A tiny experiment. Want to play tier 8? Get matched against tier Xs in 11/11 games

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

CaptGodzillaPig #61 Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:09 PM

Ensign

• Members

Flip side.  Been running the Bis all morning to ruin the moral of all the Hood drivers, and haven't seen a T10 yet.
Every corpse on Mt Everest used to be a highly motivated person....

gurudennis #62 Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:46 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

View PostNashW8, on 18 May 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

Being top tier is not always what it's cracked up to be. You carry more responsibility to win the match and naturally some poor decision or an unfortunate spread of torps from some up-tiered wannabe curtails your ambitions. I'd rather be up-tiered and surpass expectations. 

Depends on how confident you are that you can consistently perform, I suppose.

All views and opinions expressed herein, whether express or implied, are not intended to violate or otherwise contradict the rules and regulations of this forum and shall not be construed as offensive, disrespectful or contrarian to any present or past participants of this discussion thread, forum moderators or their affiliates. The author assumes no responsibility for any adverse effects on other participants' mental state, faculties or health condition resulting from reading the aforementioned message. Read at your own risk.

Frederick_The_Great #63 Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

i still stand by tier 8 being the worse tier behind tier 6.  most of my tier 8s WR is meh at best but you can still do ok, as long as you dont derp or get stuck on a bunch of bad teams,

I had the NC at 55-58% through 100 games, then it went downhill on the last grind to the iowa, dropping below 50%.(i was on a lot of really dumb teams the last week or 2 i had it)   most of those matches were in tier 9 or 10 matches.  i was rarely top tier.  and i did all that without buying any upgrades for the ship after researching them(so really just the hull upgrade, as range upgrade is a waste).  didn't have the credits to spend or those credits were meant for other ship lines.(no prem time or prem ships)

my benson, which was my first tier 8, was constantly in tier 9 and 10 matches. that was 49% WR, coming down from the 66% i had in the mahan.(and that was before the captain skill changes, mainly without CE) granted, i was also trying to get use to the "different" play style that tier 9 and 10 matches are/were.

The NO is another 49% with a similar story to the above.  This was mainly before the reload buff, but i never got to experience the NO after the concealment buff(which sounds great) as i was already at the balti. 

the lexington... well idk about it. 40 odd %  WR.  lots of tier 10 matches where your planes get vaporized without you knowing they were being fired at until they drop or just high loses.  i actually haven't been doing too bad after getting off the awful 1/1/1 loadout. in fact, if i wasn't so stubborn one day where i just kept playing and playing and losing something like 10-15 matches in a row, my WR would be good and probably above 50%.  about a 1/3 of those matches were being out played, or just out done thanks to the poor starting loadout.  quite a few of my matches that i lost weren't because the enemy CV outplayed me.  I normally shut them down, or slowed them down my teams AA could do the rest. quite a few matches i am confident i out damaged them or at least did the same amount they did.(even against IJN CVs) their strikes didn't get through, or the one or 2 bomb hits they got just weren't enough.    now don't get me wrong, i am average at CVs imo.(50% roughly across the board)  i guess the other issue is that the lex is so large that it can be seen from the enemy spawn, or their side of the caps depending on the map.  which means i have to pull way back or suffer the "its a CV, drop everything and shoot it!" syndrome.  the other option is to go forward and find some island to hide behind and stay close to the fight which is very risky, and sometimes not even doable depending on the map and spawn.  just another advantage the IJN CVs have on top of their faster load times on their squadrons. 

i am currently above 50% in my Bis.  granted, the bis, as all german BBs are, are easy to play.  Not to mention all the other neat stuff the bis gets over the gnies.  its nice knowing you cant be deleted like every other ship in the game.

tier 9 on the other hand is all above 50% WR.(i think 55% on all my tier 9s)  not being bottom tier seemingly all the time, on top of other perks(like better ships and another module) helps. 

KaptainKaybe #64 Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostSkpstr, on 18 May 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

True. I had forgotten about the heal. I know it sure makes a difference when I play Leander or Spee.

It's one of the reasons why I love the Spee. She is MUCH more durable than other cruisers at her tier. When I fight other cruisers with her, there's really only way that will end.

UltimateNewbie #65 Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:51 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Personally, I don't mind getting up tiered in my Leander - it provides an opportunity for higher XP from damaging tier 8 battleships. This is fortunate, because I am up tiered almost all of the time. 

Obligatory stats...

Stats

boxtosser #66 Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:30 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostHornethappy, on 18 May 2017 - 02:41 AM, said:

That's great advice for anyone grinding through tiers 5 or 8.

Or for those who use some of the many, many tier 5 or tier 8 premium ships, that they paid real money for, for credit/convertible XP farming.

icehaddock #67 Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:27 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

Very interesting read.  

I now finally understand what has been that causing nagging feeling throughout winter as I finally reached tier 8 in my cruisers 

I'm cruiser captain almost 70 percent of the time I have Japan us German and Russia tier 8 cruisers now

The worth possible match in game today is to play stock tier 8 cruiser

Mahrs #68 Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

Ensign

• Members

I concur with many points:

1. Tier VIII ships are primarily nothing but an obstacle on the way to Tier X. The desire to avoid playing these ships in Tier X matches is quite strong. If the choice is to play a Tier X match in Hindenburg or Khabarovsk versus the exact same matchmaking in a Tier VIII... Well, that's an easy choice

2. Tier VII I regard this as a dumping ground for unappealing ships, generally. Good MM? Not good enough.

I suppose that's all part of the plan... Spend the money on converting to free exp, skip the pain.

Essayons et Faissons!

All the Way!

Skpstr #69 Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:26 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostKaptainKaybe, on 18 May 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

It's one of the reasons why I love the Spee. She is MUCH more durable than other cruisers at her tier. When I fight other cruisers with her, there's really only way that will end.

One thing I like about the Spee is that it makes a good trainer for BB captains as well as CA captains, as a lot of the BB skills suit her better than they would another premium CL/CA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users