I want to like the Warspite. I really do. Help?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

SalvoSanta #1 Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

But geez...this ship...what am I doing wrong?

80% overpens. I overpen EVERYTHING. Broadside BBs on the upper belt, OVERPENS. Waterline? Bounces. It's made of Balsa wood covered in fuel and if a round just looks at it, you're on fire in 4 spots. The armour can be penetrated by a Bic Biro thrown with your opposite hand.

For lols I went for full manual secondaries IFHE spec...not a good idea. 7.6km, but they don't start firing til 7.4km and even then...negligible damage at best.

I just don't know what to do? The slow turrets don't even bother me. I'm just sick of having broadside cruisers at 7km and getting nothing but overpens. Is this normal?

kerensky914 #2 Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:10 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Supertester

Try using HE against broadside cruisers - you'll often get citadels with it.  But yeah, 15" guns against Tier V ships will get lotsa overpen.  Conversely you can and will lolpen thru the bow a lot.

I should also mention that Warspite's ballistics are different enough from many ships that it takes some adjustment in your aim - you end up hitting in the wrong place.  I feel like this is why most really good Warspite captains seem to not like other ships, and why many captains who try Warspite are discouraged.

Edited by kerensky914, 15 May 2017 - 02:12 PM.

"it is a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth, who was obviously talking about the forums...

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes.  Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

h_balck #3 Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I don't care for it.  I have all other tier 6 battleships and she's by far the least fun of the bunch.  Can she hit hard?  Sure.  But the combination of short range and terrible speed doesn't appeal to me.  Not to mention the turret traverse and fire chance.  It's the one premium I wish I could refund.

Edited by h_balck, 15 May 2017 - 02:20 PM.

RivertheRoyal #4 Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

Captain

• Members

Just be patient with the ship, and while playing her. Stick to medium ranges and stuff. Have you tried reading LWM's guide on her? 

SluggerJackson #5 Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

The Warspite is my least played ship.  Her turret traverse is horrible, and doesn't make up for any of her good points.  Every battleship is going to have problems over penning cruisers.  If she wasn't so slow and horrible I'd play her more.  The only reason I bought her is to train my British BB captain.  If the rest of the British BB line plays like the Warspite I will probably skip it altogether. 

Good luck with the ship.  You'd probably enjoy the Arizona better.  I know I do.

RipNuN2 #6 Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

Commander

• Members

The Warspite is a ship that requires a number of battles to become comfortable with. Practice practice practice if you want to master her.

Jiggiwatt #7 Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:49 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I have a few hundred battles in the Warspite and I've noticed lately that while I can still rack up pretty consistent damage figures, the over pens are becoming a little ridiculous. There's nothing more irritating than landing 6/8 shots on a broadside CA/CL at 8km and getting 5 over pens and no citadel.

I really used to enjoy playing the Warspite, but lately...

Estimated_Prophet #8 Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:50 PM

Commander

• Members

Warspite takes planing and a patient hand. I would not hesitate to brawl other T6 battleships in it, as long as I am the one who dictates the initial enguagement. Turret issues are easily dealt with by advanced planing and managing your turns in a way that HELPS the guns get around, instread of making them work against the turn.

As an example; if you are at the end of a run, and need to turn around? Move your cusor around and lock the guns in the other direction, then start the turn. By trhe time you complete the one-eighty, the guns will nearly be in position to resume firing.

...and as far as the overpens go? I'm not wedded to using only AP in a battleship, sho it's no big deal for me to switch between that and HE as the situation may require.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet, 15 May 2017 - 03:51 PM.

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

Zionas #9 Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Hmm, looks like a number of you are also having trouble with her. I've played 25 battles in her and my performance just sucks. Only 3 or 4 battles were decent. And yes I've read LWM's guide on her but I'll have to read it again. The guns and the chance of getting set on fire are the things that really bother me, as well as the current Tier 6 MM. As for using HE, it's something I haven't done in a long time sailing a BB. How easy is it to citadel enemy cruisers and BBs with HE if I aim at the waterline or slightly above it? I don't have IFHE.

Do you think that in her current state, she'll be representative of the British line (ex: QE and Nelson)?

Edited by Zionas, 15 May 2017 - 03:54 PM.

Panzer1113 #10 Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Have it, but hardly take it out - sure if I played it a lot then might be more comfortable with all its shortcomings, but I enjoy other tier 6 BBs like Arizona, Fuso, Bayern more.  Some love Warspite, for me just meh.

h_balck #11 Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostZionas, on 15 May 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

Hmm, looks like a number of you are also having trouble with her. I've played 25 battles in her and my performance just sucks.

Spoiler

Yeah, it's not just you.

KaptainKaybe #12 Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

Don't hesitate to brawl in this ship. Well angled, she's incredibly tough to damage up close. And her secondaries are flamethrowers that will make enemy ships within range panic like mad.

But yes, she does indeed have a strong learning curve, a fact I myself became aware of when I got her shortly after I first started playing. I just wish she weren't so cursed with me. Every time I take out this ship, I end up on teams where half my allies die within the first five minutes :sceptic:

The_Librarian54 #13 Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:55 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I hear you. I bought the Warspite when the London port came out because I felt it was just not right not to have a British battleship in it, and I am a battleship main. So much goodwill towards this ship... and I hated it. Balsawood armor, glacial turrets, meh AA, so-so secondaries, short range... just not my ship. I even mounted the upgrade that boosts traverse. Better, but I regretted the purchase.

Then I started grinding Colorado and came back to the Warspite, and I realized something had changed. I finally "got" her playstyle. Now I was wrecking ships and taking names, and having a good time while I did it. If the next season of Ranked is T6, I will probably run Warspite and Arizona as my favorites. I think it is like other people have said; Warspite is different and you really need to play her style to enjoy her. She is not fast and she will take damage, but with good angling and good map awareness you can punish enemy ships severely while tanking damage for your cruiser buddies (who you should be closely supporting) and healing up throughout the match. Her low range just means that you can't waste time with long-range harassing fire and when you do shoot it is at a range where it will count. Warspite rewards map awareness and good aim (wonderful guns, of course). If you let yourself get focused by multiple ships without your own allies with you to dps them down as you tank, you will die as quickly as any other ship. Warspite is about providing her power at a point, winning, and surviving to heal back up and do it again. There may be other ways, but that is what I find works best. I needed to grow into captaining the Warspite, and perhaps that is the case for others as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users