Single shot or salvo?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

IcyThor #1 Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

I am playing low tier CLs.  For me its better to single shot than to salvo.  With 2 of my ships I have enough guns and ROF that I can drop a shell on an enemy ship about as fast as I can left click.  It has to be demoralizing to the enemy to die in small pieces.  BBs are the best to single shot.  Most BB drivers tend to not pay much attention to my ship and I can put 40-60 rounds of HE into a BB and burn it to the waterline.  Also, single shot allows me to alter my aim as the enemy ship maneuvers which is more effective against DDs.  Salvo is all or nothing.  Your comments?

DerKrampus #2 Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

Ensign

• Members

I prefer salvo fire on all ships.  It allows me to get the most shots into the target upon initially breaking concealment.  If I catch a ship broadside, it's getting all 12 barrels.  Ripple-firing would give them time to start turning or angling once they know they're being fired upon.  Furthermore, having all the guns reloading at once gives me a bit of a window to right-click and scan for threats in-between shots.

Heavybarrel120mm #3 Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:24 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

To me I usually like to fire in full salvos because they seem more accurate than single shots. Also if a ship is raining down shells on me in a constant stream I'm going to focus on and swat him down like an annoying fly. My advice to you is just play the way that is most comfortable to you. If you like to fire single shot and it works for you then just keep on doing that, but don't be afraid to try out different things from time to time.

Estimated_Prophet #4 Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:02 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostDerKrampus, on 13 May 2017 - 03:21 PM, said:

I prefer salvo fire on all ships.  It allows me to get the most shots into the target upon initially breaking concealment.  If I catch a ship broadside, it's getting all 12 barrels.  Ripple-firing would give them time to start turning or angling once they know they're being fired upon.  Furthermore, having all the guns reloading at once gives me a bit of a window to right-click and scan for threats in-between shots.

This; though in some close fights, (under 5k,) with ships like St Louis and Emden/Dresden, I'll sometimes fire hose because it's easier to shoot and maneuver at the same time that way.

Forget Ise! Give me Hyuuga!!!

pmgaudio #5 Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:19 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

If I am shooting at a target that is 100% [edited]then I shoot the whole thing... If I think he will turn I wait a second and if he does not turn, let fly the shells...
IF he starts to turn or is turning I pick my spot(s) and ripple fire all my guns in the path of the turn... and that usually makes for some interesting chat after a few turns...

If you fire a full salvo and he turns as you fire, you will miss most if not all... if you send ONE shell and bait him to turn..? then ripple fire is a safe bet to land more than a few...

“Leave the gun....
Take the Cannoli”
  __Clemenza

:child:

IcyThor #6 Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:08 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View Postpmgaudio, on 13 May 2017 - 10:19 PM, said:

If I am shooting at a target that is 100% [edited]then I shoot the whole thing... If I think he will turn I wait a second and if he does not turn, let fly the shells...
IF he starts to turn or is turning I pick my spot(s) and ripple fire all my guns in the path of the turn... and that usually makes for some interesting chat after a few turns...

If you fire a full salvo and he turns as you fire, you will miss most if not all... if you send ONE shell and bait him to turn..? then ripple fire is a safe bet to land more than a few...

This is why single shot works well for me.  When a target is bow or stern to me and zig zagging, I fire one to his port, one straight on and one to his starboard.  One will usually land and sometimes I get 2 hits.  Often the driver gets so annoyed he will do a kamikaze run straight at me and that's when I angle myself to bring most of my guns to bear.

Shadeylark #7 Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:19 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

Salvo most of the time, especially when target is broadside and begging to eat multiple citadel and be insta deleted.

Ripple fire at multiple points along the targets axis of direction when it's a wiggly bastard so I ensure at least one or two shells hit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users