Best Cruiser line?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Captain_Rawhide #1 Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

Seaman

• Members

Hi;

What is the best cruiser line and what is the best ship in the line?

Thanks

Goose21891 #2 Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

Fleet Admiral

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Depends entirely on your play style.

pufek #3 Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Personally I like the German T10 Hindemburg, otherwise  what Goose21891 ​said entirely up to your play style. On popularity Russian line with the Moskva on top.:P

Life it is to short to be wasted in stupid things, so enjoy it to the fullest.

Wulfgarn #4 Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostGoose21891, on 13 May 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

Depends entirely on your play style.

^this"

Regardless of line, different ships at different tiers are considered better overall to their counter parts.

I assume you're trying to get an idea on which one to grind through?

Highest. CV USN Independence BB USN Colorado CA USN New Orleans GER Yorck  RN Leander DD USN Gearing IJN Shimakaze VMF Khab

Premium. Kamikaze R. Blyskawica. Leningrad. Belfast. Graf Spee, Konig Albert. Ishizuchi. Marblehead. Texas. Arizona. Sims. Atlanta. Indianapolis. Kutuzov. Tirpitz. Gremyashchy. Murmansk. Molotov. Prinz Eugen. Scharnhorst. Warspite. Anshan. Lo Yang
Intel I5-3570K @ 3.4GHz . GTX 750 Ti (Max settings). 16 GB Ram . Win 7 Pro 64-bit . SSD 120GB (OS only) . SSD 250GB (Gaming) . Mechanical 2TB (Storage)

dust340man #5 Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I'm only up to Tier 7 in US, IJN and German cruisers. I have the Premium Tier 6 Russian Molotov. I like them all but I would give the edge to the Tier 7 IJN Myoko and ARP ships due to their larger health pool..

Edited by dust340man, 13 May 2017 - 05:00 PM.

American ships: St. Louis, Phoenix, Pensacola, New York, Texas, Colorado, Wickes, Farragut, Mahan, Sims       Russian ships: Orlan, Bogatyr, Svetlana, Murmansk, Molotov, Derzki, Gnevny, Ognevoi  

Japanese shipsSouthern Dragon, ARP Ashigara, ARP Hagura, ARP Nachi, ARP Myoko, Ishizuchi, ARP Heil, ARP Kongo, ARP Krishima, ARP Haruna, Nagato, Umikaze, Mutsuki, Fubuki, Hatsuhuru, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu      German ships: Konigsberg, Yorck, Nassau, Konig, Bayern, Gneisenau, Tirpitz , G-101       

DukeRamulots #6 Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

as said already it depends on your playstyle... to a degree. 

The Moskva(like most of the Russian ships) is built to be a better Des Moines(my favorite ship) and does everything better than it. 

The Hindenberg and the Zao are the two most well rounded ships and the Mino is like playing a flotilla of DD's all welded together. 

garfield001 #7 Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostCaptain_Rawhide, on 13 May 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

Hi;

What is the best cruiser line and what is the best ship in the line?

Thanks

As other have mentioned, it really depends on playstyle.

However, here's what you can expect:

Japan: Very versatile line. I don't think there are any bad ships in the whole line. Tier 10's Zao and tier 7's Myoko are the highlight imho. (Kuma is awesome too, but it's tier 4, so nobody really cares...)

United States: Very good until tier 7, where the gameplay changes drastically. They're not bad, but they are harder to play. They have awesome AA capabilities. You get a no fly zone around you on most ships. I'd say Tier 6's Cleveland and Tier 10's Des Moines are the highlights.

Russia: Very good line overall. They are mostly long range HE spammers. They turn like BBs and are very squishy, but they have a good rate of fire and can make a BB's life miserable. I personnally think this is the line where all the ships feel the same, starting at tier 6 (Except for the Tier 10, which is very different from the whole line). I'm not sure which ship is the highlight in this one. They're all pretty good. Moskva can be a beast at Tier 10, but she almost feels like a BB.

