HMCS Haida, your thoughts

haida interest guaging historical ships

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

1Sherman #141 Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:48 AM

Commander

• Alpha Tester

View PostCiroton, on 21 May 2017 - 02:13 AM, said:

As great as "The Maple Leaf Forever" is, it was never an official national anthem of Canada. The lack of French lyrics, and multiple British references peeved the francophones in Quebec too much for it to ever really be in consideration.

My parents have said before that back before Canada got an official national anthem, they played "Oh Canada" and "God Save the Queen" in school.

"To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art."

"War. It's all you've ever known, isn't it? You were so young when you survived the Clone War. No wonder you're as equipped in spirit to fight as well as you do. War is, in your blood. I study the art of war, work to perfect it. But you, you were forged by it.

"Everything leading up to this moment has been rehearsal. The real performance is about to begin. I'm counting on it."

"They revealed their meager defenses. Now we will crush them."

"I'm not accepting surrenders at this time. I want you to know failure, utter defeat, and that it is I who delivers it crashing down upon you. Now. let us proceed."

Vaporisor #142 Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

Ensign

• Members

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 20 May 2017 - 03:38 PM, said:

Please bear in mind guarantee nor do I promise in anyway HMCS Haida will be added to WoWS. That said, this thread is a good reference point.

Ha ha, the hype and love for the Haida (at least amongst us Canadians) has it as an expectation long before this thread was started... unless you are unable to get the info needed to properly model the ship.  That said, couple with the museum's foundation for a historical and awareness event, I am sure they will even give you employee access to her.

Edited by Vaporisor, 21 May 2017 - 07:55 AM.

1Sherman #143 Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:56 PM

Commander

• Alpha Tester

View PostVaporisor, on 21 May 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

Ha ha, the hype and love for the Haida (at least amongst us Canadians) has it as an expectation long before this thread was started... unless you are unable to get the info needed to properly model the ship.  That said, couple with the museum's foundation for a historical and awareness event, I am sure they will even give you employee access to her.

I know the Chieftain has done WG stuff on the ship before.

"To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art."

"War. It's all you've ever known, isn't it? You were so young when you survived the Clone War. No wonder you're as equipped in spirit to fight as well as you do. War is, in your blood. I study the art of war, work to perfect it. But you, you were forged by it.

"Everything leading up to this moment has been rehearsal. The real performance is about to begin. I'm counting on it."

"They revealed their meager defenses. Now we will crush them."

"I'm not accepting surrenders at this time. I want you to know failure, utter defeat, and that it is I who delivers it crashing down upon you. Now. let us proceed."

Bravo_Zulu_000 #144 Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Alpha Tester

As a former officer in the RCN, there are some iconic ships that could be included as previously stated like HMCS Haida, HMCS Magnificent, HMCS Niobe, HMCS Ontario or HMCS Quebec (same class of cruiser), etc. What makes it hard to add Canadian ships to WoWS is the fact that in the time period covered by the game, Canada focused much of her naval capabilities on sub-surface warfare, which is not applicable in the game. Still, there are several ships that could be added to the commonwealth line that would be applicable and awesome to see in game, and HMCS Haida is easily accessible as a museum ship to start. 
Ready Aye Ready!

ArcherDude #145 Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 16 May 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

Hey all!

I keep hearing that HMCS Haida should be added to the game. I'm curious how large the general interest in this ship is.

So, if you could please:

• Tell me why you want this ship
  • Tell me if you think it's worth adding to Commonwealth tree, since I personally don't know if a Canadian line is viable at this time but it's fun to imagine
  • Tier Thoughts?
  • General thoughts?

Bonus question

• Should I have gone with Dove_of_War instead, and gone for the irony?

1. I'm a canuk....nuff said

2. As much as I would love too see an all RCN line, we just didn't have enough ship types too make it viable...Commonwealth tree would be a fine place for her

3. 7 sounds about right

4. Anything I could say has already been said....several times :)

Pigeon rolls better off the tougue

Canadatron #146 Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:39 PM

Commander

• Members

I'd think that Haida's tier will be more or less determined by how Wargaming decides to tier the Tribal class as a whole when they introduce British Destroyers. Experimenting with a single rack of torps on Kidd is a nod towards these ships that also just have 1 rack aboard.

I'd like it to be Tier 7-8.

Certainly something I'd buy even if I have a spending embargo on WG stuff ATM.

Commonwealth Ships seem like a no brainer. Most are reskins, something WG is CLEARLY not against, and there are indeed many Canadians playing this game.

-={FOG}=- Community Member

Halinspark #147 Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

• Members

Im all for whatever adds variety to the game, as long as it's balanced properly. Aim for something you can sell again later, but is still solid and largely future proof.

RMS_Potato #148 Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:13 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Yes please,

Can we also get a T1/2 HMCS Rainbow?

Lillehuntrix #149 Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

• Members

First of all, yes to Haida.

