Premiums and power creep, thoughts on premiums done right and not.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

Jakajan #1 Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

Ensign

• Members

So, what makes a good premium ship? To me it's a ship that is sort of like the tech tree version but may have some ease of use features to make it slightly easier and funner to use without being over powered. Alabama to North Carolina for example is a good one. Pro's may like the fact that the NC has slightly more accurate guns and better AA. However scrubs like me appreciate the turret rotation and turning speed.

Hipper to Priz Eugen to me is a poor premium, it tries to be a trainer, but it is easier to use a Tirpitz or really anything other than a cruiser at this time to do the job. Maybe if the Prinz had better turret rotation or angles or maybe a 8km range torpedo for a surprise it would be easier to justify her, but as is she is a bit bleh and not interesting enough, on the other hand I do not like heavy cruisers much.

Lo Yang feels okay vs Benson. People still debate which one is better, but to be honest I feel like her torps are just slightly weaker than they ought to be, but then again the hydro on Lo Yang if used correctly will allow her to avoid torpedoes better than a Benson ever could. Overall she is a fair and interesting premium in her own right.

I'm a little concerned that the upcoming Hood and maybe to some extent Kaga will buck the trend of being interesting and instead just be more powerful. I understand the ships have some drawbacks though.

Hood is the largest ship of her tier and will suffer a massive turning penalty. Maybe she needs the kind of gun performance in rotation and penetration she has to make up for the fact that you can fire and hit her as easily as say a Yamato.

Kaga, Oh I want to get Kaga, but I'm not convinced that having a 1 tier penalty in fighter squadron level and only a single dive bomber group would make up for the fact that she has 12 torpedo bombers. She excites me yes, to be honest I don't think she will be as broken as people fear, but she will have the perception of being broken because she is sky cancer vs a lot of ships that are balanced by being strong surface ships by having weaker AA.. Dunkerque, Scharnhorst, Mutsu, just to name a few.

I could go on and on about this, but just wanted to start a discussion on the topic.

yamatotamura #2 Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

Just please don't make more Kutusov and I'll be happy. 

Kaga? No need to fear just wip out a Saipan or an Atlanta and all your problems are solved. Plus Kaga will see Baltimore's so idt its over powered at all. 

Yes I know I suck but its either talent or repetitiveness.

zFireWyvern #3 Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

Ensign

• Members

View PostJakajan, on 10 May 2017 - 09:41 AM, said:

penetration she has
What penetration? Hood's main battery armament has less penetration than Warspite's 15" guns.

Click my signature to see my historical WoWS Skins!

SgtSullyC3 #4 Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:32 AM

Ensign

• Members

View PostzFireWyvern, on 10 May 2017 - 05:27 AM, said:

What penetration? Hood's main battery armament has less penetration than Warspite's 15" guns.

...which makes no sense, since Hood was built after Warspite...

T1-3: Erie, Smith, Derski, G-101, Katori, St. Louis, Bogatyr, Friant, South Carolina

T4-6: Izyaslav, Clemson, Danae, Yūbari, Kaiser, Kamikaze, Königsberg, Omaha, Kongo, Bogue, Duca D'Aosta, Cleveland, Aoba, Perth, Ryujo, Dunkerque

T7-9: Shiratsuyu, Sims, Mahan, Atlanta, Belfast (gift from YureiKuma), Ranger, Saipan, New Orleans, North Carolina, Alabama, Lexington, Iowa, Missouri

GoalsIJN: Hiryu, Mogami - USN: Benson, Baltimore, Essex - HMS: Leander, Fiji - VMF: Podvoisky, Budyonny - MN: Emile Bertin, La Galissonnière

SireneRacker #5 Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:04 AM

Captain

• Members

I find the Eugen to be a successful ship, depending on what you are looking for. If you are looking for an overpowered Premium that is clearly superior, then you should forget her. But if you like the playstyle and like the history of the Prinz, then you have found the ideal ship for you. A Premium ship is not always a clear upgrade from the Tech Tree ship, but it shouldn't be a clone either. Eugen is neither of that, she has her differences and is not stronger than Hipper, but also not weaker.

Proud member of [WAIFU], nothing beats Prinz Eugen

Torpedoes don't have any friends. So they will kill everything in their path. To prevent team kills we should all watch out where we fire those fishes. That means each and everyone of us, DDs of the second line!

No my name does NOT refer to those things from Odysseus! They refer to those loud things attached to a fire truck. Not to beautiful girls singing on the Ocean.

_RC1138 #6 Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

Ensign

• Members

I like ships like the Molotov, Graff Spee, and Atlanta in the spirit of premiums. Ships that either don't fit in a practical way in the trees or are slightly buffed, but uptiered versions of a tree ship. NOT the Belfast which is a tree ship, 'nerfed' and dropped a tier, or a blatant better version of a tree ship like the Texas.
Never argue with a gun, it may argue back...

