Healthy Number of DD's in each match

DDs Matchmaking Balence

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Preferable Number of DD's per match (40 members have cast votes)

How many DD's should each team have?

1. 0 - Who needs DD's anyway? I hate torpedo's. (1 vote [2.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

2. 1-2 - Pretty reasonable choice (7 votes [15.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

3. 3-4 - Ditto above (30 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

4. 5-6 - You want half the ships in the match to all be the same class? (4 votes [8.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.89%

5. 6-7 - You either play an Atlanta or really love torpedo-beats. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. 8-9 - Doesn't this seem a bit excessive? (1 vote [2.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

7. 9-10 - Guess you just really like DD's then? (0 votes [0.00%])

8. 10-11 - Shouldn't there be some other class's present too? (0 votes [0.00%])

9. 12 - WORLD OF DD's!!!! (2 votes [4.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Jnobsir #1 Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:36 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Earlier today I came across an enemy BB who voiced the opinion that no match should ever have 5 DD's per team. That really got me thinking, what would the prefect number of DD's per team in a match be? Personally I'd say 3-4 is right in the sweet spot.

What do you think? Put your reasoning below.

Edited by Jnobsir, 10 May 2017 - 09:58 PM.

Greetings, I am Sir J. Nobsir, Knight of the Table which was once Square, The Esteemed Duke of Somewhere Else, Lord of the Shining Seas, Admiral of the Red Swedish Fish, Baron of Barn-doors, Defender of the Alliance, Conqueror of Catan, Door Keeper of Downtown, Earl of Eating Utensils, Protector of the Prune turned Potato, Man Slightly Qualified to Potentially Lead Some Kind of Expedition, Overload of Overthinking, Prince of Powder-kegs, Croissant Connoisseur and Overall Master of Ludicrous and Stupid Self Bestowed Titles.

KmsH44 #2 Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:38 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

2-3, more and they lose value, less and they become "OP."

CorradoG60 #3 Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I would have to say 2-4 unless they're all Grem's or Kami R's.

MrDeaf #4 Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:56 PM

Admiral

• Members

not even DD captains like 5 DDs on each side.

Primarily because you just never know when they are sailing in a pack and you have to wade through red DDs in order to kill those red BBs sitting in the back.

Edited by MrDeaf, 10 May 2017 - 09:57 PM.

Now with more Youtube.

Subscribe to this thread for latest videos: http://forum.worldof...youtube-videos/

The Corgiolis Effect: When you notice you need more torpedoes on your ship

TenguBlade #5 Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:17 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

It doesn't matter how many there are.  What matters is whether there's a proportionate number of cruisers to deal with them.   You could have 6 DDs and 6 CAs and it would be fine - that happens all the time in low-tier, and I see no complaints about too many ships of one type there...

Edited by TenguBlade, 10 May 2017 - 10:29 PM.

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

Special_Kay #6 Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:41 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers

Four gives a good number. If we only had one destroyer line, I'd say three would suffice and two in a pinch, but we have 4–6 destroyer lines, depending on the tier we're looking at. With four, the impact of one team having an extra torpedo ninja or an extra cap brawler is no big deal, whereas with three the difference is more potent.

That and I'm just not really hot on the idea that capital ships should approach half the match's population: when battleships are in the minority, they are a valuable asset worth planning around; the same is true when cruisers and destroyers combined are a minority, and I just don't agree with a game that makes trading a battleship for an enemy destroyer worthwhile.

I am on vacation through June and into July 2017. There will be stretches where I am around infrequently, interspersed with stretches of complete absence.
Learn how to quantify the effect of fire chance modifications!

Enable replays! You never know when you will discover a bug or witness someone exploiting or being abusive, and demonstrating it to WG staff is much more difficult without a replay.

WanderingGhost #7 Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:53 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Alpha Tester

Ideally: 2-3, 4 max. 

5 is excessive, except in low tiers where really only CL/A and DD are options with the occasional BB. 2-3 gives you some real scouting (they can spot ships sooner than planes and go completely undetected still) but not a bunch of invisible ships launching unrelenting waves of torps or literally burning everything to the ground. 4 gets into territory that's just a bit much, and that's from a guy that has no issues chasing a DD down to close range fights in a BB. It'd be like if we allowed 3 CV's again if we keep with the 5+.

Jakajan #8 Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:13 PM

Ensign

• Members

I like 4 or 5.

DerKrampus #9 Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:16 PM

Ensign

• Members

Voted 3-4.  This being a team game, I do feel that a single player, (unless they're just making some FANTASTIC plays) should not have a disproportionate impact on the entire team's fate.  When a team only has 1-2 DDs, (Let's say 1) and othat one DD goes charging out and potatoes within the first 5 minutes of the game, your whole team is then severely hampered in its ability to either spot the enemy effectively, screen with smoke, or contest caps.  

Having 3-4 DDs on each side, (with 3 seeming to be ideal for balance,) allows the team some leeway to absorb that one occasional potato and maintain effectiveness.  Once you move up into 4,5 or more-DD territory, then the game quickly devolves into a foggy, torpedo-soupy mess, where everyone's afraid to push and no one can see anyone else for the first half of the game.

Zim_Xero #10 Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

0 - 12  is my vote.

Tier V -   Konig   Kongo   Furutaka   Zuiho   Texas   Marbelhead   Okhotnik   Kamikaze   

Tier VI -  Budyonny   Aoba   Leander   Arizona   Anshan   Dunkerque   Graf Spee   Warspite

Tier VII - Algerie   Gneisenau   Shiratsuyu   Fiji   Saipan   Leningrad   Scharnhorst   Atlanta   Hood   Belfast   Blyskawica

Tier VIII+  Z-46   Grozovoi   Khabarovsk   Shokaku   Missouri   Atago   Alabama   Tirpitz   Lo Yang   Mikhail Kutuzov

Also tagged with DDs, Matchmaking, Balence

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users