30 AM, said:

Its because in a cruiser I can neither turn or go bow in without getting citadeled. Cruiser players don't like getting deleted just for turning. Yet BBs love it. There's little cruisers can do to prevent it either. 

 

it helps to not turn broadside to a bb when you are spotted, just saying.

 

PC Specs- Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080, i7 6700k @ 4.7ghz, 16gb 2400mhz GSkills Ripjaw Ram, Asus Z170 E, EVGA 650W Power supply, Corsair Carbide 400C, 240gb Hyper X ssd, 2 1TB WD Blacks, HBT artica 240 AOI


_WaveRider_ #5 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

    Ensign

  • Members

  • 1,170
  • Member since:
    02-03-2017

I thought everyone was affected by RNG? Each class has its strengths and weaknesses.

 

 Why are you singling out Cruiser players? I've known each class to complain about something in the past.

 

I really do not understand these posts that are created merely to insult people. It would be great if some of those gifted with such great wisdom would attempt to give 'friendly' advice rather than call people idiots. :honoring:



MrDeaf #6 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:45 AM

    Admiral

  • Members

  • 10,978
  • Member since:
    07-16-2015

the difference is...

cruisers are strong when kiting

battleships are strong when charging


Subscribe to this Thread or Youtube for the latest videos.

The Corgiolis Effect: When you notice you need more torpedoes on your ship


CruiserQuincy #7 Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:19 AM

    Captain

  • Beta Testers

  • 4,913
  • Member since:
    04-27-2015
I'm not weak, just have a bit of a glass jaw and a bad tendency to explode

Canadatron #8 Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

    Commander

  • Members

  • 3,080
  • Member since:
    12-31-2015
Since you went purple your shitposting has reached a fever pitch. Congrats you found "the next level".
-={FOG}=- Community Member

Taichunger #9 Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

    Captain

  • Members

  • 4,433
  • Member since:
    06-21-2015
Cruisers are weak? I'm so sick of the wildly OP Minotaur, I just want to exit the match every time I see one. 

----------

Still needed: (1) a NO CV button for the MM (2) Remove Shatter (3) a button for demounting all flags (4) the icon in the status bar to signal someone wants to div/chat with you


TalonV #10 Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

    Admiral of the Navy

  • Alpha Tester
  • Beta Testers

  • 27,504
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

View PostTaichunger, on 19 May 2017 - 05:20 AM, said:

Cruisers are weak? I'm so sick of the wildly OP Minotaur, I just want to exit the match every time I see one. 

 

Just hit the thing, watch stuff break. About 2 shot one with a Bismarck one fine day, and my secondaries blew about 10k more off him before he ducked behind a mountain.

 

​This isn't dueling pistols at dawn. This is war. In war you

never want to fight fair. You want to sneak up behind

the enemy, and bash him over the head.


Taylor3006 #11 Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

    Ensign

  • Members

  • 1,146
  • Member since:
    07-10-2016

View PostFog_Battleship_NCarolina, on 19 May 2017 - 02:34 AM, said:

 

it helps to not turn broadside to a bb when you are spotted, just saying.

 

Sounds great, just have them remove the rocks from the maps and we are good.... Sometimes you HAVE to turn while spotted either avoiding torpedoes, avoiding another battleship, or avoiding stupid rocks, etc. I think pretty much everyone knows not to turn broadside to anyone but it happens and will continue to happen. Honestly I see more BBs turning broadsides to other BBs than cruisers purposely doing that. Often a cruiser is just sailing around, minding his own business, gets spotted by planes or a DD and some silly BB takes a pot shot at them. Often times you have no clue from which direction you are being spotted from, how do you not show your broadsides then? Sometimes you are caught in a crescent of enemy ships being fired at from 3 sides, kinda hard not to have a broadside to at least one of them. Not showing broadsides is great general advice but in game, it does not always work out, sometimes thru no fault of the human captain.

