Anyone build those 3d metal ship models?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

MJPIA #1 Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Was browsing Aliexpress and one thing led to another and I ended up impulse buying Bismarck.

Posted Image

I've never built one of these before in my life so naturally my first one has to be something complicated.

Sooooo what am I getting myself into here?

Anyone built this model before?

Lert #2 Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

Not for the faint of heart. I'm a seasoned plastic modeler, but I'm intimidated by the fiddlyness of those. Use tweezers, use pliers. And one of these:

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

Ship hipster: I liked Alabama before it was cool

Goose21891 #3 Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

Fleet Admiral

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

No clue. Can't find any reviews of that kit.

kerensky914 #4 Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Supertester

View PostLert, on 16 May 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

Not for the faint of heart. I'm a seasoned plastic modeler, but I'm intimidated by the fiddlyness of those.

Urf, same here.  I don't even begin to know how you put one of those together.  Super glue would be messy as hell when done, and I can't imagine what all I'd stick my fingers to.  Model glue would be useless.  Anyone got a tiny welder? :D

"it is a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth, who was obviously talking about the forums...

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes.  Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Goose21891 #5 Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

Fleet Admiral

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View Postkerensky914, on 16 May 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

Urf, same here.  I don't even begin to know how you put one of those together.  Super glue would be messy as hell when done, and I can't imagine what all I'd stick my fingers to.  Model glue would be useless.  Anyone got a tiny welder? :D

Apparently it's just supposed to snap together or "Insert slot A in to Tab B" from what little I've found about the Bismarck kit

kerensky914 #6 Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:47 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Supertester

View PostGoose21891, on 16 May 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

Apparently it's just supposed to snap together or "Insert slot A in to Tab B" from what little I've found about the Bismarck kit

Looks that way.  I found a few kits on Amazon.  One was a Batmobile, and here's a review I copied from there:

SO COOL!!! I enjoy putting these together and have done about twenty of them, I am far from an expert and my first three ended up a wad of twisted metal, rage and profanity with a one star rating. There is a special way to assemble because these are not typical models.
TIPS AND TRICKS:
Don’t waste your time with the special tool sets or needle nose pliers (they didn’t work for me). I recommend getting tweezers with different tips. There are many times where you will be holding a piece with one set of tweezers and twisting/bending/inserting tabs with another and many times you have to reach tabs inside a small piece you have already made. Attempting to assemble this all by hand became impossible for me. Tweezer were needed.

"it is a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth, who was obviously talking about the forums...

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes.  Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

AspiringCodger #7 Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Beta Testers

View PostGoose21891, on 16 May 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

I watched enough of this to know that if it was between this and getting my dangly bits stepped on by a cow in cleats, I would not hesitate to choose the cow.

Lert #8 Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View Postkerensky914, on 16 May 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

Anyone got a tiny welder? :D

It's twist fit. Push tab A through slot B, twist tab A, and fitted.

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

Ship hipster: I liked Alabama before it was cool

Yoshiblue #9 Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:08 PM

Ensign

• Members

View PostGoose21891, on 16 May 2017 - 01:42 PM, said:

This is impressive. Quite something to watch unfold. 

Unabletony #10 Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:18 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

I have a metal model of Titanic, an Abrams tank, Empire State Building, and the Mellinium Falcon. I can tell that after doing the Falcon, it was easy for me to do the rest. Tweezers and an old unused cuticle cutter worked for me. Bend the part in a circle to twist it out, and use the cutter to snip apart any sharp edges. Bend down the tabs one they're on if they're showing, and twist them 180 if they're inside.

Also, I suggest before doing Bismarck, go out to.. maybe Barnes and Nobles, and buy the Empire State Building, or something relatively easy to grasp the idea.

Edited by Unabletony, 16 May 2017 - 09:19 PM.

Because Hyuuga is cute~

Azuki is my catpanion~

Take that, Nyagato-sempai~!

Vampirella #11 Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:24 PM

Seaman

• Members

Wow, this is nice .

Estimated_Prophet #12 Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:10 PM

Commander

• Members

Such spectacular ambition! More so than I'll likely ever have...

Closest thing I ever purchased was a metal parts detailing kit for an F-14 Tomcat cockpit.

Here's hopig it turns out well for you!

