Two tankers making the switch, could use some advice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

TorpedoSponge #1 Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:58 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Hello all, found some very useful topics here giving me a general idea of how each nation and warship line plays and what to expect with each, but I have a few questions, and could use the advice.

Being former tankers, my buddy and I are addicted to WoS now. Just bought my first tier 4 today. We both know that teamwork is often better than having mad skillz, and try to play accordingly. Problem is, I am not quite sure what kind of support is considered the most valuable. 

I am looking forward to playing as a carrier, but right now I'm having fun playing with anything. But if you were playing a battleship, what warship, or nationality, would you want defending/supporting you?

My friend is a battleship guy, but he's pulling his hair out when faced with torpedoes and torpedo planes. If you were to suggest a battleship that has good torpedo defense and strong AA, which would you pick?

And lastly, what are the strengths of each carrier line and how should you use them? 

AquaSquirrel #2 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:27 AM

Ensign

• Members

I would recommend the IJN CV tree, it is far more flexible then the USN one.  

The US and German BB's have the best AA, the Premium Texas is monstrous at AA and all the T8 and up USN BB's are so potent that many CV's wont strike them until later int the match. 

Formerly OliverPerry 

Kapitanleutnant_Ford #3 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:44 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

As far as a BB line. German. They are all around good. Great secondaries, good AA, tanky. The guns are not the most accurate, but since they are kinda close/mid range brawlers, the low accuracy is less of a problem. And the t7 has torps, which are a lot of fun. 

Dealing with torps is just something you have to learn, if you start turning after you see the torps... your probably too late. Have to learn to anticipate were the DDs are and when the torps are coming. Alternating direction and speed will help make you a harder target, and turning preemptively when your torpedo senses start tingling.  The best way to learn how to survive and avoid torps from pesky DDs is.. to learn to play DDs. Play DDs learn the torp tactics, the strategies and the difficulties from a DDs perspective and that will help when your behind the wheel of your BB.

Hope you find something useful here, welcome to the game and the forum. 

Stats

Estimated_Prophet #4 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:57 AM

Commander

• Members

View PostTorpedoSponge, on 18 May 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

Being former tankers, my buddy and I are addicted to WoS now. Just bought my first tier 4 today. We both know that teamwork is often better than having mad skillz, and try to play accordingly. Problem is, I am not quite sure what kind of support is considered the most valuable. 

If you're looking for and absorbing information (the forum/youtube,) then you're already on the right track. (My aiming really stank until I saw a vid about it on youtube, and my battleship survival improved greatly after heading the advice of a fellow forum poster.)

Vision is everything. Anything that can give your team a vision advantage is the best initial support; allowing for better positioning before the fight starts.

So much more about support... Best to just play games and learn by experience, watch and read.

I am looking forward to playing as a carrier, but right now I'm having fun playing with anything. But if you were playing a battleship, what warship, or nationality, would you want defending/supporting you?

In lower tiers; any fast destroyer to scout/spot, or a fast-firing cruiser to kill enemy destroyers and annoy/set fire to everything else.

A destroyer like Isokaze can hurt things before they get close; something like Clemson is good support at closer ranges against multiple targets. A cruiser like St Louis is slow and tough support, something like Bagatyr more fragile but faster firing support.

More than ship or nationality; I want a destroyer or cruiser driver who knows what the heck they're doing as support.

My friend is a battleship guy, but he's pulling his hair out when faced with torpedoes and torpedo planes. If you were to suggest a battleship that has good torpedo defense and strong AA, which would you pick?

Best battleship AA at tier four when fully upgraded, Basic Firing Training and Advanced Firing Traing, with the auxiliary weapons modules a bit optional, (in my experience) is Wyoming. The German battleships are tougher, but to me Wyoming's AA performs better.

All kind of things that can make one battleship better than another, but a lot of that also boils down to player experience.

Of course; the best defense against air attack is not getting hit in the first place. Make sure to manuever to defeat the attack; (usually turning into a torpedo squadron BEFORE it drops,) make sure to focus-fire you AA, (ctrl/rt-click on air squad,) and as far as possible, try not to take a torpedo hit below a turret, to reduce detonation chances.

At low tiers there is no perfect defense against a determined air attack; you WILL get hit. All you can do is make it as hard as possible for the CV driver to get off a perfect attack. (Sailing in a straight line is begging for a CV (or a destroyer/cruiser,) to send you some torpedoes.)