Xenomancers #12 Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:52 AM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,286
  • Member since:
    07-14-2015

View PostTalonV, on 19 May 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

 

Just hit the thing, watch stuff break. About 2 shot one with a Bismarck one fine day, and my secondaries blew about 10k more off him before he ducked behind a mountain.

 


"Nevermind about maneuvers, go straight at 'em" - Lord Nelson


CylonRed #13 Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

    Lieutenant Junior Grade

  • Members

  • 1,344
  • Member since:
    10-19-2015

View Postm373x, on 19 May 2017 - 03:33 AM, said:

 

Like.. plan in advance?

 

Rather difficult when so many DD/CVs do not spot and most of the team lemmings to one side and you are on the weak side in a standard game.  Red ships have a tendency to suddenly popup.

 

As Taylor states - many times you have to turn for one reason or another.  I like the idea no not going broadside but reality is - it very rarely happens.  Heck - how many times have there been no ships on my screen when I suddenly get shots from the side?  About half the time.



RogueFlameHaze #14 Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

    Vice Admiral

  • Beta Testers

  • 9,932
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

Cruisers are best at kiting, expecially in bb heavy games. The issue with this is that when you kite away from bbs, your own bbs or dds will complain that you arent supporting them enough. Which makes you turn in and try to bow tank or dodge bb shells, leading to your death.

 

At least that seems like a cruisers life


[-K-] Kraken

 

Newest video- Opinions Changed - World of Warships: Z-46 Gameplay

https://www.youtube....h?v=a3I15PFgccQ


TalonV #15 Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:10 PM

    Admiral of the Navy

  • Alpha Tester
  • Beta Testers

  • 27,504
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

View PostXenomancers, on 19 May 2017 - 06:52 AM, said:

 


 

​This isn't dueling pistols at dawn. This is war. In war you

never want to fight fair. You want to sneak up behind

the enemy, and bash him over the head.


TalonV #16 Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:13 PM

    Admiral of the Navy

  • Alpha Tester
  • Beta Testers

  • 27,504
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

View PostNyachi, on 19 May 2017 - 07:09 AM, said:

Cruisers are best at kiting, expecially in bb heavy games. The issue with this is that when you kite away from bbs, your own bbs or dds will complain that you arent supporting them enough. Which makes you turn in and try to bow tank or dodge bb shells, leading to your death.

 

At least that seems like a cruisers life

Aye, tis a cruiser's life. Trying to balance staying alive with the demands of a team.

View PostCylonRed, on 19 May 2017 - 07:04 AM, said:

 

Rather difficult when so many DD/CVs do not spot and most of the team lemmings to one side and you are on the weak side in a standard game.  Red ships have a tendency to suddenly popup.

 

As Taylor states - many times you have to turn for one reason or another.  I like the idea no not going broadside but reality is - it very rarely happens.  Heck - how many times have there been no ships on my screen when I suddenly get shots from the side?  About half the time.

Yeah never fails, I'm juking, jiving, fighting it out with a few enemy ships, then all of a sudden half my health is gone from a direction I wasn't paying attention to and didn't know anyone was there and then all of a sudden it's a damn Fuso who just tore half my health off my Spee or Duca.


 

​This isn't dueling pistols at dawn. This is war. In war you

never want to fight fair. You want to sneak up behind

the enemy, and bash him over the head.


Cobraclutch #17 Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:27 PM

    Commander

  • Beta Testers

  • 3,347
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

View PostFog_Battleship_NCarolina, on 19 May 2017 - 03:21 AM, said:

I'm struggling to understand why people think cruisers are weak and battleships are overpowered. 

 

In a battleship your game is dominated by RNG, yet in cruisers you are the one controlling everything that happens. I don't understand why people think cruisers are weak when a battleship kills a cruiser that decided to go broadside. Most of them time a battleship shoots at a cruiser if the cruiser has any awareness it will take steps to minimize being hit. I think the big issue is people are idiots and don't know how to play cruisers, rather than battleships being overpowered.

 

You may find my opinion unique and not shared by others in the community. 

 

But IMHO I believe cruisers are the strongest class at Tier  X atm. 

