How to dial up my Dunkerque?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

The_Horned_King #1 Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

Seaman

• Members

Okay, so my Dunkerque is my most played ship, and also my highest win percentage out of any of my front page (currently down to 58.2% but still holding out okay). I feel like I've hit a plateau and I'm considering respeccing my captain skills or upgrades, among other things. Here's what I've got:

Captain skills: Preventative Maintenance / Expert Marksman / Basic Firing Training / Advanced Firing Training + Fire Resistance (currently with 1 spare point and another coming soon).

Upgrades: Main Armaments 1 / Aiming Systems 1 / Damage Control 1 / Steering Gears 2

Stats:

• Survival rate 35%
  • Kills /damage per game 0.87 / 47,855 
    • 0.61 main battery
    • 0.11 fire
    • 0.08 secondary guns
    • 0.08 ramming
  • Capture contribution 7% / Defense contribution 8%
  • Damage on spotting 17,015
  • Aircraft shot down per game 1.29
  • Main battery accuracy 25% 
  • Average XP 921 

My general strategy tends to be to try to tank - soak a lot of enemy fire and attention. I'm coming out ahead on the kill / death ratio and win rate, so I'm not doing horrifically badly. I tend to reserve AP main battery shells for cruisers, and the occasional exposed broadside; seeing 970s is a bit of a downer.

Zim_Xero #2 Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Your stats are better than your WinRate would suggest.  I think you are looking at bad luck or a bad start while ranking your commander.  I suggest adding Adrenaline Rush... it will effectively add 3,000+ damage per battle for you.  A spare point in Expert Loader is good too... and leads to a suggestion of switching between HE and AP at opportune moments.  If a DD battle is forthcoming.. it makes sense to switch to HE for a bit.  Another piece of advice is that if you are tanking and dying... play the Dunk like a Cruiser instead, and see the difference it makes.  I've done well in all of my BBs except the German ones for some reason.  Your Dunk stats almost match my Gneis and Tirpitz stats.

Edited by Zim_Xero, 14 May 2017 - 07:51 PM.

Tier V -   Konig   Kongo   Furutaka   Zuiho   Texas   Marbelhead   Okhotnik   Kamikaze   

Tier VI -  Budyonny   Aoba   Leander   Arizona   Anshan   Dunkerque   Graf Spee   Warspite

Tier VII - Algerie   Gneisenau   Shiratsuyu   Fiji   Saipan   Leningrad   Scharnhorst   Atlanta   Hood   Belfast   Blyskawica

Tier VIII+  Z-46   Grozovoi   Khabarovsk   Shokaku   Missouri   Atago   Alabama   Tirpitz   Lo Yang   Mikhail Kutuzov

BrushWolf #3 Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

Rear Admiral

• Alpha Tester

View PostZim_Xero, on 14 May 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

Your stats are better than your WinRate would suggest.  I think you are looking at bad luck or a bad start while ranking your commander.  I suggest adding Adrenaline Rush... it will effectively add 3,000+ damage per battle for you.  A spare point in Expert Loader is good too... and leads to a suggestion of switching between HE and AP at opportune moments.  If a DD battle is forthcoming.. it makes sense to switch to HE for a bit.  Another piece of advice is that if you are tanking and dying... play the Dunk like a Cruiser instead, and see the difference it makes.  I've done well in all of my BBs except the German ones for some reason.  Your Dunk stats almost match my Gneis and Tirpitz stats.

Using a cruiser style of play helps but bow and to an extent stern on you are incredibly tanky.

Ich lasse mir doch nicht mein Schiff unter dem Arsch wegschießen. Feuererlaubnis! (I'm not letting my ship get shot out from under my arse. Open fire!) Ernst Lindemann Captain KMS Bismarck

Zero_Kelvin #4 Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Always remember that Dunkerque should NOT be played like a normal battleship. She excels at hunting destroyers and cruisers, and she has a great advantage by not having to broadside.

Id reccomend boosting her concealment as much as possible and speccing her to boost her accuracy as much as possible, because her secondaries arent exactly great and her AA is average at best.

Most importantly, roll with your teammates, because she struggles on her own.

Edited by Zero_Kelvin, 14 May 2017 - 09:05 PM.

This user has been DELETED

Herr_Reitz #5 Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:41 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

Yup... she plays differently. I find a whole lot of HE works wonders... I switch to AP only when it seems a [edited]opportunity is heading my way. I've seen some folks playing her on YT... and the general consensus is set a red on fire, find another, do the same, then switch back to the first, rinse, repeat. 

dEsTurbed1 #6 Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Ahh the joy of sitting bow on with all your firepower....