And lastly, what are the strengths of each carrier line and how should you use them? 

USN carriers have tougher squadrons, IJN squadrons are more fragile.

USN squads are slower to reload, but can produce more damage in a single strike, IJN squadrons reload faster, but do less damage in a single strike, and due to more torpedo squads, can make it harder to dodge torpedoes by droping at opposite angles to a target, ('Hammer and Anvil/Cross-Drop.')

USN fighters in low tier should murder anything IJN, but that is also a matter of experience, and learning not to dogfight over enemy ships.

IJN fighters are there to occupy the USN fighters so your bombers can attack. If they get left alone? Then go kill bomber and spotting planes.

Mind you; the above is presuming a USN vs IJN matchup. USN vs USN and IJN vs IJN area whole different ball game.

Also; 'Strafe,' where fighter can mow down bombers and each other, is added at tier 6, (along with manual drops for bombers and torpedo bombers, but that's for later.)

Best general advice is to play BOTH carrier lines in co-op until you feel confident in using the controls, and also so you can get a feel for the strengths and weaknesses of both lines.

As one last bit; there MAY be a carrier rework later this year, so keep that in mind when playing carriers.

If they wind up frustrating you, then just play them in co-op; just to keep a minimum level of skill/experience in them; and because the smaller teams make them easier to use. (There is also 'frustration by bot,' but that's another conversation.)

View PostAquaSquirrel, on 18 May 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

The US and German BB's have the best AA, the Premium Texas is monstrous at AA and all the T8 and up USN BB's are so potent that many CV's wont strike them until later int the match. 

Forgot about Texas. In the T4 carriers, (Langley, Hosho,) STAY AWAY from an enemy Texas, it will eat your squadrons alive; conversely; if fighters are chasing your bombers; then fly over an allied Texas if you have one to get them scraped off. The T5 carriers, (Bogue, Zuiho,) have less trouble with Texas, but can still get hammered hard if they linger in Texas' range too long.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet, 19 May 2017 - 03:08 AM.

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

TorpedoSponge #5 Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:14 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Thank you for taking the time to write out these responses, especially yours, Estimated Prophet. Sounds like carriers are more complex than I was preparing for, but I like learning the technical aspects and tactics of these games. 

-TorpSponge

SgtSullyC3 #6 Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

Ensign

• Members

I also joined for the carriers, ended up playing a nice mix of all classes. I recommend playing the IJN carriers, at T7+ they absolutely stomp every US CV except for Saipan.

T1-3: Erie, Smith, Derski, G-101, Katori, St. Louis, Bogatyr, Friant, South Carolina

T4-6: Izyaslav, Clemson, Danae, Yūbari, Kaiser, Kamikaze, Königsberg, Omaha, Kongo, Bogue, Duca D'Aosta, Cleveland, Aoba, Perth, Ryujo

T7-9: Shiratsuyu, Sims, Mahan, Atlanta, Belfast (gift from YureiKuma), Ranger, Saipan, New Orleans, North Carolina, Alabama, Lexington, Iowa, Missouri

GoalsIJN: Hiryu, Mogami - USN: Benson, Baltimore, Essex - KMS: T-22, Gneisenau - HMS: Leander, Fiji - VMF: Podvoisky, Budyonny - MN: Duguay-Trouin, La Galissonnière

TorpedoSponge #7 Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I'm going to eventually try both carrier types, but I just got my first jap cruiser a few minutes ago, and was a bit disappointed to see there is no manual drop? I read on another forum post that you cannot manual drop until tier 6. Not sure if I like the forced training wheels. I'm ready to learn how to actually play the carriers, not be subject to two whole tiers of kid-mode.

RivertheRoyal #8 Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

Captain

• Members

View PostTorpedoSponge, on 21 May 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

I'm going to eventually try both carrier types, but I just got my first jap cruiser a few minutes ago, and was a bit disappointed to see there is no manual drop? I read on another forum post that you cannot manual drop until tier 6. Not sure if I like the forced training wheels. I'm ready to learn how to actually play the carriers, not be subject to two whole tiers of kid-mode.

Those training wheels are more for the experienced WoWs players than the new guys.

You see, there were quite a few CV players who were dropping down to T4&5 in order to seal club, and they were able to murder everything with very little preamble. The removal of strafe and manual drops from the lower tiered CVs is meant to level the playing field somewhat, and discourage such behaviour. 

In reality though, very few people liked the change.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users