DasBootcamp #7 Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View Postyamatotamura, on 10 May 2017 - 02:07 AM, said:

To be fair the Kutuzov is a rare bird. She came out as a T8 with 155mm guns when AFT was HUGE. Almost everyone, not a collector, that bought her was to exploit a good stock range (16.5km iirc) with AFT to make her a fire-breathing fiend. The problem was, AFT changed not long after. And by not long I am talking weeks to a month. For WG to stand by their "we don't nerf premium's" they altered her stock range to what it is today. They didn't do that for Murmansk and such because when it first sold it wasn't looked at as an AFT product as much as MK was.

Warships Supremacy League - Task Force Apocalypse

www.twitch.tv/mrgreatergood

cmdr_raccoon #8 Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:46 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Warspite, in comparison to other tier 6 BBs (and there are many now) is a fine example of what I'd like in premiums. Something that is different, with a unique feel on its own, with clear strengths and clear weaknesses.

Tirpitz, is another kind of nice premium. It's very like its tech tree counterpart, but the difference of hydro vs torpedoes makes it a different kind of beast nonetheless, even if it's primary handling (hull agility, main gun characteristic) is the same.

Eugen is a decent ship, premium status aside, but as something to pay for, it lacks a unique play feature to differentiate it enough from tech tree. Better earning rewards only being the difference is a lazy a$$ job for making a premium. 

Blatant OP or clearly superior-than-tech-tree premium ships are just bad. I'll let people figure out which are those.

In the case of the Hood, I personally feel it can't go too wrong if they just based some stuff from Warspite (strong 15" guns, to me at least, with poor traverse) and giving it stuff that it was clearly superior; speed, HP etc) The on going list of gimmicks and stuff to make lazy players more comfy with the ship is something I am quite annoyed to see them (WG) going for.

Edited by cmdr_raccoon, 10 May 2017 - 10:47 AM.

AVR_Project #9 Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:52 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

It's all marketing.

Some folks will start a WOWS account -- just to play the Hood in battle.

It's history, it's a thrill, and for some, it's an experience they've waited their whole life for.

Might I recommend Co-Op?   Naaaaaaaa....   Co-Op is for wimps, and do it on the weekends - please.

So much has been lost, so much forgotten. So much pain, so much blood. And for what? I wonder. The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between. But there is still time to seize that one last, fragile moment. To choose something better, to make a difference.  -- Babylon 5

ZaKazan #10 Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

OP ships sell. WG charges a lot of money for the ships they sell, so people want to maximize their value. Put the hood up for $10-$15, and everyone will be driving one. No one is going to spend $50 on a ship that is just mediocre. If they put the Eugen up for $10, they'd sell thousands.

MelonFlavoredShells #11 Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters

View PostJakajan, on 10 May 2017 - 02:41 AM, said:

So, what makes a good premium ship? To me it's a ship that is sort of like the tech tree version but may have some ease of use features to make it slightly easier and funner to use without being over powered. Alabama to North Carolina for example is a good one. Pro's may like the fact that the NC has slightly more accurate guns and better AA. However scrubs like me appreciate the turret rotation and turning speed.

Hipper to Priz Eugen to me is a poor premium, it tries to be a trainer, but it is easier to use a Tirpitz or really anything other than a cruiser at this time to do the job. Maybe if the Prinz had better turret rotation or angles or maybe a 8km range torpedo for a surprise it would be easier to justify her, but as is she is a bit bleh and not interesting enough, on the other hand I do not like heavy cruisers much.

Lo Yang feels okay vs Benson. People still debate which one is better, but to be honest I feel like her torps are just slightly weaker than they ought to be, but then again the hydro on Lo Yang if used correctly will allow her to avoid torpedoes better than a Benson ever could. Overall she is a fair and interesting premium in her own right.

I'm a little concerned that the upcoming Hood and maybe to some extent Kaga will buck the trend of being interesting and instead just be more powerful. I understand the ships have some drawbacks though.

Hood is the largest ship of her tier and will suffer a massive turning penalty. Maybe she needs the kind of gun performance in rotation and penetration she has to make up for the fact that you can fire and hit her as easily as say a Yamato.

Kaga, Oh I want to get Kaga, but I'm not convinced that having a 1 tier penalty in fighter squadron level and only a single dive bomber group would make up for the fact that she has 12 torpedo bombers. She excites me yes, to be honest I don't think she will be as broken as people fear, but she will have the perception of being broken because she is sky cancer vs a lot of ships that are balanced by being strong surface ships by having weaker AA.. Dunkerque, Scharnhorst, Mutsu, just to name a few.

I could go on and on about this, but just wanted to start a discussion on the topic.

IMO, Prinz needs the Repair Party consumable. Her guns work well enough, but she can't stay active in a fight long enough to make them count.

“The trouble with most of us is that we’d rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.”

StoptheViolins #12 Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Alpha Tester

The Prinz Eugene is a candle that lights at the beginning of the match.  Eventually it just melts because it can't take fire.  The Kirk is something else, it occasionally bounces things and plays like a much better Atlanta.  I usually don't play it much because I forget I have it.  Sad, but true.  

