Jump to content


Age of Steel Miniatures game and Copyright.


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Avrik #1 Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:57 AM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 7
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

Hello all!

 

I do not post on these forums very often but I am an avid Wargaming.net player with many hours invested in World of Warships. This game has inspired me to create my own table top miniatures game with a World War 2 Theme. I have been doing countless game testing, design and production so far and am hitting that point where I need to start thinking about production, Kickstarter and how to get this game out to the public. Of course, I still have a ways to go and I have a lot of graphic and design to put through the game, but finding fantastic pictures of ships to use for the game has been quite problematic. I have taken screenshots and edited them, changing them and giving them their own design, but these screenshots are from World of Warships, there is no better place to acquire accurate images of warships in many different forms in a three-dimensional form. That being said, as I move forward, I want to make sure that I am not stepping on any toes and at the very least I am giving credit to the incredible artists and 3D modelers over at Wargaming.net. I suppose this is the first time I have mentioned my wargaming project to the public and would like some assistance. How do I proceed? Wargaming.net, could you respond to this post if possible? I will attach the cover of the rule-book using a screenshot from World Of Warships to show what I am talking about.

 

Thank you!

Attached Files

  • Attached File   Ageofsteelrulebookcover2.jpg   250.23K

Edited by Avrik, 18 May 2017 - 04:05 AM.


Doors_The_Dwarf #2 Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:45 AM

    Master Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 207
  • Member since:
    10-03-2012

Mmmmmmmmmm seems very interesting, how would such a game play? Similar to battlefleet gothic or the star wars x-wing table top game?

 


DIVE MEN! But sir we can dodge the incoming torpedoes easily and....SEAMAN RECRUIT I SAID DIVE! But...DIIIIIVE!!!!


 


Avrik #3 Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:55 AM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 7
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

It's similar to both actually. I can share the current rules with the forum.

 

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing



DerKrampus #4 Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:26 AM

    Ensign

  • Members

  • 952
  • Member since:
    07-01-2015
Hmm...  I like it!

 


Avrik #5 Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 7
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

Thanks, for those who are going to read the rules, please give me some feedback.

 

And Wargaming.net, if you see this, please respond! I would love to know your guys feelings on screenshots being used as art!



Pigeon_of_War #6 Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:57 PM

    Assistant Producer

  • Developers

  • 595
  • Member since:
    10-21-2013

View PostAvrik, on 17 May 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

And Wargaming.net, if you see this, please respond! I would love to know your guys feelings on screenshots being used as art!

 

Sorry to say this (and I feel I should post it here just as a reminder and for maybe public reference)  but screenshots used as art in a non-Wargaming.net product and/or the appropriate documentation signed with our Business Development and Legal department is strictly prohibited. 

 

Sorry, just trying to help. 


(Main Avatar created by xtcmax)

(Signature avatar created by Kombat_W0MBAT)

Follow me on Twitter
Find us on Facebook!

 

Avrik #7 Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 7
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012
That is absolutely fine! Thank you for letting me know as I move forward. I wanted to make sure that I was doing everything right and not step on any toes! Who would I contact to take the appropriate actions to seeing if I would be allowed and appropriate directions taken as I move forward?

pewpewpew42 #8 Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Members

  • 1,633
  • Member since:
    02-28-2016

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 17 May 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

 

Sorry to say this (and I feel I should post it here just as a reminder and for maybe public reference)  but screenshots used as art in a non-Wargaming.net product and/or the appropriate documentation signed with our Business Development and Legal department is strictly prohibited. 

 

Sorry, just trying to help. 

 

So... to do so, we would require explicit approval (probably written) from Legal?
light.png

kerensky914 #9 Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Supertester

  • 2,720
  • Member since:
    11-12-2015

View Postpewpewpew42, on 17 May 2017 - 11:03 AM, said:

 

So... to do so, we would require explicit approval (probably written) from Legal?

 

Absolutely would have to be written, and would almost have to be a full-on contract that specifies exactly what is to be used and for what purpose.  Most companies won't bother with such things - there'd have to be a clear and substantial benefit to them.

"it is a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth, who was obviously talking about the forums...

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes.  Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Avrik #10 Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 7
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012
Hm, Wargaming.net certainly deserves representation for their artwork and their content, I would love to be able to use their ships for the game with proper representation for the company, but if not, there happens to be a plethora of photos of WW2 warships. It is quite difficult as I am a one man team currently.

Carrier_Lexington #11 Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

    Ensign

  • Members

  • 1,139
  • Member since:
    12-25-2014

Looks fun.

How far are you into this? Do you have a manufacturing deal?

(What's in the starter box, and where/when can I get one?)


