How do I win games as a solo high tier BB?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

lemekillmister #21 Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:35 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View Postcrzyhawk, on 09 May 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

Fixed that for you.  There's a reason I don't like to play my ships higher than T8.  I don't like the way people play the game in those tiers, so I play tiers where I like the way people tend to play better.

I play mostly T8 but when I do play 9 and 10 I find the best way to go is play a DD. If not a DD, then a cruiser.

The last thing I want to play in a T10 battle is a BB...  actually, more specifically than that, the last thing I want to play in a T10 battle is a T10 BB.  I'd literally rather play my NC or AL in a T10 battle than my Yamato. 

* I don't play CVs, period. 

Edited by lemekillmister, 09 May 2017 - 07:08 PM.

I'm a spudman, I got eyes all around.

lron_Dog_of_Jutland #22 Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:53 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View Postcentarina, on 09 May 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

if you can do 100k dmg and tank 100k dmg,  you will be helping your team.      Always run premium heal and repair.    having enough situation awareness to push when opportunity comes, but run when you need to.  always have exit plan with cover.     learning to use cover is very important to reduce dmg.   beyond that you have 12 guns that can delete cruisers.  learn to aim well.  

BB= heavy tank, but even heavy tank cannot be allowed to be focused and expect survival.     avoid being focused.  pushing is all about knowing when.  

Pretty much this.

CaptGodzillaPig #23 Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:17 AM

Ensign

• Members

I hate to say this, but your first problem may be that you are in Montana.  Monty is a good enough ship, don't get me wrong, but to really be successful in her (solo) and carry your team you would have to be an OP player.  More likely than not you will be in for a quick exit if you are on your own as the GK's, Yam's, and T10 cruisers will make short work of you.  Torps can be a thorn in anyone's side, so you just have to keep changing speed and direction and not get into likely torp lanes.

Try finding a div mate to run with that will play in a cruiser or DD, even an Yam or GK would be fine as a BB running mate.  You need someone to keep the heat off you so to speak.  GK will appreciate your AA cover if you have a CV around and you will benefit from his secondaries if DD's or cruisers come a little too close. One of the guys I div with a lot recently runs a Hindy and he makes a great compliment to my GK.  It makes a world of difference as number of people taking liberties taking runs at me goes waaaay down.

Try to find a balance between running in and camping in the back.  I was lucky enough to div with a high win rate player from the forums not long ago and he had a way of placing himself (us) in spots on the map that allowed us to be close enough to provide good support on caps, but keep us covered from a lot of open fire.  I wish I could tell you HOW to do that, but it is different from game to game and map to map.  You have to hang back at the start long enough to be able to read how the other team is going to play it, then move into an uncontested, or lightly contested, spot and move in from a position of strength.  

That's about all I got.  

Every corpse on Mt Everest used to be a highly motivated person....

Pete_Darling #24 Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:39 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostUmikami, on 09 May 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

get a destroyer

it is easier to influence games in a DD

faster to get where you want to be

easier to avoid detection when you are there

easier to farm damage with killer torpedus

DD is the answer to ALL your BB problems

relax

enjoy

come to the bright side

the right side

the light side

Umikami you forgot - Get a German BB, Secondary Spec it, drive it like a DD :P

After playing Fat Freddy on the PT Server I found that more people follow the BB than me in the Yugumo but.... I'm way more annoying in my DD than in a BB and think I do more in Yugumo to win than I do an BB. 

Spyde #25 Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:35 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers

View Postcrzyhawk, on 09 May 2017 - 07:08 AM, said:

Fixed that for you.  There's a reason I don't like to play my ships higher than T8.  I don't like the way people play the game in those tiers, so I play tiers where I like the way people tend to play better.

Except it happens at all tiers.

Anything T6 and under is pretty poor game play from what ive seen. Its just a Derp fest.

--------------------------------------------------------

Best you can do is don't go off alone, stay with the main force and put out the dmg and move up as you can.

