haida interest guaging historical ships

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

Battleship_Dunkerque #41 Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 16 May 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

Hey all!

I keep hearing that HMCS Haida should be added to the game. I'm curious how large the general interest in this ship is.

So, if you could please:

• Tell me why you want this ship
  • Tell me if you think it's worth adding to Commonwealth tree, since I personally don't know if a Canadian line is viable at this time but it's fun to imagine
  • Tier Thoughts?
  • General thoughts?

Bonus question

• Should I have gone with Dove_of_War instead, and gone for the irony?

*I* don't particularly want Haida myself - I'm not much of a DD player so I don't spend money on premiums generally.  That aside, I think she'd be an excellent addition to the game - Canada's contribution to the war effort was considerable and should be honored.  I certainly agree that her place would be in the Commonwealth "navy" whether as a premium or in some kind of mixed tech tree.  Tier level?  Not sure I have any good opinion on that.

Joeyjojojuniorshabadoo #42 Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:49 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

HMCS Haida premium ship?

Yes please!

LittleWhiteMouse #43 Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:56 AM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 16 May 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

• Tell me if you think it's worth adding to Commonwealth tree, since I personally don't know if a Canadian line is viable at this time but it's fun to imagine
  • Tier Thoughts?
  • General thoughts?

Bonus question

Tell me why you want this ship:  I'm Canadian and it's the HMCS Haida!  You may as well ask an American why they want Missouri, Alabama, Kidd or Enterprise. This ship (along with HMCS Sackville -- a Flower-class Corvette) embodies the Royal Canadian Navy's fighting contribution in WWII.  Canada had to do a lot of heavy lifting in the Battle for the Atlantic and many of us look back with pride for how much was done.  I strongly recommend reading this account of the 10th Destroyer Flotilla (which included both Haida and Blyskawica) engaging German Destroyers in the English Channel at night.  http://scholars.wlu.ca/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1117&context=cmh  If this doesn't make you go "Okay, that's awesome," there's something wrong with you.

Tell me if you think it's worth adding to Commonwealth tree:  Absolutely.  I'd be proud to see HMCS Haida alongside Perth and any other of our Commonwealth sisters that get added later.  Commonwealth pride!

Tier Thoughts?  Tier 7, even if her soft stats have to be massaged one way or another to cram her in there.  It would be criminal not to be able to division Haida and Blyskawica together.

General Thoughts?  Cuddle lumps.

Should I have gone with Dove_of_War instead, and gone for the irony?  I think it would have been one of those jokes that was funny for like the first week or so and then you'd immediately wish you had been more subtle and gone with Pigeon instead.  Those in the know still get the joke.

Q♥  Most Recent Review: HMS Hood

Korval_BB55 #44 Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:24 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Because it's a beauty, eh?  Don't be a hoser and give the Canucks their well deserved and greatly hoped for DD.  I'm in Texas, and I want one too.
                Definitely Commonwealth, and don't forget to include HMCS Ontario while you're at it.  I'm sure our friends up North would love a premie Fiji, too.
  • Tier Thoughts?
                Probably VII, but with an Akizuki style torpedo bonus to help out with the single mount.
  • General thoughts?
                Throws credit card at screen.

Should I have gone with Dove_of_War instead, and gone for the irony?
  •             Hmm,  Boobie_of_War?  (Oh, wait, that's someone else's avatar...) ........  Hummingbird_of_War?   Chickadee .... ah, never mind.  I think Pigeon is just fine.

LittleWhiteMouse #45 Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:28 AM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

I'm all for the Commonwealth line getting a premium paper ship too -- HMCS Acadia, Quebec and Ontario -- take your pick!  They would have been Canada's first three Battleships of the Queen Elizabeth-class.  Stupid parliament had to go and ruin a girl's dreams 100 years in the future!

Q♥  Most Recent Review: HMS Hood

xX_Critical_ClopOut69_Xx #46 Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:33 AM

Ensign

• Members

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 16 May 2017 - 10:28 PM, said:

I'm all for the Commonwealth line getting a premium paper ship too -- HMCS Acadia, Quebec and Ontario -- take your pick!  They would have been Canada's first three Battleships of the Queen Elizabeth-class.  Stupid parliament had to go and ruin a girl's dreams 100 years in the future!

I'd say it's likely going to be Acadia, since Ontario and Quebec are both light cruisers that could also be premium ships.

Only problem is that this is basically the only image I can find, info is extremely hard to find on the Canadian QE class ships. I do hope they keep the WWI hull, sixteen 152mm guns looks like a blast for a secondary build!