It seems that the single quad launcher (with mark IX torps - i.e. Leander top torps) is the only issue with placing it at tier VII.  So, give it a little something, such as:

1) Single-launch torp capacity (representing its British origins)

2) American smoke (representing its ability to draw on USN tech)

3) Torp reload booster in its own slot and/or shorter reload

Or, more exotically:

4) Some hybrid between normal and Perth-style smoke, perhaps along the lines of Perth with somewhat shorter deploy duration but longer puff duration to improve its ability to screen teammates while walking them into a cap.  Would make it a good team-player destroyer.  Canadians are very polite.  Would also establish strange smoke as a Commonwealth flavor (excuse me, flavour).

5) Multiple torpedo options that could be swapped in game, not just in port, via different reloads on the 3 and 4 keys.  (One longer range and slower, one shorter range and faster).

Personally I'd go for 1+2, but 4 would be interesting.

Hanz_Gooblemienhoffen_42 #150 Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:35 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostChobittsu, on 20 May 2017 - 11:39 PM, said:

THIS WAS NOT THE ANTHEM WHEN HAIDA SAILED!!!!!!!   >.<   GET IT RIGHT!!!    MAPLE LEAF FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Historically correct indeed..but ..this....this is our current National Anthem..(or should be)

:)

GambitHG #151 Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I visited this ship several times in my childhood and was enamored of the stories the sailors would tell. Many of them have been shared in this thread by other players. I'm Canadian and the ship embodies Canuck fighting spirit.

• Tell me if you think it's worth adding to Commonwealth tree, since I personally don't know if a Canadian line is viable at this time but it's fun to imagine

I can't see a Canada-only line as most were simply variants/copies of RN ships. Actually, that's probably true of most of the possible Commonwealth ship options - they should all be moved over to the UK line and sold as premiums, with their captains interchangeable with UK ships. 

• Tier Thoughts?

I would like to see it around tier 7 or 8 as a premium ship. Some of the stats may have to be tweaked to fit, but if it seems to over/underpowered for the tier, WG can simply move it to the appropriate tier (not like they haven't done that before). I've heard that the ship knew how to run stealthy, so I'd love to see it with a 6.3km concealment, in honour of her Pennant Number of G63 (if that's too OP, then maybe make it 6.7km).

• General thoughts?

To make it unique from the British Tribal class and as a nod to its ASW capabilities, it should have Hydro-Acoustic Search. The Torpedo Launcher should be given the Mark XI* or XI** torpedoes found on the Fiji or Edinburgh for punch and the option for the Quick Torpedo Reload Consumable. The 4-inch X-turret should be considered a secondary with a 3sec reload time, 8km range, and very low dispersion that also factors into the AA rating. It's smoke should be of Belfast size and US duration and given 3 charges instead of 2. I would also give it the Repair Party consumable because Canadians can fix anything with Duct Tape and WD40. All in all, the ship should be extremely versatile as it was called on for all manner of missions during its career.

And you will always be Pigeon...

Edited by GambitHG, 26 May 2017 - 04:13 PM.

LordHood2552 #152 Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:14 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Haida will make a more than worthy addition at Tier 7 for the Commonwealth Tree

As for the suggested issue about a lack of destroyers for a full line, here is my post about a proposed Commonwealth Destroyer Line (Canada, Australia, South Africa, India)

http://forum.worldof...estroyer-lines/

(disclaimer) currently in the process of revamping the DD line, so stay tuned for future updates

Killjoy1941 #153 Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:32 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• WoWS Wiki Editor

I really need to check the forums more often.

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 16 May 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

Hey all!

I keep hearing that HMCS Haida should be added to the game. I'm curious how large the general interest in this ship is.

So, if you could please:

Gib Tribal. Poith is lonely.

See above.

• Tier Thoughts?

Tier 7, and make it OP 4 Canada.

Bonus question

• Should I have gone with Dove_of_War instead, and gone for the irony?

No. Doves get shot in Texas, but pigeons scare people in NYC. That is all.

SheepDogTribal #154 Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:16 AM

Seaman

• Members

Simply:   Haida.  Beauty, eh.  

Haida, Yes please.  In a heartbeat.  She's a very respectable ship, worthy of her name and history.

Commonwealth tree.  Premium. 

Tier 6, 7, or 8.  I'm not sure but am hoping for whichever is the most appropriate to do her proper justice.  She was assertive.  She needs to be competitive and not a gimmick..

Canadian Red Ensign flag.  

Pigeon works just fine.

This thread has me so pumped. 

When you can't bring Flowers, Haida will do nicely, thank you.

xX_Critical_ClopOut69_Xx #155 Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:37 AM

Ensign

• Members

View PostSheepDogTribal, on 27 May 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

Simply:   Haida.  Beauty, eh.  

Haida, Yes please.  In a heartbeat.  She's a very respectable ship, worthy of her name and history.

Commonwealth tree.  Premium. 

Tier 6, 7, or 8.  I'm not sure but am hoping for whichever is the most appropriate to do her proper justice.  She was assertive.  She needs to be competitive and not a gimmick..

Canadian Red Ensign flag.  

Pigeon works just fine.

This thread has me so pumped. 

I'd say Tier 7. I feel she would be too OP at Tier 6 due to her HP pool and armament however, Tier 8 is a bit too much for her.

The only thing I can see being a problem is her single torpedo launcher and slightly slow turret traverse. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users