"Heresy!"


Avrik #12 Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:43 PM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 7
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

View PostCarrier_Lexington, on 17 May 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

Looks fun.

How far are you into this? Do you have a manufacturing deal?

(What's in the starter box, and where/when can I get one?)

 

I'm in the alpha testing phase currently, manufacturing is in the works. Upgrade cards are finished and the first batch has been made and they came out fantastically. Tokens are being worked on with a manufacturer currently and we're getting our first test batch for bases and tokens soon. The details of the alpha testing kits are being worked on right now, but currently we may be looking at something with all the tokens needed for play, upgrade cards, the HMS Hood, Two Leanders, A Bismarck and a Prinz Eugen. :) 

dionkraft #13 Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:27 PM

    Ensign

  • Members

  • 1,111
  • Member since:
    08-03-2013
Any images you have chosen that are are deemed copyright will get you sued big time. Unless your company has a "fair use" clause of which it is a educational established company and have written permission to use such imagery for a educational purpose you expose yourself to a lawsuit.  You should think REAL HARD about what you are about to do as the financial consequences become quite large when you have to hire a lawyer to defend yourself.   Unless you have written proof of a release of your materials especially if they from a copyright source I suggest you have to create all content by yourself to protect yourself. You can use photos from the internet but be advised that since you are using them to make money those copyright holders can and will sue to extract damages of use.  You should research all materials of their status of copyright before you start to produce materials for this venture.  The only exception is if you are based in CHINA where copyright laws are not of any concern would be the exception. 

Carrier_Lexington #14 Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:56 PM

    Ensign

  • Members

  • 1,139
  • Member since:
    12-25-2014

View PostAvrik, on 17 May 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

 

I'm in the alpha testing phase currently, manufacturing is in the works. Upgrade cards are finished and the first batch has been made and they came out fantastically. Tokens are being worked on with a manufacturer currently and we're getting our first test batch for bases and tokens soon. The details of the alpha testing kits are being worked on right now, but currently we may be looking at something with all the tokens needed for play, upgrade cards, the HMS Hood, Two Leanders, A Bismarck and a Prinz Eugen. :) 

 

And the next question is, how would one get involved in alpha testing?

"Heresy!"


Avrik #15 Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:23 PM

    Seaman Recruit

  • Members

  • 7
  • Member since:
    08-09-2012

Thanks for the advice, everything thus far has been created myself, being a digital artist helps! Everything besides the screenshots has been created by my own hand, which is why I'm here on the forum asking about something I haven't created. Moving forward actual images of WW2 ships will be best as they fall under public domain.

Currently to get involved ill leave you with my Email and will send out via a list once materials are prepared. There will be a cost for an alpha test kit, but its mostly just to cover costs.

 

Blair@3dgamesfarmington.com


Edited by Avrik, 17 May 2017 - 11:27 PM.


Carrier_Lexington #16 Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:49 PM

    Ensign

  • Members

  • 1,139
  • Member since:
    12-25-2014

View PostAvrik, on 17 May 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

Thanks for the advice, everything thus far has been created myself, being a digital artist helps! Everything besides the screenshots has been created by my own hand, which is why I'm here on the forum asking about something I haven't created. Moving forward actual images of WW2 ships will be best as they fall under public domain.

Currently to get involved ill leave you with my Email and will send out via a list once materials are prepared. There will be a cost for an alpha test kit, but its mostly just to cover costs.

 

Blair@3dgamesfarmington.com

And... Contact saved!

Hope it goes very well for you!


"Heresy!"


SwirvinBirds #17 Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:11 AM

    Lieutenant Commander

  • Beta Testers

  • 2,121
  • Member since:
    08-24-2013

I don't know if this helps at all but there use to be a tabletop miniature game called Battlewagon. If you ever played Starfleet Battles it was similar in that it used SSD sheets (Ship System Display).

 

Anyway, here it is... https://boardgamegee...670/battlewagon



Doors_The_Dwarf #18 Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

    Master Chief Petty Officer

  • Members

  • 207
  • Member since:
    10-03-2012

View PostAvrik, on 16 May 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

It's similar to both actually. I can share the current rules with the forum.

 

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

 

Seems actually pretty sweet! Hope it can be produced with minimal setbacks good luck.

 


DIVE MEN! But sir we can dodge the incoming torpedoes easily and....SEAMAN RECRUIT I SAID DIVE! But...DIIIIIVE!!!!


 


Carrier_Lexington #19 Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

    Ensign

  • Members

  • 1,139
  • Member since:
    12-25-2014

After reading the rules, this seems very fun.

With this system, you could probably model submarines, too. Would be very interesting.


"Heresy!"





4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users