GrafZeppelinKai #47 Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:42 AM

Warrant Officer

• WoWS Wiki Editor

Don't stop there, while we're at it, throw in the Indefatigable-class battlecruiser we would have gotten if Canada agreed to the "Dominion-defence" plan raised in the 1909 Imperial Conference.  

our own battlecruiser...

Edited by GrafZeppelinKai, 17 May 2017 - 02:42 AM.

"Wiki Editors do the Lord's work"   - Pigeon_of_War, 2017

Destroyer_Suzukaze #48 Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:51 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 16 May 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

Hey all!

I keep hearing that HMCS Haida should be added to the game. I'm curious how large the general interest in this ship is.

So, if you could please:

• Tier Thoughts?
  • General thoughts?

Bonus question

- I sit in my office all day looking across the sea to see Victoria, Canada. I am not Canadian, I love the country, and I have visited this ship. I very much support this ship.

- I do think it is worthwhile adding to the Commonwealth ships, and think she like most museum shops should be a premium. Put the Tribal class in the RN tech tree, put the Haida as a Commonwealth premium.  

- Tier - she has 3 dual turrets, 1 quad launcher, I think it depends how you balance her. She could go as low as 6, or as high as 8 if she were in a later configuration with radar. She was built to counter Bucky, I mean the Fubuki

- Lot of precedent for having museum ships in the game. And I think I could hear LWM squeal on this side of the boarder if she were announced, and I would pay to hear that. 

- I would pre order her now. I would love this ship, I would play a bazillion games in her. 

xX_Critical_ClopOut69_Xx #49 Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:55 AM

Ensign

• Members

View PostGrafZeppelinKai, on 16 May 2017 - 10:42 PM, said:

Don't stop there, while we're at it, throw in the Indefatigable-class battlecruiser we would have gotten if Canada agreed to the "Dominion-defence" plan raised in the 1909 Imperial Conference.  

our own battlecruiser...

I would usually agree but there is not even a name, so it would be a completely made-up ship, atleast name and modification wise. Although, it would take the wind out of the Aussies sails if Canada got a Indefatigable class before them :trollface:

Edited by xX_Critical_ClopOut69_Xx, 17 May 2017 - 02:56 AM.

GrafZeppelinKai #50 Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:59 AM

Warrant Officer

• WoWS Wiki Editor

View PostxX_Critical_ClopOut69_Xx, on 16 May 2017 - 09:55 PM, said:

Although, it would take the wind out of the Aussies sails if Canada got a Indefatigable class before them :trollface:

hahahaha indeed! 

And hey, any excuse to get more Canadian ships in game? fine by me :P

Edited by GrafZeppelinKai, 17 May 2017 - 03:04 AM.

"Wiki Editors do the Lord's work"   - Pigeon_of_War, 2017

xX_Critical_ClopOut69_Xx #51 Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:19 AM

Ensign

• Members

View PostGrafZeppelinKai, on 16 May 2017 - 10:59 PM, said:

hahahaha indeed! 

And hey, any excuse to get more Canadian ships in game? fine by me :P

I'll agree there! Bring 'em on!

I'd like to see HMCS Niobe as a Tier III premium.

tmaco #52 Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:36 AM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

YES of course she deserves to be in game.

She is a Tribal, a commonwealth Tribal ay that so a bit different to the standard UK ships. 

If Gallant is in at t6 then t7 please. 

I am Australian and would love there to be HMS Ashanti in the UK tree and a way to have both HMCS Haida and HMAS Arunta. But I doubt that a snowballs chance in Surfers Paradise. So  HMCS Jaida gets my support in tje Commonwealth tree.

Omega_Weapon #53 Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:37 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Not a lot to add to the numerous posts here already. Haida is a historic ship with a stellar service record and she still exists as a museum ship (been to visit her several times and even met the Chieftain there). Waiting for that naval legends video btw. She definitely deserves a place in the game (tier 6 most likely). As for being a Commonwealth ship, that is fine and good, except that Britain is part of the Commonwealth. I hate that Perth cannot be used to train U.K. captains. I definitely want to see Haida in game. Would just prefer her to be a premium U.K. destroyer unless the commonwealth ships can start to share crews with the U.K. .

Edited by Omega_Weapon, 17 May 2017 - 03:41 AM.

tmaco #54 Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:38 AM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

Sorry new phone/fat fongers no slur intended.

I ment HMCS HAIDA.

Sovereigndawg #55 Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:47 AM

Ensign

• Members

I will buy it if you make it. Will Common Wealth captains be switchable? The Irony of it is, that you are already Pigeon, Sorry dude.

