USS Missouri, BB-63, has been recommissioned.

Clickbait I lied Now with 70% less Rick Astley

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

MelonFlavoredShells #21 Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:08 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostRivertheRoyal, on 16 May 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

Or, a smaller version of it has been. :P

This has been a troll post from your friendly neighborhood flat-top. 

I'm not sure how I let myself be fooled by this for even a moment... Well played, madam. 8/8

“The trouble with most of us is that we’d rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.”

saru_richard #22 Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:16 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

i want to brutally murder you now....

still waiting for WG to give USN STS armor....

AquaSquirrel #23 Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

Ensign

• Members

View PostMelonFlavoredShells, on 16 May 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

I'm not sure how I let myself be fooled by this for even a moment... Well played, madam. 8/8

Your name is amazing.
Formerly OliverPerry 

RivertheRoyal #24 Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

Captain

• Members

View Post212thAttackBattalion, on 16 May 2017 - 08:03 PM, said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again..... i swear she has gigabytes of Ryuujou memes and photos on her hard drive lol.

Er, no. 

212thAttackBattalion #25 Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:23 PM

Ensign

• Members

View PostRivertheRoyal, on 17 May 2017 - 02:20 AM, said:

Er, no. 

I really am just your average, every-man World of Warships player. My play style according to Warships today:

• Mostly plays cruisers, especially medium-tier and is very good in them
  • Deals an above average amount of damage
  • Extremely rarely uses torpedoes
  • Key vehicle - Fiji

Lert #26 Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

Just one question ... Why do so many Americans find it necessary to always say 'BB-63' after saying 'USS Missouri'? I would think it's perfectly clear what ship you're talking about without going to that extra length.

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

Ship hipster: I liked Alabama before it was cool

RivertheRoyal #27 Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

Captain

• Members

View PostLert, on 16 May 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

Just one question ... Why do so many Americans find it necessary to always say 'BB-63' after saying 'USS Missouri'? I would think it's perfectly clear what ship you're talking about without going to that extra length.

Normally it's just 'Missouri' for me. However, I wanted the thread title to sound more legitimate and official like. So, BB-63 was included~

MrDeaf #28 Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:05 PM

Admiral

• Members

View PostLert, on 16 May 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

well, since you asked...

USS Missouri (1841)

BB-11, USS Missouri

BB-63, USS Missouri

SSN-780, USS Missouri

Subscribe to this Thread or Youtube for the latest videos.

The Corgiolis Effect: When you notice you need more torpedoes on your ship

_Nygard_ #29 Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:17 PM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

Say what you want l'm off to find that kayak mod!

GrafZeppelinKai #30 Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• WoWS Wiki Editor

God dammit I've been duped. 

"Wiki Editors do the Lord's work"   - Pigeon_of_War, 2017

Wowzery #31 Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostLert, on 16 May 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

Clarification of the ship.  A bit like if I asked about the HMS Dreadnaught.  Which one?  Or the King George V, or even Ark Royal.  Navies reuse names so its a way for people to quickly identify which ship is being talked about.

If the headline had been USS Missouri I might have asked a question if this was a new warship for the navy instead of the battleship.

Edited by Wowzery, 16 May 2017 - 05:40 PM.

Lert #32 Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostMrDeaf, on 16 May 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

well, since you asked..

Please point out to me where I asked 'how many USS Missouris were there'.

View PostMrDeaf, on 16 May 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

USS Missouri (1841)

BB-11, USS Missouri

BB-63, USS Missouri

SSN-780, USS Missouri

In the context of this gaming forum it's absolutely perfectly crystal clear which Missouri was meant. In fact, I would bet that there are more people who think of the Iowa class battleship harbored at Pearl when seeing the name 'USS Missouri' than realize that ship is designated BB-63.  If OP had just said 'USS Missouri' or even just 'Missouri' I strongly doubt that anyone on this forum would've even considered a nucleair sub or a frigate destroyed by fire in 1843.

So, again, why include it in the first place? It's only meaningful to people who already know what ship you're talking about, and then it's pointless.

I see it all the time.

"I went to visit USS Iowa BB-61!" Yeah? Which other USS Iowa still exists that you can visit?

"I finally got the USS Texas BB-35!" Out of the large choice of Texas's available in this game, I'm sure.

etc etc etc.

Second note: Why is it so often done with Battleships, and a lot less often with Destroyers or Cruisers? Everyone always says Fletcher or Mahan or New Orleans or Baltimore, not Fletcher DD-445 or Mahan DD-364 or New Orleans CA-32 or Baltimore CA-68, etc.

(Above stats not guaranteed accurate. I'm a supertester and test ships don't always register correctly)

AquaSquirrel #33 Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:59 PM

Ensign

• Members

You ok Lert? you're a grumpy cat right now.