Edited by Spyde, 10 May 2017 - 01:50 PM.

[-K-] Kraken                                          

T10  CA/CL Des Moines, Zao, Moskva, Hindenburg, Minotaur, Henri IV DD Gearing, Shimakaze, Khabarovsk, Grozovoi, Z52 BB Montana, Yamato, Grober Kurfurst   

Carrier_Lexington #26 Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Ensign

• Members

Another recommendation: play super cautious until someone on your team is spotted. Once people begin to focus that person, you can be almost as aggressive as you want (just don't go broadside-on), and people will ignore you. Make sure that there are some islands around to get behind if they switch to you, and that you have allies nearby, but, once the enemy is focusing the poor sap noble martyr on your team, punish them for it.

"Heresy!"

MrDeaf #27 Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:25 AM

Admiral

• Members

why don't you like... you know... give us a replay to point out where you went wrong.

Subscribe to this Thread or Youtube for the latest videos.

The Corgiolis Effect: When you notice you need more torpedoes on your ship

Xenomancers #28 Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

I have 0 problems with Montana - it's fast, tough, and has massive damage. If you are having trouble I can almost 100% say your problem is positioning. I think Montana works best being back line but backline means you are with your fleet - it doesn't mean sitting in the back sniping at max range. I almost always start with HE loaded also - Your first target is most likely going to be a bow on BB or a DD so HE makes the most sense.

"Nevermind about maneuvers, go straight at 'em" - Lord Nelson

TenguBlade #29 Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:34 PM

Vice Admiral

• Members

View PostXenomancers, on 12 May 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

I have 0 problems with Montana - it's fast, tough, and has massive damage. If you are having trouble I can almost 100% say your problem is positioning. I think Montana works best being back line but backline means you are with your fleet - it doesn't mean sitting in the back sniping at max range. I almost always start with HE loaded also - Your first target is most likely going to be a bow on BB or a DD so HE makes the most sense.

That's not the problem OP is having.  The problem is that he can't win, and in this regard Montana does have some issues due to not having Iowa's speed or stealth (and thus the potential to turn a game around by making a tactical play).  I wouldn't really call it a problem with him when his performance in the Montana is above-average in all regards - even win rate.

Certainly not to the degree of problem winning I've been having with her.  The fact that I can't win with her is half the reason I quit playing Randoms at all, it's so frustrating to realize you doing 200k damage and stomping half of their team only turned the odds from a 5-minute steamroll match into a 4v1 at the end of 10 minutes.

Posted Image

Edited by TenguBlade, 12 May 2017 - 07:34 PM.

Don't know if you have a dark sense of humor?  If you laugh at this, you do.

IJN: Yamato, Amagi, Ibuki, Mogami, Shokaku, Hiryu, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikaze R, Katori, MikasaKongō, Myōkō, Kirishima, Haruna, Hiei, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro, TakaoSouthern Dragon

USN: Montana, Iowa, New Mexico, New Orleans, Pensacola, Cleveland, Langley/Bogue, Farragut

European Navies: Gnevny, Shchors, Nürnberg/Yorck, Bayern, Fiji, Blyskawica (Gift from Compassghost), Scharnhorst (First and only bought), Admiral Graf Spee

KaptainKaybe #30 Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

You're not the only one. I also have a miiiiiiserable time in my Montana. I do MUCH better in my NC and Alabama than Montana. My Montana average damage is caca.

Then again, Montana shares Iowa's ridiculously easy to hit citadel and is effectively more of a really sluggish battlecruiser than an end game battleship. In my very first game with her, I got 65k knocked off her in a single salvo from a Yamato 20km I hadn't even spotted yet. That pretty much set the tone for this ship for me from that point forward. Supposedly, this is changing soon. This ship badly needs a buff. Her server average numbers are *significantly* worse than GK or Yamato.

Personally, I really enjoy playing battleships until Tier 8, but I've noticed I am much more comfortable in cruisers in tiers 9 and 10 once they get their heal.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users