Maass - Why?

maass german dd Tier 7

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Landing_Skipper #1 Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

I got the Maass this morning and am asking myself "Why?"

Leningrad, Blyskawica and Shiratsuyu all have better win rates (past 2 weeks, solo).  Same 3 lead the Maass in average damage, XP, kill/death and kills per battle.  The eastern Europeans are faster & better gun boats with workable torps.  Shira is, well, a torp monster.  The Sims is more maneuverable with MUCH faster turret traverse & reloads, making it a better "jack of all trades, master of none."

Is the Z-23 worth grinding the Maass?  Hmmmm, Benson and Akizuki are 2 of my favorite DDs.  Tier 9?  Fletcher is really hard to beat.  Tier 10?  Maybe the Z-52 is worth the grind to Tier 10, but Khabarovsk still dominates there (even if it isn't really a DD).

I'm not trying to be obnoxious here.  Really want to know if I should keep going.  The French cruiser line isn't working all that well for me - I have similar problems looking at Algerie vs. other T7 cruisers and looking up to T8-10.  However, I like to be working on something...

"Plan to be wrong about something." PRR (he knows who he is)

GrafZeppelinKai #2 Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• WoWS Wiki Editor

I'll say this; you got the maass this morning. maybe give her a bit more time to get comfortable in.

Edited by GrafZeppelinKai, 16 May 2017 - 06:51 PM.

"Wiki Editors do the Lord's work"   - Pigeon_of_War, 2017

Ghost_Raven75 #3 Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Supertester

Once you have her fully upgraded she is a fun little raider for sure.  They do get much better as you move up so don't give up hope.  Just try to grind through it as quickly as you can.

"Вся моя жизнь была ВМФ СССР. Я сделал свой выбор молодым и никогда не сожалел об этом" - Никола́й Гера́симович Кузнецо́в

Morpheous #4 Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

I like my MAAS just fine, used it in ranked and it was a DD killer.  And that is its role, kill enemy DDs.  It will rip most if not all enemy DDs in a knife fight.  Its torps are decent.  The real drawback is concealment, but if you force enemy to smoke up, charge, Hydro, and kill.  It takes some balls to drive this....

Captain_Dorja #5 Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

If all you want is the best in class ships, Maass isn't worth it. If you play the game for more than using OP FOTM ships, than its as worth while as every other ship in game. 

USN: All BBs, CAs, DDs. Lexington, Missouri, Alabama, Saipan, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Arizona, Texas, Albany, Lo Yang

IJN:  Hiryu, Hatsuharu, Yugumo, Mogami, Amagi, Tachibana, Kamikaze R, ARP Kirishima, ARP Kongo, ARP Haruna, ARP Hiei, Fubuki, Akatsuki, ARP Ashigara, ARP Haguro, ARP Nachi, Nagato, ARP Takao, Atago
Germany: Bayern, Hipper, Emden, Nurnberg, Scharnhorst, Prinz Eugen, Tirpitz

Russia: Shchors, Kiev, Imperator Nikolai, Gremyashchy, Anshan, Molotov, Leningrad, Mikhail Kutuzov

Britain and Allies: Leander, Campbeltown, Perth, Warspite, Dunkerque, Blyskawica, Belfast

MrDeaf #6 Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

Admiral

• Members

Maass felt very average to me.

health: largest HP pool of T7DDs

guns: good enough, not outstanding

torps: good enough, not outstanding

AA: lol, DD

concealment: meh, awful on a DD basis, but okay for a T7

speed: meh, not going to get anywhere fast

agility: meh, not bad, nor good

ability: Hydro!

Once you upgrade all of it, it does get a bit better.

And then it is a matter of learning how and when to exploit badly deployed red smoke with your hydro and smoke.

overall, I think Maass teaches you how to play German DDs, but lacks the tools for consistent play.

Now with more Youtube.

Subscribe to this thread for latest videos: http://forum.worldof...youtube-videos/

The Corgiolis Effect: When you notice you need more torpedoes on your ship

Kapitanleutnant_Ford #7 Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

I felt it was a good boat, not the best, t7 has some great DDs for sure. But the line does get better.
Stats

Landing_Skipper #8 Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:48 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostKapitanleutnant_Ford, on 16 May 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

I felt it was a good boat, not the best, t7 has some great DDs for sure. But the line does get better.

Thanks!  This is the encouragement I needed.

Not looking for OP ship all the time. Otherwise I'd never play anything but Kutuzov, Belfast, Nikolai, Gremy and Fujin/Kamikaze. Oh and Konig Albert.  Just wanted something to look forward to while grinding a "meh" ship.  I've played enough DDs to get a feel for a new one pretty fast.

bad_arcade_kitty #9 Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:50 AM

Captain

• Members

the reasons to play maas - 

decent guns with a higher he dps than blyskavica even despite weak he shells, also with the strongest ap shells of all t7 dds while having torps that are better than blysk's, minsk's, sims' and mahan's

tolerable speed

sonar

also the highest hp of all t7 dds

be kind to torpedo girls - scratching, pouncing, butt wiggling, tsundere kittens of the fleet!