Germany: Probably the weakest of the cruiser lines. They have weak HE but awesome AP. It's harder to make good use of them. It's a line where you really need to know when to use HE or AP to make the most of it. It may be a little controversial, but imho, Tier's 8 Hipper and Tier's 9 Roon are very good.

United Kingdom: Very bad until tier 6. Tier 5's Emerald is probably one of the worst ship in the game. Past that, they are very good. They are however pretty hard to play (even by Cruisers standard). They are generally very squishy and do not have HE shells. You will have to play carefully. I haven't player the Minotaur, but Tier 7's Fiji is definitely the highlight of this line. It's borderline OP if you ask me.

France: Haven't played them enough yet. Low tiers are fun but very squishy.

For the line as a whole, I'd say either Japan or Russia are the best ones. They don't really have any bad ships. They have very different playstyle though.

hangglide42 #8 Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:23 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View Postgarfield001, on 13 May 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:

As other have mentioned, it really depends on playstyle.

However, here's what you can expect:

Japan: Very versatile line. I don't think there are any bad ships in the whole line. Tier 10's Zao and tier 7's Myoko are the highlight imho. (Kuma is awesome too, but it's tier 4, so nobody really cares...)

United States: Very good until tier 7, where the gameplay changes drastically. They're not bad, but they are harder to play. They have awesome AA capabilities. You get a no fly zone around you on most ships. I'd say Tier 6's Cleveland and Tier 10's Des Moines are the highlights.

Russia: Very good line overall. They are mostly long range HE spammers. They turn like BBs and are very squishy, but they have a good rate of fire and can make a BB's life miserable. I personnally think this is the line where all the ships feel the same, starting at tier 6 (Except for the Tier 10, which is very different from the whole line). I'm not sure which ship is the highlight in this one. They're all pretty good. Moskva can be a beast at Tier 10, but she almost feels like a BB.

Germany: Probably the weakest of the cruiser lines. They have weak HE but awesome AP. It's harder to make good use of them. It's a line where you really need to know when to use HE or AP to make the most of it. It may be a little controversial, but imho, Tier's 8 Hipper and Tier's 9 Roon are very good.

United Kingdom: Very bad until tier 6. Tier 5's Emerald is probably one of the worst ship in the game. Past that, they are very good. They are however pretty hard to play (even by Cruisers standard). They are generally very squishy and do not have HE shells. You will have to play carefully. I haven't player the Minotaur, but Tier 7's Fiji is definitely the highlight of this line. It's borderline OP if you ask me.

France: Haven't played them enough yet. Low tiers are fun but very squishy.

For the line as a whole, I'd say either Japan or Russia are the best ones. They don't really have any bad ships. They have very different playstyle though.

Very NIce summary! - One general comment is that I think Cruisers are a lot more enjoyable if you're comfortable with a lot of active maneuvering in your game.  It greatly helps if you feel comfortable baiting and dodging shots, especially at high tiers, as you create havoc for BBs and DDs.

Japan: The Ibuki is also a lot of fun to play w/ 10 km torps and good concealment & guns.  The Mogami at Tier VIII w/ it's recent buff to turret traverse for it's 155 mm guns makes it a terror for BBs and DDs.  As garfield pointed out, the Myoko is fun, but it's possible to configure this ship so it's maneuver is better than it's turret traverse so you wind up waiting for its turrets or using the ship to help bring the guns to bear - also it has a weak stern and you tend to lose your steering a lot in that ship.

US: The Baltimore, especially with it's recent ROF buff is pretty fun to play as a promise of what the Des Moines will bring at Tier X (w/ slower ROF, but better concealment) - played as a radar cruiser w/ US radar active times, it's pretty decent.  Also, US AP shells hit pretty hard and do huge damage to broadside BBs if you hit them in the right spot.   I'd say, the Pensacola teaches you to maneuver to protect your citadel (but has good guns, 10 of them) - the only lukewarm reaction I had was to the New Orleans which was unspectacular (but if angled right her armor could help in some circumstances).