Edited by Sovereigndawg, 17 May 2017 - 03:50 AM.

razgrizMC #56 Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:54 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Beta Testers

Tell me why you want this ship

Personally, I've never been to see HMCS Haida. Learnt about her first from the subreddit when someone posted pictures and a history of the ship. But after reading more about her history, I think Haida would be a good premium for the game. Interesting ship design, presence of the Tribals later not-withstanding, and plenty of history about her.

Tell me if you think it's worth adding to Commonwealth tree
Haida would fit rather well in the Commonwealth tech line. The Tribal class was used by the Royal Navy, Royal Canadian Navy, and Royal Australian Navy so placing Haida alongside Perth in a national line would work. Though it could be fun to offer a red leaf RCN Naval Ensign as a cosmetic flag to show off which of the Commonweath nations she belonged to.

Tier Thoughts?

I would set Haida as a Tier 7 ship. If I'm reading the information right Haida mounts the same caliber main battery as Blyskawica, has a similar throw weight (3x2 guns vs 3x2 + 1x1 guns), and is of similar tonnage. Which gives the obvious comparison though some tweaking would occur. The single torp rack could be an issue...that's a dev problem but I wouldn't say no to Haida having the RN cruiser fixed spread/single tube launch options coupled with an IJN reload booster.

General thoughts?
HMCS Haida is a ship with a rich history and is still afloat as a museum ship. Alternatively she'd make a good flavor ship for the RCN similar to Blyskawica. As for the historical side; Critical-Clopout (link) and Fog_Cruiser_Yuubari (link) cover that topic better than I hope to earlier on in this thread, and LittleWhiteMouse (link) has an article on the 10th Destroyer Flotilla. Go read their posts.

Bonus Question
Doves have more of a historical and cinematic relation to war, so the irony would wear off quickly. Besides, I'd be more afraid of a Pigeon after me anyway.

FearNLoathing78x #57 Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:02 AM

• Members

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 16 May 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

Hey all!

So, if you could please:

• Tier Thoughts?
  • General thoughts?

Bonus question

Thanks for this thread, I'm really glad to see the Haida getting some at least semi-official attention! 

The Haida is the embodiment of Canada's contribution to the Atlantic naval effort. A symbol of this "nice" nation's ability to roll up their sleeves and make valuable contributions a the theatre level along with her more loud and rambunctious southern neighbour :P HMCS Haida was, as others have pointed out, the most decorated ship in Canada's navy for WW2 (and possibly in the nation's history though I don't know the facts on that). Her historical significance alone and what she symbolises is enough to make me want her in game.

Adding her to the game would make a great outreach to the Canadian player base both existing and future as I'd be willing to wager that it would draw in quite a few. Not to mention the fact that she's currently a museum ship so there's a real life floating reference ready to go! Let's not also forget the fact that eventually the Royal Navy DD line will be a thing that happens, I'd imagine that the Tribal class (of which the Haida was one) would be included. So the model could be adapted and reused at that point as well! An entire Canadian line wouldn't be viable, because honestly they're just all pretty much variants of Royal Navy ships but she would make a great addition to the Commonwealth tree and as others said would probably fit in at about tier 5 or 6

So... to sum it all up...

High historical significance that would energize part of the NA player base.

Easy to obtain modeling reference

And can be reused for the later Tribal class

A win-win for both players and WG on this, I should think!

HMCS_Devilfish #58 Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:11 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Would like the HMCS Haida in Game to represent Canada, was on that ship as a Sea Cadet when it was moored as a Museum in Toronto, it still is alive and well as a Museum, When growing up my next door neighbor served on the Haida in WWll

MrDeaf #59 Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:11 AM

Admiral

• Members

Oh, and one more thing I forgot.

Haida comes with a Quad 533mm torpedo mount with Mark IX torpedoes.

In WoWs terms, that's the same as Leander and does 96s reload, 15433dmg, 61 knots and 8km range...

which is probably a bit weak at T7.

Luckily, RN get a large selection of torps.

Mk IX: 15,433dmg / 61kt / 8km (Leander torps)

Mk IX*: 15,866dmg / 61kt / 8km (Fiji torps)

Mk IX**: 15,533dmg / 62kt / 10km (Edinburgh torps)

Mk IXM: 16,766dmg / 62kt / 10km (Neptune torps)

Now with more Youtube.

Subscribe to this thread for latest videos: http://forum.worldof...youtube-videos/

The Corgiolis Effect: When you notice you need more torpedoes on your ship

Shnoze_Shmon #60 Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:29 AM

• Members

How about Chicken of war because its funny and has a double meaning.
Spoiler

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users