Until your team does around you and you flanked....

I too love my dunk and her playstyle.

I flex and create stopping points at choke points withdrawing when necessary.

I will take your build, as my captain is now in a tier 6 cruisrr....

Might want to switch a piracy out for secondarirs

THIS IS NOT WORLD OF BATTLESHIPS...CRY MORE AND IT WILL BE....

"REMOVE STEALTH TORP CHEAT"-Forum topic  found 4/17

If you wanted nuetuered IJN destroyers you succeeded. You could give them 3 sec turret rotation and rail guns to 20 km...it's lack of rof and stealthy torps that are needed.

Sventex #7 Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostThe_Horned_King, on 14 May 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

Okay, so my Dunkerque is my most played ship, and also my highest win percentage out of any of my front page (currently down to 58.2% but still holding out okay). I feel like I've hit a plateau and I'm considering respeccing my captain skills or upgrades, among other things. Here's what I've got:

Captain skills: Preventative Maintenance / Expert Marksman / Basic Firing Training / Advanced Firing Training + Fire Resistance (currently with 1 spare point and another coming soon).

Upgrades: Main Armaments 1 / Aiming Systems 1 / Damage Control 1 / Steering Gears 2

Stats:

• Survival rate 35%
  • Kills /damage per game 0.87 / 47,855 
    • 0.61 main battery
    • 0.11 fire
    • 0.08 secondary guns
    • 0.08 ramming
  • Capture contribution 7% / Defense contribution 8%
  • Damage on spotting 17,015
  • Aircraft shot down per game 1.29
  • Main battery accuracy 25% 
  • Average XP 921 

My general strategy tends to be to try to tank - soak a lot of enemy fire and attention. I'm coming out ahead on the kill / death ratio and win rate, so I'm not doing horrifically badly. I tend to reserve AP main battery shells for cruisers, and the occasional exposed broadside; seeing 970s is a bit of a downer.

Okay, so here, I've recorded this replay from a match from yesterday.  Not my best game by a long shot, but I wanted something where I was mid tier.  It sounds like your having a problem with tactics, which appear to be the opposite of mine.  My Dunkerque and Admiral is set up as a full AA build, so yours is already better at combat then mine.

Since the ship has some of the weakest armor of all Battleships, I do not try to tank with it at the start of a match.  Any ships that has 15in guns or more, I keep a healthy distance from, and concentrate my fire on those ships.  It's important to keep my distance so my heal parties can keep up.  The Dunkerque is a powerful ship in the end game, where most ships are dead.  Then it becomes a very powerful tank when most of the 15, 16in guns are at the bottom of the ocean.  That's when I become super-aggressive.

Edit: Another thing to discuss is shell type.  The HE shells on the Dunkerque are very very good.  I almost always have HE loaded.  The only time I load AP is when there's a ship sailing broadside, and holding steady.  The AP shells are very unreliable, so I only use them when I have the opportunity to delete a cruiser or Battleship.  But if the ship is using evasive maneuvers, I hit them with HE, it knocks out their engines repeatedly, cripples their rudder, and sets them on fire. A lot of cruisers aren't running with last stand.  It's reliable damage that disables them and I don't have to worry about overpens or shells bouncing off a bow or stern.  In this match alone, I set 15 fires.

Spoiler

Edited by Sventex, 15 May 2017 - 05:11 PM.

"The world is not beautiful; and that, in a way, lends it a sort of beauty."

The_Horned_King #8 Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:12 PM

Seaman

• Members

Okay, so one thing mentioned a couple times is that I should perhaps use the HE even more. Should I be looking to invest in Inertia-Fused HE, Demolition Expert, or both?

Carrier_Lexington #9 Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:36 AM

Ensign

• Members

View PostThe_Horned_King, on 15 May 2017 - 05:12 PM, said:

Okay, so one thing mentioned a couple times is that I should perhaps use the HE even more. Should I be looking to invest in Inertia-Fused HE, Demolition Expert, or both?

Demolition Expert. Your HE has enough penetration, what you want are more fires. I'd go DE + CE.

"Heresy!"

Sventex #10 Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:31 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostThe_Horned_King, on 15 May 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:

You should also consider mounting the India X-Ray, and Victor Lima flags, with demo expert to bring up the HE fire chance to 39%.

"The world is not beautiful; and that, in a way, lends it a sort of beauty."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users