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

vonKaiser #13 Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

only ones I've done are the less detailed models really. 

Posted Image

It's on my desk at work so the above picture is what I could find.  I also did Darth Vaders Tie Fighter.  Did them at my desk at work on an overtime shift on a Saturday.  They're not...  Overly difficult...  But you have to follow the directions pretty closely.  Learned that lesson on the Tiger tank when I did the wheels wrong and had to take them back off to fix.  The small metal tabs do not like being bent more then once and are difficult to re-bend for fixing so gotta make sure it's right the 1st time. 

Biggest suggestion, Get a robust pair of hemostats.  I would put the tabs where they needed to be, grip the tab tight, click it and then twist 180 degrees.  This made the pieces sit tightly together with no slop or movement.  Same thing when you have to do the tabs that are bent over 90 degrees, grabbing and pulling with the hemostats first made sure everything was tight together with no gaps.  Hemostats are a life saver and the only way I can do them anymore TBH

For the love of god Wargaming, please remove the atrocious Citadel hit noise

Sincerely, a Tinnitus sufferer. (Edit 7/7/16 - Thank you soooooo much for the change Wargaming)

Random Gaming Moments, Ship Reviews and gameplay breakdown by yours truly: https://www.youtube.com/c/vonkaiser

Goose21891 #14 Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

Fleet Admiral

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Funny thing about the welder comment is that there are some plastic kits that have photo etch that is easier to solder than glue. Dragon's original tooling for the 45.02(P)/ Porsche Tiger for example 

Inigo_M0ntoya #15 Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:29 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

I love these models!  I'm actually working on a USS Arizona right now but when I was introduced to them I had a bunch of vehicles from Star wars.  I have a tie fighter, ATAT, some X-wings, Star Destroyer and an adorable R2-D2.  They are quite challenging.  You'll probably need a pretty good magnifying glass (it helps if it is independently mounted on the table or something)  A good pair of very tiny needle nose pliers and some tweezers.  One tool that I like using is a bit of a mix.  Im sorry I dont know what its called it basically has handles like scissors, but a very fine tip that works like needle nose pliers.  If you have any idea what im talking about go and find some, they really help.  Dont mess up, before you start bending and twisting and breaking stuff make sure you have everything right, dont get ahead of yourself.  The little attachment tabs done like being bent more than once.  Measure twice, cut once.  Also that is a gorgeous aircraft in that hangar.  P-51?

Edit: The tool is called a hemostat. A surgical instrument.  If that's any indication of how tiny this stuff is, youre right.

Edited by Inigo_M0ntoya, 16 May 2017 - 10:33 PM.

"It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it is not fought on U.S. soil."

Chester W. Nimitz

MJPIA #16 Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Hmmm if I had to say this isn't the hardest thing in the world I've done but taking a tiny flat piece of metal and making it round while still having the tabs line up in the slots or accidentally crushing something is the devil.

Some 2 hours later:

Posted Image

Good enough for today, I'll continue pecking at it later.

Edited by MJPIA, 16 May 2017 - 10:34 PM.

Taichunger #17 Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:47 PM

Captain

• Members

This is really cool....

----------

Still needed: (1) a NO CV button for the MM (2) Remove Shatter (3) a button for demounting all flags (4) the icon in the status bar to signal someone wants to div/chat with you

paradat #18 Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:51 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

Hmm those look interesting. May have to give it a go.

MJPIA #19 Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I'll just have y'all know that it is my unprofessional opinion that anyone who regularly makes these metal kits is a masochist.

And having tiny pieces spring out of pliers and launch across the floor is not exactly my definition of fun.

Posted Image

Moving along.

You can tell what I started building first.

I shall call it the Leaning tower of Bismarck 

Edited by MJPIA, 17 May 2017 - 09:54 PM.

MJPIA #20 Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:37 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Its generally a well made kit so far and didn't run into any issues until now but the superstructure walls don't fit right.

Posted Image

Its slightly too long in the middle section and did not have a fold in the right place.

Posted Image

Ended up cutting it at a fold and tucking in the excess inside, not ideal but didn't have a choice.

Posted Image

Its slowly coming together.

Roughly 90 pieces put together and some 20'ish to go.

Edited by MJPIA, 19 May 2017 - 03:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users