Algerie Rudder

algerie rudder

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Landing_Skipper #1 Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:41 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

I get my rudder shot out more often on this ship than any other.  Dropping Engine Boost Mod 1 for Steering Gears Mod 1 helped a little, but it is horrifying to be kiting away, lighting things on fire, when suddenly you start turning in a circle... right in front of the ships you've been setting on fire and pissing off.

1 skill point will buy me Preventative Maintenance.  Will that help much?

I assume Last Stand would help - that's what Blyskawica and others with fragile butts really need.  I just hate to spend 2 skill points on LS for a cruiser.  However, I really want the longer engine boost back!

"Plan to be wrong about something." PRR (he knows who he is)

Battleship_Dunkerque #2 Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Just respec into LS and reinstall your engine boost mod.

PrairiePlayer #3 Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I found the same problem with the Myoko.  Last Stand became a necessity, but worth the cost to play the ship.  Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches a little and recognize that different ships require different handling.  

renegadestatuz #4 Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

Captain

• Members

The line has this same problem all the way up. And it gets worse going up the line, so be prepared. Both in the Martel and Saint-Louis, you will get the rudder knocked out just about every time you take a hit aft of the stack. You need to run all the rudder mods or spec LS into your build. I run the rudder mods so every time it gets knocked out, it only takes 5 seconds for the rudder to repair so it's not a big deal.

Edited by renegadestatuz, 10 May 2017 - 05:46 PM.

​Those who rebel, must be cleansed of their ways.

Landing_Skipper #5 Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:18 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostPrairiePlayer, on 10 May 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

I found the same problem with the Myoko.  Last Stand became a necessity, but worth the cost to play the ship.  Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches a little and recognize that different ships require different handling.  

Yeah heavy cruisers that excel at HE spamming while kiting tend to have this problem.  Myoko isn't anywhere near as fragile as the French though.  I put Preventative Maintenance on today and next skill point I'll drop that and add Last Stand.

Suddenly doing circles in front of battleships that you've lit on fire repeatedly is not conducive to longevity...

HazeGrayUnderway #6 Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:51 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

The first rule of French Cruisers is 'yer Rudder is going to get knocked out.

The second rule of French Cruisers is your Rudder is going to get knocked out.

As renegadeschultz said, build accordingly or be forced to use Damage Control at the worst times.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 11 May 2017 - 07:52 PM.

admiral_noone #7 Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:16 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

If French cruisers get their rudders damaged disproportionately frequently, shouldn't we investigate why that may be so? Where are their rudders placed? What is the health of that module?

Edited by admiral_noone, 14 May 2017 - 04:17 PM.

T10 ship aesthetics polls:

DDs

BBs

CA/CLs

HazeGrayUnderway #8 Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:32 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View Postadmiral_noone, on 14 May 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

If French cruisers get their rudders damaged disproportionately frequently, shouldn't we investigate why that may be so? Where are their rudders placed? What is the health of that module?

It's not a unique thing to them.  Konigsberg for example, her rudder was getting taken out all the time.  The tendency for this to happen is when these ships have to kite, so all those short shells landing around the tail of your ship can and will take the module out.

AlcatrazNC #9 Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:55 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I will not put LS on my French cruiser, it's a waste to me. I'll just wait if WG might fix this one day because right now it's really stupid and way too random. I mean i've been hit by many HE shells from BB and have nothing but fire but then the little DD HE landing 50m next to my rudder (it doesn't even hit me) and knocked it out. Really ? 

Edited by AlcatrazNC, 16 May 2017 - 12:56 AM.

Landing_Skipper #10 Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:24 AM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 14 May 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

It's not a unique thing to them.  Konigsberg for example, her rudder was getting taken out all the time.  The tendency for this to happen is when these ships have to kite, so all those short shells landing around the tail of your ship can and will take the module out.

I usually play 4-5 Co-op battles with a new ship.  When I got Blyskawica, the bots quickly taught me how easily her rudder gets shot out.  Yes, kiting is part of playing Blyskawica correctly with those 2 double turrets out back.  However, other DDs don't get their rudders wrecked by the bots at least 50% of the time. 

I run Last Stand on all DDs, and I'll run it on French cruisers until something changes. 

HazeGrayUnderway #11 Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:15 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostLanding_Skipper, on 15 May 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

I usually play 4-5 Co-op battles with a new ship.  When I got Blyskawica, the bots quickly taught me how easily her rudder gets shot out.  Yes, kiting is part of playing Blyskawica correctly with those 2 double turrets out back.  However, other DDs don't get their rudders wrecked by the bots at least 50% of the time. 

I run Last Stand on all DDs, and I'll run it on French cruisers until something changes. 

I run LS as a mandatory trait on all DDs.  It's funny seeing something like Tier IX & X DDs getting engine KO'd and sit still because their Damage Control is on CD and they neglected LS for every previous tier.  Naturally they die quickly after that :D

For French Cruisers though I do see the merit of building specifically for it.  Algerie, Charles Martel, etc, the rudder goes out easily.

Ericson38 #12 Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Have been salvoed early out of game by BBs 3 matches out of five in single volleys....so don't know about that. T7 experience.

Also tagged with algerie, rudder

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users