Also, thanks from a poor young adult.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Skpstr #41 Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostAbo89, on 19 May 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

Yea, I'm really looking forward to it. I'm gonna try to use it to grind through the entire USN line...

I hope you mean just grinding the captain for retraining.

If you actually try to grind the ships themselves, you'll be spending a lot of money to convert XP.

If you grind the captain when you AREN'T retraining, every game you play is a game not grinding new ships. (unless again, you're spending money to convert XP. Just to give an example, converting XP to go from a Tier 5 ship to a Tier 6 will cost you about 1400 doubloons.

The other issue is, if you're using the Sims to grind a US BB captain, you're playing a DD using a BB skill set. So you won't have Last Stand, the skill that gives more HP, or anything to do with torpedoes, for starters.

Abo89 #42 Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostSkpstr, on 19 May 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

I hope you mean just grinding the captain for retraining.

If you actually try to grind the ships themselves, you'll be spending a lot of money to convert XP.

If you grind the captain when you AREN'T retraining, every game you play is a game not grinding new ships. (unless again, you're spending money to convert XP. Just to give an example, converting XP to go from a Tier 5 ship to a Tier 6 will cost you about 1400 doubloons.

The other issue is, if you're using the Sims to grind a US BB captain, you're playing a DD using a BB skill set. So you won't have Last Stand, the skill that gives more HP, or anything to do with torpedoes, for starters.

I do mean just captains. Honestly I do well "enough" with 0 point captains so I'm not worried about having certain skills. Obviously, my highest tier ship before the sims was my Farragut so I've only gotten up to mid tiers. I have yet until recently used last stand so I've learned to live even without that. I know it will be hard, but I only need to do one for each line and I'll just move him between the ships in each class. 

It's funny cause I literally don't use any of of the skills you just mentioned lol.

Edited by Abo89, 19 May 2017 - 03:55 PM.

m373x #43 Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

When I first came to WoWs I was amazed how friendly and nice the community is. People in-game were very polite and helping which was something I haven't seen elsewhere before. This thread just brings out those memories and warms my heart. 

Skpstr #44 Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:11 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostAbo89, on 19 May 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

I do mean just captains. Honestly I do well "enough" with 0 point captains so I'm not worried about having certain skills. Obviously, my highest tier ship before the sims was my Farragut so I've only gotten up to mid tiers. I have yet until recently used last stand so I've learned to live even without that. I know it will be hard, but I only need to do one for each line and I'll just move him between the ships in each class. 

It's funny cause I literally don't use any of of the skills you just mentioned lol.

Lol fair enough, was just the way I read it. You'll probably do more than one captain per line though, as you'll probably run into ships along the way you want to keep. For example, I've used Graf Spee to not only retrain my captain moving from Gneis to Bis and Yorck to Hipper, but to move captains from Konig to Bayern, Bayern to Gneis, and Konigsberg to Yorck.

I just used those skills as examples, I don't play a lot of DD myself. Although AFAIK, LS is pretty much a must-have for DDs, and a lot use the extra HP skill. I use Torp Acceleration on my Mahan, because I'm used to not launching torps from concealment, and faster torps help.

Skpstr #45 Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View Postm373x, on 19 May 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

When I first came to WoWs I was amazed how friendly and nice the community is. People in-game were very polite and helping which was something I haven't seen elsewhere before. This thread just brings out those memories and warms my heart. 

Yup, this thread is a perfect example of how the OP sets the tone for the entire discussion.

CaptnAndy #46 Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

As a Senior Senior (1944 model), my funds for this game are also limited. Since CBT the only Premium ship I have bought is the Terp. I can afford Premium most months, and it does increase my progress. However, I will still play even if I can no longer buy Premium because I'm a history buff, and I enjoy playing with a wide range of people of all ages.

The other night I was in a Division with two college age clan mates. They lived 100's of miles apart and didn't  know each other, but they were both car guys. Their discussion brought me back to the late 50's when most guys their age were crazy about cars. That's not common today, and I enjoyed it, even though my reference was big V-8's and replacing stock mufflers with burnt out glass-packs, while they were interested in high revving V6s with turbochargers.

A worn out knee,  a backlog of unfinished books, and a single car for me and grandma, limit my outside activities. The two hours I spend in-game each night has opened a group of friends from all over that I value. While there are some toxic players, they are a much smaller percentage than I saw in WOT or Navy Field. Being a part of a Clan that does not tolerate that kind of behavior helps a lot.

I'll stop rambling now, but I want to say thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. ABO89, I'm on every evening between 2100 and 2300 PST. I'll be happy to Division with you anytime if you don't mind playing with an old guy with a perpetual 42% win rate, and who has been known to ramble.

A,G. Kimbrough, Author/Publisher of BB-39, on Amazon now.