Edited by AquaSquirrel, 16 May 2017 - 05:59 PM.

Formerly OliverPerry 

Lert #34 Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:00 PM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostAquaSquirrel, on 16 May 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

You ok Lert? you're a grumpy cat right now.

When people are all smarmy while putting words in my mouth and answering questions I never asked, yeah, I get a bit grumpy.

GrafZeppelinKai #35 Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• WoWS Wiki Editor

View PostLert, on 16 May 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

Second note: Why is it so often done with Battleships, and a lot less often with Destroyers or Cruisers? Everyone always says Fletcher or Mahan or New Orleans or Baltimore, not Fletcher DD-445 or Mahan DD-364 or New Orleans CA-32 or Baltimore CA-68, etc.

If I can speculate, it probably has to do with 1) either laziness (like who wants to repeat three digits) or 2) the eminence that only battleships possess. 

MrDeaf #36 Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

Admiral

• Members

View PostLert, on 16 May 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

Please point out to me where I asked 'how many USS Missouris were there'.

In the context of this gaming forum it's absolutely perfectly crystal clear which Missouri was meant. In fact, I would bet that there are more people who think of the Iowa class battleship harbored at Pearl when seeing the name 'USS Missouri' than realize that ship is designated BB-63.  If OP had just said 'USS Missouri' or even just 'Missouri' I strongly doubt that anyone on this forum would've even considered a nucleair sub or a frigate destroyed by fire in 1843.

So, again, why include it in the first place? It's only meaningful to people who already know what ship you're talking about.

I see it all the time.

"I went to visit USS Iowa BB-61!" Yeah? Which other USS Iowa still exists that you can visit?

"I finally got the USS Texas BB-35!" Out of the large choice of Texas's available in this game, I'm sure.

etc etc etc.

There are two USS Missouri in current existence.

One is BB-63

The other is SSN-780.

SSN-780 is pretty new, but you really don't hear much about it, so people may think that one had something done to it.

For all I know, if that 'BB-63' wasn't in the title, I would have guessed the USN was commissioning a new USS Missouri. Maybe a LCS USS Missouri.

Edited by MrDeaf, 16 May 2017 - 06:03 PM.

Lert #37 Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

Admiral

• Supertester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostMrDeaf, on 16 May 2017 - 06:01 PM, said:

SSN-780 is pretty new, but you really don't hear much about it, so people may think that one had something done to it.

Yeah, because brand new ships still in active duty are often being recommissioned left right and center and nuclear subs are so relevant on this game's forum, right.

Are you honestly insinuating that people would honestly think of the SSN when reading the title of this thread? Really? Even if they did, just a click on the thread would quickly dissuade them of that notion.

But all that falls apart when you consider my second question. Regurgitating the hull number is done much, much more often for Battleships than Cruisers and Destroyers. It seems that you believe that everyone would automatically think of the SSN when Missouri is mentioned, but automagically knows you're talking about DD-364 and not, say, DDG-72 when talking about 'Mahan'.

There's a double standard going on and I want to understand it, without smarmy people putting words into my mouth.

GrafZeppelinKai #38 Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• WoWS Wiki Editor

Battleships were always considered the prides of their navies...so tradition of eminence, perhaps? 

MrDeaf #39 Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:07 PM

Admiral

• Members

View PostLert, on 16 May 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Yeah, because brand new ships still in active duty are often being recommissioned left right and center and nuclear subs are so relevant on this game's forum, right.

Are you honestly insinuating that people would honestly think of the SSN when reading the title of this thread? Really? Even if they did, just a click on the thread would quickly dissuade them of that notion.

But all that falls apart when you consider my second question. Regurgitating the hull number is done much, much more often for Battleships than Cruisers and Destroyers. It seems that you believe that everyone would automatically think of the SSN when Missouri is mentioned, but automagically knows you're talking about DD-364 and not, say, DDG-72 when talking about 'Mahan'.

There's a double standard going on and I want to understand it, without smarmy people putting words into my mouth.

Well, like I said, I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to how USN operates.

DOCTOR_CITADEL #40 Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostLert, on 16 May 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

When people are all smarmy while putting words in my mouth and answering questions I never asked, yeah, I get a bit grumpy.

A question was asked.

Answers were given. 

No rule says that you have to like the answers or even agree with them. *shrugs*

Seems like a whole lot of hullabaloo over nothing to me. 

OverPowered Gaming Fleet Admiral / [OPG] Admiral 

For OverPowered Gaming Recruitment & Information (click here)               

OverPowered Gaming's Clan Entrance Requirements (click here)               

OverPowered Gaming's Teamspeak Address: 158.69.112.116: 10026             

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users