Russia: As long as you feel comfortable maneuvering (such as you can since some ships such as the Schors have a very large turning circle), these cruisers are the bane of BBs - Great fire spamming fun if you outfit IFHE and Demo Expert on most of the 152mm gun ships.   Chappy is a fun brother to the Premium Kutuzov (but with radar on its upgraded hull, tho short ranged torps).  Donskoi continues the tradition w/ long range (but short duration radar), tho this ship is pretty big & visible and maneuvers none too well.

Germany: HE may be relatively weak and AP, tho potent has shatter potential - BUT - the HE still can light fires and shouldn't be ignored and the AP at closer ranges packs the best punch of the Cruisers per tier.  This line also has what I consider a unique feature in that the ship layouts are different, which offers a lot of fun in that it's 1) A cruiser analogy to the German BB line (i.e. the Hipper & Hindenburg are the cruiser analogies to the Bismarck/FDG & GK) 2) the uniqueness of 2 different playstyles due to gun layout (i.e. the Hipper/Hindenburg have a AB-XY turret arrangement w/ twin and triple guns per turret and the Konisberg/Nurnberg/Roon have a A-XY turret arrangement which leads to a more kiting style of play since your guns are more in the rear).

UK: In total agreement w garfield - Everything is worth the grind AFTER the Emerald.  I'm keeping all the British CLs from Tier VI on because they are really fun to play.

France: Definitely need to use speed and maneuver with this line due to the squishiness, but has the best speed of all the cruiser lines (especially if fitted w/ the special upgrade which gives you DD level speeds for most of the game w/ minimal cooldowns.  They have fairly long ranged (9km) torps after a certain tier giving some IJN Cruiser type capabilities w/ arguably better firing arcs (IJN cruisers largely can only torp you from their rear quarter) and they can fire spam like the Russian Cruisers (so outfit IFHE & Demo Expert as appropriate).

Edited by hangglide42, 13 May 2017 - 07:29 PM.

yashma #9 Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostDukeRamulots, on 13 May 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

The Moskva(like most of the Russian ships) is built to be a better Des Moines(my favorite ship) and does everything better than it. 

Not really, the Des Moines has far superior DPM and absolutely devastates the Moskva in close quarters.  The Des Moines is also stealthier with better AAA and a longer lasting radar, which coupled with its better RoF and DPM makes it a much better DD killer.

I do feel the Moskva is a better ship overall do it having much better arcs which allows it to fit the meta better, but it certainly does not do "everything better"

even524 #10 Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Which of the following describe you the best? [1]arrogant leader, [2]friendly coordinator, [3]isolated lone wolf, or [4] not fit to any stereo type?

Case [1]: I suggest not playing cruiser at all, you would charge with your fragile cruiser and win the nick name of 'first blood medal issuer'. if you insist, US cruiser is the best for close range battle although I strongly suggest buying a Scharnhorst.

Case [2]: US, German and English cruiser are all good fit. While you will not lead the push, your friendly DD/BB love your companion and you win together.

Case [3]: Soviet cruiser is the best, you stay away and cast flame or AP shell of death to enemy fleet 

Case [4]: Japanese cruiser is the most versatile cruiser line

I haven't play French cruiser enough to say something about it.

Regarding the best line: Soviet BB line is the best.

OK, OK, let's be serious. It is Japanese CV. Just check the win rate - it's better than US every single tier, and it will stay that way until WG harvest enough money from the desperate US CV players with the introduction of T8 premium CV USS Enterprise.

Edited by even524, 14 May 2017 - 09:42 PM.

HIGHEST: Yamato, Montana, Des Moines, Zao, Gearing, Shimakaze, Khabarovsk, Bismarck, Leander PREMIUM: Kutuzov, Atago, Lo Yang, Belfast, Blyskawika, Sims, Atlanta, Arizona, Anshan, Gremyashchy, Murmansk, Fujin, Imperator Nikolai I, Arkansas Beta, Yubari, Konig Albert

even524 signature

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users