what is the sims good for?

sims

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

dapmiti #1 Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:23 AM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

she use to be a stealth firing ship... now i have no clue how to play her any tips?

Unabletony #2 Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:28 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

She has rapid firing guns with horrible arcs that are good. Use the arc to shoot over islands to nail people. Use your smoke for your team as it lasts long. Torps are slow, but they get very close to the point where it's too late to turn out of.

Because Hyuuga is cute~

Azuki is my catpanion~

Take that, Nyagato-sempai~!

alexf24 #3 Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:29 AM

Captain

• Members

Good for spotting and laying smoke for allies. Worked well in T7 ranked due to the XP bonus she has, so often times came first in the losing team.

It is not a great ship. Guns don't cause fires or much damage and torps are forgettable.

I like her and have fun,  but it is far from my best DD.

I shoot an arrow in the air, where it lands I do not care, I get my arrows wholesale -- Curly Howard (with a wink to Longfellow)

Kombat_W0MBAT #4 Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:42 AM

Commander

• Members

It is the ultimate support DD. Great at contesting caps, scouting, and smoking allies. Its Defensive Fire is also a great tool. 

GX9900A #5 Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:28 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

honestly?

shes good at everything, but great at nothing.

mahan is better at hunting DD's, but isnt as fast, and torps reload slower then yours

russian t7 can burn everything, but is slower turning/worse turret mounts

akatsuki has better torps, and stealth but is much slower with much worse guns.

shes fast, like a russian DD, has Benson guns but only 4 of them, has horrible torps that reload relatively quickly - great for area denial even if they do bad damage, has good concealment for ambushes, but bad alpha damage, but great rate of fire.

basically shes a jack of all trades, and an ace of non.

Edited by GX9900A, 16 May 2017 - 02:30 AM.

JochenHeiden #6 Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:54 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Contesting caps and making big bucks.  She has a base XP modifier higher than any other ship in game.

A super special thank you to Eric_Von_Hess for his incredibly generous gift of Mikhail Kutuzov!

|KRG| Kriegsmaschine - Prushn & JochenHeiden, division partners for life!

Please visit my Youtube page for exciting WOWS Battle Replays:   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCouxqbVLTQRue1omZ-INlag

silverdahc #7 Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

She is the best dancer of all the Destroyers very hard to torpedo very hard to hit with guns unless you get inside your detection range

If you work her detection range and play it like a hunter popping in killing and getting out quickly I find is my best strategy

"It is very hard to swim up hill."         

Mark Schlereth

ForgMaxtor #8 Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

Ensign

• Members

View PostGX9900A, on 16 May 2017 - 02:28 AM, said:

mahan is better at hunting DD's, but isnt as fast, and torps reload slower then yours

Nope.  While Sims does have one less gun mount than the Mahan, the Sims' mounts have substantially higher ROF and traverse.  Net result is that in a high-manuever engagement (i.e., a DD vs. DD fight), the Sims will generally least match the Mahan in DPM, and often beat her. With better stealth, the Sims will also usually see the Mahan first, giving her the initiative -- the Sims can choose either open fire and gain first-shot advantage, or, since she is also faster and more maneuverable, turn to avoid engagement if circumstances are not favorable.  Overall, I'll take the Sims over any other T7 in a straight-up DD, vs. DD fight.  But boats like the Mahan have other strengths which come into play when the larger battle is considered, so I wouldn't say that the Sims is overall better than Mahan or the other T7 DDs, just different.

Even before the OWSF nerf, I never played the Sims as a long-range stealth-fire boat.  Rather, I play her as a cap control boat -- get in a cap early, kill and/or bully the enemy DDs out of the cap, and claim it for your team.  Then once the cap is claimed, move on to another cap to repeat. Or, if the enemy moves aggressively to reclaim  the cap you just won, harrass them with guns and torps as they try to push in.

It's harder to make hay with Sims in Standard Battle mode.  When thrown into a Standard Battle match in Sims, I guess where the enemy torp DDs are going to go and try to neutralize them. If I succeed in this task without dying, then I spend whatever time I have left harrassing other enemy ships with torps and/or guns from smoke.

Sims is also good at smoking allies. This is a great tactic in Ranked or if you're playing in a division, but I don't do this much in playing solo Randoms because most Random Battle BB & Cruiser players are very poor at recognizing when a DD is providing them smoke and often as not will just blunder on past it,  leading to a wasted smoke charge.

Edited by ForgMaxtor, 17 May 2017 - 07:30 PM.

Ace_04 #9 Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:29 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Fastest rudder and turret traverse in the game.  Incredibly nimble.  Makes for a great cap contention ship and knife fighter at close range.

Even without the bonus XP modifier, she was always one of my go-to ships for Ranked play just for the fun of it.

[-K-] Kraken

"In war, there are no atheists.  Both sides are asking God for help" - Cmdr. Terry Goddard

Taylor3006 #10 Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:23 AM

Ensign

• Members

I tried this last season of ranked with my Mahan, was terrible. Switched to Sims and did really well. She is a great support DD, fairly good in a knife fight for caps and excellent for laying her "sea mines". Those long range torps worked well for torping smoke and area of denial attacks. Their faster reload worked in her advantage as well last season, often times instead of firing all of my torps, would fire one salvo and hold the others for half a minute then launch the second set. It allowed me to keep up a barrage of long range torps and with all the smoke of last ranked season, that worked well. 

h_balck #11 Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Ranked star securing.

Fun bote

Xenomancers #12 Posted Today, 01:30 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Sims is amazing. Get a couple of them working together and it's pretty hard to lose the game.

"Nevermind about maneuvers, go straight at 'em" - Lord Nelson

Umikami #13 Posted Today, 02:00 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

Sims is very much like a ballet dancer ... who carries a set of brass knuckles behind her back.

She is amazingly nimble and can dance around incoming shells and torps like no other.

Her turret rotation rate is simply unbelievable, you couldn't ask for faster turrets.

Her torps are deceptive, and quite useful, as long as you respect their lack of speed and hitting power.

You want to get REAL close and then out maneuver the enemy turrets by turning faster than they can keep up.

Dance in, hammer them a time or two, and dance away.

Use islands and cover, including enemy BB's (had a red BB sunk by friendly fire just because I sailed too close to him, LOL!)

and ENJOY!! She's a great ship!!

Also tagged with sims

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users