Need tips for New York

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

DirkDaring0 #1 Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

Just got the New York, was really hoping it would be miles better than the Wyoming. My shots go all over the place, the spread is just terrible. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Other BBs always seem to have a tighter spread. Is the ship that bad or am I doing something wrong?

Edited by DirkDaring0, 14 May 2017 - 02:33 PM.

FayFay731 #2 Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:35 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Get closer, find a DD who can smoke you if you are in trouble. Dispersion is horrible at long range. Just get closer to your target and your shots will land more often.

ImperialArmament #3 Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:58 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

How To NY 101:

1. Forget about your central turret. It's almost useless except when nearly broadside, and isn't worth the risk.

2. Grab the propulsion upgrade first. 21kn may be bad, but it's better than stock.

3. Use a better crosshair than the default one (changed in settings). The one I use right now is called something like "Type 9". If it has diagonal lines for when the enemy is angled, it's good to use.

4. Always, always never stop moving and turning. The NY is a brick and you must use her brick-y-ness to your advantage to dodge torpedoes. Always be changing course and speed.

5. Learn how to aim. There are several good guides on the forums and on YouTube (iChase, Flamu, Notser, etc.) to use.

6. The NY's dispersion isn't very good, especially when considering her arcs. Her armor is thick enough, however, that you can usually afford to get closer, where dispersion plays less of a factor. Always remember to be maneuvering in case of torps.

Side Note: USN BB dispersion is pretty bad at long ranges until the Iowa, where you can get APRM2 as an upgrade. You should be at close-to-medium ranges until you're done with the Colorado, then move to medium ranges with the NC.

7. If there's a DD near you with a smoke, go into the smoke and hit your enemies while they can't see you.

8. Most importantly, the NY is T5, which means its MM is crap. If you have friends who play T5 CVs, try divisioning with them and you shouldn't see more than T6.

The NY is one of the worst places on the USN BB grind, right next to the old stock Colorado (*shudder*). Stick to it, as the NM is better and the newer version of the Colorado is hilarious when top tier, not to mention the incredibly strong high-tiers, where you get to hurl trucks at enemy broadsides and laugh as you farm Devastating Strikes. 

Capt. Build (assuming you're moving up the tree to the end):

1. Priority Target (or Preventative Maintenance if you feel your turrets are lost too often)

2. Expert Marksman for WD-40 on your incredibly slow turning-turrets

3. Superintendent for extra health perks

4. Concealment Expert to be a stealthy ninja. Worth it, especially when you can get the NC's detection range down to 11.7km.

Take these as your core build. Then if you still have points left over, take Basics of Survivability and Fire Prevention, to stand against HE stupidity. Or Basic & Advanced Firing Training plus Adrenaline Rush to stand against stupidity all together.

Favorite botes to play as of now: Scharnhorst, Belfast, Tirpitz, Dunkerque, Iowa, & Hiryū

Planned additions to port: Montana, Nagato

Welcoming IJN Aircraft Carrier Hiryū to my Port!

Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper #4 Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:06 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Also, get the range upgrade that opens up in the T5 slot. Because of how dispersion works, your longer range will result in better dispersion at closer ranges (<14 km)

"I had to find myself another flagship because I could no longer exercise command from one which was shot to pieces."

Ships in Port:

German Tech Tree Suggestion     Enable Training Rooms Manually

Psycodiver #5 Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostAdmiral_Franz_von_Hipper, on 14 May 2017 - 04:06 PM, said:

Also, get the range upgrade that opens up in the T5 slot. Because of how dispersion works, your longer range will result in better dispersion at closer ranges (<14 km)

It doesn't work like that, dispersion is linear and doesn't change it's ratio regardless of range

pmgaudio #6 Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:52 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

the best way to play the NY is to get to the NM as fast as you  can....

“Leave the gun....
Take the Cannoli”
  __Clemenza

:child:

vonKaiser #7 Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

New York is a frustrating ship that requires you to know exactly what you can and can't do.  For me it was tough because when I was on the NY I was also transitioning from Cruiser only to "All of the ships".  Learning how to angle + New York Bow armor = Frustration.  found myself chasing my tail far too often thinking I was doing something wrong when I was doing it right, it's just the ship.   

Major things I can say?      

• Forget you have turret 3.  Seriously.  Opening up yourself to use it is what a player will wait for so they can punish you for it.     
  • Pick a direction and stick with it.  Too slow to be going back and forth    
  • Focus on what you can kill 1st.  Your dispersion isn't the greatest but at long range all you need is one, maybe two shells from all those barrels to land in a cruiser citadel to outright delete him or make him have to play conservatively for the rest of the game.     
  • Angle, don't bow tank.  Her nose armor is poor, you want to be at a slight angle.  Keep your front turret on target, with the back turrets a few degrees outside of being able to aim.  Let's you swing in and fire them after your opponent fires and, hopefully, they'll aim at your belt instead of the nose  
  • Don't be afraid to sling some HE, especially with the MM uptiering you.  You're going to have some nasty enemy BB's in game who aren't going to give you nice broadsides.  Lighting them on fire and getting some damage is better then bouncing.

Edited by vonKaiser, 14 May 2017 - 05:10 PM.

For the love of god Wargaming, please remove the atrocious Citadel hit noise

Sincerely, a Tinnitus sufferer. (Edit 7/7/16 - Thank you soooooo much for the change Wargaming)

Random Gaming Moments, Ship Reviews and gameplay breakdown by yours truly: https://www.youtube.com/c/vonkaiser

Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper #8 Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostPsycodiver, on 14 May 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

It doesn't work like that, dispersion is linear and doesn't change it's ratio regardless of range

Actually, the dispersion is a bit less at the same range with the APM1 upgrade without the range module.

Note the slope on the two graphs. If the dispersion with and without APM1 were linear, then the slopes would be the same.

"I had to find myself another flagship because I could no longer exercise command from one which was shot to pieces."

Ships in Port:

Urandas #9 Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Don't play new york, play real battleship. Kongo, for instance.

Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper #10 Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostUrandas, on 14 May 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

Don't play new york, play real battleship. Kongo, for instance.

To pick on specifics, Kongo is a battlecruiser, New York is the real battleship. :P

Spoiler

Ships in Port:

TenguBlade #11 Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

Forget your #3 turret exists.  Even without it you have the heaviest broadside among T5 battleships.

Only other advice I have is to stop sniping.  New York's dispersion below 12km is quite workable, and while she's not citadel-proof like Konig she does have good side armor which allows you to angle quite well.  When it comes to dealing with HE spamming cruisers, I'm afraid there's not much you can do besides attempt to drive them off with your guns.  To that end, sticking with teammates so you have additional fire support helps (especiallywhen uptiered).  New York's deck armor is awful and will suffer consistent HE penetration damage from even DDs.

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

DirkDaring0 #12 Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:24 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I'll just slug through it I guess and continue down the line as soon as I can. Will try and keep the ranges shorter. Thx all.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users