But on topic, the only ships that stand out as OP are the Tirpitz and not so much the Shorn as most potatoes can do well in them.

Landing_Skipper #13 Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostDasBootcamp, on 10 May 2017 - 05:38 AM, said:

To be fair the Kutuzov is a rare bird. She came out as a T8 with 155mm guns when AFT was HUGE. Almost everyone, not a collector, that bought her was to exploit a good stock range (16.5km iirc) with AFT to make her a fire-breathing fiend. The problem was, AFT changed not long after. And by not long I am talking weeks to a month. For WG to stand by their "we don't nerf premium's" they altered her stock range to what it is today. They didn't do that for Murmansk and such because when it first sold it wasn't looked at as an AFT product as much as MK was.

IFHE

Kutuzov and the other Russian light cruisers were already pretty strong before this captain's skill was introduced. The ability to sit in smoke and rain down fire starting HE which also penetrates everything no matter the angle is a blast - as long as YOU are driving the Kutuzov/Belfast. 

P.S. Yes, Murmansk was an AFT cruiser. However, she was OP for Tier 5 even without it until the MatchMaking shift made T5 the worst spot in the game. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper, 10 May 2017 - 12:57 PM.

"Plan to be wrong about something." PRR (he knows who he is)

Apaosha #14 Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Is this another "cry baby" post? Oh wargaming please nerf premiums?  yea right that will never happen...

OstwindFlakpanzer #15 Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:23 PM

Seaman

• Members

facts of life for most people - If you're spending money on something, spend it on something BETTER.  I learned my lesson in WoT and I'll keep my wallet put away for premiums that aren't better than free boats.  If WG is smart, they'll keep making premium boats better and they'll keep making money.

Nachoo31 #16 Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View Postyamatotamura, on 10 May 2017 - 03:07 AM, said:

Kaga? No need to fear just wip out a Saipan or an Atlanta and all your problems are solved. Plus Kaga will see Baltimore's so idt its over powered at all. 

Good luck on that.

Looking for Clan?  TheKriegsmarines [KMS]  

Madwolf05 #17 Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:36 PM

Commander

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

Out of all the ships I own in game, this would be how I break it down:

OP Premiums:

Arkansas Beta (unless a CV is present)

Kamikaze R

Belfast

Good Premiums:
Atlanta

Alabama

Arizona

Saipan

Sims

Texas

Ishizuchi

Atago

Iwaki Alpha

Myoko Clones

Kongo Clones

Yubari

Tirpitz

Scharnhorst

Warspite

Kutuzov

Gremyashchy

Molotov

Blyskawica

Dunkerque

Perth

Duca d'Aosta

Power Creeped/Bad Premiums:

Indianapolis

Prinz Eugen

I have other lower level ships but I really don't play them so I didn't list them. 

Check out my Twitch Channel: HERE

CPU: Intel i7 3770K, MB: ASUS Maximus V, RAM: 16GB, GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7900

Wulfgarn #18 Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Well, you figure they all can't be OP. At some point they'll have no choice but to tone (no pun intended) it down.

Highest. CV USN Independence BB USN Colorado CA USN New Orleans GER Yorck  RN Leander DD USN Gearing IJN Shimakaze VMF Khab

Premium. Kamikaze R. Blyskawica. Leningrad. Belfast. Graf Spee, Konig Albert. Ishizuchi. Marblehead. Texas. Arizona. Sims. Atlanta. Indianapolis. Kutuzov. Tirpitz. Gremyashchy. Murmansk. Molotov. Prinz Eugen. Scharnhorst. Warspite. Anshan. Lo Yang
Intel I5-3570K @ 3.4GHz . GTX 750 Ti (Max settings). 16 GB Ram . Win 7 Pro 64-bit . SSD 120GB (OS only) . SSD 250GB (Gaming) . Mechanical 2TB (Storage)

gcangel82 #19 Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

Seaman

• Members

My two go to Premiums I have are Atago and Tirpitz.   Both for different reasons.    Atago where she is better than Mogami is the forward torp tubes having a forward facing arc, so you don't have to necessarily use them as you are escaping.  Is she a glass cannon, and that keeps me on my toes.  Tirpitz with the upgraded secondaries is there when I want to just tank out like in Bismarck,  I am more comfortable being up tiered in the Tirpitz and Atago than just about any other ship.  Atago can be a Pyromaniacs dream against T9-T10 BBs.

Edited by gcangel82, 10 May 2017 - 02:08 PM.

Slimeball91 #20 Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:07 PM

• Members

Actually, I'm always surprised that people are willing to shell out the kind of money WG wants for premium ships.  Some are a fairly easy decision, Belfast for example, and some ships fit perfectly with your particular play style.  Still so many premium ships are mediocre and people still buy them.  If you collect premium ships, WoWs is a really expensive game.    

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users