Größer Kurfürst, the Teutonic Knight

Größer Kurfürst Battleships German

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Graf_Von_Spee #1 Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

The Größer Kurfürst, jewel in the crown of Germany's battleship line. I call her the Teutonic Knight as seen in the title, she's massive, not maneuverable, and relatively weak to air strikes and plunging fire. Those weaknesses however, are offset by the strengths that fit my name for her so well. Insane HP pool, superb armor at medium and close range, tied with Montana for the heaviest broadside in the game, potent secondary batteries, to name the most obvious. Kurfurst is a brawler, just like all her smaller cousins in the line, in this guide I'll cover how to play around her weak points and maximize her strengths. To start with, I'll give my recommended build and modules, before going into playing with that setup. For modules, you can use either main gun caliber, if you want DPM go 406 if you want higher alpha go 420. Get main armaments 1 as you lose turrets often, choice of secondary battery or aiming systems, main battery reload, damage control 1, choice of rudder shift or damage control 2, and concealment. Captain skills wise I use preventative maintenance (again turrets) expert marksman (fast turret traverse is so strong in a brawl) adrenaline rush (you will take a lot of damage so this skill gives large boosts to DPM) superintendent (extra heal and hydro) basic firing training (decent boost to AA and secondary rate of fire) advanced firing training (AA and secondary range of course) and manual secondaries (it's a secondary build so, duh). This build as you can see is designed around maximum medium to close range lethality leaning towards your preference of main guns or secondary focus. This does not mean however, that you should Leroy Jenkins into the enemy. Hang back and conserve your HP until an opportunity to charge is presented if at all possible, this will help you late game especially. However if nothing opens up, you may be forced to make your own opportunities. Aside from this some basic points to keep in mind are:

1. Using your full broadside is tempting I know, but don't do it unless you are safe from being punished for showing side, or have a 100% kill shot lined up at close range.
  2.  Do not waste your hydro, pay attention to your surroundings and don't use it until you believe there are destroyers or other torpedo threats in the area.
  3. Prioritize targets, destroyers 14km and closer are your #1 priority, followed by cruisers, and lastly battleships. If no destroyers are around, generally you want to pick the target that is the least well angled to you, but again cruisers over battleships as you can one shot kill them fairly easily. 
  4.  Bait your enemy's shots when fighting a battleship, and if they sit bow on and refuse to turn, turn out and begin kiting when they're reloading. Fire your AP for superstructure and turrets then if you must switch to HE, use fires and secondaries to kill them while keeping the best possible angle. This may be considered a scrub strategy by some but if it works who cares?
  5.  Above all, be aware of situation and positioning, combine this with the points above as well as general German battleship play techniques, and you will truly be a force to be reckoned with. 

This is very much a "Quick Overview" type thing that I'm throwing out here to see how it is received. I'll be more than happy to write a more in depth version covering various scenarios and strategies, such as how to brawl multiple battleships, how to play defensive or offensive, what to do depending on what your team and the enemy are doing ect, if people want me to. 

Edited by Graf_Von_Spee, 10 May 2017 - 07:22 AM.

SireneRacker #2 Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

Captain

• Members

Nice writeup, but you should try and structure it a bit. Use paragraphs to make it easier to read so that it won't appear like a huge wall of text.

Proud member of [WAIFU], nothing beats Prinz Eugen

Torpedoes don't have any friends. So they will kill everything in their path. To prevent team kills we should all watch out where we fire those fishes. That means each and everyone of us, DDs of the second line!

No my name does NOT refer to those things from Odysseus! They refer to those loud things attached to a fire truck. Not to beautiful girls singing on the Ocean.

Graf_Von_Spee #3 Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:03 AM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

View PostSireneRacker, on 10 May 2017 - 03:59 AM, said:

Nice writeup, but you should try and structure it a bit. Use paragraphs to make it easier to read so that it won't appear like a huge wall of text.

I definitely plan to if I end up doing a detailed version. This was just something I threw together in a few mins

SireneRacker #4 Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

Captain

• Members

View PostGraf_Von_Spee, on 10 May 2017 - 11:03 AM, said:

I definitely plan to if I end up doing a detailed version. This was just something I threw together in a few mins

Didn't you plan a Prinz Eugen review? Well whatever the writeup is still good in terms of content, just the structure needs a rework. If I happen to end up with the Kurfürst one day (which I doubt) I'll keep it in mind,

Proud member of [WAIFU], nothing beats Prinz Eugen

Torpedoes don't have any friends. So they will kill everything in their path. To prevent team kills we should all watch out where we fire those fishes. That means each and everyone of us, DDs of the second line!

No my name does NOT refer to those things from Odysseus! They refer to those loud things attached to a fire truck. Not to beautiful girls singing on the Ocean.

ValkyrWarframe #5 Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

Captain

• Members

Key: *In top 50 players on the server, Can't afford at the moment, 

USN: Clemson, Benson, St. Louis, Cleveland, Atlanta* (Guide Coming Soon!), New Orleans, New York, North Carolina, Iowa, Strike Bogue, Strike Ranger, Strike Lexington

IJN/Fleet of Fog/Dragon: Shinonome, Hatsuharu, Kagero, ARP Ashigara/Haguro/Myoko/Nachi, Southern Dragon, Mogami, ARP Takao, Mikasa, ARP Haruna/Hiei/Kirishima/KongouNagamon, Amagi, Hiryu

Soviet Union/Russia/Royal Navy: Kiev, Ognevoi, Svietlana*, Kirov*(My Guide), Chapayev, Dmitri Donskoi, Moskva* (My Guide)Black Swan (kek), Fiji, Edinburgh, Neptune

Kriegsmarine/Marine NationaleT-22Konigsberg, Admiral Graf Spee, Yorck, Nassau, Gneisenau, Bismarck, Friant, Émile Bertin (Guide Coming Soon!), La Galissonniére, Dunkerque (Gift from TenguBlade)

BIGROB91 #6 Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Not a bad right up. Positioning is key. Did 330k DMg in a game with my gk yesterday. 

bassmasta76 #7 Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Nice write up, thanks for the tips.  

B

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users