CaptGodzillaPig #47 Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:25 PM

Ensign

• Members

CaptnAndy and Abo..  Check your accounts or account emails. 
Every corpse on Mt Everest used to be a highly motivated person....

CaptGodzillaPig #48 Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:29 PM

Ensign

• Members

View PostAbo89, on 19 May 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:

Well I like your enthusiasm, but for the love of god please train those commanders.  :)   Check your account.  Sent you a little something to help with that.

Abo89 #49 Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostCaptnAndy, on 19 May 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

As a Senior Senior (1944 model), my funds for this game are also limited. Since CBT the only Premium ship I have bought is the Terp. I can afford Premium most months, and it does increase my progress. However, I will still play even if I can no longer buy Premium because I'm a history buff, and I enjoy playing with a wide range of people of all ages.

The other night I was in a Division with two college age clan mates. They lived 100's of miles apart and didn't  know each other, but they were both car guys. Their discussion brought me back to the late 50's when most guys their age were crazy about cars. That's not common today, and I enjoyed it, even though my reference was big V-8's and replacing stock mufflers with burnt out glass-packs, while they were interested in high revving V6s with turbochargers.

A worn out knee,  a backlog of unfinished books, and a single car for me and grandma, limit my outside activities. The two hours I spend in-game each night has opened a group of friends from all over that I value. While there are some toxic players, they are a much smaller percentage than I saw in WOT or Navy Field. Being a part of a Clan that does not tolerate that kind of behavior helps a lot.

I'll stop rambling now, but I want to say thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. ABO89, I'm on every evening between 2100 and 2300 PST. I'll be happy to Division with you anytime if you don't mind playing with an old guy with a perpetual 42% win rate, and who has been known to ramble.

Thanks for sharing Captn. I def will look you up at least on the weekends. Btw, some of us 20 year olds still love V-8 superchargers lol.

Hiroe #50 Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:23 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

I'm sure someone in your family has a credit card..

"A person hears only what he understands." - Goethe

Rilak #51 Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

just wanted to give props and salutes to all the guys in this thread and the very generous gifts they are giving to other players.

SUPER COOL ! keep it up ! great bunch we have here in ships !

Abo89 #52 Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostHiroe, on 19 May 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

I'm sure someone in your family has a credit card..

Nope we are from the third world. We only have cash, no plastic. 

CaptGodzillaPig #53 Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:43 PM

Ensign

• Members

View PostAbo89, on 19 May 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

Thanks for sharing Captn. I def will look you up at least on the weekends. Btw, some of us 20 year olds still love V-8 superchargers lol.

Hey I grew up building 350's and had the very special pleasure one time of helping do 426 Hemi for a local drag strip hero.   I didn't do much much but hand bolts and tools to guys, but it was a blast watching them build and tune it.

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig, 19 May 2017 - 11:44 PM.

DeadMeat_015 #54 Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:54 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostAbo89, on 18 May 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

As someone still struggling to find that career job. I wanna thank all who use premium so broke blokes like me can play. Y'all the real MVPs, even if I think y all crazy paying so much for a single ship.

Paris Hilton has a solution for ya

Spoiler

CaptGodzillaPig #55 Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:43 AM

Ensign

• Members

View PostDeadMeat_015, on 19 May 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

Paris Hilton has a solution for ya

Spoiler

Yeah dude..   You're a shithead.   Ban me for saying it.  You are a classless [edited].   Oh wait.   F   U  C  K  T  A  R  D....   If that ship in your profile was one you served on.  I am [edited]ashamed to say I was in the same navy as you.   What a [edited]tool.

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig, 20 May 2017 - 12:53 AM.

Abo89 #56 Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostCaptGodzillaPig, on 19 May 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

Yeah dude..   You're a shithead.   Ban me for saying it.  You are a classless [edited].   Oh wait.   F   U  C  K  T  A  R  D....

I'm gonna go with he was making a real joke. It's Ok good.

DeadMeat_015 #57 Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:52 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostCaptGodzillaPig, on 19 May 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

Yeah dude..   You're a shithead.   Ban me for saying it.  You are a classless [edited].   Oh wait.   F   U  C  K  T  A  R  D....

View PostAbo89, on 19 May 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

I'm gonna go with he was making a real joke. It's Ok good.

Sorry, was meant as a joke. Thought it was obvious sarcasm, and apparently it wasn't. My apologies 

CaptGodzillaPig #58 Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:56 AM

Ensign

• Members

Well I am all one for sarcasm..  If I missed it then my bad..  And joke's on me if it went over my head.    Didn't;t really seem that way though..

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig, 20 May 2017 - 12:57 AM.

CaptnAndy #59 Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:59 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Class apology on both sides. Damn Well Done!
A,G. Kimbrough, Author/Publisher of BB-39, on Amazon now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users