Des Moine's hull armor only 27mm

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Urandas #1 Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:22 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Most other cruisers have a 30 mm armor plate above their main belt. I don't mean bow/stern, the center of the ship. WG has already buffed DM's center deck armor to 30 mm. I realize the DM and other American CA have been getting tweaked a lot recently so WG is probably waiting to see how current changes pan out. If WG does decides that she needs a more help I suspect and predict buffing the center armor to 30 mm would be the next step.

Do you think the recent buffs have been helping the 8 inch machine gun that floats, or made her more fun to play? What are your thoughts?

Rolkatsuki #2 Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:52 AM

Admiral of the Navy

• Members

it's helping a bit mitigate being power creeped by the other cruisers so I'll let the tweaks to the US cruisers pass.

The Great South Land's most truculent Dunkerque captain~

2s1vtak.png

yamatotamura #3 Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:51 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

Des Moines is played by giving a middle finger to all planes and DD's.... wait isn't that how you're supposed to play it?

Yes I know I suck but its either talent or repetitiveness.

Cruiser_Chicago #4 Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

The buff helps if BBs try to shoot at you from a distance because the shells are more likely to auto-bounce off of your 30mm deck. Although some stray shells might still hit the 27mm armor belt and penetrate due to overmatch. In general, this buff means you will be taking less damage from BBs overall as long as you're not giving them broadside.

Gone are the ridiculous 20k+ salvos through the deck from before. But you're still in for a "World of Hurt" if you get too close to BBs because then their shells will fly straight into your belt and wreck you, instead of arcing onto your deck. I always found it strange how every T10 CA including Henri IV has at least 30mm of upper belt and deck armor, but DM gets stuck with 27mm.

TenguBlade #5 Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

Vice Admiral

• Members

Des Moines still doesn't bounce reliably, but she no longer squishes as easily from long range.  BB dispersion simply does not make getting enough upper-belt pens to kill her a common occurrence even when broadside beyond 12-ish km, and at those ranges a Des Moines can already be scoring consistent hits on you even without a unicum at the helm.  Her problem originally was that she got vaporized by ships that she had no way of dealing with.  With CVs largely-gone, she's lost the handicap of being spotted by them even if she was always practically immune to their attacks, and the introduction of radar made spotting her with a DD without being spotted yourself (and thus crushed) much harder - full stealth build DM has a 10.65km spotting range, and the radar goes out to 9.9km.  This latest buff is a rather-effective compensation for the removal of stealth-fire as it allows her to open up without fear of being instantly erased by enemy battleships from any angle at long range.

She could still use a bit of a survivability buff without being OP, but if she gets one it will have to be her side armor.  And the problem is that she absolutely does not need her entire hull to 30mm and never will - that much survivability on a floating machine gun that can reliably print citadel ribbons against angled battleships at 7km is a recipe for disaster.  What WG needs to do is divide the unarmored hull into two sections, and make the lower section 30 while keeping the upper piece at 27 or even reducing it to 25.

Edited by TenguBlade, 11 May 2017 - 08:06 AM.

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users