 

1. Cruisers

2. BB

3. DD

 

This is why I am grinding up multiple different cruiser lines (Hind / Min and DM ) 



Bril01 #18 Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:38 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Beta Testers

  • 709
  • Member since:
    05-25-2015
The biggest cause of "CAs are weak" is the simple fact you have almost no room for error.  In my BB I can make a massive mistake and not only survive but a repair party or two later and I am back in fighting shape.  You make a similar mistake in a CA and you will land yourself at the port screen before you even know what the hell happened.   And this whole "don't get caught broadside" thing is total [edited], with on average 4 BBs a match, their firing range and the asinine way spotting works you have a very high chance that some BB is going to be able to see your side.

Edited by Bril01, 19 May 2017 - 12:38 PM.


Taylor3006 #19 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:10 PM

    Ensign

  • Members

  • 1,146
  • Member since:
    07-10-2016

View PostBril01, on 19 May 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

The biggest cause of "CAs are weak" is the simple fact you have almost no room for error.  In my BB I can make a massive mistake and not only survive but a repair party or two later and I am back in fighting shape.  You make a similar mistake in a CA and you will land yourself at the port screen before you even know what the hell happened.   And this whole "don't get caught broadside" thing is total [edited], with on average 4 BBs a match, their firing range and the asinine way spotting works you have a very high chance that some BB is going to be able to see your side.

 

Well said Bril. I love cruisers more than the other ship lines. The guns are usually good enough to engage targets, you are fast enough to respond to threats or to exploit weaknesses, usually got "cool stuff" like hydro, defensive AA, speed boost, etc and most are pretty nimble. I have enjoyed playing all but two so far, the Chester (for obvious Chester reasons), and the Aoba which I just can not do well in even in Co-op. IMHO both are pretty miserable. Many are just "not bad" but there are so many gems in the tech tree bunch as well as premiums. Cruisers are not weak, they are fragile but not weak. They can dish out damage with the best of them, they just don't respond well to taking damage. IMHO the "weak cruiser" myth is because they just get deleted by a few shots when played poorly, however recently with the new +2/-2 matchmaking things have changed. Cruisers do not up tier well against BBs for sure (duh) but especially against other cruisers. Heck even tier 9 and 10 DDs are not afraid of my Atago, they just rain AP on me and laugh while I wait for my guns to reload. I always dread seeing a Minotaur on the other team because I know it is just going to be one long line of AP rounds headed at me from smoke. You can not push forward to support the DDs because the upper tier CA's and BB's will annihilate you, you can't stay back with the BB's because you don't have the range to engage so the best you can do is hide behind a rock and hope to get an ambush. Not very fun at all. You can try fighting bow on but the rate of fire from the upper tier ships will just do you in before you can retaliate much. Running away at an angle is about the only way to do it, unfortunately that isn't a very helpful strategy unless you need to run away. Smarter players won't chase you very long, dumb ones always think they can get you until you finally smack them with one of the torpedoes you have been tossing their way and sink their burned down carcass of a ship. Sorry about the ramble, anyways those are my thoughts.

Xenomancers #20 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Members

  • 2,286
  • Member since:
    07-14-2015

View PostCobraclutch, on 19 May 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

 

You may find my opinion unique and not shared by others in the community. 

 

But IMHO I believe cruisers are the strongest class at Tier  X atm. 

 

1. Cruisers

2. BB

3. DD

 

This is why I am grinding up multiple different cruiser lines (Hind / Min and DM ) 

Moskva and Zao really don't fear battleships so much because they can effectively outtrade BB's at max range. Moskva can even tank BB's bow on a lot of times. Des Moines obliterate parked BB's if they have something to shoot over - and Hindy is kinda like Moskva but maybe not as good. t10 crusiers are great though. Still though I wouldn't call them > battleships. Nothing kills battleships like a battleship - and if you have more battleships come mid game - enemy crusiers are in a lot of trouble. Because when taking fire from multiple battleships - cruisers tend to get crushed.


"Nevermind about maneuvers, go straight at 'em" - Lord Nelson





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users