JochenHeiden #10 Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:44 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

In 41 battles in Maass I have a 75% win rate and a 10:1 KDR.  It's beast, Bro.  Seriously.

A super special thank you to Eric_Von_Hess for his incredibly generous gift of Mikhail Kutuzov!

|KRG| Kriegsmaschine - Prushn & JochenHeiden, division partners for life!

Please visit my Youtube page for exciting WOWS Battle Replays:   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCouxqbVLTQRue1omZ-INlag

silverdahc #11 Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

The German DD's we're okay once I got to the z46 it got a lot better

"It is very hard to swim up hill."         

Mark Schlereth

Umikami #12 Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

I enjoyed Maass, finding her to be capable, if not exactly outstanding.

Z-23 is also an enjoyable and playable ship, though the difference between the 128's and the 150's makes it like 2 different boats.

Z-46 is supposed to be the Cadillac of the line; I have seen posts where it is preferred to Fletcher.

So ... while you may be struggling right now, you've got some good ships to look forward to.

Landing_Skipper #13 Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

OK I was too quick to judgement on the Maass. Got a Kraken last night. Only 52k damage but catching an Akizuki hiding in smoke with hydro was priceless. 

I also wasn't being fair to her in that most of my T7 and above DD captains have at least 17 captain skill points. RDF would be a great addition to her toolkit given her meh detection but excellent DD killing ability. 

Camo68 #14 Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

View PostUmikami, on 18 May 2017 - 12:00 AM, said:

I enjoyed Maass, finding her to be capable, if not exactly outstanding.

I think that pretty much sums up the entire German line, "capable but not exactly outstanding".

OP stick with it they are capable once you learn to exploit their strengths especially capping with hydro.  But if you find that you are not enjoying the Maas unfortunately tiers 8, 9 & 10 are similar in play style.

My Current Ships

JochenHeiden #15 Posted Yesterday, 05:14 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Just to emphasize the point:  I recently put a dedicated 19-point captain into my Maass.  It's simply OP at Tier 7.  When it's top-tier, it's pretty unbelievably seal-clubbing OP.  This ship is one of my absolute favorites of the line and will always be a go-to for fun.

A super special thank you to Eric_Von_Hess for his incredibly generous gift of Mikhail Kutuzov!

|KRG| Kriegsmaschine - Prushn & JochenHeiden, division partners for life!

Please visit my Youtube page for exciting WOWS Battle Replays:   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCouxqbVLTQRue1omZ-INlag

Spooooooooooooooooooooon #16 Posted Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Z23 should be a better boat.  9.5km torps and all that.  Still struggling with her, but I will endeavor to persevere

centarina #17 Posted Yesterday, 05:09 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

I just don't find KM DD to be different enough from what I already have.   Hydro is nice if you tagteam though.     I don't have 19 point captain for KM, so it mostly sits.  

IJN: Mikasa,  Ichizuchi, Fuso, Amagi, Katori, kuma, Zao, Tachibana, KamikazeR, Shinonome, Shiratsuyu, Akizuki, Yugumo PA Anshan  

VFM: Aurora,Svietlana,  Murmansk, Budyonny, Chapayev, D.Donskoi, Ognevoi, Kiev, Tashkent, Udaloi, Khab  FRDougay T, Le Gal

USN:   New York, North Carolina,Phoenix,  Marblehead,  Indianapolis, Baltimore,  Farragut, Sims,Benson,Fletcher, Bogue    RN Leander, Edinburgh   

KM:  Konig Albert, Bayern, Graf Spee, Gneisenau, Bismarck, FDG, Emden, Karlsruhe  , Roon, Lib Maas         ARP: Kongo, Myoko, Haruna, Kirishima, Ashigara, Hiei, Haguro,  Nachi, Takao

Notser Certified Potato

Canadatron #18 Posted Today, 11:29 AM

Commander

• Members

I've only played a few games in Maass since I unlocked it yesterday, but it's a continuation of Gaede. I've played less than 30 Gaede games (still didn't elite it tho!) but the ship is great at what it does.

My Uninformed, Unhinged Opinion?

-DD smoke poacher, excellent front line DD, punchy guns that work well in most scenarios, competent knife fighter (USN still has the Belt though...) and stealth firing torps with relatively speedy reload and decent everything else. Everything else being conceal, turning, speed...

I don't get to play a whole lot and I'm still adjusting to the way Destroyer has to be played in a post OWSF changes world, but I decided to start KM at the time of the changes. I'd say it's working out learning the two things at once. I'm a MUCH better DD player now. My WR is improving even if my damage and that stuff is down a bit. 

-={FOG}=- Community Member

Xenomancers #19 Posted Today, 01:08 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I skipped mass - because I speced my Gaede for 150mm. Z-23 is an awesome DD though. Best DD at T8 IMO.

"Nevermind about maneuvers, go straight at 'em" - Lord Nelson

Also tagged with maass, german dd, Tier 7

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users