any tips on the Mahan ???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

tankkiller123453 #1 Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:02 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

OK I just got the Mahan. And so far it is a very decent ship, however, win rate is low and I'm always the one doing the work.

First battle was pretty fun, because I laughed to hard (I got team killed in the beginning of the match, by a MUSTSU !!!! its torps)

Afterward next battle I got detonated. and next also got detonated.

I also not good at torpedo aim. And a bit awkward aiming on those guns.

So anymore tips ???

Patton3rdarmy13 #2 Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:13 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Free XP out of it, JK. It is good at DD verse DD. However Tier for tier not as good as Farragut.

hangglide42 #3 Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:23 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

The Mahan is a good ship that works well as a gunship w/ decent torps once you upgrade it to get the 9.2 km torps that let you torp from stealth.  The extra 4 torps are nice once you incorporate it into your torp strategy (you can put down a normal 8 torp spread, then if the target maneuvers thinking that's it, you fire off the 4 torps from the other side.   It's also nice if you want to area deny or hit a smoked up ship when you have 12 torps instead of 8.  If I remember right, the Mahan also has a B and C hull.  My suggestion is to stay w/ the B hull ( the C hull loses one gun for slightly better AA).  When you put a Concealment captain into her she'll work pretty well.

Edited by hangglide42, 14 May 2017 - 05:27 AM.

Umikami #4 Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostPatton3rdarmy13, on 14 May 2017 - 04:13 AM, said:

Free XP out of it, JK. It is good at DD verse DD. However Tier for tier not as good as Farragut.

This.

Your next DD in the USN DD line is Benson, which, when compared to Mahan, is like being able to trade a Chevy Truck for an SL500.

Mahan is not a bad ship, per se; she does suffer from absolute crap detection range though. Benson will outperform her in almost every way.

Hang in there, bro; it gets better.

silverdahc #5 Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

It's a great support ship not necessarily a one on one ship even though it does OK it does a lot better with a buddy

"It is very hard to swim up hill."         

Mark Schlereth

JochenHeiden #6 Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I want to echo earlier sentiments, and free XP past it.  I did OK in the Mahan, but it wasn't pleasant.  The Benson is NIGHT AND DAY better than the Mahan!!

A super special thank you to Eric_Von_Hess for his incredibly generous gift of Mikhail Kutuzov!

|KRG| Kriegsmaschine - Prushn & JochenHeiden, division partners for life!

Please visit my Youtube page for exciting WOWS Battle Replays:   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCouxqbVLTQRue1omZ-INlag

bad_arcade_kitty #7 Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:12 PM

Captain

• Members

iirc i grinded through her mostly by launching torps from stealth
be kind to torpedo girls - scratching, pouncing, butt wiggling, tsundere kittens of the fleet!

BlailBlerg #8 Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Her ability to shoot 8 + 4 (12) torps is unparallelled.  Her firepower is basically Bensons, but a tier lower, for lower quality of life:  1 less torp per spread, 10sec more turret traverse, and garbage concealment.  Other than the concealment which cannot be ignored for how bad it is, Mahan basically takes premier T8 damage and puts it in T7.  So, just go around blowing stuff up.  Its very easy to get +30k dmg avg in Mahan compared to any other DD.  

dont' go in first. shadow another DD, or go in as a pair.  Wait for caps.  Let them take, then fire torps and take them back.  Kill EVERYTHING.  =)  

Mahan is ridiculously fun. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users